2013-2014 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your stats look good to me. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think the problem was your first time applying?

I was a hot mess my first application cycle. I didn't get my primary in until September, had a 28 MCAT, no clinical experience and barely any volunteer experience or other ECs to speak of. I really shouldn't have been applying at all.

If the timing is the same as last year, ED applicants should be expecting a letter in about a week. Obviously, it won't be exact but I'd imagine it will be close.

EDIT: A letter for an interview invite.

Thanks for the heads up! I am going to start obsessively checking my email starting next week :)

EDIT: Dumb question, but they do extend II's by email, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the heads up! I am going to start obsessively checking my email starting next week :)

EDIT: Dumb question, but they do extend II's by email, right?

They emailed ll's last year for regular decision, so I would assume they would do the same for ED.

That would've been a pleasant surprise. I always assumed the invite would come in the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can some one clarify, what is a II? I assumed that was a secondary, which is sent through email. Is it also the case that interview invites come via snail mail?

Are any other ED candidates still waiting for the "complete" email from the admissions office?

Can some one clarify, what is a II? I assumed that was a secondary, which is sent through email. Is it also the case that interview invites come via snail mail?

Are any other ED candidates still waiting for the "complete" email from the admissions office?

II = Interview Invite, which comes by email, to my recollection

You still aren't complete? Maybe call them?

Has anyone that's applied RD gotten a complete email yet? Starting to get concerned that I haven't received one yet..

You still aren't complete? Maybe call them?

Called, they told me "Don't worry, you're fine". Ha, admissions office. I feel like everything they say is purposefully shrouded in mystery and ambiguity.

Called, they told me "Don't worry, you're fine". Ha, admissions office. I feel like everything they say is purposefully shrouded in mystery and ambiguity.

Just checked the website, I think you really are fine. The deadline to have your app IN was August 1st, but the deadline to be marked complete isn't until September 1st. Hopefully we'll get some good news soon :)

Just checked the website, I think you really are fine. The deadline to have your app IN was August 1st, but the deadline to be marked complete isn't until September 1st. Hopefully we'll get some good news soon :)

Amen, sister. It's funny to be at this stage of "hope they like me", there is literally nothing else we can do. The goose is cooked.

Members don't see this ad :)

Actually, I think the deadline to have your AMCAS submitted was August 1st, and the deadline to have your secondary in is Sept 1st. They'll still be receiving apps for several more weeks for ED so no worries if you're not complete yet.

Am I in the wrong thread? My Secondary invitation email says:

"The deadline to complete Stage 2 files in this office is January 15, 2014."

Obviously I'm not going to wait until then, though.

Also, what's the deal with selective service? I registered for that when I turned 18.

EDIT: "Go to www.sss.gov, choose verify a registration" Copy that.

One more thing. My Stage 2 thing says:

"12. If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school."

... so is this not an essay?

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, what's the deal with selective service? I registered for that when I turned 18.

They are discussing early decision. You have to have your stuff in by August 1 for that.

Reactions: 1 user

One more thing. My Stage 2 thing says:

"12. If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school."

... so is this not an essay?

Oh geez, I'm sorry! Smurfette's right, we are talking about ED. I'll make sure to say "for ED" whenever I make a statement like that from now on.

Not sure about selective servivce, but that letter IS technically the essay. The reason is says "no essay" is because it is optional and not alot of people do it. The general consensus is that you only need to do one if you need to explain something like low grades. If you feel like your application speaks for itself, then don't worry about it.

So...quiet week for everyone?

Maybe next week.

So...quiet week for everyone?

Maybe next week.

Yea, kind of dissappointing :( I know it's still very early but I'm already getting neurotic over here.

Anyone know if there is a specific day of the week they send II's? Or could it be any day. Think I'm going to call the office on Monday and see if they can tell me anything to calm my nerves.

Anyone know if there is a specific day of the week they send II's? Or could it be any day. Think I'm going to call the office on Monday and see if they can tell me anything to calm my nerves.

I think they send them throughout the week, but last year I got mine on a Wednesday so that's definitely a day you can expect to possibly hear something from them. I'm getting antsy for them to get a move on with this whole ED process.

Called the admissions office today, but unfortunately it's not great news. I asked her when they would start sending out interview invitations for early decision and she said "Probably first week of September." She didn't sound 100% so I asked her if that was just her best guess or if it was for sure, and she said it was for sure. I said "Wow, that late? When do they start interviewing?" And she said the week after. That just doesn't sound right. First of all early september II's puts them two weeks behind from previous years. Why? It's not like the AMCAS delay is affecting ED applicants, since we are verified quicker than we can hit the submit button. Second, a weeks notice for an interview seems very short. I'm betting she doesn't know what she's talking about and just threw out a date. Anyone else wanna call tomorrow and see if the answer changes?

Called the admissions office today, but unfortunately it's not great news. I asked her when they would start sending out interview invitations for early decision and she said "Probably first week of September." She didn't sound 100% so I asked her if that was just her best guess or if it was for sure, and she said it was for sure. I said "Wow, that late? When do they start interviewing?" And she said the week after. That just doesn't sound right. First of all early september II's puts them two weeks behind from previous years. Why? It's not like the AMCAS delay is affecting ED applicants, since we are verified quicker than we can hit the submit button. Second, a weeks notice for an interview seems very short. I'm betting she doesn't know what she's talking about and just threw out a date. Anyone else wanna call tomorrow and see if the answer changes?

