2015-2016 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did you find the link for the supplemental? I can't find it lol. My e-mail says the "2016 UCLA applicant Status database". help please
Click on the second link where it has the status updates. Then click on "Requested" and then "Proceed"

EDIT: link: https://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/applications/appstat/appforms/statusmain.asp

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary screen does not look to be too intense. Anyone know it it was just a stats screen?

Is anyone having trouble submiting?

EDIT: It turns out the UCLA supplementary will not let you save/submit if you have any typos in your essays. Proofread first, folks!

Last edited:
Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life: (800 max)

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 max)

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (800 max)

Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the

expected time of medical school matriculation? (yes or no). If yes, please explain. (800 max)

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (800 max)

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)?

Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 max)

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (800 max)

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked

(list the most recent first). (800 max

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the

box labeled "hardship" and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship.Include any geographic, language, economic, academic,

physical, or mental factors. (800 max)

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (800 max)

800 words max each?

Got the secondary! IS, and my first secondary from a UC

For the income info during our childhood, I was able to get some income taxes during some of the years. Can we estimate or do they really want us to get the exact income from like 1997 lol?
I think since it's a range, you probably average during that age range. So from ages 6-11, your family might've made $23k on average or something.

Reactions: 1 user
For the hardship question, would it be better to include an aspect I didn't write about in my disadvantaged essay or to repeat some of it? It looks like the people reviewing secondaries aren't the same people reviewing primaries since they ask for so much info from the primary. Thoughts?
Maybe you can expand on what you said in your primary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know why they ask in such detail about income and assets and liabilities?

Do they not believe applicants about being disadvantaged, or is this to prevent rich people from hiding their income in assets and claiming disadvantaged status?

These seem very invasive for something that isn't a financial aid application.

Also, aren't they supposed to evaluate your candidacy separately from your ability to pay? Feels like I'm going to fill this out and let a bunch of wealthy people be spectators to my family's struggle and that's pretty scary.

I'm very confused. I did not remember seeing any questions about income, assets, and liabilities...?

Does anyone know why they ask in such detail about income and assets and liabilities?

Do they not believe applicants about being disadvantaged, or is this to prevent rich people from hiding their income in assets and claiming disadvantaged status?

Also, aren't they supposed to evaluate your candidacy separately from your ability to pay? Feels like I'm going to fill this out and let a bunch of wealthy people be spectators to my family's struggle and that's pretty scary.

I don't remember such questions.

But anyways, being poor is not a bad thing (in fact, it probably helps with admissions).

I'm guessing it comes up if you're claiming hardship. I didn't see any of that, either.

These questions only appear if you marked/considered yourself from a disadvantaged background. They ask about your finances in detail to make sure if you are "truly" disadvantaged . Just got a secondary, re-applicant and hoping for some love this year

Last edited:
I don't remember such questions.

But anyways, being poor is not a bad thing (in fact, it probably helps with admissions).
I think when AMCAS lists you as disadvantaged, UCLA asks more questions.

They're just very detailed. I know that it isn't a disadvantage to have low SES, but it's painful to know that so many people who don't understand that experience are going to be seeing this information.

To those who received secondaries, when were you verified?

Is anyone having trouble submiting?

EDIT: It turns out the UCLA supplementary will not let you save/submit if you have any typos in your essays. Proofread first, folks!

Do you know if the system maintains line and paragraph breaks after submission?

Correct if I am wrong folks, but UCLA looks at applicants holistically so it's not just based on stats. I am sure they read everything. :)

Wow! I was only just verified this weekend and I received the secondary this morning! Are they not screening for secondaries this year? I thought UCLA was supposed to be pretty rigorous in their screens. Seems crazy that I would get through that fast.

I was verified early in june, but i didnt get the secondary. =[ UCLA is my dream school too...

Just from looking at some of the MDApps for some these people who have gotten secondaries and have an available MDApps, I have consistently seen pretty high MCAT's on the order of 36+. That is not to say at all that it was the only reason people got secondaries, please let me now if there are people in here who got the secondary with lower MCAT scores. I'm just hoping they are starting with higher stats and working their way down while also considering the whole AMCAS application.

