2015-2016 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So does it sound like we will be hearing soon with rejections? :(
That seemed to be the implication. They said they sent out all the alternate list emails. I hope I'm wrong or misunderstood...

Maybe there are more coming? It seems strange that all the posters who got the waitlist email are IS and all the OOS posters did not.
Maybe you're right. The lady I spoke to made it seem like all of the emails were sent out though. Are we sure that none of the posters were OOS? It seems like most of them didn't disclose. I hope there's still a chance but the conversation I had didn't seem very encouraging and she broke the news in a similar manner to how my dad told me that my pet rat died when I was a kid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you're right. The lady I spoke to made it seem like all of the emails were sent out though. Are we sure that none of the posters were OOS? It seems like most of them didn't disclose. I hope there's still a chance but the conversation I had didn't seem very encouraging and she broke the news in a similar manner to how my dad told me that my pet rat died when I was a kid.

I'm not sure if they've changed how they do things in the last couple of years, but I interviewed as OOS in August and didn't hear a single thing post-interview (i.e. nothing about a wait list) until they accepted me at the end of May. I had long assumed that I was rejected and was getting ready to go to a different school. So at the risk of giving you false hope (again, things might have changed in the last 2 years), there might still be hope.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if they've changed how they do things in the last couple of years, but I interviewed as OOS in August and didn't hear a single thing post-interview (i.e. nothing about a wait list) until they accepted me at the end of May. I had long assumed that I was rejected and was getting ready to go to a different school. So at the risk of giving you false hope (again, things might have changed in the last 2 years), there might still be hope.

Thank you so much and congrats on your success :cat:

hmmm maybe there was just a misunderstanding between me and whoever I spoke with. I certainly hope so.

hmmm maybe there was just a misunderstanding between me and whoever I spoke with. I certainly hope so.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...an-antonio-application-thread.1074053/page-14

In the thread from last year, it seems as though some odd movement took place:
"Just got an email from Dr. Jones saying that the committee was expanding the alternate pool by a few people and that they wanted to put me into it. I got rejected from here post interview a few months ago so this came as quite a surprise."
SECrazorhogs, 06.10.15

I would have to think that they accounted for this for the current cycle by interviewing/ placing more people on the waitlist. Which unfortunately would still make us SOL.
But... until the rejection comes, who knows for sure. I'm going to try and not think about it.

Can any OOS people chime in if they got waitlisted? Thanks. Also curious if anyone has been rejected?

Can any OOS people chime in if they got waitlisted? Thanks. Also curious if anyone has been rejected?
I called and they don't do a waitlist for non Texas residents. I guess that means we are all waitlisted in a way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

Bad news OOS folks. The alternate list included in state and out of state applicants. I just called and asked.

Sorry for freaking everyone out but there must have been a misunderstanding between me and the admissions person I spoke with. I called again last week and they said they don't do a waitlist for OOS.

Sorry for freaking everyone out but there must have been a misunderstanding between me and the admissions person I spoke with. I called again last week and they said they don't do a waitlist for OOS.

Great news! Thanks for calling and sharing. I try to take everything from SDN with a grain of salt ;) so hope was not all dashed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Phew... thank goodness. Not gonna lie, I was pretty down that day that you told us that, but I'm glad to hear we haven't been axed yet!

Great news! Thanks for calling and sharing. I try to take everything from SDN with a grain of salt ;) so hope was not all dashed.
Haha that's a good policy. I'm glad I called again too. I was confused on why they hadn't formally rejected me considering that the alternate list was sent out a while ago.

Phew... thank goodness. Not gonna lie, I was pretty down that day that you told us that, but I'm glad to hear we haven't been axed yet!
Shoot, I'm sorry about that. Good thing I was wrong.

So if there is no wait list for OOSers, does that mean that they haven't accepted anyone from the OOS pool? Or are we just kind of in limbo/purgatory? I'm too lazy to go through all the pages to look for OOS acceptances. I remember hearing what the one student who said he didn't hear a peep until May when they accepted him...

So if there is no wait list for OOSers, does that mean that they haven't accepted anyone from the OOS pool? Or are we just kind of in limbo/purgatory? I'm too lazy to go through all the pages to look for OOS acceptances. I remember hearing what the one student who said he didn't hear a peep until May when they accepted him...
They have. They are at capacity right now. As OOS applicants give up their seats, they will accept more until the shuffling is done. I doubt there will be much movement until May.

