2013-2014 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone has any advice for the interview?
I am extremely nervous... what is the interview like? low stress or high stress?
Im freaking out !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Likely low stress...
Dress professionally, be on time, watch your manners (let the doctor sit down first), maintain eye contact...be pleasant/engaged...study the typical questions they ask a bit, but do not rehearse answers...know WHY you want to be a doctor in Ga...follow with a quick thank you e-mail that alludes to something you talked about (so s/he can recall you from among 5 or 6 interviewed that day). S/he might ask you if you have any questions...have a couple ready, or simply comment that you realize what a daunting task they have to select among so many, but you KNOW that you have the stuff to become a fine doctor. PIECE OF CAKE! :luck:

(They have a school specific interview feedback thing here, but it is not working at the moment)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone has any advice for the interview?
I am extremely nervous... what is the interview like? low stress or high stress?
Im freaking out !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Low stress, just relax. It's not meant to scare you, it's meant to let them get to know you.

Reactions: 1 user
Low stress, just relax. It's not meant to scare you, it's meant to let them get to know you.

+1 I really enjoyed my interview yesterday. My interviewer was great, laid back but not too laid back. Meaning he took an active interest and asked good clarifying questions about my app and answers. Seemed to really want to be "on your side" to present you to the committee. Most of the other interviewees seemed to report similar experiences. I don't think anyone said they had a difficult or bad interview.

I was really impressed with MCG/GRU. So much growth there, and quite a bit of $$ coming in that they are using for things students will really appreciate. They are building a brand new student center/classroom building that would open next fall, and just got a huge gift (one of the larger single gifts to a medical school ever, according to the asst. dean) that they are going to put into scholarships, among other things. Their satellite campuses mean you can get a ridiculous amount of clinical exposure 3/4th year, lots of opportunities to be the only trainee with the attending depending on where you rotate. Then of course there's the fact that it's the cheapest option for Georgia residents.

I was also blown away by the other 10 applicants that were there on my day. Very sharp folks with great applications, stories, interests. A little intimidating, but mostly I just felt smart and cool being included in the same group with all of these kids. Would be stoked to have them as fellow students/colleagues.

I definitely helped myself to a big 'ol glass of the MCG kool-aid yesterday. Hoping for an acceptance here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who submitted on 8/15 or later gotten an interview? That's when I submitted even though my letters just got in (finally) today.

submitted 7/10, haven't heard anything since...

Hey guys,

Any idea on when RD people who interviewed will start to hear back?

Has anyone who submitted on 8/15 or later gotten an interview? That's when I submitted even though my letters just got in (finally) today.

ii today. OOS (Cali) but grew up in GA. **submitted complete 8/15

Hi everyone,

Do you need to send in your transcripts to the school along with the secondary app or is that just for accepted applicants?

Hi everyone,

Do you need to send in your transcripts to the school along with the secondary app or is that just for accepted applicants?

I was wondering the same thing and also when people say completed on the thread does it mean their amcas got reviewed that day or are they saying they submitted the application on that day :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I was wondering the same thing and also when people say completed on the thread does it mean their amcas got reviewed that day or are they saying they submitted the application on that day :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I considered myself complete for MCG when they uploaded my letters of recommendation on September 2, since that was the last piece of the puzzle. But that's just me. You can letter of rec. information by logging into your application. MCG does not send a 'complete' email.

Also, they do not need a copy of your transcript until you matriculate.

II earlier today. Submitted 7/15 and all my letters were received by 7/31.

IS 31 MCAT 3.75 cGPA 4.00 sc GPA non-trad

Not to jump the gun here but I was looking at MCG's profile on MSAR and noticed this: Maxiumum allowed time for an applicant's response to the offer
Early Decision - One week; Regular Decision - Two weeks

So if I were to interview in November and be accepted say December 17, I have to accept or turn down the offer by New Years Day?! Am I interpreting this correctly?

