2015-2016 Columbia University College of P&S Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
eek wait I've been wondering if there was a Facebook page - did I miss it anywhere? Can someone PM me the link?

I think it is searchable on facebook - if not, shoot me a PM.

Members don't see this ad.

So has anyone applied for housing yet, or know when we're supposed to?

Aid package received! For all of you still waiting, you might want to call. I called today and found out that they mistyped my email address, which is why I never received it...

Also, is it safe to assume that aid from the P&S Scholarship Fund and Stp P&S Scholarship Fund are need-based?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aid package received! For all of you still waiting, you might want to call. I called today and found out that they mistyped my email address, which is why I never received it...

Also, is it safe to assume that aid from the P&S Scholarship Fund and Stp P&S Scholarship Fund are need-based?

Did it get emailed to you or did it appear in that Student Viewer portal? I've been waiting on mine too and thought they were released today.

Did it get emailed to you or did it appear in that Student Viewer portal? I've been waiting on mine too and thought they were released today.
I called, had my email corrected, and then received it by email.

Has anyone heard anything about merit aid? I would hope we'd hear back before the decisions deadline haha

Reactions: 1 user

I think they are need based. The stipend (second one) is the same thing except you get it in actual money for discretionary use which is nice.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything about merit aid? I would hope we'd hear back before the decisions deadline haha
I am also wondering if anyone has heard about additional merit aid from Deans Nicholas or Hutcherson? The 4/30 deadline is looming!

I called a few days ago and they said they haven't given out any merit scholarships yet and are still waiting to hear about how much money they have to give out in merit aid :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I called a few days ago and they said they haven't given out any merit scholarships yet and are still waiting to hear about how much money they have to give out in merit aid :/

...So you're saying there's a chance?!

You the real MVP.

Did you ask whether it they would be given out before May 2? I mean it's kinda pointless to do it afterwards (well not pointless but diminishes the purpose anyways).

You the real MVP.

Did you ask whether it they would be given out before May 2? I mean it's kinda pointless to do it afterwards (well not pointless but diminishes the purpose anyways).

They said they're gonna try to get it out by April 30!

Withdrew today, good luck for people on the WL.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, does anybody remember who we were supposed to email about if we merit scholarships from other schools? I remember them saying something at the fin aid session during revisit but I can't remember anymore...I think it was Dean Nicholas?

Hey, does anybody remember who we were supposed to email about if we merit scholarships from other schools? I remember them saying something at the fin aid session during revisit but I can't remember anymore...I think it was Dean Nicholas?
I was told by Financial Aid to email Admissions (with a copy of the award), who would then forward it to the Scholarship Committee. This was back in March, so I don't know if instructions would change, as we only have 1 week left. Best of luck!!

Has anybody on the waitlist heard anything from the P&S admissions office? Not necessarily acceptances, but in past years people seemed to have gotten replies from Dean Nicholas to update letters thanking them for their enthusiasm, etc.

Is there anything that can be done to increase your chances of getting off the waitlist other than staying in touch via update letters?

Has anybody on the waitlist heard anything from the P&S admissions office? Not necessarily acceptances, but in past years people seemed to have gotten replies from Dean Nicholas to update letters thanking them for their enthusiasm, etc.

Is there anything that can be done to increase your chances of getting off the waitlist other than staying in touch via update letters?

I still haven't gotten a reply from him!
I think you can send additional recommendation letters.

Does Columbia provide iPads or laptops for students or should we purchase one before starting school?

Does Columbia provide iPads or laptops for students or should we purchase one before starting school?

You need to purchase a laptop. iPad is optional and is hit or miss in terms of helpfulness. I use mine to watch Netflix and read kindle. Your anatomy group will be given an iPad for use in the anatomy lab but not personal use.

For those of you waiting/hoping to hear back regarding merit awards, I called admissions today. Decisions are made on a case by case basis and you will only be notified if you receive an award. There is no "deadline" for decisions. It could be today, or it could be up to the day before orientation.

I tried asking about my case specifically and received no response: the person on the phone would not let me know whether the committee has yet to make a decision or if they simply chose not to award me anything. I asked how applicants such as myself, who are choosing between schools and are feeling financial pressure, are expected to make a decision if we don't know when (or if) we should hear back. I was told to just withdraw if I so wish.

To be honest, the tone of the conversation and the admissions representative took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting to be awarded money; as I've state before, I'm honestly thrilled at my acceptance and am honored to have a chance to attend. I do find it strange how Columbia plans on distributes its awards. Considering how it doesn't advertise or even mention these awards on its website, I'm assuming these "case by case" requests can only come from students who are deciding between schools and weighing finances as a heavy factor. It's odd that the committee doesn't take this into account and thinks it's okay to potentially not inform students until after the Traffic Day Deadline. If I knew I was committing to P&S, then sure, being notified of a merit award over the summer would be a nice surprise, but I wouldn't have bothered to request consideration of a award in that case...

can anyone provide more clarity into the waitlist process? previous threads indicates there is a high priority list - if you aren't on it/get that call, does that basically mean you're out of running? Also it seems that movement actually only began a few weeks after May 1? (I think last year based on SDN it was around May 14?). Sorry for the many questions. This process is just so nebulous.

For those of you waiting/hoping to hear back regarding merit awards, I called admissions today. Decisions are made on a case by case basis and you will only be notified if you receive an award. There is no "deadline" for decisions. It could be today, or it could be up to the day before orientation.

I tried asking about my case specifically and received no response: the person on the phone would not let me know whether the committee has yet to make a decision or if they simply chose not to award me anything. I asked how applicants such as myself, who are choosing between schools and are feeling financial pressure, are expected to make a decision if we don't know when (or if) we should hear back. I was told to just withdraw if I so wish.

