2013-2014 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!!!!! Notified by phone this afternoon.

Ahhhhhh!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!! I knew you had it!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats hippiedoc! Waaaaaaaaaaah. I didn't get a phone call :( Hope that's not a bad sign :thinking:. I'm so old, and I've been playing this game for so long. Someone who is on the wait list for Shreveport is going to be very happy soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats hippiedoc! Waaaaaaaaaaah. I didn't get a phone call :( Hope that's not a bad sign :thinking:. I'm so old, and I've been playing this game for so long. Someone who is on the wait list for Shreveport is going to be very happy soon!

Thank you so much! I'm very excited. :)

I really hope you get some good news soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically if we didn't get a call then we aren't going to be getting an appearance letter in the mail?? I'm just wondering how that exactly worked.

So basically if we didn't get a call then we aren't going to be getting an appearance letter in the mail?? I'm just wondering how that exactly worked.
From what I have gathered, the only people they called to notify of acceptances are people who were holding acceptances at other schools. The calls were meant to let them know as soon as possible in order to try to get those people to go to LSUNO instead of wherever else they had already paid the deposit for. I could be mistaken though. Was anyone else called? Either way, we'll all be finding out within the next couple days or so.

Reactions: 1 users
From what I have gathered, the only people they called to notify of acceptances are people who were holding acceptances at other schools. The calls were meant to let them know as soon as possible in order to try to get those people to go to LSUNO instead of wherever else they had already paid the deposit for. I could be mistaken though. Was anyone else called? Either way, we'll all be finding out within the next couple days or so.

This has to be right. It's what I was thinking. I couldn't imagine them calling otherwise since they rarely ever call.

That seems right, but I hope that's not the case. I have an acceptance at another school, but I really would like to attend LSU.

This years Match(Mostly Completed) Better late than never.
Anesthesiology (8)
Beth Israel Deaconess
LSU New Orleans (x2)
Ochsner Clinics (New Orleans) (x2)
Tulane University (x2)
University of Alabama - Birmingham

Dermatology (7)
LSU New Orleans (x3)
Tulane University
UT Houston
University of Arkansas
Vanderbilt University

Emergency Medicine (x5)
Icahn SOM Mount Sinai (x2)
LSU New Orleans
LSU Baton Rouge
San Antonio Military Medical Center(Brooke Army)

Family Medicine (17)
Baton Rouge General (x3)
Carolinas Medical Center
East Jefferson Hospital (New Orleans)
Jackson Memorial Hospital (Miami)
LSU Lake Charles (x3)
LSU New Orleans (x2)
McLennan County (Waco, Texas)
Mountain Area Health Center(North Carolina)
UC San Francisco
University Hopsital Lafayette (x2)
University of Tennessee - St. Francis

General Surgery (6)
LSU New Orleans (x4)
San Antonio Military Medical Center(Brooke Army)
Vidant Med/ECU

Vascular Surgery Integrated
USF Tampa

Cardiothoracic Surgery
University of Southern California

Internal Medicine (30)
Barnes -Jewish Hospital
Beth Israel Deaconess
Columbia University
Duke Univeristy
Emory University
LSU Baton Rouge (x8)
LSU New Orleans (x7)
Methodist Health System - Dallas
Ochsner Clincs
University of Alabama Birmingham (x2)
University of Arkansas
University of Colorado
University Hospital Jackson, MS
University of Maryland
University of South Alabama
Virginia Commonwealth University

Internal Medicine/Family Medicine
St. Vincent Hopsital (Indianapolis)

Internal Medicine/Pediatrics (2)
LSU New Orleans
UT-Memphis

Neurology (2)
Methodist Hospital Houston
University of Colorado

Child Neurology
Vanderbilt University
Neurosurgery (3)
Case Western Medical Center
LSU New Orleans
University of Louisville

OB-GYN (10)
Duke University
LSU Baton Rouge (3)
LSU New Orleans
Oschner Clinics (New Orleans) (2)
University of Illinois
UTMB -Galveston

Orthopedic Surgery (8)
Massachusetts General Hopsital
University of Alabama Birmingham
University of Arkansas (x2)
University of New Mexico
University of North Carolina
University of South Carolina
University of Texas Southwestern-Dallas

Ophthalmology (4)
LSU New Orleans
LSU Shreveport
University Hospital - Jackson, MS (x2)

Otolaryngology (7)
LSU New Orleans (x2)
Mayo Clinics - Rochester, MN
Tulane University
Wake Forest Baptist

Pathology (4)
Emory University
LSU New Orleans
Texas A&M - Scott&White
University of Utah

