2014-2015 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wait this is ridiculous. I'm kind of glad I got a second rejection instead of getting my hopes back up. BYE DUKE BYE

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
wait this is ridiculous. I'm kind of glad I got a second rejection instead of getting my hopes back up. BYE DUKE BYE
Even being rejected a second time, I'm back to thinking "what if". Damn it Duke, not nice. lol

Reactions: 1 user
Even being rejected a second time, I'm back to thinking "what if". Damn it Duke, not nice. lol
yep ofc, I have a twinge of that too :) but not nearly as bad as the people who ACTUALLY got back on the waitlist oh lord good luck yall

Members don't see this ad :)
I have mixed feelings about becoming a zombie duke applicant

Reactions: 9 users
Were the people put back on the wait list the same people that got the second round or rejections (the ones later in the week?).

I was rejected in the first wave.

Well I didn't get re-rejected or un-rejected to a wait list so I'm just going to assume they meant to accept me the first time and our timing was just off :p

Duke admissions has been such a mess this year. I was actually originally accepted and then the day before second look received an email saying my acceptance was an administrative error. I was actually waitlisted. Oops! Thanks Duke.

Duke admissions has been such a mess this year. I was actually originally accepted and then the day before second look received an email saying my acceptance was an administrative error. I was actually waitlisted. Oops! Thanks Duke.

If true, thats pretty messed up

Last edited:
Based on the previous threads, am I correct in summarizing that we have :
few people who got previously accepted become waitlists,
some waitlists become rejections,
and some rejections become waitlists (along with people receiving rejections again).

It seems like DukeMed Admissions must made an administrative error of some sorts (I guess it will not be the first though; google Jesica Santillan if interested).

Alright, not to be "that guy", but that's pretty out-of-line. To liken the tragic death of a young woman to some confusion over medical school admissions is incredibly off-base; while probably a joke, the comment is very low for a future medical professional.

Also, so far the only report of an acceptance-turned-waitlist is by a person with one message on here and no proof of credibility. Frankly, given that admitted students were called, I would be amazed if this were actually true.

EDIT: To everyone who was waitlisted today after being rejected: congrats! I hope you gets get in and make Duke an even better place than it already is.

Reactions: 8 users
Well damn, I decide to check this thread again to see if anyone's talking about the game and it turns out that many of my fellow reject-ees have been upgraded to the waitlist. On one hand, LOL that admissions still hasn't got their **** together after that whole limbo fiasco, but on the other hand I'm pretty bummed that as far as I know my status is still the same. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
This happened to me too (late decision -> rejection -> waitlist), and I thought it was funny but probably only because I have another school that I'd rather attend. I really hope that Duke is kinder to next year's applicants.

how was the email from Dean Armstrong phrased? did she offer an explanation? like "sorry we screwed up before"?

Most schools that have offered me alternate/waitlist positions are usually pretty conservative with their estimations of how much movement will occur, whereas the phrasing here was "We anticipate that there will be a number of opportunities to go to the waitlist as our class comes together". Idk.

Dean Armstrong's phrasing was simply "The email that you received today is the correct status assigned to your application and should be acted on".

Yes, this is the phrasing I got as well. I thought the less than conservative take on anticipated waitlist movement was interesting as well.

Holy crap! This is huge. Congrats to all who got a waitlist position! Were any of you perviously in "limbo" by any chance?

I also got unrejected yesterday! This is so bewildering. I mean I'm happy, but cautiously so...I don't want to build up my hopes just to have them crushed a second time. Has Duke ever done this before?

Also, for those who got accepted then waitlisted or waitlisted then rejected...sorry about that :/ Applying to med school is in itself a stressful process already, and this certainly doesn't help. I hope everything works out for everyone in the end!!

This is all crazy. Does this mean that Duke's previous WL was so small that they feared that they wouldn't be able to fill the class? Did they reevaluate rejected applicants? Or were the rejections an error from the beginning? How does the WL at duke work? Is everyone on equal footing now? I have so many questions haha.

This is all crazy. Does this mean that Duke's previous WL was so small that they feared that they wouldn't be able to fill the class? Did they reevaluate rejected applicants? Or were the rejections an error from the beginning? How does the WL at duke work? Is everyone on equal footing now? I have so many questions haha.
And I'm about 99.9% sure that absolutely none of them will ever be answered haha-I'm right there with you

Future applicants who read this thread will now have no idea how to take any news coming from Duke in the spring--hoping that a rejection isn't really a rejection, fearing that their acceptance was legitimately a mistake as many neurotic SDNers fear before seeing the portal updated.

