2015-2016 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Screenshot (10).png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You are both wonderful thank you. I don't see # accepted, only matriculated, am I missing something?

Perhaps you meant that they accept 225 total? Well no it must be more than that...

Yeah, number # accepted is likely more! They don't have that info on MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are both wonderful thank you. I don't see # accepted, only matriculated, am I missing something?

Perhaps you meant that they accept 225 total? Well no it must be more than that...

Oops sorry! It is the number of matriculated students. The number of accepted students is higher then that.

It's in the image I just posted I believe under 'offers extended'

Wow, if I am reading this correctly then they really do not offer many OOS seats, although I am not sure I am, because this suggests nearly every OOS offer matriculates (25/25). Any chance you can direct us to the TMDSAS report you got this from? Thank you!

Wow, if I am reading this correctly then they really do not offer many OOS seats, although I am not sure I am, because this suggests nearly every OOS offer matriculates (25/25). Any chance you can direct us to the TMDSAS report you got this from? Thank you!
I found it on like page 15 of a 20 or something like that of a pdf someone posted in one of the other Texas thread. I'd have to go look for it specifically, but it was a report published by TMDSAS

The report is only through February so it doesn't include offers extended after that point.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone for posting all of that information!

The report is only through February so it doesn't include offers extended after that point.

Good point, i forgot to mention that but i thought it was useful to see nonetheless. Let's hope theres more love after feb for oos'ers!

These numbers don't quite add up... haha. Thanks for your reply. Anyone have MSAR? I've never had it so I'm not sure what info they provide.

Yeah I realized that I got the incoming class size wrong. Also, like someone else said, I didn't take into account that they will send out more acceptances than just their initial class size.

Hey guys,
I pre-matched here and I'm trying to decide how to rank the schools I've interviewed at. Could you all give me what you think are pros and cons for attending UTSA over the other Texas public schools?
Thanks and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
So, thoughts on second look for someone who could not attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Cookie04 Do you know what will be in the new building exactly? At least for School of Medicine purposes? I feel like I read about a new anatomy lab somewhere.

Nice. So did your visit make you more confident in your rankings?
Well I was already biased towards UTHSCSA before so the visit just solidified my rankings lol

And @Efflorescence the new building has a new virtual anatomy lab called bioviz, a new anatomy lab too (I think?) new study and lounge areas, a new cafeteria, and 4 new TBL spaces one of which sits 240 students I believe (24ish tables w/ 10 to a table). All of the study areas/TBL learning spaces will be open 24/7 for students. I think there is more but that's all they mentioned during 2nd look day.

Last edited:
A haiku:

I am out of state
Please accept me UTHSCSA
I love you so much

Reactions: 10 users
I managed to get a picture of the new main lecture hall. They will be putting monitors on all the tables while the professor walks around. It was very cool...and the room had a great view of San Antonio!

Attachments

• WP_20160109_16_55_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160109_16_55_11_Pro.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 170
I'd give my left nut
For UTHSCSA acceptance
Maybe my right too

Reactions: 5 users
@Chlorini so is that new TBL space or will it be for lecture?
It is a TBL learning space but will be used for lectures as well. As they explained to us there will still be some lectures in the traditional lecture halls and case presentations will also be in the old traditional lecture halls, but quizzes, any type of team learning activities, and many other lectures will be in the new TBL learning space. So I guess it just depends. Since there will be other students (nursing, PA, graduate students) using that building, Med students won't be using that TBL space all of the time.

Last edited:
I'm an OOS and was accepted a few weeks ago. (First acceptance and so excited!!) Since OOSers don't participate in match, does anyone know how long we have until we have to respond to the acceptance? Some date in April?

I'm an OOS and was accepted a few weeks ago. (First acceptance and so excited!!) Since OOSers don't participate in match, does anyone know how long we have until we have to respond to the acceptance? Some date in April?

Just accept it now. It is non-binding on your end and you will just need to withdraw by the traffic date, 4/30.

Also, congrats!

Just accept it now. It is non-binding on your end and you will just need to withdraw by the traffic date, 4/30.

Also, congrats!

Thanks!!
Do you know if there is a specific date I need to "accept" it by?

Thanks!!
Do you know if there is a specific date I need to "accept" it by?

I don't know, but I will just repeat that if you may want it, accept it now. There is literally no downside for you.

I'm assuming the same is not true if I am in state, correct?

I don't know about IS exactly. I would assume you can only rank one prematch at the top, which rejects the other prematches. This means that you should accept all offers and then rank accordingly.

Has anyone found a means to send any sort of update? I interviewed rather early, and I'm disappointed the committee might make their decision without some truly important updates that came in the past few months! (Apologies if I missed the answer to this earlier in the thread).

I would think any further news would come after match day.

I called and they said they have filled the 10% OOS amount, but will pull selectively OOS students whenever an OOS candidate drops

Out of curiosity do you know if this is the case for any of the other Texas Schools.