Members don't see this ad :)

Not to jump the gun here but I was looking at MCG's profile on MSAR and noticed this: Maxiumum allowed time for an applicant's response to the offer

So if I were to interview in November and be accepted say December 17, I have to accept or turn down the offer by New Years Day?! Am I interpreting this correctly?

From what ı remember from ıntervıew day, I thınk that ıs just the tıme to send ın the deposıt to hold your spot. You can stıll wıthdraw later. Don't quote me on that though, emaıl the offıce ıf you really need to know.

You need to let them know as soon as possible. I wouldn't consider it a hard deadline (you likely won't be SOL if you are a day late or anything) but don't risk it. It shouldn't be that hard of a decision; if you have some doubts you just take the acceptance and then decline it later. The deposit isn't much from what I remember.

You can hold multiple acceptances up until May 15 (actually, you can hold it until later but that is when you lose deposits and schools can start to give you ultimatums). Obviously, if you know you aren't going to a school you should let them know ASAP out of courtesy to the adcomm and your fellow applicants who may be waiting for acceptances/waitlist movement.

Am I understanding correctly that they wont ii you until letters have come in? My secondary was finished in August, but my letters were just received on 10/2. I have no idea why this took so long because my letters were submitted on AMCAS in mid-September.

Am I understanding correctly that they wont ii you until letters have come in? My secondary was finished in August, but my letters were just received on 10/2. I have no idea why this took so long because my letters were submitted on AMCAS in mid-September.

I believe you are correct. You need to have your letters in before an ii.

I submitted my secondary in mid-late July. Even though my letters were submitted to AMCAS in June, MCG marked my letters as received on 9/2 . This means they can have access to our letters for weeks before they upload them from AMCAS, and the date they upload the letters is what is reflected on our MCG status page. (I suspect they upload a certain number of applicants' letters from AMCAS only a few times a month.)

The process is going slow for most people, I imagine, but at least it's a step in the right direction. :sleep: Still waiting here also.

got an interview email today...i want to cry im so happy...very nervous about my interview as my mcat is pretty low, so i know a lot rests in this interview, but so happy to have this opportunity!!

got an interview today. completed my 2ndry on 7/23, 18 days after i received it. i really wasn't expecting this at all since it was past the 2 week deadline. i guess i got lucky!

Last edited:
got an interview email today...i want to cry im so happy...very nervous about my interview as my mcat is pretty low, so i know a lot rests in this interview, but so happy to have this opportunity!!

Congratulations!! :D

Can both of you let us know when your interview dates are and when you submitted the secondary?

I have mine on 11/13. That was the 1st available date for me. submitted 7/23

Congratulations!! :D

Can both of you let us know when your interview dates are and when you submitted the secondary?

my secondary was complete 8/1 however I didn't take the mcat until 8/16 so they didn't receive my scores until 9/17. thanks! my interview is also 11/13 :)

On the online portal, if you have not been invited for an interview, does anyone see anything other than this?

Application Status

Secondary Application submitted and received on 7/28/2013.

References

Pre-Med Advisor Reference (Xxxxx Xxxxx) received on 9/2/2013.
Reference (Xxxxxxx Xxxxxx) received on 9/2/2013.

I'm wondering if there is a status update after this one, which maybe says "Your file is ready for review?"

Any thoughts?

On the online portal, if you have not been invited for an interview, does anyone see anything other than this?

Application Status

Secondary Application submitted and received on 7/28/2013.

References

Pre-Med Advisor Reference (Xxxxx Xxxxx) received on 9/2/2013.
Reference (Xxxxxxx Xxxxxx) received on 9/2/2013.

I'm wondering if there is a status update after this one, which maybe says "Your file is ready for review?"

Any thoughts?

That's all mine says as well (submitted 7/7, letters in 8/23)

for people who have already had your interview, how long after your interview does it take to hear back with a decision?

for people who have already had your interview, how long after your interview does it take to hear back with a decision?

It's generally about 2 weeks, but us early September interviewees had to wait until the October 15th opening date.

It's generally about 2 weeks, but us early September interviewees had to wait until the October 15th opening date.

