2015-2016 Columbia University College of P&S Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected (pre-II), OOS, app complete 8/15
513 MCAT (11,10,14,10), 3.97 masters gpa, lower ugpa

Members don't see this ad.

WL too!
Does anyone have statistics about how many applicants get off the waitlist?
I read somewhere that 112 people got off the waitlist last year or the year before... keep in mind, though, that Columbia waitlists a LOT of people--maybe 600ish?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also waitlist. Does anyone get rejected post-II or do they waitlist everyone who interviewed?

No call or email for me yet, Interviewed in November :(. Has anyone who interviewed in Nov hear back yet?

Hi everyone! I'm really excited I was just accepted to P&S! I was wondering if someone could tell me about the housing options for first years. Do most people live in Bard Hall or is it also a possibility to live in Georgian Hall or the Towers as a first year? Do you recommend the on campus housing? Thanks so much!

Hi everyone! I'm really excited I was just accepted to P&S! I was wondering if someone could tell me about the housing options for first years. Do most people live in Bard Hall or is it also a possibility to live in Georgian Hall or the Towers as a first year? Do you recommend the on campus housing? Thanks so much!
Congrats zoodle and congrats to other folks with good news! There's traditionally a lot of action on the waitlist, so if you're in that boat, hang tight (easier said than done, I know, sorry).

Regarding housing, the majority of first-years do live in Bard, and I highly recommend it! It's an amazing community and the rooftop is spectacular. It's even got a gym in the basement! That being said, it is basically a college dorm, so if you're totally over that, then you may want to look into other options. In terms of other campus housing, the Towers is your best bet, but (outside of couples housing) the only way I know to get in there as a first-year is to send out feelers on Facebook etc. to see if vacancies open up. There are also lots of good apartments in the neighborhood and all of the west side is easily accessible if you want to live a little further away. The community aspect is for sure available for everyone, it just probably takes a little more effort if you live off campus. Hope that's helpful!

Reactions: 2 users
set free pre-II lol. goodbye to my last dreams of going to new york! haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats zoodle and congrats to other folks with good news! There's traditionally a lot of action on the waitlist, so if you're in that boat, hang tight (easier said than done, I know, sorry).

Regarding housing, the majority of first-years do live in Bard, and I highly recommend it! It's an amazing community and the rooftop is spectacular. It's even got a gym in the basement! That being said, it is basically a college dorm, so if you're totally over that, then you may want to look into other options. In terms of other campus housing, the Towers is your best bet, but (outside of couples housing) the only way I know to get in there as a first-year is to send out feelers on Facebook etc. to see if vacancies open up. There are also lots of good apartments in the neighborhood and all of the west side is easily accessible if you want to live a little further away. The community aspect is for sure available for everyone, it just probably takes a little more effort if you live off campus. Hope that's helpful!

Thank you so much! That is really helpful. Also, what would you recommend about having a car or not in the city?

there might be hope for some of you with lower stats.. my friend, who has a good gpa but a below average mcat for columbia (a couple points below) with minimal research, super average ECs, your typical PS, etc, got in (i read her whole app). she didn't interview at ANY other top 25 school except for this school. and no, she's not URM or disadvantaged. this process is truly a crap shoot.

Last edited:
This has been my dream school for so long. I am so disappointed about being placed on the wait list. Feels like I can loose all hope right about now.

Thank you so much! That is really helpful. Also, what would you recommend about having a car or not in the city?
Absolutely no need for a car in the city, it would be way more trouble than it's worth, particularly if you're living in Wash Hts. I don't know a single classmate with a car in the neighborhood. The subway is a magical thing!

Reactions: 4 users
For those of you accepted, am I reading the information regarding financial aid correctly? They want all documentation (tax forms, W-2s, FAFSA, Need Access) by the 29th?