I find it hard to believe that an acceptance was withdrawn. Wouldn't that be against some kind of rules? And even if it weren't against any rules, would a school really be that mean? What if you were accepted to a school and withdrew from everywhere else or told all your friends and family and then that school says you are actually not accepted. They can't be allowed to put you in that position.

Reactions: 2 users
I find it hard to believe that an acceptance was withdrawn. Wouldn't that be against some kind of rules? And even if it weren't against any rules, would a school really be that mean? What if you were accepted to a school and withdrew from everywhere else or told all your friends and family and then that school says you are actually not accepted. They can't be allowed to put you in that position.
Especially the day before second look, when travel plans may have been made. I think someone is just hoping to make trouble or to better his/her chance of coming off the alternate list.

I'm going to try to answer this with a complete guess based on second look and what I heard from a member of the "Super Exec Committee" (the ones who evaluate post-interview candidates). After you interview, your MMIs are scored...if you score high enough, your file is sent to a member of the super executive committee (their words for describing it, not mine haha). Those who do not meet the cutoff are rejected.

Once the member of the AdCom has your file, he/she prepares it for presentation to the rest of the committee. Once it has been presented, the committee votes 1 (reject), 2 (waitlist), 3 (accept). Obviously not everyone will vote the same, so my assumption is that they will average and round.

For this, I can only assume they either (1) misclassified certain people and realized later or (2) didn't like the size of their waitlist and decided to reclassify the waitlist to include those with a slightly lower average.

I'm going to try to answer this with a complete guess based on second look and what I heard from a member of the "Super Exec Committee" (the ones who evaluate post-interview candidates). After you interview, your MMIs are scored...if you score high enough, your file is sent to a member of the super executive committee (their words for describing it, not mine haha). Those who do not meet the cutoff are rejected.

Once the member of the AdCom has your file, he/she prepares it for presentation to the rest of the committee. Once it has been presented, the committee votes 1 (reject), 2 (waitlist), 3 (accept). Obviously not everyone will vote the same, so my assumption is that they will average and round.

For this, I can only assume they either (1) misclassified certain people and realized later or (2) didn't like the size of their waitlist and decided to reclassify the waitlist to include those with a slightly lower average.

The process that you described sounds very logical and reasonable. Built on this, one possibility might explain the chaos better than others:

Some applicants with high enough MMI score did not get to viewed by the "Supper Exec Committee" or SEC and the admission office did not realize this until later

Why this can explain everything, bear with me.

So this is probably how Duke does notification, they rank the applicant's SEC score from the highest to lowest. Then ask the system to spit out the information of the highest ranking XX number of students. Then ask the system to send out WL email to the next YY number of students. The rest of the students were rejected along with those who did not make it to Super Exec Committee. The accepted students were probably processed by hand, so there are all these discrepancies in terms of how students find out about their acceptances.

However, if for some reason some students never were discussed by the SEC, then the system won't be able to rank them. They also don't have some kind of special value assigned to it informing the system to take rejection action like the ones of those who are rejected pre-SEC. So the system just completely ignored those people in all the actions. The admission office might not know that thinking all students were assigned to one of the 3 groups. Which explains why they are so suspicious whether some of the limboland residents "actually interviewed at Duke". It also explains their confidence about asking people to "just wait for your letter". They were probably convinced that those were just accepted ones being impatient about being notified.

I think sometime during that 11 days, they realized this being the case, and so instead of fixing it, they just ask the system to rejected all the students who never had any SEC score assigned.

Then something happened in the past month. Exactly what we won't know. I'm guessing either
1)During second look, they probably realize that some of their preferred students post interview did not make it into the accepted student pool and they feel the effect of missing a significant portion of the best candidates on the whole dynamic of the class.
2)People from the SEC pressured to reevaluate the limboland applicants because they don't want to miss out on top applicants among those students
3) A brief moment of conscious took over the dean of admission.

In any case, the SEC met, discuss and assigned score to the limboland applicants. And now they ended up with a new and full ranking of the students post interview. Obviously the limbo land applicants are all over the place. Some should have been accepted and some should have been waitlisted and some should have been rejected all the same. The last group were the ones who are rejected twice. Due to the new ranking, some previously waitlisted applicants now fall below the cut off and are now rejected.

However, it's too late to accept any more student without the concern of over enrolling. So They ended up having to waitlisted those students who were newly discovered to be worthy of acceptances. And those are the students who will be the first ones to be accepted given any spot opening in the future, hence the super positive wording in terms of waitlist movement. This is the only possible explanation why they are so confident about waitlist movement while at the same time rejecting people off the waitlist so early.