This is completely untrue. Many people don't hear back until March regardless of interview date--at least that is how it has been for the last several cycles. The school doesn't want to fill the class before they have a chance to interview all prospective students they are interested in.

Accepted!! So stoked. :) :) :D

Good luck everyone!

Congrats! When did you interview?

I interviewed on 9/16 also.

Anyone from the Athens campus here? Obviously I don't know which I will get, but I requested Athens and think I have a pretty strong case with a lot of family in the area for many generations, places to live, not a UGA undergrad, etc.

Anyone have a guess on when we can expect to hear back about campus assignment?

Anyone from the Athens campus here? Obviously I don't know which I will get, but I requested Athens and think I have a pretty strong case with a lot of family in the area for many generations, places to live, not a UGA undergrad, etc.

As I recall, they said they'd meet once in December or January to place the current accepted students on campuses, then repeat that process later in the Spring too. I interviewed on 9/27 but haven't heard anything yet.

Any one else that interviewed later than 9/16 heard anything?

Interviewed on 9/23
Accepted on 10/16

As I recall, they said they'd meet once in December or January to place the current accepted students on campuses, then repeat that process later in the Spring too. I interviewed on 9/27 but haven't heard anything yet.

Any one else that interviewed later than 9/16 heard anything?
I also interviewed on 9/27, but I haven't got a response. I don't mind waiting, as long as I am waiting for good news.

Congrats!

Campus assignments generally go out in batches, with the first either late in the year or very beginning of next year. And then again periodically during spring semester. They've instituted some new changes this year though with the admission cycle, so that could change.

I'm a second year student at the Athens campus so feel free to ask me any questions about the Athens campus either on here or via PM.

This is completely untrue. Many people don't hear back until March regardless of interview date--at least that is how it has been for the last several cycles. The school doesn't want to fill the class before they have a chance to interview all prospective students they are interested in.

Sorry, didn't mean to spread misinformation. I was making an assumption for the earliest possible call back date per last year's thread.

Congrats!

Campus assignments generally go out in batches, with the first either late in the year or very beginning of next year. And then again periodically during spring semester. They've instituted some new changes this year though with the admission cycle, so that could change.

I'm a second year student at the Athens campus so feel free to ask me any questions about the Athens campus either on here or via PM.

Thanks! I'll ask here in case anyone else has similar questions about the Athens campus.

Have you felt like there is enough opportunity to come together and get to know both your classmates and students in other years? Does the small class size and being at UGA make this more difficult or less? Subjective question I know, but basically how is the camaraderie between the medical partnership students?

Do you feel like you are a part of the UGA student body as well? Do many of the partnership students take the opportunity to get involved in UGA extracurriculars, go to sporting events, etc?

What are your thoughts on the health sciences campus, and pre-clinical facilities more generally?

I know you aren't into rotations yet, but do you have any thoughts on the local (Athens Regional, St. Mary's, Northeast Georgia Health System) clinical training facilities? I hope to take advantage of some of the opportunities for rotations in other parts of the state, but I am curious how students view their training at their "base" institutions.

Anything else you think is worth mentioning about the Athens campus? Favorite/least favorite aspect of being a medical student there, do many students wish they had chosen a different campus, any particular problems owing to the newness of the program, etc?

Thanks for fielding questions!

Sorry, didn't mean to spread misinformation. I was making an assumption for the earliest possible call back date per last year's thread.

It's all good, and sorry if I sounded harsh, I just didn't want people to assume they are out of the running just because they haven't heard back in a few months...not everyone is going to be as fortunate as you :)

Thanks! I'll ask here in case anyone else has similar questions about the Athens campus.

Have you felt like there is enough opportunity to come together and get to know both your classmates and students in other years? Does the small class size and being at UGA make this more difficult or less? Subjective question I know, but basically how is the camaraderie between the medical partnership students?

Do you feel like you are a part of the UGA student body as well? Do many of the partnership students take the opportunity to get involved in UGA extracurriculars, go to sporting events, etc?

What are your thoughts on the health sciences campus, and pre-clinical facilities more generally?

