2020-2021 University of South Carolina - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of South Carolina - Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received secondaries or any email notifications from this school? It's been a quiet thread here...

Has anyone received secondaries or any email notifications from this school? It's been a quiet thread here...
It says on their website that they are not reviewing applications until the week of August 3rd! And then "Applicants selected to receive the supplemental application will be notified" during the week of August 17th.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It says on their website that they are not reviewing applications until the week of August 3rd! And then "Applicants selected to receive the supplemental application will be notified" during the week of August 17th.
Thanks, guess it will be a waiting game then

Does anyone know their cut-offs for in-state, alumni and/or out-of-state?

Has anyone received the secondaries yet? If so, can you please post the prompts?

Secondaries this week.
B19AF41E-44D8-48C7-873F-A2C640401571.png

Reactions: 1 user
Received a Request for South Carolina Ties 2021 email at 10:00 AM EST today. This email contained a link that seems to be inactive? Anyways, it was followed up with this statement: “We will review the information you provide and will contact you via email if you are selected to continue with the secondary application process. Please allow 2-3 weeks for review of your "SC Ties" information by the Admissions Committee.”

OOS, 509, 3.92 GPA

Received a Request for South Carolina Ties 2021 email at 10:00 AM EST today. This email contained a link that seems to be inactive? Anyways, it was followed up with this statement: “We will review the information you provide and will contact you via email if you are selected to continue with the secondary application process. Please allow 2-3 weeks for review of your "SC Ties" information by the Admissions Committee.”

OOS, 509, 3.92 GPA

That's awesome!! When were you verified?

7/15!! Also, update on the link: The link on the email is trash and doesn’t work, however, the url is correct. Just copy and paste it^^

I got an email from them this afternoon.

“USC is a state-assisted institution and South Carolina residents are given primary admission consideration. Only applicants with significant ties to the state of South Carolina will be given serious consideration for interviews.”

I’m a little bummed, mad at myself for applying because I am out of state and I don’t have any ties to South Carolina. MCAT 511 Overall GPA 3.75, Science GPA 3.82. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an alum and I got the same email! I'm OOS.
The USCs and MUSC are all pretty instate or ties-heavy.
I wish I had more information to share about it.

Do you have ties to South Carolina? I feel like my application will just get trashed when I say I don't have any ties...
I am not sure if they consider my ties weak or strong but sure I do.

Thoughts on strength of ties here? My childhood home is in the process of being sold and we bought a new home in SC in March... I am hoping I explained it well enough that I'll get an opportunity for a secondary

Thoughts on strength of ties here? My childhood home is in the process of being sold and we bought a new home in SC in March... I am hoping I explained it well enough that I'll get an opportunity for a secondary
If a Deed to a house is not strong ties, may G-D help us all

• Haha
Same as last year plus a COVID question. I didn't see any character limits stated.

What are your medical practice goals?
Does this application represent a career change? If so, please describe your most recent career.
If it has been more than six months since you completed your bachelor's degree, please describe your employment status since that time (part-time, full-time, and dates).
In what region of the country do you want to practice medicine? Why?
What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue?
Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant?
Explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational, research, volunteering or employment plans.

Does anyone know why they are asking for SAT and ACT scores?

What is everyone doing for the character count? I have ~150 words for 2 of them and feel like I answered the questions well. Kind of difficult when it feels like 3 of the questions overlap.

As expected, received an R this afternoon. But I'm OS with no ties so I wasn't expecting much!

Well, first rejection of the cycle. Gotta say I'm a bit surprised, im OOS (3.83, 509) but my entire mom's side of the family lives in SC and I have visted every year for a few weeks since I was a kid. ANYWAYS, good luck to everyone else!

What is everyone doing for the character count? I have ~150 words for 2 of them and feel like I answered the questions well. Kind of difficult when it feels like 3 of the questions overlap.
I have ~250 words for each but still editing

Yes! Said that they will not be looking into my application further. 3.75 cGPA, 3.81 science GPA, 511 MCAT

Hahahaha well that’s terrifying. I haven’t received any communication or secondary and I’m an OOS alum with way worse stats than you :) :) :)

Best of luck with the rest of your cycle! Cola is a COVID-center now anyway so maybe they did you a solid

Has anyone else had problems paying the secondary app fee?

Also unable to complete the application fee. I sent an email to admissions.
Yeah she said IT was working on it and she would get back to me but haven’t heard anything