2013-2014 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what are your stats if you don't mind sharing

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite by email today. Regular decision applicant. I am currently overseas so I have to do some airline price comparing before selecting my date. Sometime in September though. Georgia native, only applying to Georgia schools. Stoked.

Interview invite by email today. Regular decision applicant. I am currently overseas so I have to do some airline price comparing before selecting my date. Sometime in September though. Georgia native, only applying to Georgia schools. Stoked.

Congrats!!!

You guys that are getting your interview invites, when was your application completed and verified? If they are on rolling admissions, I would love to know what date they are up to...

You guys that are getting your interview invites, when was your application completed and verified? If they are on rolling admissions, I would love to know what date they are up to...

AMCAS submitted 6/18
AMCAS verified 7/18
secondary submitted 7/20
essays resent 7/24 (character limit thing)
final letter of rec arrived 8/2 (never got a complete email or anything, but it couldn't have been earlier than this)
interview invite 8/13

for those that were asking about stats earlier: cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.5, MCAT 35, very good ECs/research/leadership. Strong ties to GA and applying only to GA schools

Secondary Application submitted and received on 7/10/2013, and I have not heard anything from them yet. I am wondering if this means a rejection.

Secondary Application submitted and received on 7/10/2013, and I have not heard anything from them yet. I am wondering if this means a rejection.

I wouldn't worry too much. Everyone needs to remember that MCG is new to rolling admissions, so we really don't know how things are going to play out this year.

Too early to think that. I submitted early (really early July) and haven't heard anything. Still hopeful.

I wouldn't worry too much. Everyone needs to remember that MCG is new to rolling admissions, so we really don't know how things are going to play out this year.

...unless I'm severely mistaken on what rolling admissions means, we've been doing it as far back as I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know how many oos applicants get sent secondaries? also are they more apt to take an oos applicant that has some connection to georgia? (like if I was born in atlanta, lived there for 3 years and still have family there)

anyone know how many oos applicants get sent secondaries? also are they more apt to take an oos applicant that has some connection to georgia? (like if I was born in atlanta, lived there for 3 years and still have family there)

I would love to know this as well... I completed the secondary a few weeks ago, but haven't heard anything. Any OOS people hear about interviews?

so I just received my first secondary application although my MCAT scores will only be up on Sept 10. my gpa should be competitive3.74..not really sure about how I will end up in the mcat ( mixed feelings about it). The other parts of my application (work experience, background) are great.

I was pretty close. Didn't have too many "adversities" to talk about considering I'm a white, middle class male. First world problems

are u guys sure if it was 500 words? i think it was 500 characters if I am not mistaken..:laugh:

I'm an oos applicant and received my secondary last week even though my primary isn't released from amcas yet. Anyone in the same boat? Does anyone know the exact documents oos students have to submit since I won't be applying for Georgia residency?? The site was kind of confusing for oos applicants.

For those of you without II, when you click on the interview tab.. does it say "You have not been invited to interview?"

I can't imagine this is their form of rejection? Maybe the word YET is missing from the end of that sentence? hahahahah

For those of you without II, when you click on the interview tab.. does it say "You have not been invited to interview?"

I can't imagine this is their form of rejection? Maybe the word YET is missing from the end of that sentence? hahahahah

Mine says that too :scared:

I'm hoping that it just means we haven't been invited YET (to be fair MCG just received the last piece of material for my app this past Friday so I doubt they already made a decision for me). It'd be a bummer to not even get an II here...I'm IS with fairly good stats and ECs

Mine says that too :scared:

I'm hoping that it just means we haven't been invited YET (to be fair MCG just received the last piece of material for my app this past Friday so I doubt they already made a decision for me). It'd be a bummer to not even get an II here...I'm IS with fairly good stats and ECs

Mine has said that since the day I submitted my secondary.

MCG is a great place to be. Graduated last year, so figured I would jump on this thread and see where it goes this year. Good luck guys and gals!

Reactions: 1 user
MCG is a great place to be. Graduated last year, so figured I would jump on this thread and see where it goes this year. Good luck guys and gals!

Where did you go for your residency? Focus? Were your classmates generally pleased with their matches?

Since most graduates do not check back here, many lurking and hoping might find your feedback of value.
:)

I'm in EM. Our class, like every class, tends to be very happy with their matches and their specialties. Match is a long way away for you guys, but keep in mind that a match list is nothing more than a list of places where people want/would like to match, and not a reflection of the strength of a particular medical school, reputation, or anything else. Some of the most competitive people I know decided to go to lesser known programs for one reason or another.