Pediatrics (17)
Columbia University
Florida State University
Indiana University
LSU New Orleans (x6)
Medical University South Carolina
St. Louis Childrens Hospital
University of Alabama -Birmingham (x2)
University of California -Los Angeles
University of Colorado
University of New Mexico
Vanderbilt University

Pediatrics-Emergency Medicine
University of Arizona

Plastic Surgery - Integrated (3)
University of Washington Seattle
University of Wisconsin
Wake Forest Baptist

PM&R (5)
LSU New Orleans (x4)
University of Washington - Seattle

Psychiatry (5)
LSU - Baton Rouge
LSU - New Orleans (x4)

Radiation Oncology

Medical University of South Carolina

Radiology (10)
Columbia University
Emory University (x2)
LSU New Orleans
Oschner Clinics (New Orleans)
University of Alabama Birmingham
University of Arkansas
UT Houston
Washington University (x2)

Urology (2)

LSU New Orleans
UT Memphis

Damn, that's our second student in the past couple years going ortho at MGH if I'm not mistaken. Must've made a positive impression there. Couple more at BIDMC, UCSF, Columbia, etc. Good year. Hope your match went well :)

So they haven't sent out the letters yes and the lady told me that they were going out "the end of the month" and she wouldn't tell me if the people who got phone calls were the only people they are sending acceptance letter to of not. I wish they would just hurry up and notify us there dragging everything out way to much.

total misery this wait and likely not going to be accepted anyway. i'm hopeful but not by very much...at this point I just want it over already. and all of this misery only to do it again. time, misery, money...there is a limit.

Just spoke to admissions again. Letters went out yesterday.

Reactions: 2 users
The woman who called said, "you have been conditionally accepted to LSU New Orleans. Congratulations, your letter is in the mail."

I'm assuming that all of the letters have been sent out. If so, everyone should know by sometime next week. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Would anyone mind pming me the link to the FB page?
What's the "conditionally accepted" part about? Conditioned upon final grades or GPA??

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called them and they told me that "no letters have been sent out." This is pretty frustrating.
I just called and they said they're working on them now, and they'll go out later today. Can we get a straight answer please? Some consistency would be nice.

hippiedoc, did you ask about letters in general, or specifically your acceptance letter? Maybe they've already sent out acceptance letters to people who already got calls, but not to waitlist/rejected people yet.

What's the "conditionally accepted" part about? Conditioned upon final grades or GPA??

I called again today, because like I said in y first post, she said the letter was in the mail but I still hadn't received one. When I called this am just to check on things, I've been scared they made a mistake or it's a horrible prank, I was told letters were put in the mail yesterday. IDK if that is just for the ppl they called on Friday or what.

I think that is just something they have to say for liability sake. I'm only assuming the conditional part has something to do with drug test and background check. Not enrolled in any classes so it can't be final GPA. But again, IDK.

I just called and they said they're working on them now, and they'll go out later today. Can we get a straight answer please? Some consistency would be nice.

hippiedoc, did you ask about letters in general, or specifically your acceptance letter? Maybe they've already sent out acceptance letters to people who already got calls, but not to waitlist/rejected people yet.

I explained that I had received a call in Friday, but I'm still waiting on letter. She told me that they weren't sent out on Friday, but they were put in the mail yesterday. This could just apply to ppl they called but I'm really not sure. You would think that since it is past 05/15 they would just send them out to everyone, but that might make too much sense.

I just called and she said they are working on the letters as we speak and that the letters will be mailed out by Friday

To those of you who just got accepted, congratulations from the med students on the other side of the highway!

Room for rent in Bywater/Upper 9th Ward
I've got a room for rent for next year. You'll be sharing the house with me (Tulane MS2) and a Tulane MS1 who I haven't met yet, but I'm sure is a cool guy. There's fresh paint on the walls, the floor has just been refinished, and the bathroom was completely remodeled. Gunners welcome. If you want to party you'll need to do it out of the house. I'm still remodeling the rest of the house, so you'll need to be all right with some sawdust. Your room is finished, though. The house is a 10-15 minute drive from the med school. $400/month includes all utilities, internet, and free bananas when the trees I just planted start producing fruit. I can give a discount on the first few months if you start in June. PM me if you're interested.

I just called and she said they are working on the letters as we speak and that the letters will be mailed out by Friday
Heheheheheh, too funny. If we don't see letters by the end of NEXT week then there's a problem; if we know our fate sooner, hallelujah. The lady or ladies who are taking these "when are letters being mailed out?" phone calls are probably having a blast giving out a different answer every time.

Conditionally accepted means that if you're still in school you can't get a D, can't get arrested, and have to pass your background check.

man...sure is quiet in here :) sure hope the letters come by the weekend and they don't drag this misery out till end of next week (if they mail letters out on Friday as futuredoc0987 previously posted!). Be a doctor....hell, I'm going to NEED a doctor during this process.