Just anecdotally, I was extended an interview invite with a week's notice from another school earlier this month. I agree though, the school is kind of short changing ED people. Not being able to send out applications to other schools until the end of September really hurts those who aren't selected ED. Good luck all.

I called today too. If they wait until Sept 1 to extend interviews and the interview times are within one week, the air flight fare on such short notice is going to be extreme!! I hope they consider this on a starving students income. It would be nice to have some more notice!

I called today too. If they wait until Sept 1 to extend interviews and the interview times are within one week, the air flight fare on such short notice is going to be extreme!! I hope they consider this on a starving students income. It would be nice to have some more notice!

They told you first week of september too?

As inconvenient as the short notice will be for most applicants, it does make sense that they aren't extending II's until they receive and process all the ED applications on Sept 1st. Does anyone know roughly how many people they interview for ED?

As inconvenient as the short notice will be for most applicants, it does make sense that they aren't extending II's until they receive and process all the ED applications on Sept 1st. Does anyone know roughly how many people they interview for ED?

But why would it take them until September first when traditionally it seems like they've had it done by mid-august?

Yes, unfortunately, she told me after Sept 1
I even explained the situation with making flight arrangements, and said "I guess that I have no other choice" and she said "Yes, you really don't"

Yes, unfortunately, she told me after Sept 1
I even explained the situation with making flight arrangements, and said "I guess that I have no other choice" and she said "Yes, you really don't"

I did not realize that the ED applicant deadline was Sept 1. I thought it was August 1

The latest date to apply to AMCAS is August 1, 2013.
The latest date to complete file in Admissions Office is normally September 1, 2013.

Per the website. So someone could have submitted everything on August 1, and assuming they didn't start reviewing apps for ED until they were all in, it would make sense for this to take a while.

I know we just have to suck it up and wait, but I'm really on edge now. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why it would take an extra two weeks from what we saw from years before, and unfortunately my paranoid brain just suggested that maybe they have extra ED applicants this year.

I know we just have to suck it up and wait, but I'm really on edge now. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why it would take an extra two weeks from what we saw from years before, and unfortunately my paranoid brain just suggested that maybe they have extra ED applicants this year.

Ha, I mean this in the most caring way and tone I can...you have to get a grip. Your stats are awesome, enjoy the next couple of weeks not thinking or worrying about this process.

I know someone with a 24 who got in with a 3.93. Started in 2011.

Hey about your comment, I'm currently an L1 and I have always had standardized test issues. I got in last application year with a 25 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA. I had no extracurricular activities because I was a division I swimmer in college. Anything is possible!

Has anyone gotten an II yet? In-state resident with 8/2 verified AMCAS and submitted secondary since 7/5.

Just got the verified email along with an interview invite. 2 for 1 special.

ED interviews are Sept. 9th-11th. 10-11th if you're applying rural track.

Last edited:
Interview Invite! :soexcited: Patassa, what day did you schedule?

Hey about your comment, I'm currently an L1 and I have always had standardized test issues. I got in last application year with a 25 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA. I had no extracurricular activities because I was a division I swimmer in college. Anything is possible!

Do you think someone in the opposite situation could get in? 36 MCAT, 3.5 GPA and many extracurricular activites?:)

Can someone please tell me about the interview format? Is it a one on one interview? Panel interview? Do you go to lunch or tour after? I don't know whether to plan on being at Med school for 1 hour? 4 hours? Or all day-8 hours? Any info. would help. Good luck to everyone!

Can someone please tell me about the interview format? Is it a one on one interview? Panel interview? Do you go to lunch or tour after? I don't know whether to plan on being at Med school for 1 hour? 4 hours? Or all day-8 hours? Any info. would help. Good luck to everyone!

When I called they told me from 9:15-5 pm. That's all I was told though.

When I interviewed it was a welcome to LSU 30 minute lecture and then a tour of the hospital and school followed by lunch and then came back for 3 interviews, one of them didn't have your MCAT or grades in their folder. All the interviews were one on one. One of them was a MS4. Think it was 9-4ish.

When I interviewed it was a welcome to LSU 30 minute lecture and then a tour of the hospital and school followed by lunch and then came back for 3 interviews, one of them didn't have your MCAT or grades in their folder. All the interviews were one on one. One of them was a MS4. Think it was 9-4ish.

Thanks for the info! Has anyone received an interview date confirmation email yet?

Thanks so much for all the interview information, Patassa & Kavorca. It was very helpful.

Thanks for the info! Has anyone received an interview date confirmation email yet?

Nope, should we be expecting one? Maybe it will contain the info about the interview format.

Same. I didn't have an MS4 though, just 3 faculty members. (There were actually 4 interviewers total, but not everyone in the group interviewed with the same people).

Nope, should we be expecting one? Maybe it will contain the info about the interview format.

Last year I never received an interview confirmation. I also never received any information on the format directly from the school, but I did get information from my cousin who had interviewed the previous year. When I interviewed in January, we had a little info session with Dr. Eubanks and then we took a tour and had lunch with two med students (ours were MS1s). After lunch we came back and interviewed. It was a one-on-one format and we had 3 interviews total, two with ad com members and one with a MS4. Unlike previous years, none of the interviews were blind interviews. I think we had to be there around 9 and we were out of there by 3ish.

The lady I spoke with said I'd be getting a confirmation email with the date and time and such. I guess it doesn't matter, since I have all the info I need, but I'm probably going to call back in early September just to confirm my date, because I'm paranoid like that.