2015-2016 Indiana University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty surprised as well. I doubt the last admissions meeting only came out with a few acceptances. Usually everyone gets the status change at around the same time though which is confusing me.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted via letter today!

Interviewed 9/9.
Lizzy M <70.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding from the admissions page at IUSM is as follows:

Regular acceptances are send out every 15th through March 15th. Everyone else is "unofficially" waitlisted or denied
April 15th - Campus assignments go out
After campus assignments, a lot of accepted students drop out for another school because they didn't get their preferred campus
Those "drop out" spots are filled with people from the "unofficial waitlist"
By June 1st, final admission, waitlist and denials are sent out.

https://admissions.medicine.iu.edu/applying-to-the-iu-school-of-medicine/applicant-instructions/

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations!! Looks like there is still hope for the rest of us :)

Reactions: 1 users
Wonderful mail here today too! Woo hoo! Hope everyone else gets good news today too!

Reactions: 2 users
For the people who got letters today, how far are you from the Indy campus? I'm several hours away, so I'm hoping maybe my letter is just taking longer to get here...? I'm being cautiously optimistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people who got letters today, how far are you from the Indy campus? I'm several hours away, so I'm hoping maybe my letter is just taking longer to get here...? I'm being cautiously optimistic.
I'm still holding out hope for tomorrow. I live about 2 hours from Indy, and our mail service isn't the best. Cautiously optimistic as you said...

An hour and 20 mins from IUPUI.

3 hours away from Indianapolis. :soexcited: ACCEPTED!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to all who have been accepted! Did they send letters to your permanent or preferred address?

I'm hoping that there are more acceptances on the way. Only two new people have been added to the IUSM Class of 2020 Facebook page.
What is the link for this Facebook group of which you speak?

Accepted!
OOS - CA
received a letter in the mail postmarked 2/16/16 - no portal update
Interviewed 1/13 (don't be put out by how recent my interview date was)
Stats:
3.58ish GPA
512 MCAT
excellent interview

After reading many posts, I have been dying to say that I really do not think post interview acceptance has anything to do with stats. If they offered you an interview, you have clearly passed the preliminary stat screening. Acceptance after you have interviewed is most-likely based on your performance during the interview. Why would they waste time inviting applicants to interview if they aren't satisfied with their stats? It doesn't seem logical or efficient. Therefor, those of you with lower stats: I don't think you should worry.

Secondly, I think the time of your acceptance can rely on many factors such as the schedule of your interviewer, whether you wrote a thank you letter, how well you stood out to your interviewer, and possibly even stats. Those of you who interviewed much earlier and have not received acceptances yet: I don't think you should worry.

If you have not written thank you letters to your interviewer or the admissions office/committee, I would recommend doing so.

Good Luck all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!
OOS - CA
received a letter in the mail postmarked 2/16/16
Interviewed 1/13 (don't be put out by how recent my interview date was)
Stats:
3.58ish GPA
312 MCAT
excellent interview

After reading many posts, I have been dying to say that I really do not think post interview acceptance has anything to do with stats. If they offered you an interview, you have clearly passed the preliminary stat screening. Acceptance after you have interviewed is most-likely based on your performance during the interview. Why would they waste time inviting applicants to interview if they aren't satisfied with their stats? It doesn't seem logical or efficient. Therefor, those of you with lower stats: I don't think you should worry.

Secondly, I think the time of your acceptance can rely on many factors such as the schedule of your interviewer, whether you wrote a thank you letter, how well you stood out to your interviewer, and possibly even stats. Those of you who interviewed much earlier and have not received acceptances yet: I don't think you should worry.

If you have not written thank you letters to your interviewer or the admissions office/committee, I would recommend doing so.

Good Luck all!
What was your MCAT score? 312 is not a new score possibility, so I am assuming excited typo.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

Since there are a lot of great candidates on this thread waiting, I know they appreciate the stats.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

it did not - just edited my original post, thanks for asking and thank you for the congrats!

Np! Will you definitely be matriculating??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Accepted! I got the letter today it was dated February 15th. I'm OOS, URM and my stats weren't stellar, but I still got in. Good luck guys!

Accepted! I got the letter today it was dated February 15th. I'm OOS, URM and my stats weren't stellar, but I still got in. Good luck guys!

Congrats! When did you interview???

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I'm guessing the letters were actually sent out on different dates then? I interviewed on the 1/13 as well, I really want to be accepted here lol

Congratulations to all the new acceptances. : )

I'm guessing the letters were actually sent out on different dates then? I interviewed on the 1/13 as well, I really want to be accepted here lol
I haven't heard of anyone else who got in the first review after interviewing. The fastset is 2 months after interviewing except maybe some early decision candidates. Don't worry yet. :)

I haven't heard of anyone else who got in the first review after interviewing. The fastset is 2 months after interviewing except maybe some early decision candidates. Don't worry yet. :)
Thank you :) im just really eager to get at least one acceptance it suck being in constant limbo

Good Luck all!

I just got my acceptance in the mail as well. Interviewed 1/13. OOS. I felt my interview went great but I wasn't too sure I was convincing when they asked why I would go to Indy over my home state. Well, I was just accepted to my in state school last week, so I won't be going here anyways, haha. Their OOS tuition is barbaric. Loved the school though.

Quoted the above because I did not write a thank you letter. I am not saying follow my lead though, haha. I wrote thank you letters for other schools, but I was told by the admissions dean at a school that the letters are completely worthless. For example, most interviewers write their evaluation immediately after the interview, submit it to the committee and then have no further say in the matter. So while it is a polite thing to do, it won't even have the possibility of making a difference at some schools.

Is there anyone else on here that has applied to IUSM through the rural health program?

has anyone checked the portal? shouldnt it have updated? Any acceptances? I'm too chicken to check lol

Did you get an email letting you know if you got into the program?
No. So far only the letter in the mail. Absolutely no other communication. Thank goodness I have the letter or I'd wonder if it was real.

Last edited:
Has anyone got information about academic merit scholarships (i.e. not URM recruitment)? The financial aid email after acceptance way back in October said that the decisions about those scholarships would be made beginning December 2015 but not many people here have posted about getting anything.

Has anyone got information about academic merit scholarships (i.e. not URM recruitment)? The financial aid email after acceptance way back in October said that the decisions about those scholarships would be made beginning December 2015 but not many people here have posted about getting anything.

I feel like a lot of my expectations regarding the IUSM timeline have not been met. #patience #notoneofmyvirtues

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone been accepted from the 11/04 or 11/11 interview dates?

Has anyone been accepted from the 11/04 or 11/11 interview dates?
I am 11/04 interviewer. Have not been accepted yet but I have seen many others from this date get accepted.

I also know an 11/04 interviewee who was accepted