I know you aren't into rotations yet, but do you have any thoughts on the local (Athens Regional, St. Mary's, Northeast Georgia Health System) clinical training facilities? I hope to take advantage of some of the opportunities for rotations in other parts of the state, but I am curious how students view their training at their "base" institutions.

Anything else you think is worth mentioning about the Athens campus? Favorite/least favorite aspect of being a medical student there, do many students wish they had chosen a different campus, any particular problems owing to the newness of the program, etc?

Thanks for fielding questions!

It's super easy to get to know everyone at our campus. With only 40 students, we are all very close; think like high school closeness as far as always knowing what is going on, gossip, etc, without the immaturity of being in high school. And we get to know the other classes fairly well. It just depends on the personality of each class too as to how well you get to know them. We've gotten to know the class below us pretty well, but the class above us didn't really take the time to try to get to know my class for instance. Overall though, there is a lot of camaraderie within the class because we spend so much time working in small groups with each other.

As far as interactions with UGA, it's entirely up to the individual how much they get involved. We do get football and other sports tickets, and a lot of us get full season tickets for all the home football games. We are pretty close with the college of public health since we share a campus, and get together with the law and vet schools a lot for social events. We have an IM softball and basketball team I believe. Everything else is really just up to you how much you want to get involved with UGA extracurriculars.

The health sciences campus is great- if you ever want to come by for a tour, feel free. The facilities are great in our main building- we have our own small library, we have about 20 small group rooms that are used for small group, clinical skills, and personal studying. And it's nice being on a full campus as we have lots of green space, a softball field, and other areas to hang out outside.

For clinicals, everything I have heard is wonderful. One of the huge benefits of being in Athens (or the smaller partnership campuses like Rome, Albany, NE GA, etc) is that there aren't any residents. Which means you work one-on-one with the attendings. For some, that may seem intimidating, but most have said that once you get used to it, it really is a huge plus. You learn so much more and are held to higher standards, which means you are more prepared in the long-run for shelf exams and life as a doctor. Plus, you get more hands-on experience since you are the only one there to assist in surgeries, etc. The community in Athens has been incredible supportive of having students in the hospitals, and the hospitals have been great, making us study rooms and locker rooms just for our use. Overall, it's great basically doing clinical rotations in Athens.

Let's see- what else? Most importantly I guess is that the Athens campus is definitely not a good fit for everyone. If you don't like working with others, or you learn best from just being lectured at and aren't very good at self-learning, it's not the campus for you. Those that thrive here are the ones that love problem-based learning and case-based learning, those that work well with others and can learn from other students, and those that are good at learning on their own without going to lectures all day every day. So there is a definitely a personality fit that you should be aware of.

Those that wish they hadn't come here mostly weren't fully aware of what the curriculum entailed; otherwise, I think the majority love the campus here and wouldn't want to go back to Augusta.

A few other things to be aware of- we are generally pushed harder I would say. We have quizzes every single week (yes, that does get annoying, but it keeps all of us from procrastinating and are not worth too much of your grade, so they are really a good learning opportunity). Along with that, while no one has specific numbers, there are rumors that our grades are a tad lower on average. With that being said, things are pass/fail now, so who cares. And when it counts, like step 1, the first two classes have done amazingly well.

Being a new campus has definitely presented a few problems, but most of those have been ironed out by now. There is always going to be some tweaking here or there to try to improve or address student's concerns, but things are running pretty smoothly at this point.

I think one of my favorite parts of being here aside from the small group cases is ECM. For clinical skills, we are in much smaller groups (4 students/facilitator), learn the entire physical exam our first year (whereas in Augusta, I think they only learn a small part their first year), and second year, clinical skills is held entirely in the hospital, so you are seeing patients throughout your second year to practice your history taking and physical exam skills. This is so valuable to me, and it's a great reminder of why we are doing all this, and makes you feel like you are really on your way to becoming a doctor, and feel more prepared for clinicals.

Sorry this is so long! Let me know if you have any other questions or if I missed one of your questions. If you go to the medical partnership website, there should be an email address somewhere if you are interested in coming for a visit and setting up a tour.

