2013-2014 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted today from the waiting list via phone call! Augusta campus

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing here either...
For the 2015 cycle, would I be better off applying EDP to MCG or applying to the 18 schools I've picked out around the country where I would have a shot at being accepted as well? I was wait listed at MCG this year after applying late in the cycle (submitted 9/26/13). I meet the new minimum requirements for applying EPD to MCG. I would love to go to MCG, but I have only made minor improvements on my application while I worked full time this year. I am worried I will end up on the wait list once again and hurt my chances of matriculating to other schools. How much does applying EDP help my chances and what which option would give me a better chance of being accepted overall?

If you meet the requirements you can but if you didn't improve much it might be better to just apply to the 18 schools.

If your only drawback was applying late, but otherwise had a strong app, applying again EDP might be a good idea; they've traditionally seemed to like their EDP candidates. Since this year's cycle is "over" in terms of the waitlist being established, maybe the admissions committee would be open to discussing this with you. They have always been very responsive, and are open to providing interview/application feedback. Ask them if you are a good EDP candidate, or if you had a glaring deficiency in your application. It certainly can't hurt to ask for advice on how to move forward.

Hmmm director of admissions is out this week. Does this mean not much is going to occur this week?

(Even if the two have nothing to do with each other I am going to pretend they do so I don't feel bad about MCG being quiet)

Reactions: 1 user
If you meet the requirements you can but if you didn't improve much it might be better to just apply to the 18 schools.
This is what I was thinking too, but I might take a chance and hope applying early will improve my odds of being accepted.
If your only drawback was applying late, but otherwise had a strong app, applying again EDP might be a good idea; they've traditionally seemed to like their EDP candidates. Since this year's cycle is "over" in terms of the waitlist being established, maybe the admissions committee would be open to discussing this with you. They have always been very responsive, and are open to providing interview/application feedback. Ask them if you are a good EDP candidate, or if you had a glaring deficiency in your application. It certainly can't hurt to ask for advice on how to move forward.
I talked with Dr. Duncan at the admissions office two weeks ago. I was surprised, but she did not really have too much personal feed back to give me. Most of the suggestions for my application that she gave she started by asking what I thought I needed to improve on and then told me what the average MCG application looked like for that category. I was hoping for more of her opinion on my application since I already have a good idea of average applications from here and MDApps. She did bring up applying EDP so I think that shows she thinks I would be a good candidate for EDP. The only real flaw she mentioned in my application was my minimal shadowing hours which I am working to improve. She would not release any information on what the committee or my interviewer thought of me.

I talked with Dr. Duncan at the admissions office two weeks ago. I was surprised, but she did not really have too much personal feed back to give me. Most of the suggestions for my application that she gave she started by asking what I thought I needed to improve on and then told me what the average MCG application looked like for that category. I was hoping for more of her opinion on my application since I already have a good idea of average applications from here and MDApps. She did bring up applying EDP so I think that shows she thinks I would be a good candidate for EDP. The only real flaw she mentioned in my application was my minimal shadowing hours which I am working to improve. She would not release any information on what the committee or my interviewer thought of me.

Dean Duncan is very nice but a psychologist through and through!

I spoke to her a few times and she at least gave me a drop of feedback that my interviewer felt I would make a good people physician (I am not sure if that means as opposed to a vet or as opposed to a research physician), either way I was surprised as I get told I need to do the opposite! ;)

Dean Duncan is very nice but a psychologist through and through!

I spoke to her a few times and she at least gave me a drop of feedback that my interviewer felt I would make a good people physician (I am not sure if that means as opposed to a vet or as opposed to a research physician), either way I was surprised as I get told I need to do the opposite! ;)
Ah, that's helpful though! I was hoping for something along those lines. She told me most people have a good feel for how their interview went. I said I thought it went well and she left it at that. I am hoping that's an indirect way of her telling me it went well.

Ah, that's helpful though! I was hoping for something along those lines. She told me most people have a good feel for how their interview went. I said I thought it went well and she left it at that. I am hoping that's an indirect way of her telling me it went well.

Well in my case my first interview did not go well last year. This year went better but I am of course still sitting on the wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an update...According to the Facebook page, there was wait list movement today.

The class liaison posted today on Facebook that the class is still not finalized, which makes me think that there are still spots open.

Reactions: 2 users
I've heard a couple of things:

1. The waitlist this year is unranked.
2. The Athens campus has been finalized with the exception of three people.
3. I'm guessing the same for the Augusta campus times five.

How do they decide who to pull off the wait list if it is unranked?

How do they decide who to pull off the wait list if it is unranked?

As I've heard some of the SDN advisers on here state, the unranked waitlists they will usually select people who they think will accept (they can see where people hold spots) so they might want to offer to a person who is holding a spot at a school they think they are better than but not offer to someone who is holding a spot at an Ivy. MCG might want to offer a spot to someone from one of the PR schools as opposed to someone who is holding a seat at Harvard.

Also they might need to assure certain demographics. Let's say all of the MCG acceptances to women were declined because all of them were accepted at Harvard/Yale/other Ivies, crap now MCG needs women else they will have an all male class! They might just sort the applicants by sex and issue 100 acceptances to women only. Of course that is not exactly how it happens, but just an extreme example.

Got a call today, accepted at the Augusta campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Got a call today, accepted at the Augusta campus.
Did you do anything special after being put on the waiting list? As in letters, phone appointments, updates, etc? And congratulations!

Did you do anything special after being put on the waiting list? As in letters, phone appointments, updates, etc? And congratulations!

Thank you, I am very excited! I called them once to clarify an issue with my transcript and added a few updates to my secondary application (more shadowing and updated grades). But I really didn't bug them too much.

HOUSING
I am joining as an M1 in the Augusta campus and am looking for a male roommate. Anyone still looking for roommates? Please let me know.
I am from Atlanta. (my old roommate decided to go to a different school and I am scrambling now!).
If there are any M2s or M3s with open spots in their house, I am open to it as well.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything lately? Does anyone know whether the class is finalized or not at this point?

can somebody tell me exactly what they require for "lawful presence" documentation? I'm out of state and they're still missing my stuff and I don't know what I need to upload. sorry to sound dumb haha

I think you might want to try the link for this year not last. But lawful presence is basically proof you are here legally so maybe a passport. Can't remember if DL was one of them, I think it was. I know I have at least one identity document, some income taxes, and utility bills.

Congrats to all those who have been accepted! Can't wait for you guys to start on your journey here at MCG. For those of you still on the wait list, I have had many friends in my class who were accepted off the wait list, many who didn't know until around May. There was even one student who was accepted just a couple weeks before school started, and for some reason all the wait listed students are mostly above average students here in our class!

Would also like to show you guys how much fun people here at MCG have:

Shouldn't this video be posted on the 2014-2015 application thread?

Good video but crappy song. Either way, makes you realize how far out of medical school we already are from the 2013 class! Time flies.

For those of you who matriculated at MCG this (2013-2014) cycle, when were you able to access your student email account and JAG ID? Admissions told me that it would be some time "after the first of the year," but well over half a month has passed since the first of the year and my inbox is conspicuously devoid of any such instructions. I'd like to at least be given my student ID number and access to my student account so that I can apply for on-campus housing as early as possible.

(I was accepted September 2016 [EDP] for the 2016-2017 cycle and immediately sent in my signed commitment to matriculate and acceptance deposit check, so the Admissions office has had those documents for months now. I also completed and passed my background check months ago.)