2013-2014 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I interviewed it was a welcome to LSU 30 minute lecture and then a tour of the hospital and school followed by lunch and then came back for 3 interviews, one of them didn't have your MCAT or grades in their folder. All the interviews were one on one. One of them was a MS4. Think it was 9-4ish.

Ditto, except no MS4 for ED applicants when I applied

Members don't see this ad.

I just checked and I was wrong, I did get a confirmation 2 weeks after I got my II/scheduled my interview. Incase anyone was curious this is what my email said:

"This e-mail is to confirm your appointment to interview at the LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans and to tour the facilities. Your interview date has been scheduled for Monday, January 7, 2013. Since you are applying to a professional school, the interview day is focused on learning more about you as an applicant as well as introducing you to our LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans. Therefore, we ask that you do not bring any guests with you.

The following is a schedule of the activities for the day. You may want to print a map from MapQuest for the easiest directions to the LSUHSC New Orleans campus.

9:15-9:20 AM Arrive in the Admissions Office
9:30 AM Orientation
10:30 AM Tour and lunch with medical students
1:30-4:30 PM Interviews with Admissions Committee

PARKING: Complimentary visitor parking is available in the Roman Street Parking Garage, located at the corner of Tulane Avenue and South Roman, (Bldg. 7). South Roman is a 2-way street between Poydras and Tulane Avenue. As you enter the parking garage take a ticket from the vending machine. Park only on the first floor in the PATIENT PARKING section. Please bring the parking ticket with you to the Admissions Office for validation.

DIRECTIONS TO THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE: Take the parking garage elevator to the 3rd Floor. Follow the covered walkway, proceeding to the first glass doors on your left. Follow the construction signs to the elevators; go to the 3rd floor of that building, cross through the atrium/lounge, staying to the right of the Starbucks counter to exit that area. Proceed down the hallway to the Admissions Office (Bldg. 9), the last office on the right, room 3201.

Please be mindful that the walking tour of the campus and facilities is quite extensive as the campus encompasses a large area. If you are unable to keep this appointment, please call us immediately to reschedule; however, it may be several weeks before we can accommodate you."

Congrats to everyone who got an II! Y'all all applied ED, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
So ED interview Invites have gone out? Do you think there will be any more going out in the next week or two? What happens to ED applicants who don't get invites?

So ED interview Invites have gone out? Do you think there will be any more going out in the next week or two? What happens to ED applicants who don't get invites?
I would think since you have until Sept 1 to complete ED file, that more ED IIs would go out from now until even after Sept 1
Right now, interviews are being scheduled for Sept 9, 10 & 11.
Maybe there will be another round of interviews the following week???

Does anyone know about how many ED interviews they typically have? And the number ED accepted?

if my family has a second home in LA (otherwise I am OOS) do you think it is worth to apply??

Last edited:
Just curious if the 32 hour rule applies only to post Bac. I'm a non trad with a much better final 2 years after a horrible start. My science gpa is still not terrible, but my overall is pretty low. (2.9) Due, exclusively, to bad grades from 10 years ago. I've retaken the few science classes I got C's or lower in, but there wasn't much to do besides that. My graduating GPA was 3.5 and if only counting my last 32 hours I'm closer to the 3.8-3.9 range.

Just curious if the 32 hour rule applies only to post Bac.

That's what I was told. But many a person has been accepted to medical school based on an upward trend, so it's worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
II via email!!!!! RD; file was complete 7/19.

Congrats!!!

Did anyone else applying RD hear anything back yet?

I am still waiting to be verified by AMCAS. Does anyone know if LSU waits for your file to be verified by AMCAS before issuing II?

Thanks & Good Luck!

Hey guys, received RD II invite today, submitted my secondary around 7/30. Interview scheduled for 9/16.

Congrats to all of you getting interviews! Any of you want to post your stats?

I am in-state and applying to both LSU campuses. I am very nontrad student. I did two and a half years of post-bacc nearly all upper level science classes with GPA of 4.0 and my MCAT is a 31. I worked at a hospital for a year and a half, in addition to some community service.

Last edited:
Does anyone know about how many students were interviewed for early decision last year? And about how many LSU accepted for ED?

Is it odd that I'm receiving an email saying that my file is complete before my status as changed to "verified" on AMCAS? I hand-delivered my secondary almost two weeks before my final transcript went through. I'm still under "submitted for review" in AMCAS, but got this email:

ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF COMPLETION
LSU SCHOOL OF MEDICINE IN NEW ORLEANS

This is to acknowledge that your application to LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans is now complete. You will be contacted by the Admissions Office when further action is taken on your application.

Is it odd that I'm receiving an email saying that my file is complete before my status as changed to "verified" on AMCAS? I hand-delivered my secondary almost two weeks before my final transcript went through. I'm still under "submitted for review" in AMCAS, but got this email:

ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF COMPLETION
LSU SCHOOL OF MEDICINE IN NEW ORLEANS

This is to acknowledge that your application to LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans is now complete. You will be contacted by the Admissions Office when further action is taken on your application.

I got the same thing in an email and I have yet to be verified by AMCAS. And apparently I won't be verified for another six weeks. Ugh!

Does anyone know if II are sent out even if you have yet to be verified? The Shreveport website makes it VERY clear that they will not consider you until you are verified. However, NOLA's website just says completed.

