2016-2017 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when LSU will begin reviewing applications? I only ask because my premed advisor went to the field for 3 weeks without mailing my LOC. Apparently I'm SOL until June 25th.

For the 32 hour rule, say you've taken 60 or so credits post grad--is it the last 32 hours that are considered? I'm wondering because I did a Master's that gave me 33 credits but continued to take classes and am at 60+ credits now; the last 32 credits are higher than my Master's GPA. I'm probably splitting hairs here but that's what SDN is for, right?

Received the prompt on Friday. No essays, just print, fill in and return by mail. I believe reapps, like myself, have some short answer questions. Nothing too exciting.

Is anyone doing the optional letter?

"If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school."

"If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school."

I'm doing it. Will you write it as another statement or will you format it "Dear admissions committee..."

I'm doing it. Will you write it as another statement or will you format it "Dear admissions committee..."

I'm considering it. I'll format it as a letter since that's what the prompt suggests.

ED folks want to post stats?
I'll start it out:

non-trad, in-state, 4.0 gpa (32 hour rule) 517 MCAT (may 2016)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know what we put for our grades in classes that have lab/lecture combined? Same grade for both slots?

sent in my secondary and got an email saying they had received it. anyone received an email saying "complete" yet?

sent in my secondary and got an email saying they had received it. anyone received an email saying "complete" yet?

I got that email on July 7 but I haven't received an email saying my application is complete because my committee letter is still not in.
Also weird things.. They said they received my check and still haven't deposited it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can anyone send me the secondary?

For those of you filling out secondaries, how did you all go about the 1 line they provided for answering if you've ever volunteered or been employed at a health related institution? Would just listing the places you've done both be sufficient since there's another questionnaire that asks you to describe your duties?

I haven't received the "complete" email either. All of my paperwork and letters have been submitted.

I got that email on July 7 but I haven't received an email saying my application is complete because my committee letter is still not in.
Also weird things.. They said they received my check and still haven't deposited it?

My check was deposited today. Have you checked again?

According to last year's thread, interview notifications for ED applicants started August 19th and for RD started September 4th. I guess we have some time to wait.

According to last year's thread, interview notifications for ED applicants started August 19th and for RD started September 4th. I guess we have some time to wait.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one neuroticly reading through old threads.

Has anyone, that has everything submitted, received the "complete" email from LSU NO?
I haven't, but I called yesterday and asked if my app was complete and if I missed an email saying so, and she told me that they haven't sent out any emails to anyone yet. Hope that helps!

I haven't, but I called yesterday and asked if my app was complete and if I missed an email saying so, and she told me that they haven't sent out any emails to anyone yet. Hope that helps!

I got an email on 7/20 that I was incomplete the day before my letters were received by AMCAS on 7/21. Haven't received another email that they're received.

Anyone know if you're a reapplicant if you need new letters of recommendation? I just reread a rejection letter I received after being waitlisted that said "In order to reapply, you must again complete the entire process through AMCAS. Also it will be necessary for you to submit new letters of evaluation from faculty with whom you've taken coursework".

They literally told me I just need to get my MCAT higher so I just didn't think I would need new letters, just resubmit the ones I just used. I went through my school committee with the same letters, and they uploaded them and a new committee letter through AMCAS. Anyone know if I need to get 3 additional?

Anyone know if you're a reapplicant if you need new letters of recommendation? I just reread a rejection letter I received after being waitlisted that said "In order to reapply, you must again complete the entire process through AMCAS. Also it will be necessary for you to submit new letters of evaluation from faculty with whom you've taken coursework".

They literally told me I just need to get my MCAT higher so I just didn't think I would need new letters, just resubmit the ones I just used. I went through my school committee with the same letters, and they uploaded them and a new committee letter through AMCAS. Anyone know if I need to get 3 additional?