Last edited:
They have. They are at capacity right now. As OOS applicants give up their seats, they will accept more until the shuffling is done. I doubt there will be much movement until May.
So if there is no wait list for OOSers, does that mean that they haven't accepted anyone from the OOS pool?

My two cents of understanding/ guessing, for what its worth, is that there is no OOS waitlist because they try to carefully select for diversity (in a range of ways, i.e. nontrad not just gender/ race) and because the OOS matriculating pool is so small, revisiting each time makes more sense than a ranked waitlist.

They did tell me that we are each "scored" so there is a way of compiling our stats and interview reviews... but I suppose its not a rigid ranking.

My two cents of understanding/ guessing, for what its worth, is that there is no OOS waitlist because they try to carefully select for diversity (in a range of ways, i.e. nontrad not just gender/ race) and because the OOS matriculating pool is so small, revisiting each time makes more sense than a ranked waitlist.

They did tell me that we are each "scored" so there is a way of compiling our stats and interview reviews... but I suppose its not a rigid ranking.

Good to know. Haha if it's diversity they're after, then I'm screwed. Hooray for white Mormon male traditional students in Utah!!

Would it do me any good to contact them and verify my application status/give them any updates? It is just obnoxious that it has been silent for so long... What do you think?

Would it do me any good to contact them and verify my application status/give them any updates? It is just obnoxious that it has been silent for so long... What do you think?

When I sent a letter of update a few months ago, they told me that they don't really accept updates, or they will file it but it doesn't affect your standing because they have already assigned a composite number to your application.

That said, I just sent a few letters to schools which SDN claims have finished interviewing for the cycle, because I have nothing to lose.

In conclusion, why not? If nothing else it shows you are still interested. And if you discover anything such as the fate of OOS post-ii apps at this point, I would love to hear it.

Hey guys, 2017 applicant here, but no such threads yet.

I just visited the TMDSAS website and now it says you are required to have THREE recommendation letter if you don't have a committee letter. It used to be TWO letters, with a third being optional (as many of you know). So, basically, wtf? Am I going to need to rush a third letter of rec now?

Hey guys, 2017 applicant here, but no such threads yet.

I just visited the TMDSAS website and now it says you are required to have THREE recommendation letter if you don't have a committee letter. It used to be TWO letters, with a third being optional (as many of you know). So, basically, wtf? Am I going to need to rush a third letter of rec now?

If it says three letters are required then three letters are required. You have plenty of time since TMDSAS doesn't open until May and the app review process for Texas schools doesn't even start until mid-late June. Getting your application turned in on May 1st doesn't really set you apart from those who turned in their application on May 31st; both dates are extremely early. Even June is considered early, late June to early July is peak time when most apps are sent in anyway.

If it says three letters are required then three letters are required. You have plenty of time since TMDSAS doesn't open until May and the app review process for Texas schools doesn't even start until mid-late June. Getting your application turned in on May 1st doesn't really set you apart from those who turned in their application on May 31st; both dates are extremely early. Even June is considered early, late June to early July is peak time when most apps are sent in anyway.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm just worried my third letter won't be as strong as the other two, as we're all trying to maximize our chances to get in. It just blows my mind how I missed this and was lucky to stumble on this by chance.

Withdrew my OOS acceptance today - hopefully someone else gets the spot who needs it!

I was so close to actually attending here, it is sort of sad to withdraw. I guess I won't ever go live in Texas!

Reactions: 3 users
If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose to withdraw?

UTHSCSA is great, but I am opting to attend a school that I feel is a better fit for me. The factors that go into that will probably vary greatly from person to person. They were also kind enough to offer me scholarships and grants that made the COA lower than UTHSCSA.

Reactions: 1 users
I spoke with admissions today and they are trying to get notifications out to OOS applicants by the end of this month.

I spoke with admissions today and they are trying to get notifications out to OOS applicants by the end of this month.

Yikes.. this sounds like "rejections" ...

Hey guys sorry for the late post but I'm in state and I was taken off the waitlist and was accepted on Wednesday. Good luck to the rest of you all!

Reactions: 10 users
Hey guys sorry for the late post but I'm in state and I was taken off the waitlist and was accepted on Wednesday. Good luck to the rest of you all!
That's great! Congrats!!