Alright I'm done. I totally spent way too much timing thinking about this obviously, but I suspect that this is very likely the case and please duke med admission don't freakout, I'm not one of your employee, I'm just someone who's really good at making dots connect.

Last edited:
The process that you described sounds very logical and reasonable. Built on this, one possibility might explain the chaos better than others:

Some applicants with high enough MMI score did not get to viewed by the "Supper Exec Committee" or SEC and the admission office did not realize this until later

So this is probably how Duke does notification, they rank the applicant's SEC score from the highest to lowest. Then ask the system to spit out the information of the highest ranking XX number of students. Then ask the system to send out WL email to the next YY number of students. The rest of the students were rejected along with those who did not make it to Super Exec Committee. The accepted students were probably processed by hand, so there are all these discrepancies in terms of how students find out about their acceptances.

However, if for some reason some students never were discussed by the SEC, then the system won't be able to rank them. They also don't have some kind of special value assigned to it informing the system to take rejection action like the ones of those who are rejected pre-SEC. So the system just completely ignored those people in all the actions. The admission office might not know that thinking all students were assigned to one of the 3 groups. Which explains why they are so suspicious whether some of the limboland residents "actually interviewed at Duke". It also explains their confidence about asking people to "just wait for your letter". They were probably convinced that those were just accepted ones being impatient about being notified.

I think sometime during that 11 days, they realized this being the case, and so instead of fixing it, they just ask the system to rejected all the students who never had any SEC score assigned.

Then something happened in the past month. Exactly what we won't know. I'm guessing either
1)During second look, they probably realize that some of their preferred students post interview did not make it into the accepted student pool and they feel the effect of missing a significant portion of the best candidates on the whole dynamic of the class.
2)People from the SEC pressured to reevaluate the limboland applicants because they don't want to miss out on top applicants among those students

In any case, the SEC met, discuss and assigned score to the limboland applicants. And now they ended up with a new and full ranking of the students post interview. Obviously the limbo land applicants are all over the place. Some should have been accepted and some should have been waitlisted and some should have been rejected all the same. The last group were the ones who are rejected twice. Due to the new ranking, some previously waitlisted applicants now fall below the cut off and are now rejected.

However, it's too late to accept any more student without the concern of over enrolling. So They ended up having to waitlisted those students who were newly discovered to be worthy of acceptances. And those are the students who will be the first ones to be accepted given any spot opening in the future, hence the super positive wording in terms of waitlist movement. This is the only possible explanation why they are so confident about waitlist movement while at the same time rejecting people off the waitlist so early.

Alright I'm done. I totally spent way too much timing thinking about this obviously, but I suspect that this is very likely the case and please duke med admission don't freakout, I'm not one of your employee, I'm just someone who's really good at making dots connect.
Very interesting! If this is indeed the case, then I wonder whether the entering class will vary quantitatively and/or qualitatively from the typical feel of previous Duke classes, or whatever ideal class "flavor" that the admissions office usually has in mind.

Last edited:
Very interesting! If this is indeed the case, then I wonder whether the entering class will vary quantitatively and/or qualitatively from the typical feel of previous Duke classes, or whatever class flavor the admissions committee has in mind.
To quote the dean of Yale, they can easily accept 4 or 5 times the size of the class without affecting the academic performance of the student body any bit. I think we can all agree this is probably the same with Duke and most top schools.

I guess IF what I said was true-- for all I know it could very well be a very elaborate BS and some of my most elaborate theories turned out to be equally elaborated BS--I think the quality of the class would be just as amazing as usual. Maybe there will be relatively more students who do not necessarily reflect certain peculiar values that Duke endorse, but even if that's the case, it might turn out without effect or even interesting.

Whether or not interviews are a reliable distinguisher of students' capacity is subject to speculations anyway. Here is one of the discussion that I found interesting.

This all makes sense except for one thing: As far as I can tell, I don't think most people who were placed on the waitlist post-rejection were previously in the "limbo" group.

This all makes sense except for one thing: As far as I can tell, I don't think most people who were placed on the waitlist post-rejection were previously in the "limbo" group.
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone actually been bumped from waitlist to rejection already?

To my knowledge nobody has posted saying they were rejected off the waitlist.

Also, the wording mentioned in the recent waitlist letters wasn't unique to those letters, the same phrasing was also used in the original letters that were sent out over a month ago. I think it is more indicative of Duke being overly cautious with initial acceptances due to over enrolling a couple years ago and anticipating taking a number of people from the wait list like last year, which has been supported by the numerous current students who have posted saying they were also accepted off the waitlist.