To be honest, the tone of the conversation and the admissions representative took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting to be awarded money; as I've state before, I'm honestly thrilled at my acceptance and am honored to have a chance to attend. I do find it strange how Columbia plans on distributes its awards. Considering how it doesn't advertise or even mention these awards on its website, I'm assuming these "case by case" requests can only come from students who are deciding between schools and weighing finances as a heavy factor. It's odd that the committee doesn't take this into account and thinks it's okay to potentially not inform students until after the Traffic Day Deadline. If I knew I was committing to P&S, then sure, being notified of a merit award over the summer would be a nice surprise, but I wouldn't have bothered to request consideration of a award in that case...

I cannot agree more with this sentiment. I have been in touch with Columbia admissions on-and-off (both by phone and email) for over a month now regarding merit aid, and I have consistently received either form emails or replies to the tone of "Sorry, nothing to say... we understand there is the April 30 deadline. Call us at 4:30pm on April 29 and we may or may not have something to say to you". I understand that they are busy and fielding many requests, but to be honest, the whole experience has left me incredibly disillusioned. I respect that they can't just give out merit aid to anyone who asks, but it seems like I would be common courtesy to tell applicants one way or another. Just thought I would share my (pretty negative) experience.

Last edited:
I cannot agree more with this sentiment. I have been in touch with Columbia admissions on-and-off (both by phone and email) for over a month now regarding merit aid, and I have consistently received either form emails or replies to the tone of "Sorry, nothing to say... we understand there is the April 30 deadline. Call us at 4:30pm on April 29 and we may or may not have something to say to you". I understand that they are busy and fielding many requests, but to be honest, the whole experience has left me incredibly disillusioned. Just thought I would share my experience.
At least they told you that much. Mine refused me even that mercy...

Honestly, I really love Columbia and truly hope that financial aid would work out. I told myself that I wouldn't let money decide where I go, but the fact the staff refuses to provide any form of closure leaves me a bit frustrated.

can anyone provide more clarity into the waitlist process? previous threads indicates there is a high priority list - if you aren't on it/get that call, does that basically mean you're out of running? Also it seems that movement actually only began a few weeks after May 1? (I think last year based on SDN it was around May 14?). Sorry for the many questions. This process is just so nebulous.
I too would love to hear if anyone has any insight here!

There are people in my class who got off the waitlist within the first week of may. More than that I have no idea, sorry guys :(

If you get waitlisted but don't get in, is there a better chance of being accepted if you reapply the following year?

wait... they call applicants who get accepted off the WL?

At least they told you that much. Mine refused me even that mercy...

Honestly, I really love Columbia and truly hope that financial aid would work out. I told myself that I wouldn't let money decide where I go, but the fact the staff refuses to provide any form of closure leaves me a bit frustrated.

Did they provide you any financial aid in the form of grants?

As sad as it made me, I withdrew from P &S this morning. Best of luck to all of you!

Did they provide you any financial aid in the form of grants?
They did, and as far as need based aid goes, Columbia was more generous than expected..however, there are some situations at home that would result in my aid declinig within the next year (sibling graduating college, for one), which made another institution'a merit offer so tempting.

I have officially declined my offer at Columbia, good luck waitlist! Never in a million years did I think I would decline such a financial offer from here. I hope I'm making the right choice....:nailbiting::bang:

Ahhhhh, I'm sorry! I truly did not want to let go. If I know for sure that that the aid is comparable over 4 years, I would have chosen Columbia in a heartbeat. As it is, with my brother graduating college soon and my dad hoping to seek long term employment (rather than current contractual gigs), it's too likely that my aid can decline rather sharply over the next few years.

Ahhhhh, I'm sorry! I truly did not want to let go. If I know for sure that that the aid is comparable over 4 years, I would have chosen Columbia in a heartbeat. As it is, with my brother graduating college soon and my dad hoping to seek long term employment (rather than current contractual gigs), it's too likely that my aid can decline rather sharply over the next few years.

I'm just messing with you :p

Congratulations on making a decision!

Has anyone here received merit aid from the admissions office (not the diversity merit aid)?

As sad as it made me, I withdrew from P &S this morning. Best of luck to all of you!

They did, and as far as need based aid goes, Columbia was more generous than expected..however, there are some situations at home that would result in my aid declinig within the next year (sibling graduating college, for one), which made another institution'a merit offer so tempting.
Same. Withdrew because of a competing scholarship / full ride. Really sad. Columbia was my number one.

Best of luck to all those on the WL

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

-

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hoping for some movement this week!!!
Seconded! Does anyone know if the process is always: high priority waitlist first, followed by an acceptance, or can you go straight to an acceptance call?

If I have expected a spot on the wait list, what can I expect soon? An e-mail, a call, nothing, a change in online status?

Have people already been informed of their spot on a high priority waitlist or does that process also start now?

Who told you that there is a high-priority WL?
This is something from last year's thread. Not sure if they're going to be doing the same thing this year, but there was no formal HPWL sent out.

This is something from last year's thread. Not sure if they're going to be doing the same thing this year, but there was no formal HPWL sent out.

ooo... confusing. So an unranked WL can have high-priority WL. interesting.

Has anyone called admissions and asked for info about whether there has been any movement yet?

Has anyone called admissions and asked for info about whether there has been any movement yet?
Just emailed them, and they said that since the deadline for multiple acceptances has just passed, they're still deciding how to go forward with the waitlist. So, no I don't think there has been any waitlist movement yet! Good luck everyone!