Do you mind posting your stats and if you sent any updates/anything else to the admissions committee after receiving word that you were waitlisted?

Congratulations to you all! I'm an MSIV who just finished my last day yesterday. If you guys have any questions I'll try to answer them as best as I can. If not then have fun over the next 4 years, it really is awesome.

Congratulations to you all! I'm an MSIV who just finished my last day yesterday. If you guys have any questions I'll try to answer them as best as I can. If not then have fun over the next 4 years, it really is awesome.

So is UTHSCSA not releasing their match list this year? Were the results not that great or something?

So is UTHSCSA not releasing their match list this year? Were the results not that great or something?
yeah I'm still waiting on the match list too. I haven't seen any statistics on how many of our students had to soap and who picked up spots in the soap. But if they publish the list I'll be sure to post it in the match thread. Someone said they were going to post it a week ago but I haven't seen or heard anything. I'm curious about it too...

Any OOSers who haven't been notified of their status getting in or getting in off "waitlist." Anyone receiving communications from the school? I haven't heard a peep since last August.

You should ask your school to release this year's Match list online and to the public (as done every other year, except this one). Pretty weird to see UTSA withhold their 2016 Match list when every other Texas school has released theirs.

You should ask your school to release this year's Match list online and to the public (as done every other year, except this one). Pretty weird to see UTSA withhold their 2016 Match list when every other Texas school has released theirs.
I don't think they are withholding the match list. From what I understand, there is a new dean. Have you tried calling and asking for a copy of the match list or asking if they intend to publish it?

I don't think they are withholding the match list. From what I understand, there is a new dean. Have you tried calling and asking for a copy of the match list or asking if they intend to publish it?

I am not sure how having a new dean is preventing them from continuing an almost nationwide tradition of releasing yearly NRMP match lists.

I am not too interested in this list myself, as I go to another Texas med school; I was just making a suggestion to @Tipsy McStagger.

I am not sure how having a new dean is preventing them from continuing an almost nationwide tradition of releasing yearly NRMP match lists.

I am not too interested in this list myself, as I go to another Texas med school; I was just making a suggestion to @Tipsy McStagger.
Another school I interviewed at hasn't publicly released their match list but they gave it to me when I asked and it was a great list. I don't think it's that uncommon. I might be wrong. I just doubt they are trying to keep it from everyone. A new dean could explain why the way things are running this year aren't the same as in the past.

They didn't release their match list in 2014 either.

I guess they've become inconsistent about it since 2014, in which case @ChackieJan's explanation (i.e., that they have a new dean) is less likely to be the case.

Either way, I would be a worried pre-med if I had been accepted to this school and had no idea of what their most recent match cycle looked like.

@Cinematographer, you seem to have some insider information, or at least more than we seem to know. I saw your posts in the Match 2016 list thread and it seems that you're suggesting San Antonio is "hiding" their match list because students did not match or did not match well. On the EM forum (post #6 here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/match-day.1188538/ ), I read that 15% of the class of a "mid-tier school in TX" did not initially match. Based on your post here, it seems that school is UTHSCSA. Care to share what you know?

I guess they've become inconsistent about it since 2014, in which case @ChackieJan's explanation (i.e., that they have a new dean) is less likely to be the case.

Either way, I would be a worried pre-med if I had been accepted to this school and had no idea of what their most recent match cycle looked like.
I agree that if they are unwilling to share their match list it is cause for concern. I just don't have any reason to think they are unwilling. As far as I know, nobody has asked for it and been denied. I just sent them an email asking about it. No reason to worry yet, IMO.

@Cinematographer, you seem to have some insider information, or at least more than we seem to know. I saw your posts in the Match 2016 list thread and it seems that you're suggesting San Antonio is "hiding" their match list because students did not match or did not match well. On the EM forum (post #6 here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/match-day.1188538/ ), I read that 15% of the class of a "mid-tier school in TX" did not initially match. Based on your post here, it seems that school is UTHSCSA. Care to share what you know?

I'm a senior at another Texas MD school (also within the UT system), going into Emergency Medicine. From my interactions with UTHSCSA seniors, this year's match was a rough one. Keep in mind, however, that these comments were made by UTHSCSA seniors who applied for Emergency Medicine positions, so they might not be true for other specialties. I just wanted to know how many of their 30-something EM applicants actually matched into EM this year.