The theory about people not being reviewed sounds plausible, but based off my last two points I find it hard to believe that the recent events have anything to do with a higher ranking on the waitlist. I could be completely wrong, but thats just my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

I should clarify: they intend for people to be rejected if their MMI scores are not high enough. Those people are intentionally never reviewed by the SEC. Also, the SEC reviews every applicant, and acceptances are handled with a lot of care. I find it very hard to believe that the SEC, an experienced group of people who have been doing this for years, received 100-200 less applicants to be reviewed and didn't notice. The man I spoke to also said they reviewed 500+ applicants, which is in line with how many should be after the MMI-screen.

My best guess is just that the administration picked too high of a rejection cut-off score, (let's arbitrarily say 2.3), so now they're making it a 1.8 that allows a waitlist (numbers completely guessed, no basis of fact). I find it impossible to believe that every student was not reviewed based on what I was told, especially given that the SEC has members that have been doing this for years, so they would notice a significant decrease in numbers of applicants presented at the meeting.

I completely agree, I was thinking the same thing. I don't buy it and if it is indeed true then I wouldn't even want to go to a school that would do such a thing. If I I got into Duke early March then I would have withdrawn all my apps to other schools...

Also, so far the only report of an acceptance-turned-waitlist is by a person with one message on here and no proof of credibility. Frankly, given that admitted students were called, I would be amazed if this were actually true.
Just to play devil's advocate here, we all questioned the legitimacy of the first reports of acceptance calls as well, given that we had written instructions from Duke indicating that would not be the case, and a number of things Duke has done this cycle seemed unreasonable/unlikely to occur and did anyway. Also, for the record, Duke's official position was that not all acceptees would receive calls.

Just to play devil's advocate here, we all questioned the legitimacy of the first reports of acceptance calls as well, given that we had written instructions from Duke indicating that would not be the case, and a number of things Duke has done this cycle seemed unreasonable/unlikely to occur and did anyway. Also, for the record, Duke's official position was that not all acceptees would receive calls.

Trust me I hear you, but if you look at it objectively it makes no sense. As someone else said, there would be a huge array of issues presented if Duke rescinded an acceptance for no reason the day before second look.

Not only would the applicant most likely have booked travel plans, there is also the possibility that they would have withdrawn from other options upon hearing of his/her acceptance.

Accepted students were called (in most cases), sent a letter, emailed many times (fin aid), added to the facebook group, and asked to sign up for second look.

Again, I get where you're coming from, but I'm more likely to believe that this still one-time poster is trolling than that no one in the admissions office noticed this individual was on all the wrong lists (email list servs, facebook group, etc.) and he/she was sent all that information only to be called back the day before second look. Seems like some bitter attempts to malign Duke in my opinion.

Creative and I like it but I think this is a long shot. Most likely they just wanted to make the waitlist a little bigger and at the same time they decided to reject some people on the waitlist that they reviewed and decided they didn't want.

Creative and I like it but I think this is a long shot. Most likely they just wanted to make the waitlist a little bigger and at the same time they decided to reject some people on the waitlist that they reviewed and decided they didn't want.
I think the simplest explanation is that they were a little too conservative with the initial acceptances/waitlists, and decided to expand the waitlists, which probably bodes well for the people who were waitlisted originally.

Either that, or people were so frustrated by the confusion surrounding the acceptance process this year that a lot of people decided to decline their acceptances ;).

Rejected once again. Thanks duke!

Best part: not addressed to me, attachment is scanned in at an angle. Really in a hurry to reject me again I guess! Le sigh
Wow that's crazy. Was your first rejection letter addressed to you? I just re-read mine and it was very general and sounded like it was the letter for pre-II rejections. I definitely scanned through it the first time haha. This is so strange oh Duke.

I was in limbo as well. But I haven't received any further notice-- no second rejections, WLs, anything. In case that helps build anyone's theory. Haha.

I was in limbo as well. But I haven't received any further notice-- no second rejections, WLs, anything. In case that helps build anyone's theory. Haha.
The theory clearly didn't fit those parts of the details. Hopefully all have been settled and next year it'll be better.

just reading up on the situation here. sounds like a hot mess and a half

Did anyone get a confirmation from the admissions office that they received your intent to stay active on the waitlist? Been trying to contact them.

Did anyone get a confirmation from the admissions office that they received your intent to stay active on the waitlist? Been trying to contact them.

It took about a week, but I did. It was a direct reply to my "intent to remain on waitlist" email, that I sent to [email protected].

"This email acknowledges receipt of your decision with respect to our waitlist offer.. All updates will be added to your AMCAS application for future use.
Best wishes,
DUSOM Office of Admissions"

Last year the only reported waitlist acceptances were the day after the one acceptance deadline. Fingers crossed for next Friday!

Reactions: 4 users