____

There is a file in the secondary application called "Confidential Evaluation Instructions." This document clarifies this as follows:

* * * INFORMATION FOR PREVIOUS APPLICANTS * * *

Letters sent in previous years from faculty members; immediate supervisor(s) or employer(s) are acceptable - this includes Pre-Medical Committee evaluations. In order to use these evaluations, we will need written authorization from the person(s) that previously wrote evaluations on your behalf."

Well that is interesting: this was Eubank's reply on this: "The premed committee is good. You cannot use the same letters. They may be from the same people, but can’t simply say 'use the ones from last year'".

Now I'm realizing after I've already replied to him that I have no idea if he meant you're good because you used the premed committee and they reupdated your letters or if that means I need to get more.. I'm even more confused now

____

There is a file in the secondary application called "Confidential Evaluation Instructions." This document clarifies this as follows:

* * * INFORMATION FOR PREVIOUS APPLICANTS * * *

Letters sent in previous years from faculty members; immediate supervisor(s) or employer(s) are acceptable - this includes Pre-Medical Committee evaluations. In order to use these evaluations, we will need written authorization from the person(s) that previously wrote evaluations on your behalf."

Just saw your reply. Thanks for finding that. Now I'm worried if my pre-med committee got authorization to use the letter when they met and re-uploaded, or if I needed to do that myself.. freaking out since isnt the deadline Monday?! I sent in my application the first day I could... and this just came up

Just saw your reply. Thanks for finding that. Now I'm worried if my pre-med committee got authorization to use the letter when they met and re-uploaded, or if I needed to do that myself.. freaking out since isnt the deadline Monday?! I sent in my application the first day I could... and this just came up

I'm not going to say don't make doubly-double-triple sure that the committee updated the letter/letter packet/whatever your committee's protocol is, but I wouldn't worry too hard about this. Committees are pretty good about reapplicant procedures and each and every committee has to likely deal with re-uploads for previous applicants each year. In most cases they just tend to change the dates on the letter(s). In some cases they send the same letter, update the dates, and want to meet with the re-applicant again to provide a brief statement that they, in so many words, "stand by their assessment of the applicant from the previous year(s)." Most will offer you the opportunity to interview again and create an entirely new committee letter, but that is for an added cost and obviously it's a tad too late to go that route.

Finally, and I don't know if this is 100% true, but I've heard through the grapevine that they either don't keep or don't have the time to go through all previous years' applications so they may not even go back (or be able to go back) and look at your old application. When they ask you about previous applications, I tend to believe that they take you at your word that you either have or haven't applied before and thus ask you to update them on your increased strength as an applicant.

Make sure through your committee, maybe write a line to Ms. Paulette, but definitely don't lose sleep over it.

Not to be annoying, but has anyone received their "complete" email yet? I'm getting a little worried because I sent my application in and it should have arrived on 7/25, but I haven't gotten an e-mail and my check hasn't even been deposited.

Not to be annoying, but has anyone received their "complete" email yet? I'm getting a little worried because I sent my application in and it should have arrived on 7/25, but I haven't gotten an e-mail and my check hasn't even been deposited.
Didn't get one either. I emailed and asked to make sure because of the ED deadline.

I mailed everything in and had my amcas letters submitted 7/8. I just got a confirmation email that my application was complete today.

I mailed everything in and had my amcas letters submitted 7/8. I just got a confirmation email that my application was complete today.

I also received my "Acknowledgement of Completion" email from admission today.

Looks like the ball is rolling now, hopefully we will get notified about an Interview in the next week or so

Reactions: 1 users
My letters on AMCAS were received on 7/20 and still haven't received the complete email
Welp

Edit: received complete email today on 8/9

Last edited:
Are all of you that are receiving e-mails from them ED? Because I got the email saying that they got my check and secondary on 6/30 and haven't heard anything since, and kinda freaking out now.

Are all of you that are receiving e-mails from them ED? Because I got the email saying that they got my check and secondary on 6/30 and haven't heard anything since, and kinda freaking out now.

I'm RD and received an email