Good news is... the sky is the limit when it comes to residency locations and specialties. Individual effort can get you anywhere and in anything.

Hey guys, Im interviewing mid-SEP for RD

For those who have already interviewed, what was your interview experience like? What kind of questions were you asked (not looking for anything specific, just general areas of emphasis). Any suggestions for those of us yet to interview?

Hey guys, Im interviewing mid-SEP for RD

For those who have already interviewed, what was your interview experience like? What kind of questions were you asked (not looking for anything specific, just general areas of emphasis). Any suggestions for those of us yet to interview?

The biggest thing is to have an idea of the basics: why you want to be a doctor, and discuss your clinical/volunteer/research experiences. But of course, be able to properly answer any questions you may get asked about your application, so know your application inside-out. Since MCG is primarily also for IS students, also have an idea or two about why you want to stay in GA to practice (even if you actually don't). Don't have anything scripted. Have a good idea of how you'd answer different questions, but be genuine. And finally, relax and enjoy the day. Good luck :)

Hi everyone!

First time poster, just got an interview invite here, email came last night at 7pm so a pretty late surprise.

Was complete in mid July, am out of state.

hope to see some of you on nov. 8th!

Anyone on here coming to the September 16th Interview Date? Also, is there student hosting?

Hi everyone!

First time poster, just got an interview invite here, email came last night at 7pm so a pretty late surprise.

Was complete in mid July, am out of state.

hope to see some of you on nov. 8th!

Anyone on here coming to the September 16th Interview Date? Also, is there student hosting?

Good luck to everybody with interviews!

I'm gonna be flying in from OOS for this interview. Anyone have any tips? Is it better to fly directly into Augusta or fly into Atlanta instead? And if I fly into Atlanta, what's the best way to get from there to Augusta?

Last edited:

Me! I'm coming in from out of the country and staying at my brother's place in Atlanta. Probably just gonna hop over to Augusta for the day. Gotta fly back out on Tuesday.

See you there :thumbup:

Quick question. I am definitely a Georgia resident, been living here for a year and a half. Registered to vote in Hall County last year, have a year's worth of utility bills, paid Georgia state taxes, have a lease with my name on it, and submitted all of the above paperwork onto the document upload. But I do not have a Georgia state license to upload. Think this will be a problem for getting in-state status?

Quick question. I am definitely a Georgia resident, been living here for a year and a half. Registered to vote in Hall County last year, have a year's worth of utility bills, paid Georgia state taxes, have a lease with my name on it, and submitted all of the above paperwork onto the document upload. But I do not have a Georgia state license to upload. Think this will be a problem for getting in-state status?

Why don't you just get a GA state license. I guess it doesn't take long to get that

This is the type of question that you should ask the admissions office.

Do they still have group interview?
i saw that they have pushed back the meeting time from 8 30 am to 10 am

Do they still have group interview?
i saw that they have pushed back the meeting time from 8 30 am to 10 am

Interviews are one on one. If you are scheduled to get there are 10am, it likely means that your actual interview is sometime after lunch.

There seems to be a bit of a lull in activity on this thread. Are a lot of RD IIs going out right now (just not to me) or is the school focusing on finishing with the EDP applicants?

(And yes... the "hurry up and wait" application process is making me crazy!) :scared:

Interview invite today,
Complete 8/9
Instate, 3.85cGPA, 3.9sGPA, 32 MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
There seems to be a bit of a lull in activity on this thread. Are a lot of RD IIs going out right now (just not to me) or is the school focusing on finishing with the EDP applicants?

(And yes... the "hurry up and wait" application process is making me crazy!) :scared:

Early decision is over with. The school decided this year to only take a few people EDP so that they wouldn't limit the regular decision applicant pool as much as they have in the past years. Regular decision interviews have started and are ongoing.

Sorry, I don't have any info on when they will send out more invites...be patient! It's a long year and it's still very early. I know it sucks waiting. When I applied I didn't get an invite until January and I was at the point of deciding what to do with my free time if I didn't get in. Worrying doesn't help.

So do you think MCG will adhere to the amcas October 15th rule or let us know earlier?

Haha, there is no reason to think they wouldn't follow it. I see from earlier in the thread you had your interview this past Monday...it's a little early to be getting antsy about an acceptance. Good luck! :)

What can I say, it's unavoidable :)

Anyone has any advice for the interview?
I am extremely nervous... what is the interview like? low stress or high stress?
Im freaking out !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: