2015-2016 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations on y'all's acceptances to UTHSCSA SOM Class of 2020! We are very excited for you to begin your journey to become future physicians. The current medical students are excited to answer any questions you may have. Please make sure to join the FB group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/950989391627339/

If you are waiting to hear back good news from us, hold on tight! As many of you already know, you'll find out in early February and can be taken off the waitlist during the summer before school starts. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me.

-Akshay, MS1

Hi Akshay, thank you for your encouragement. Can you shed any light on what OOS post-interview process is? Will we also find out in February?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Akshay, thank you for your encouragement. Can you shed any light on what OOS post-interview process is? Will we also find out in February?

I too am interested in this, hope you can provide some useful info!

30 mcat. 3.4 cGPA. 3.15 sGPA. IS. Can I still hope for an II?

I will just say I had some of my favorite interviews here.

I did have an hour gap, so bring a few bucks to get something from Starbucks if you want. That's my advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Any new pre-match offers being sent lately?

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an email for the official 2nd look in January, and I will definitely be attending. I hope to see some of you there!

I was accepted into a more "prestigious" school than this one but I'm still holding out for an OOS acceptance from here... complete silence since my interview in August! :( of course, I am under no illusion that this is a good sign. Please love me UTHSCSA!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email for the official 2nd look in January, and I will definitely be attending. I hope to see some of you there!

Same, but it is such short notice! Sadly I do not think I will be able to attend due to other obligations that weekend.

Do you think we can bring a significant other to the second look event?

Has anybody been offered II from UTHSCSA recently? I read on the main website that they interview through Jan 11 but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.

Is the official second look the same as accepted students day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same, but it is such short notice! Sadly I do not think I will be able to attend due to other obligations that weekend.
Same! Would it look bad to not attend the second look? I've already taken too many "vacation days" from work for interviews, so I'm not too sure if I'd even be able to get this as well, especially if it isn't a requirement :(

OOS here, interviewed in September. I sent an update last week and got a reply that they do not accept updates once a final decision has been made. I had a minor heart attack and called the office to ask if I had been rejected, to which they responded that "final decision" meant that they had assigned a number to my file and do no revisit that number once it is made. I assume this effectively is a ranked waitlist. I realize there is a dismal number of OOS seats and am managing expectations, but thought others OOS might be comforted by this information. Also, if you are OOS with an acceptance and not planning to attend... we will love you eternally for withdrawing.

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone has any luck with sending in a letter of interest? I was told they do not accept anything outside the application but was wondering if anyone successfully sent a letter of interest here or perhaps emailed the new interim dean?

Has anyone has any luck with sending in a letter of interest? I was told they do not accept anything outside the application but was wondering if anyone successfully sent a letter of interest here or perhaps emailed the new interim dean?

I tried to send one to Dr. Jones the previous Dean and was told they didn't accept them and they only accept updates through TMDSAS (which btw is impossible). I'm not sure about the interim dean though.

OOS here, interviewed in September. I sent an update last week and got a reply that they do not accept updates once a final decision has been made. I had a minor heart attack and called the office to ask if I had been rejected, to which they responded that "final decision" meant that they had assigned a number to my file and do no revisit that number once it is made. I assume this effectively is a ranked waitlist. I realize there is a dismal number of OOS seats and am managing expectations, but thought others OOS might be comforted by this information. Also, if you are OOS with an acceptance and not planning to attend... we will love you eternally for withdrawing.
Thank you very much for sharing this information!! I had thought about sending a letter of intent, but knowing this, perhaps it will not be useful...

Have any of you received the evite for second look?? In the e-mail they stated it would be sent by the end of last week. I haven't received it yet...

Have any of you received the evite for second look?? In the e-mail they stated it would be sent by the end of last week. I haven't received it yet...

I only received the original email, not the mentioned e-vite. I am sad to not be going, but can't miss a wedding.

I only received the original email, not the mentioned e-vite. I am sad to not be going, but can't miss a wedding.

Bummer! I'll let you know how it goes!

Have any OOSers been rejected post-interview? Is there still hope for OOS acceptances? Haven't heard anything since my interview back at the beginning of August.

I just received it literally 30 minutes after your post. I wonder if the admissions office is stealthily following this thread...

Reactions: 3 users
Just got it! Lol

Haha just got it!!

Have any OOSers been rejected post-interview? Is there still hope for OOS acceptances? Haven't heard anything since my interview back at the beginning of August.

I too am interested in this. I think our best bet at this point unfortunately is to get off the waitlist in the late spring...because it seems like we've definitely been put on the wait-and-see list.

For all of you wondering, UTHSCSA has begun sending out scholarships.

For all of you wondering, UTHSCSA has begun sending out scholarships.

Did you get one? Noticed they want a respond of consideration through email. How would one respond to this?

Did you get one? Noticed they want a respond of consideration through email. How would one respond to this?
Yes, I just sent an email that basically said thank you. I think they just want to know that you received the email.

I too am interested in this. I think our best bet at this point unfortunately is to get off the waitlist in the late spring...because it seems like we've definitely been put on the wait-and-see list.
The past two years someone OOS has been accepted after Christmas and before the wait list. I interviewed Oct. 12 and no OOSers I'm aware of have been accepted since Oct. 15th. I doubt my file was even reviewed in time to be accepted on the 15th.

My hope is that they accept in 2 bunches before wait listing: Oct 15th and the first Monday after Christmas. It looks like it might be that way based on past threads. I still BELIEVE!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm assuming that all interview invitations have been given out already. Do you think this is a reasonable assumption? I believe Jan 11th was the final interview day according to their website.
You could call admissions and ask. It seems like they may extend invitations still as others cancel their interview. I'm not sure how they handle that. I suspect they are done for the most part though.

So I have a post-acceptance question, would I still have to send in an "updated" transcript to this school even if I graduated in May and haven't taken any other courses?

Also for those accepted, have any of you guys done the background check yet?

So I have a post-acceptance question, would I still have to send in an "updated" transcript to this school even if I graduated in May and haven't taken any other courses?

Also for those accepted, have any of you guys done the background check yet?
Yeah I did the background check right after accepting the offer just to be on the safe side. Got the results the next day from the company

Yeah I did the background check right after accepting the offer just to be on the safe side. Got the results the next day from the company

That's strange, I never heard back from the company.

That's strange, I never heard back from the company.
I know you had to opt in to receive a copy of the results, which I did. If you didn't slept that option then I imagine not hearing back is probably normal.

I know you had to opt in to receive a copy of the results, which I did. If you didn't slept that option then I imagine not hearing back is probably normal.

Ohhhh yeah!

I interviewed on 12/7 and I am still not seeing UTSA under my TMDSAS school rank preference. Anyone else having this issue?

Does anyone know if the admissions office is closed this week? I tried calling to perhaps check on the status of my application (OOS) and it went straight to voicemail. My fiance matched here as a MS4 last week, so I'm still holding out hope for this school (though I know it very well may be a long wait)! Congrats to those receiving scholarships!

Just got accepted here!

3.6 30 IS non-trad

Congrats, y'all!!! So who is going to second look???