2013-2014 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the secondary from LSU. I know primaries aren't sent to med schools until next friday, but I just got an email from them.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the secondary from LSU. I know primaries aren't sent to med schools until next friday, but I just got an email from them.

I'm pretty sure the first batch of primaries were sent today. I got my secondary too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who got secondaries:
1) Are you planning to include the optional additional letter?
2) The re-applicant form asks you to list classes you've taken or are planning to take since you last applied, but only gives space for Spring, Summer and Fall of 2013, or Spring of 2014. I last applied in 2011 and I have taken a good number of classes since then, but there is no space to list them. Would it be okay if I scratched out the terms on the sheet and rewrote them to list the terms when I actually took classes? I assumed the reapplicant form was to assess what you've been doing since you last applied, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to know about classes I took in 2011 and 2012.

To those who got secondaries:
1) Are you planning to include the optional additional letter?
2) The re-applicant form asks you to list classes you've taken or are planning to take since you last applied, but only gives space for Spring, Summer and Fall of 2013, or Spring of 2014. I last applied in 2011 and I have taken a good number of classes since then, but there is no space to list them. Would it be okay if I scratched out the terms on the sheet and rewrote them to list the terms when I actually took classes? I assumed the reapplicant form was to assess what you've been doing since you last applied, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to know about classes I took in 2011 and 2012.

I am not planning to include the optional letter nor do I know anyone who has in the past. I personally don't have anything additional to explain so I don't see the use in including it. Also, I would think it would be ok to scratch out their labels and provide your own. Several of my other schools allowed you to attach a separate list if you needed additional space, so I would assume that would also be an option.

OOS secondary received today! Feeling the love :)

Are any of y'all having trouble fitting the text into the spaces provided? Especially when they ask about volunteer/working...I'm putting maybe 8 words and I need a microscope to see what I'm typing!

Are any of y'all having trouble fitting the text into the spaces provided? Especially when they ask about volunteer/working...I'm putting maybe 8 words and I need a microscope to see what I'm typing!

I called them about that, they said you can add an addendum with that info.

Just got the secondaries submitted today! A little low on the clinical experience(about 100 hours) but I hope everything else in my app will make up for it. Good luck guys!

How long after you submitted your AMCAS did it take to receive your secondaries from LSU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete! Anyone know when they start sending interview invites for EDP?

Dates from a couple years ago

Interview invite - Aug 8th
Interview dates - Sept 13th/14th (they had us pick one)

Haha, thanks. I PMed you as well because I didn't know if you were still following this thread. I'm so pumped up I can't think of anything else :eek:

In everyone's expert opinions, if you do not have the best grades (gap 3.47), but you do have a variety and extensive list of EC's, do you think it would be worth including the letter explaining what you lack in grades, you hope to make up in experience? I have worked in a hospital and homeless clinic for over 4 years and have other health related EC's. I am worried that my grades and MCAT score may prevent ADCOM from looking at my experiences.

Everyone applying ED, if you don't mind, what are your stats?

Everyone applying ED, if you don't mind, what are your stats?

I applied ED, I have a 3.65 cgpa and 3.69 sgpa, 35 (11, 13, 11) MCAT. Second time applicant, nontraditional. I have over 3,000 hours of experience working as both a CNA in a nursing home and a patient care tech in a hospital. I'm low on volunteer hours (under 100) but my volunteer experiences are kind of unique so I'm hoping that will come into play. I have almost no research but I dont think LSU puts a terrible lot of emphasis on it.

If your ED too, care to share? :)

Last edited:
Got Pre-screened and did not receive a secondary.

OOS with 3.3 UG/3.9 SMP/32 MCAT

Not a big deal (FL Resident, likely stay in state) but still surprising. I would guess they screened based on my UG GPA.

Good Luck everyone.

Got Pre-screened and did not receive a secondary.

OOS with 3.3 UG/3.9 SMP/32 MCAT

Not a big deal (FL Resident, likely stay in state) but still surprising. I would guess they screened based on my UG GPA.

Good Luck everyone.

You don't think it has to do with you not being a Louisiana resident?

You don't think it has to do with you not being a Louisiana resident?

Well that's the obvious part....

OOS students are the only ones they screen at all.

