2017-2018 Louisiana State University - New Orleans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any news?

Members don't see this ad.

NFA’ed today, interviewed Mid March
I interviewed then as well, which means my letter is in my mailbox - but I’m out of town until Tuesday! The agony! I’ll update when I know ):

And congrats!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed then as well, which means my letter is in my mailbox - but I’m out of town until Tuesday! The agony! I’ll update when I know ):

And congrats!!
Made some one go open it lol. I’m also NFA!

And congrats!!

Ahh! I’m in the same boat too, will have to wait till Sunday to see though.

Wondering if they sent out acceptances or rejection letters.. all of the people I know got NFA as well lol

So a NFA either leads to an acceptance or waitlist? I'm confused about what it exactly means.

NFA. And everyone I know received NFAs also. Does anyone know how the waitlist is formed? Is it based on your interview date?

So a NFA either leads to an acceptance or waitlist? I'm confused about what it exactly means.

Not necessarily. It just means you're still under active consideration until the next advocacy meeting which should be at the end of April, I think. I think the waitlist is formed after the April meeting.

Reactions: 2 users
Did already NFA'd people get discussed at the March 23 meeting, or were only March interviews reviewed and sent letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at the admission statistics, last year 38% of their class were made up of women. They consistently have more men than women. However, this is really low for medical schools. Looking at the AMCAS statistics, it doesn't show this. It show's that more women apply and get into LSU NO, but their class statistics page says otherwise. Do you think LSU New Orleans has a bias against women? Or perhaps do you think that this cycle may be more favorable to women?

I was looking at the admission statistics, last year 38% of their class were made up of women. They consistently have more men than women. However, this is really low for medical schools. Looking at the AMCAS statistics, it doesn't show this. It show's that more women apply and get into LSU NO, but their class statistics page says otherwise. Do you think LSU New Orleans has a bias against women? Or perhaps do you think that this cycle may be more favorable to women?

The MSAR's data for 2017 matriculants are 103 female vs 92 male. 2016 does show ~39% female make up of the incoming class, but it looks like those numbers significantly shifted last year. I don't have any multi-year trend to look at, but I think 2016 is more than likely an outlier.

The MSAR's data for 2017 matriculants are 103 female vs 92 male. 2016 does show ~39% female make up of the incoming class, but it looks like those numbers significantly shifted last year. I don't have any multi-year trend to look at, but I think 2016 is more than likely an outlier.

It’s a lot to assume a bias within the school’s adcom. A school has complete control over which applicants it accepts but not which actually matriculate. Perhaps they fill the initial ~200 slots with a majority women, but that year many of those same women get into other programs and end up elsewhere. Then perhaps more men accepted slots off of the waitlist shifting the matriculation stat. There are so many scenarios that could shift gender/diversity stats from year to year in a sample size like 200 seats that jumping to assumptions like gender biases is perhaps a touch outrageous

So they will meet April 20th and turn around and meet again the first week of May?

I heard its the 3rd Friday of every month but based on last year's thread, I don't think anyone received a decision in late April. If I remember correctly, we got decisions in late March and then early May acceptances via phone and waitlist/rejections by snail mail that came out around mid May. So I think they bypassed the April meeting but I also could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard they meet every two weeks so that would fit the time line. I could be wrong though!

From what I've seen, New Orleans usually meets once a month. Shreveport meets every second Thursday, I think.

I heard its the 3rd Friday of every month but based on last year's thread, I don't think anyone received a decision in late April. If I remember correctly, we got decisions in late March and then early May acceptances via phone and waitlist/rejections by snail mail that came out around mid May. So I think they bypassed the April meeting but I also could be wrong.
This year they are planning to meet on April 20, as of this past week. Dr. Eubanks said they'll send out letters the week after that meeting, but I guess things are always subject to change! He said they'd meet again the first/second week of May.

Keep believing people. My phone call from Admissions came at mid-June while I was driving an ambulance truck, 2 months before class. This was after my March interview and after an NFA letter. Admissions will never forget you, not this cycle nor the next. Just keep having something to do, continue your current activities, brainstorm the next Personal Statement, open old MCAT material back up, or find more groups and trips to volunteer for; these will leave you either pleasantly surprised or at least more determined for another run.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I can tell you the class of 2021 is actually a 50/50 split, with slightly more (1 or 2) females than males.

I can tell you the class of 2021 is actually a 50/50 split, with slightly more (1 or 2) females than males.

Don’t bother, I shouldn’t have engaged either. The original poster committed to going to NYITCOM already, has only ever posted in NYIT boards save this one occasion, and seems to have dropped into this discussion purely with the intention of inciting controversy...for who knows what reason. Hooray trolls

Has anyone heard of LSU allowing deferrals? I start a really cool, once in a lifetime opportunity internship (and move away to a different city) at the end of May, and I don't really think it's fair to the people who are relying on me for me to leave them if I get accepted in July for example. Any thoughts?

Has anyone heard of LSU allowing deferrals? I start a really cool, once in a lifetime opportunity internship (and move away to a different city) at the end of May, and I don't really think it's fair to the people who are relying on me for me to leave them if I get accepted in July for example. Any thoughts?
Yes they do. Know people that did deferall for that exact reason. Contacting Eubanks is your best bet.

I haven't, but patiently waiting for good news
do you think there is any chance of getting good news though with all of the spots technically gone as of March 15th and the majority of the spots not opening up until May 1st? not trying to be a dick, genuinely asking :)

Yes they do. Know people that did deferall for that exact reason. Contacting Eubanks is your best bet.
probably a dumb question, but if this all happens, do you think it would be best to write like a formal letter or just call him?....does he even take calls?

Withdrawing my acceptance today - hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 7 users
No letter today and the last time they met on a Friday, I got a letter the following Thursday.

Do we think all applicants were discussed at last Friday's meeting that have interviewed?

I remember only getting one NFA letter last year and I interviewed pretty much exactly around the same time this year. Feb 22 last year and Feb 28 this year.

No letter today and the last time they met on a Friday, I got a letter the following Thursday.

Do we think all applicants were discussed at last Friday's meeting that have interviewed?

I remember only getting one NFA letter last year and I interviewed pretty much exactly around the same time this year. Feb 22 last year and Feb 28 this year.
Nah only the applicants that interviewed between the last meeting and last Friday’s meeting. All NFA applicants are reviewed at the advocacy meeting.

Nah only the applicants that interviewed between the last meeting and last Friday’s meeting. All NFA applicants are reviewed at the advocacy meeting.

I thought so, thanks for the clarification!