Just from looking at some of the MDApps for some these people who have gotten secondaries and have an available MDApps, I have consistently seen pretty high MCAT's on the order of 36+. That is not to say at all that it was the only reason people got secondaries, please let me now if there are people in here who got the secondary with lower MCAT scores. I'm just hoping they are starting with higher stats and working their way down while also considering the whole AMCAS application.

I agree!

Also, love your avatar and profile quote! The score is still Q to 12!

35 MCAT here. Not much of a difference, but still.

I'm glad to see some other SDN'ers burning the midnight oil here :p

I agree!

Also, love your avatar and profile quote! The score is still Q to 12!

You also have to hop on one foot if you don' t touch the flag haha

35 MCAT here. Not much of a difference, but still.

Thanks for the quick response! Hopefully they will be looking into the 33/34 range soon. I am a reapp here and got the secondary when I applied last time so I'm hoping for a little bit of love here.

Reactions: 1 users

Received a secondary and submitted today. I have a relatively low MCAT (29-31), varied EC's/life experiences, and UCLA is my alma mater. I hope you get one!

Reactions: 2 users
Received a secondary today! But with the pent up list of secondaries I already have hope to have it done by the end of the month. Lets see.

Submitted! Huge reach for me but I'll keep dreaming.

Received a secondary and submitted today. I have a relatively low MCAT (29-31), varied EC's/life experiences, and UCLA is my alma mater. I hope you get one!
When were you verified?

If anyone knows, are your chances of getting an interview after being screened for a secondary depends on how well you respond to the essay questions (assuming you fit the school's mission). Thank you all in advance !

I'm glad to see some other SDN'ers burning the midnight oil here :p

You also have to hop on one foot if you don' t touch the flag haha

Thanks for the quick response! Hopefully they will be looking into the 33/34 range soon. I am a reapp here and got the secondary when I applied last time so I'm hoping for a little bit of love here.
I'm a reapp too! Don't fret :)

Do you guys know how they select applicants for interviews? If someone passed their initial review, what elements do they focus on for a possible interview invitation? I feel that most of these secondary questions are redundant and very similar to the primary AMCAS application. Any thoughts? :)

I'm a little envious of people getting secondaries already b/c I applied PRIME only so I won't get anything before early September haha.
BUT OTOH i am not complaining about not having to fill out the long questions you hotties have to write ;P

For any disadvantaged applicants, I worked mostly during my post-bacc and not much during undergrad. Any suggestions how I should input hours worked per week from 18-current years?

Hey,
I am not sure what question you are trying to answer:

From the disadvantaged they ask you
"-Annual Income - 18- current " They do not ask you about the hours.

From the general secondary-

"8- List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked"

So, I am assuming you are asking about the latter. I would just put the "periods" of different averages of hours.

Thats what I did to mine.
I.E : Research assistant: *08/2011- 01/2013- avg 35 hours/week
*02/2013- 01/2015- avg 20 hours/week

I have a 32 and 3.7 and received a secondary.

starting to get impatient/nervous... When were you verified?
I was verified like june 3rd and i didnt get a secondary. I know one of my friend didnt submit his primary until like june 12 and got a secondary. I think the initial screen is a computer stat screen like all the other UCs. If you dont make the cutoff, im hoping they read your app manually and see if you qualify for secondary

starting to get impatient/nervous... When were you verified?
last year people were still getting secondaries in September...this is a marathon, not a sprint. learn that and stay sane! Ignore that and wallow in self-pity..

For the one most unique leadership, entrepeneurial, or creative activity question...
In high school I played piano competitively, and I actually performed a personal concert, 1 hour long program, for ~50 people in my senior year, sort of as my going-away project for my studio. I don't play piano competitively anymore - just recreationally, maybe 1 hr a week, and I know generally these adcomms what college activities, but I do think that that concert was definitely my most unique creative activity ever. Any advice? Thanks!

For the one most unique leadership, entrepeneurial, or creative activity question...
In high school I played piano competitively, and I actually performed a personal concert, 1 hour long program, for ~50 people in my senior year, sort of as my going-away project for my studio. I don't play piano competitively anymore - just recreationally, maybe 1 hr a week, and I know generally these adcomms what college activities, but I do think that that concert was definitely my most unique creative activity ever. Any advice? Thanks!

i think that's fine to talk about something you're passionate about. adcoms understand that people get busier in college, but as long as other parts of your app show that you're still somehow involved in music, then i think its a great answer. its good to give them a well-rounded view of yourself