This has been my dream school for so long. I am so disappointed about being placed on the wait list. Feels like I can loose all hope right about now.
Hey the fact that you interviewed here speaks volumes about you, use it for motivation in the future! I dreamed of going to schools like Columbia for undergrad but received rejection after rejection. 4 years later the story turned around :)

Plus, it's not over yet!
Wish ya the best, you're gonna do great!

Reactions: 3 users
It is interesting to see 200 admitted and 700 on waitlist last year but very few are saying they are on waitlist compared to how many people have said they received phone calls.

I still haven't received an email or anything on the portal. Anyone else in the same boat?

I still haven't received an email or anything on the portal. Anyone else in the same boat?
+1

I saw someone on SDN like us last year. He/she was waitlisted a week after everyone else :(

For those of you accepted, am I reading the information regarding financial aid correctly? They want all documentation (tax forms, W-2s, FAFSA, Need Access) by the 29th?
Hmm I didn't see this, now you have me worried haha. Where is this?

Hmm I didn't see this, now you have me worried haha. Where is this?
My mistake, tax returns can be sent later. Per the Columbia FinAid Handbook:

"New students should submit the FAFSA and the Need Access application by February 29th (or within 2 weeks after acceptance, whichever is later if you are an entering student)...IRS Tax Forms - We require signed and dated copies of the 2015 IRS tax forms, the 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ form, W-2 forms, and all supporting schedules and statements for all persons supplying information on the FAFSA and the Need Access application. New students should submit them to our office no later than April 8th."

Guess I should get on my supervisor's case of giving me my 1099 -___-"

Waitlisted yesterday as well...pretty upset about this one :(

for those of us waitlisted, are you filling out finaid information for columbia? (i guess i'm specifically inquiring about needaccess, because i know for fafsa you can just add the school)

My mistake, tax returns can be sent later. Per the Columbia FinAid Handbook:

"New students should submit the FAFSA and the Need Access application by February 29th (or within 2 weeks after acceptance, whichever is later if you are an entering student)...IRS Tax Forms - We require signed and dated copies of the 2015 IRS tax forms, the 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ form, W-2 forms, and all supporting schedules and statements for all persons supplying information on the FAFSA and the Need Access application. New students should submit them to our office no later than April 8th."

Guess I should get on my supervisor's case of giving me my 1099 -___-"
Wait if we need to give signed forms for all individuals supplying in the FAFSA, does that mean I need to submit signed copies of my parents' taxes? Probably a dumb question, but want to make sure...

Wait if we need to give signed forms for all individuals supplying in the FAFSA, does that mean I need to submit signed copies of my parents' taxes? Probably a dumb question, but want to make sure...
I think so!

Should I be concerned that I have not yet received an email about my application decision?

I interviewed in mid December and received the email about updating my contact information in preparation for the decision email.

Did you logon to see if you have a letter on your portal? Even people who interviewed in the last week of January have received a decision.

Last edited:
Should I be concerned that I have not yet received an email about my application decision?

I interviewed in mid December and received the email about updating my contact information in preparation for the decision email.
Someone on here wrote that some people got wait listed last year a week after everyone else found out

Will Columbia rank the waitlist? And if so, will they inform us of our position? I remember this being addressed in the message on portal, but it has since changed to something about financial aid. And I forgot already.

So is second look just on Friday night (April 1st)? I was a little confused by the information they provided

Will Columbia rank the waitlist? And if so, will they inform us of our position? I remember this being addressed in the message on portal, but it has since changed to something about financial aid. And I forgot already.
Waitlist is totes unranked

So is second look just on Friday night (April 1st)? I was a little confused by the information they provided
I think they're going to have workshops (off-campus housing, global health, etc) in the day and then the dinner and showcase later on. But, I could be wrong. I'm assuming you're going. See you there.

Accepted a few days ago via phone call as well.

Has anyone had any luck contacting the financial aid office? Not even sure where to direct my email

Does anyone know when the new medical education building is scheduled to open?