Wishful thinking!!! ;)

I got the same thing in an email and I have yet to be verified by AMCAS. And apparently I won't be verified for another six weeks. Ugh!

Does anyone know if II are sent out even if you have yet to be verified? The Shreveport website makes it VERY clear that they will not consider you until you are verified. However, NOLA's website just says completed.

Wishful thinking!!! ;)

How'd you figure out your verification time?

The AMCAS website has a posting on their website that states that instead of the normal 6 week verification time they are approximating nearly 8 weeks until final verification. They are saying that there are an unusually high number of applicants this year.

Anyway I submitted my application earlier this month. So I am just assuming that if it really is going to take them eight weeks, then mine won't be done until mid-October.

The AMCAS website has a posting on their website that states that instead of the normal 6 week verification time they are approximating nearly 8 weeks until final verification. They are saying that there are an unusually high number of applicants this year.

Anyway I submitted my application earlier this month. So I am just assuming that if it really is going to take them eight weeks, then mine won't be done until mid-October.

Geez...that's discouraging. Oh well. I guess I'll just lower my expectations accordingly.

You can get the message of application completion and still not get an interview invite till January. It really doesn't mean anything.

Congrats to all of you getting interviews! Any of you want to post your stats?

I am in-state and applying to both LSU campuses. Really hoping to stay in NOLA though. I am 27 very nontrade student. I did two and a half years of post-bacc nearly all upper level science classes with GPA of 4.0 and my MCAT is a 31. I worked at a hospital for a year and a half, did LOTS of science tutoring and SI work for the LSU system, in addition to some community service.

I am really hoping that AMCAS verification will not destroy my chances.

We have very similar non-trad stats. Why didnt you apply ED if you wanted to stay in Nola?

Are most of the ED candidates from out of state? In state? Or both?

My guess would be that the majority are in state since LSU isn't exactly what most would call out of state friendly. So it would be super risky to apply ED there if someone was from out of state.

We have very similar non-trad stats. Why didnt you apply ED if you wanted to stay in Nola?

I took the MCAT in mid July. I was a retake and didn't want to send in my app with my poor first score on it. I had a friend who did that last year an they didn't even look at her for EDP.

I took the MCAT in mid July. I was a retake and didn't want to send in my app with my poor first score on it. I had a friend who did that last year an they didn't even look at her for EDP.

Gotcha, You're in fine shape, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Gotcha, well I got an ED invite with basically those stats except you have more clinical time than me by far. You're in fine shape, in my opinion.

Thanks! Good luck on your interview!!!

Wow, I just now got a complete email. I mailed my secondary in June 29th, and they received it by July 5th. Incidentally, the official email only came when I emailed them from a different address, asking about my file status. OOS applicant, btw, with ties to the area.

Wow, I just now got a complete email. I mailed my secondary in June 29th, and they received it by July 5th. Incidentally, the official email only came when I emailed them from a different address, asking about my file status. OOS applicant, btw, with ties to the area.

+1 all the way around.

You emailed them and got a response? Did you send the email to the address that sent you the secondary?

Got Pre-screened and did not receive a secondary.

OOS with 3.3 UG/3.9 SMP/32 MCAT

Not a big deal (FL Resident, likely stay in state) but still surprising. I would guess they screened based on my UG GPA.

Good Luck everyone.

You and I have very similar numbers (your SMP GPA is better than mine) and I'm OOS also. Pre-screened and did not receive a secondary either. First rejection of the cycle, hollerrr. :p Sadly, any news is better than no news at this point...

So...new suit or get an old one tailored?

So...new suit or get an old one tailored?

I feel more confident while wearing a new suit, but if it's inexpensive, get the old one tailored first and evaluate how you look and feel in it. If for some reason you are still leaning toward a new one, go for it; you'll have two suits that fit well.

I was wondering if someone knows anyone in the past who has gotten an interview without meeting the science letter requirement.
I have 1 bio professor letter and a non science letter and some from research and volunteering but these wont count as science...

worth still applying?

I was wondering if someone knows anyone in the past who has gotten an interview without meeting the science letter requirement.
I have 1 bio professor letter and a non science letter and some from research and volunteering but these wont count as science...

worth still applying?

I can't find the relevant post, but I remember somebody in the LSU-NO thread from a previous cycle had trouble with this. They had two science letters and one non, and they were tryng to see if LSU would be lenient on the science letter requirement, but no luck. I think when they say 3 science letters, they mean it.

EDIT: Found them:

http://http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11245572&postcount=53
http://http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11248502&postcount=62
http://http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11282653&postcount=80
http://http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11390586&postcount=96

All from this thread: http://http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823414&highlight=science+letters
2011/2012 cycle. Sorry :(

Last edited:
Got an II today. OOS but with VERY strong ties to Louisiana, 27 cgpa 3.79, sgpa 3.85.

Got an interview invite! Complete 9/3, II 9/4. 31 mcat, 3.9 cgpa, 4.0 sgpa.

Got an interview invite! Complete 9/3, II 9/4. 31 mcat, 3.9 cgpa, 4.0 sgpa.

Congrats!!!

Wow! You got an II the day after your file was complete? Does anyone know if this is this highly unusual?

Congrats!!!

Wow! You got an II the day after your file was complete? Does anyone know if this is this highly unusual?

Thank you! And yes, right after I was complete, I got the II. I was shocked. New Orleans has been extremely prompt with everything.