Pretty sure it is. Because its an OOS spot thats freeing up so they need to fill it with an OOS candidate

Eventhough it's extremely early in the process, I am literally so excited to get started that I just signed the lease for my first apartment ever last night! I sure hope I didn't mess up on those match preference rankings....

Eventhough it's extremely early in the process, I am literally so excited to get started that I just signed the lease for my first apartment ever last night! I sure hope I didn't mess up on those match preference rankings....

haha congrats!! Did you choose UTSA over all the other texas medical schools? I remember that you got prematched to all Texas schools so it should be fine right if you ranked it first? :)

haha congrats!! Did you choose UTSA over all the other texas medical schools? I remember that you got prematched to all Texas schools so it should be fine right if you ranked it first? :)

Yes I chose UTHSCSA! I know, in theory I should be fine if I ranked it first, but I'm really paranoid that I accidentally ranked them 2nd or something haha

Yes I chose UTHSCSA! I know, in theory I should be fine if I ranked it first, but I'm really paranoid that I accidentally ranked them 2nd or something haha

Not everyone chooses UTHSCSA over UTSW so that's interesting! I'm so happy for you! :)
I'm sure you'll be fine in regards to ranking... haha. As long as you submitted your ranking! imagine if you didn't... that would be a nightmare.

As long as you submitted your ranking! imagine if you didn't... that would be a nightmare.

On the subject of the rankings- are our rankings supposed to be gone from the ranking page on TMDSAS? I know I submitted my rank preferences well before the deadline, but I just checked and saw that the pre-match stuff and rankings are gone and it just says to check back match-day. Sorry for the paranoia, I hadn't used TMDSAS before!

Edit: just kidding, found my answer on the TMDSAS thread- phew! Was beginning to freak out there for a second lol

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be going here officially now.

First post on SDN but thought I better weigh in on going to UTHSCSA vs other schools. Came in as OOS student, now MS4. Had three acceptances including UTHSCSA, another Texas school, and an east coast school. Wish I would've taken the other larger and more renowned Texas school or east coast school now. Texas tempted me because even though I'm from Oklahoma originally most of my relatives live in Texas and friends moved there for school. Chose UTHSCSA because of a program I perceived as great and cheap tuition. Throughout my time there, I found it very difficult to make friends as compared to the east coast and that it is sometimes hard to get by without knowing Spanish. Additionally, I have not been a fan of the climate as it is above 100 very often. Finally, most of the professors I had were very uncaring and were gone the second after class, not caring about your questions or concerns (even in office hours). Although I excelled on the USMLE, my residency options are limited because of this school, and I will have to settle for a move to Louisiana into a residency I do not want ( at least I can get away from here though). Definitely do your research and weigh your other options before going here!

First post on SDN but thought I better weigh in on going to UTHSCSA vs other schools. Came in as OOS student, now MS4. Had three acceptances including UTHSCSA, another Texas school, and an east coast school. Wish I would've taken the other larger and more renowned Texas school or east coast school now. Texas tempted me because even though I'm from Oklahoma originally most of my relatives live in Texas and friends moved there for school. Chose UTHSCSA because of a program I perceived as great and cheap tuition. Throughout my time there, I found it very difficult to make friends as compared to the east coast and that it is sometimes hard to get by without knowing Spanish. Additionally, I have not been a fan of the climate as it is above 100 very often. Finally, most of the professors I had were very uncaring and were gone the second after class, not caring about your questions or concerns (even in office hours). Although I excelled on the USMLE, my residency options are limited because of this school, and I will have to settle for a move to Louisiana into a residency I do not want ( at least I can get away from here though). Definitely do your research and weigh your other options before going here!

Why would you post this on Match Day? After all, our fate is already sealed lol! Also..how do you know that you are going to LA? Match results aren't known until March I thought. What specialty are you going in to?

Reactions: 6 users
I'm sorry you have experienced that. That is very interesting to hear though as I haven't even started school at UTHSCSA yet and I have already made great friends that are MS1's, MS2's, and 1 MS4 and their experiences are completely opposite of yours including their experiences with the professors. They were all IS though so maybe that had a little extra to do with it. Anyway good luck in your future!

Edit- and in regards to the weather...It is Texas lol

Reactions: 5 users

First of all, telling people this on match day is frankly a bit mean. Second, it sounds like you don't really like Texas and that's your main problem. Third, I reviewed their match lists and they are just about the same as most Texas schools (besides Baylor/UTSW). If you "excelled" at USMLE I don't understand why you would have so much trouble getting a residency unless there are other issues. Finally, I've met several professors and students who absolutely love it and the learning environment. I'm sorry you did not have a good experience at this school, but there is no need to bring so much negativity into a happy day for most of us. I'm sure there are some aspects of the school you found positive and I think we would enjoy hearing those in addition to your criticisms.

Reactions: 3 users

Why do you think attending this school limited your residency options?