Letters are officially out. My friend in Baton Rouge just got his. Best of luck to everybody. Remember, if you're reasonably applying to medical school, you've obviously done pretty well in life so far, you'll be fine for another year.

Reactions: 3 users
Did your friend get an acceptance letter? I'm wondering if rejection and "you're still on the wait list" letters have been sent too.

Letters are officially out. My friend in Baton Rouge just got his. Best of luck to everybody. Remember, if you're reasonably applying to medical school, you've obviously done pretty well in life so far, you'll be fine for another year.
"On with the show, this is it"

My understanding is this: people who were accepted received phone calls on Friday so they could attend camp tiger this week. People who did not get accepted or made the prioritized waitlist were mailed a rejection letter on 5/20. So, if you haven't received a letter, your mail is slow and it is a rejection letter or you made the prioritized waitlist.

My understanding is this: people who were accepted received phone calls on Friday so they could attend camp tiger this week. People who did not get accepted or made the prioritized waitlist were mailed a rejection letter on 5/20. So, if you haven't received a letter, your mail is slow and it is a rejection letter or you made the prioritized waitlist.
Oh well, all the hoping...praying...sleepless nights...all for naught. It's very unfortunate that their method isn't more humane. To have everyone wait and hope only for a waitlist or rejection when they tell you otherwise. It borders on cruel.

Last edited:
No letter yet. I'm in Shreveport. I really hope I get ab actual decision and not a wait list soon. If LSU doesn't take me now, I need to make plans to follow through with my backup plan.

Also rejected. My mom opened the letter while I was at work. :(

Did anyone get on the wait list?

I'm currently out of town and won't be home until Monday. It's torture waiting :(.

Everyone who got rejected needs to look into the university of Queensland -ocshner program! Sounds like a great backup plan! They are still accepting applications and it starts Jan 2015!

I still haven't gotten a letter and I live outside of Baton Rouge....

Rejected. Did anyone's rejection letter end with a sentence fragment? Mine says "Continued success in pursuing your career goals." Like...okay. What about it?

I was really surprised because I was wait listed last year until the beginning of August, and the only thing that changed between last cycle and this was moving to New Orleans and getting my masters. Good luck to everyone still waiting! Maybe since you haven't gotten a letter yet, you'll get better news!

Everyone who got rejected needs to look into the university of Queensland -ocshner program! Sounds like a great backup plan! They are still accepting applications and it starts Jan 2015!

I still haven't gotten a letter and I live outside of Baton Rouge....

I'm pretty sure a foreign medical degree makes things harder. I could be mistaken, but I think going to a DO school in the US is a much better option in terms of residencies

I'm pretty sure a foreign medical degree makes things harder. I could be mistaken, but I think going to a DO school in the US is a much better option in terms of residencies

I think that might've been an issue for the first few classes of med students. However, I heard their match list and percentage was much better this last year.

It was an option I considered. Live in Australia for the first two years and then you train your last two at Ochsner in NOLA, sounds kinda nice. So I don't think it is really considered a foreign med degree. It's not the same as say, going to the Caribbean fr med school.

I think that might've been an issue for the first few classes of med students. However, I heard their match list and percentage was much better this last year.

It was an option I considered. Live in Australia for the first two years and then you train your last two at Ochsner in NOLA, sounds kinda nice. So I don't think it is really considered a foreign med degree. It's not the same as say, going to the Caribbean fr med school.

I've heard there were issues with the program but idk what -- I think on the Queensland end. But that was a few years ago so maybe things have improved

Live in New Orleans area. Second day with no letter in mail (since people have started getting letters).
Any significance or is mail just being delivered by horseback?

Live in New Orleans area. Second day with no letter in mail (since people have started getting letters).
Any significance or is mail just being delivered by horseback?
The letters are mailed out from Baton Rouge so many who live in NOLA are the last to receive word. Mine was postmarked the 20th so you should hear something Tuesday. No mail on Monday bc of Memorial Day. Good luck!

I think it is exactly like going to the Caribbean.

I think it is exactly like going to the Caribbean.
I don't recommend going overseas for medical school but it all depends on what you want to do. I have a friend who went to medical school in Poland. She did really well on her licensing exams and she is now a family medicine resident at Penn. State Hershey. I think most of the people who consider overseas medical schools are probably too young to give up like that. Delay gratification a little longer, and you'll probably have a better chance of landing a competitive residency. However, if family medicine is your thing, maybe you should consider it.

Last edited:
Rejected. Did anyone's rejection letter end with a sentence fragment? Mine says "Continued success in pursuing your career goals." Like...okay. What about it?
Yes, user, "going2breakdown" I believe that person's letter ended that way.