What's the secondary prompt? Still waiting on letters from two professors. :rolleyes:

Do you think that someone with these stats would get in?

- Louisiana Resident
- URM
- 3.4 GPA
- 36 MCAT
- 100+ hrs ER volunteer
- 500+ clinical hours
- 4.0 for last 4 semesters of college
- Member of multiple clubs

To anyone who submitted ED, how long did it take to be verified by AMCAS? I got my MCAT score last night and just submitted today for ED. I know it's cutting it close but I was under the impression the lead time for verification for ED is a few days max.

Um, holy crap, never mind, 10 minutes in case anyone else has this same question. Done. Waiting on secondary now.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a rough estimate as to where LSU starts to screen out applicants as far as GPA and MCAT scores are concerned?

Does anyone have a rough estimate as to where LSU starts to screen out applicants as far as GPA and MCAT scores are concerned?

I'm not sure if anyone can know this. Especially considering they let someone in with a 22. But to be competitive, Dr. Eubanks told me to shoot for a 3.5 and a 10/10/10, so that's the only rough guideline I know of.

I'm not sure if anyone can know this. Especially considering they let someone in with a 22. But to be competitive, Dr. Eubanks told me to shoot for a 3.5 and a 10/10/10, so that's the only rough guideline I know of.

What year did they let someone in with a 22, and do you know what their GPA was? :eek:

I know someone with a 24 who got in with a 3.93. Started in 2011.

n/m

Last edited:
What year did they let someone in with a 22, and do you know what their GPA was? :eek:

From page 1 of this, it seems it was an anecdote with no details.

At the SNMA mock interviews in January, Dr. Delcarpio said "it's not all about grades, I've got students with a 40 MCAT and a 4.0 that are fixing to fail and and one we let in with a 22 and a 2.7 who is passing with honors"- I took that as a yes, but you've gotta have one hell of a PS and EC's.

Are you being serious, if so what year was this?

N/m, got it.

Last edited:
Anyone with skype interested in doing a mock interview exchange? I need all the practice I can get :D

This thread is dead.

Anyone "complete" in the admissions office yet?

MCAT has nothing to do with how well you will do in this school
If you are a good grinder, you will do well

Complete 7/19. Primary submitted 6/10, secondary received 6/28, secondary submitted 7/6. :)

If the timing is the same as last year, ED applicants should be expecting a letter in about a week. Obviously, it won't be exact but I'd imagine it will be close.

EDIT: A letter for an interview invite.

Last edited:
Wondering about yall's opinion on including an optional letter mentioning the following:

How do medical schools look upon legacy? My sister just graduated literally this May from LSUNO. Would mentioning how her description of the school has given me a better insight help or is it pretentious to mention family relationships?

Going to university in the city help/ growing up in the city? I'm 99% certain this is obvious just by looking at my application though, so I would assume not unless someone tells me I should mention this.

A strong love of LA, having grown up here?

Anyway, good luck to everyone! I've heard great things about LSUNO!

Wondering about yall's opinion on including an optional letter mentioning the following:

How do medical schools look upon legacy? My sister just graduated literally this May from LSUNO. Would mentioning how her description of the school has given me a better insight help or is it pretentious to mention family relationships?

Going to university in the city help/ growing up in the city? I'm 99% certain this is obvious just by looking at my application though, so I would assume not unless someone tells me I should mention this.

A strong love of LA, having grown up here?

Anyway, good luck to everyone! I've heard great things about LSUNO!

All are valid points and good for optional letter IMO.
I believe LSU likes applicants who show interest in the school, whether it sounds a little pretentious or not.
good luck :luck:

I applied ED, I have a 3.65 cgpa and 3.69 sgpa, 35 (11, 13, 11) MCAT. Second time applicant, nontraditional. I have over 3,000 hours of experience working as both a CNA in a nursing home and a patient care tech in a hospital. I'm low on volunteer hours (under 100) but my volunteer experiences are kind of unique so I'm hoping that will come into play. I have almost no research but I dont think LSU puts a terrible lot of emphasis on it.

If your ED too, care to share? :)

Your stats look good to me. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think the problem was your first time applying?

In case y'all are interested...I called the admissions office yesterday, and the lady said that RD interview invites aren't coming out for several weeks.