It's super easy to get to know everyone at our campus. With only 40 students, we are all very close; think like high school closeness as far as always knowing what is going on, gossip, etc, without the immaturity of being in high school. And we get to know the other classes fairly well. It just depends on the personality of each class too as to how well you get to know them. We've gotten to know the class below us pretty well, but the class above us didn't really take the time to try to get to know my class for instance. Overall though, there is a lot of camaraderie within the class because we spend so much time working in small groups with each other.

As far as interactions with UGA, it's entirely up to the individual how much they get involved. We do get football and other sports tickets, and a lot of us get full season tickets for all the home football games. We are pretty close with the college of public health since we share a campus, and get together with the law and vet schools a lot for social events. We have an IM softball and basketball team I believe. Everything else is really just up to you how much you want to get involved with UGA extracurriculars.

The health sciences campus is great- if you ever want to come by for a tour, feel free. The facilities are great in our main building- we have our own small library, we have about 20 small group rooms that are used for small group, clinical skills, and personal studying. And it's nice being on a full campus as we have lots of green space, a softball field, and other areas to hang out outside.

For clinicals, everything I have heard is wonderful. One of the huge benefits of being in Athens (or the smaller partnership campuses like Rome, Albany, NE GA, etc) is that there aren't any residents. Which means you work one-on-one with the attendings. For some, that may seem intimidating, but most have said that once you get used to it, it really is a huge plus. You learn so much more and are held to higher standards, which means you are more prepared in the long-run for shelf exams and life as a doctor. Plus, you get more hands-on experience since you are the only one there to assist in surgeries, etc. The community in Athens has been incredible supportive of having students in the hospitals, and the hospitals have been great, making us study rooms and locker rooms just for our use. Overall, it's great basically doing clinical rotations in Athens.

Let's see- what else? Most importantly I guess is that the Athens campus is definitely not a good fit for everyone. If you don't like working with others, or you learn best from just being lectured at and aren't very good at self-learning, it's not the campus for you. Those that thrive here are the ones that love problem-based learning and case-based learning, those that work well with others and can learn from other students, and those that are good at learning on their own without going to lectures all day every day. So there is a definitely a personality fit that you should be aware of.

Those that wish they hadn't come here mostly weren't fully aware of what the curriculum entailed; otherwise, I think the majority love the campus here and wouldn't want to go back to Augusta.

A few other things to be aware of- we are generally pushed harder I would say. We have quizzes every single week (yes, that does get annoying, but it keeps all of us from procrastinating and are not worth too much of your grade, so they are really a good learning opportunity). Along with that, while no one has specific numbers, there are rumors that our grades are a tad lower on average. With that being said, things are pass/fail now, so who cares. And when it counts, like step 1, the first two classes have done amazingly well.

Being a new campus has definitely presented a few problems, but most of those have been ironed out by now. There is always going to be some tweaking here or there to try to improve or address student's concerns, but things are running pretty smoothly at this point.

I think one of my favorite parts of being here aside from the small group cases is ECM. For clinical skills, we are in much smaller groups (4 students/facilitator), learn the entire physical exam our first year (whereas in Augusta, I think they only learn a small part their first year), and second year, clinical skills is held entirely in the hospital, so you are seeing patients throughout your second year to practice your history taking and physical exam skills. This is so valuable to me, and it's a great reminder of why we are doing all this, and makes you feel like you are really on your way to becoming a doctor, and feel more prepared for clinicals.

Sorry this is so long! Let me know if you have any other questions or if I missed one of your questions. If you go to the medical partnership website, there should be an email address somewhere if you are interested in coming for a visit and setting up a tour.

This is a great post, thanks so much for the information! Unfortunately I'm overseas full-time, and am only returning briefly for two more interviews (bought the flight before my MCG acceptance) so won't be able to take a tour--really wish I could! If I think of any other questions I'll PM or post on here. Thanks again.

Interviewed 9/18
Haven't heard back...should I be worried :(

has anyone heard back today or this week?