2014-2015 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received my financial aid package via snail mail today. No grants or scholarships, $83k loans per year (total COA).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you need to create your student account and then login.
Do you have a link to where it's located? I created my account but can't find it anywhere, but I haven't received it by snail mail yet so maybe its not ready yet? I was accepted in November

Do you have a link to where it's located? I created my account but can't find it anywhere, but I haven't received it by snail mail yet so maybe its not ready yet? I was accepted in November

Sorry, I haven't logged in to look. That's what it said in the letter.

When I called the financial aid office, they said it show up on Drexel one, but I still haven't been able to find mine on there either... Maybe its not active until you receive the mailed one possibly?

When I called the financial aid office, they said it show up on Drexel one, but I still haven't been able to find mine on there either... Maybe its not active until you receive the mailed one possibly?

I keep getting a message that says Internal Server Error right now. Hopefully when the problem is fixed we'll be able to see the financial aid info.

I just checked my Drexelone, and am getting the same internal server error. Maybe financial aid will be coming out soon then for everyone!

I just checked my Drexelone, and am getting the same internal server error. Maybe financial aid will be coming out soon then for everyone!
There's actually a way around it! I'm not home now but when I am ill post the link!

Hi guys!

Just wondering if there is another thread for accepted students where we can talk about moving to philly, financial aid, etc. I would find it really helpful to have people I can converse with about these topics. Also, I received my financial aid summary today too and got literally nothing. A bit surprising since they said Drexel offers their own scholarships and my parents definitely don't do well. Can anyone else chime in?

Reactions: 1 user
Same about the package. Try the Class of 2019 Facebook group for more practical discussions.

Also just got the financial aid package, lol nothing but unsubsidized loans unfortunately...

Members don't see this ad :)
Also just got the financial aid package, lol nothing but unsubsidized loans unfortunately...

I am hoping that since the scholarship application thing was due in May, that the financial aid package will change and include possible scholarships. Does anyone know what kind of scholarships (need and merit-based) that Drexel offers its students? Or should I expect to use only loans to pay for school?

Filled out their scholarship/grant form the other day. Hoping for something. lol

So, apparently not only is Drexel now pass/fail for the first two years, but we will have a system of Four learning Communities/Societies. Am I the only who then immediately imagined a sorting hat-type ceremony during orientation week? :)

Reactions: 3 users
So, apparently not only is Drexel now pass/fail for the first two years, but we will have a system of Four learning Communities/Societies. Am I the only who then immediately imagined a sorting hat-type ceremony during orientation week? :)

Saw that email today. Pretty awesome.

Saw that email today. Pretty awesome.
I wonder if PIL will be 1 community and IFM will be broken into the other 3

I wonder if PIL will be 1 community and IFM will be broken into the other 3

I believe that's what they told us and it makes sense given they want community sizes of about 60 students which is the current size of the PIL group.

Did everyone get that email? I went to second look and remember them mentioning the possibility. However, I haven't received an email about that

I can't speak for everyone, but I got it. I didn't attend second look.

anyone who interviewed the first week of april hear back yet? i still have under review by admissions committee haha

anyone who interviewed the first week of april hear back yet? i still have under review by admissions committee haha
I interviewed March 25th and just got the "committee has reached a decision" status change yesterday. We shall see!

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on March 23rd and still am "under review by admissions committee" hopefully that is not a bad sign

I interviewed on March 23rd and still am "under review by admissions committee" hopefully that is not a bad sign
I interviewed on March 11 and my portal recently changed (within a week or so) to "under review by a member of the committee and will be sent to the committee shortly". So it seems like mine is weeks behind all yours even though I interviewed a few weeks before! hahaha

I interviewed March 9 and was put under review by committee on April 21st. I think there are still some of us waiting. My question is to those accepted who got that email. Did they say anything more about the pass/fail system and what exactly do the communities mean?

Here is the letter :

Beginning in August, we will implement a system of Learning Communities or Societies within our
school. The role of the Societies is to foster a sense of community with other students and faculty
and to provide a framework for the development of longitudinal relationships with students in other
classes. We have developed four Societies. They are being named after historic Philadelphia
landmarks by our current 1“ year students. Each incoming 1“ year student will be placed into one of
these four Societies, along with 2"“ year students, faculty directors and faculty mentors. A student
representative from each Society will sit on our Student Government Association. The Societies will
serve as the framework for social events, community service projects, and to deliver some of our
Advising and Wellness programming. Our current students have enthusiastically participated in the
Society planning process and will be prepared to welcome you.

Our second initiative is a change in the grading policy beginning with the incoming Class of 2019. Our
curriculum governance body recently voted to change our grading scheme in years 1 and 2 to a
Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory system from the current system of Honors, Highly Satisfactory,
Satisfactory and Unsatisfactory. This change was prompted by a number of studies showing that a
change to a pass/fail grading system in the first two years of medical school was associated with
significant improvements in student wellbeing. Students reported significantly less stress, anxiety and
burnout. While this policy change still needs to get final approval at multiple levels, we wanted to
inform you about it as you make your decision regarding which medical school to attend.

We are excited about these changes and confident that they will make our learning environment and
educational programs even stronger. We hope that you make the decision to join our vibrant
educational community at DUCOM for your medical education.

Hi guys, I created a thread earlier today but I wanted some input...I'm a CA resident and I'm currently deciding between University of South Florida and Drexel University.

Can any current Drexel students say why they like the school and/or why they chose Drexel over X SOM? My interview day didn't really impress me as much and the students look stressed & my student interviewer didn't enumerate too much why he "loved" Drexel just that he did..

Just withdrew my acceptance after much consideration. Good luck to everyone still waiting for some good news from Drexel!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I am hoping that since the scholarship application thing was due in May, that the financial aid package will change and include possible scholarships. Does anyone know what kind of scholarships (need and merit-based) that Drexel offers its students? Or should I expect to use only loans to pay for school?

At second look they said that there are both merit and need based scholarships. They also said that everyone would receive the original letters with only loans covering the cost of attendance and later you will be notified about any scholarships if you qualify

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! My status on the portal just changed to 'A decision has been made'. Could anyone tell me approximately how long it takes for the letter to arrive in the mail after the portal change?

Hey everyone! My status on the portal just changed to 'A decision has been made'. Could anyone tell me approximately how long it takes for the letter to arrive in the mail after the portal change?

A 9 days for me.

is there any way to access the financial award letter online ?

It takes at least a week, so 7-10 days.

When was your interview?

Still waiting for my pre-interview rejection from here

+1. I thought it was supposed to come in the mail. If we don't get them in the next month I wonder if it might be safe to say Drexel is a silent rejection school. #holdstatus4lyfe

+3 If anyone wants to call to try to get more clarity on the situation and report back, that'd be great! I tried calling a couple weeks ago and they gave me nothing worth noting.

Does anybody know if Drexel prefers receiving letters of interest rather than letters of intent? I called and asked if either were acceptable, but got the vague answer of "whatever you send in will be added to your file". merp.