2013-2014 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Poll: anyone waiting a non-science major?
Yo! However, I have 3 solid years of postbacc. science coursework plus the science coursework I did while getting my major though.

Members don't see this ad.

So I completed my FAFSA in early February and just got an email from financial aid saying they've received the FAFSA and have placed me in line for processing. The email also says to fill out additional requirements (MPN, counseling) which I did a couple days ago.
Has anyone else received this email? I'm just concerned that I filled out my FAFSA early but they just now put me in line, as I'm completely relying on loans for school.

Also, I had emailed them regarding the MPN and they said to go ahead and fill it out if you plan on accepting the full reward, which is about 40,000 for 1st years.

Same for me!

So I completed my FAFSA in early February and just got an email from financial aid saying they've received the FAFSA and have placed me in line for processing. The email also says to fill out additional requirements (MPN, counseling) which I did a couple days ago.
Has anyone else received this email? I'm just concerned that I filled out my FAFSA early but they just now put me in line, as I'm completely relying on loans for school.

Also, I had emailed them regarding the MPN and they said to go ahead and fill it out if you plan on accepting the full reward, which is about 40,000 for 1st years.

Same goes for me -- I'm 100% relying on loans for school and living expenses. No outside help here! My friend is an L2 and said that most people only have like $10-12K to live off of after tuition, health insurance, books, etc. She said if that's not enough to apply for a grad PLUS loan, which I think she means Direct PLUS loan. Should I do that now or wait and see what I get from sub and unsub Stafford loans? How much can you get from direct PLUs loans? I read one place that it doesn't have a maximum and others where it's the cost of tuition minus other aid or something? Can anybody drop any knowledge on this? Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Same goes for me -- I'm 100% relying on loans for school and living expenses. No outside help here! My friend is an L2 and said that most people only have like $10-12K to live off of after tuition, health insurance, books, etc. She said if that's not enough to apply for a grad PLUS loan, which I think she means Direct PLUS loan. Should I do that now or wait and see what I get from sub and unsub Stafford loans? How much can you get from direct PLUs loans? I read one place that it doesn't have a maximum and others where it's the cost of tuition minus other aid or something? Can anybody drop any knowledge on this? Lol

LSU is currently showing cost of living for off-campus independent student to be $17,829 for the 9 months that comprise the academic year. Note that this is AFTER books, insurance, etc. According the the financial aid website, they have been successful in getting every previous student the aid they need to attend. We are allowed to borrow up to the full amount to cover tuition, living expenses, books, insurance, and even our new computer. That totals around $48,000 for our first year. The regular loans aren't enough to cover that dollar amount so alternative sources must be used. The PLUS loans are the most popular (and cheapest) secondary loan.

Reactions: 1 user
LSU is currently showing cost of living for off-campus independent student to be $17,829 for the 9 months that comprise the academic year. Note that this is AFTER books, insurance, etc. According the the financial aid website, they have been successful in getting every previous student the aid they need to attend. We are allowed to borrow up to the full amount to cover tuition, living expenses, books, insurance, and even our new computer. That totals around $48,000 for our first year. The regular loans aren't enough to cover that dollar amount so alternative sources must be used. The PLUS loans are the most popular (and cheapest) secondary loan.

Thank you!! So it's good that I applied for one of those already? I'm just trying to make sure i don't miss any deadlines, etc

I have a few questions. So when do y'all think we should hear something? Are we looking for letters or emails?

And anyone who is in the FB group, could you let us know how many spots are left?

I have a few questions. So when do y'all think we should hear something? Are we looking for letters or emails?

And anyone who is in the FB group, could you let us know how many spots are left?

There are currently 165 members in the FB group.

Don't dwell on the Facebook thing. I know a girl who joined the facebook group and dropped out of the group later because she decided to go to the University of Mississippi's school of medicine. The number of people on their Facebook page is not going to tell you anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

We'll likely hear something around May 20th. If it's like last year, it might possibly be a little earlier if you get a rejection letter. I'm not sure about the people who get accepted, but you'll get notified of placement on the prioritized alternate list or rejection by snail mail.

Someone I know got an email on the 28th of May and got in off the wait list. I tried posting it but, it won't let me post up anything without a url. Anyway, if you're curious it reads:
May 28 2013, 11:15 am
Congratulations! You have been taken of the Alternate List and into the entering class of 2013 at LSU school of medicine in New Orleans. The official letter offer will be mailed to you today. Please send one original copy and return with your deposit of $100 to hold your place in class. Watch for future emails with information for registration and orientation.
Regards,
"Coordinator of admissions"
It's ridiculous how much people post on facebook...
Anyway, my point is: there is still plenty of waiting to come.

Last edited:
Someone I know got an email on the 28th of May and got in off the wait list. I tried posting it but, it won't let me post up anything without a url. Anyway, if you're curious it reads:
May 28 2013, 11:15 am
Congratulations! You have been taken of the Alternate List and into the entering class of 2013 at LSU school of medicine in New Orleans. The official letter offer will be mailed to you today. Please send one original copy and return with your deposit of $100 to hold your place in class. Watch for future emails with information for registration and orientation.
Regards,
"Coordinator of admissions"
It's ridiculous how much people post on facebook...
Anyway, my point is: there is still plenty of waiting to come.

Cool! But didn't ppl get email acceptances after the last advocacy meeting on May 1st of last year?

Cool! But didn't ppl get email acceptances after the last advocacy meeting on May 1st of last year?
I think you're right. I remember reading somewhere that those who were on other waitlists or who had other acceptances or something got emails. I guess they want to move quickly on those applicants in case they're accepted elsewhere, and email is the best way to do that. (Although I don't understand why the can't do that for everyone; it'd be so much easier).

I am also completely relying on loans. I haven't applied for direct plus loans, but I guess I should look into it. I'm a little frustrated because I went in to the financial aid office in January to discuss how to pay for medical school, and all I was told was to fill out the FAFSA. No one mentioned filling out the other 2 things or anything like that.
Hopefully we hear something soon and find out exactly what our expenses for school are!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am about to burst! Has anyone received news?

LISTEN UP PEOPLE:

Admissions Committee DID NOT offer ANYONE after meetings on April 11 and May 1.

Everyone got a deferral letter- no one was offered acceptance since either of those meetings.

In conclusion, save yourself the time and worry because you will not be receiving an acceptance letter this week.

LISTEN UP PEOPLE:

Everyone got a deferral letter- no one was offered acceptance since either of those meetings.

In conclusion, save yourself the time and worry because you will not be receiving an acceptance letter this week.

where's your proof?

LISTEN UP PEOPLE:

I just withdrew my spot so surely someone will get an acceptance letter

I just withdrew my spot so surely someone will get an acceptance letter

Yea obviously that opens up a spot. I'm telling people they didnt offer anyone spots these last two meetings so dont freak out when you dont get an acceptance letter this week.

Yeah right they don't interview for the waitlist. Smh
This is ridiculous. Was my interview even worth anything?

I think they are still holding out for those people who can boost the school's stats. That's what this is all about. People are p'od about losing their deposits too. Their attitude is mostly, "I don't care about telling them anything now. They've taken my money." Don't loose hope. There aren't a lot of people who have extraordinary MCAT scores. For example, meeting someone with a 42+ is uncommon and you can be sure they are trying to hold on to those people. Also, it's a huge commitment, when Katrina hit, do you think people would have chosen to come here over a nice, dry, and "hurricane-less" state? Didn't some tornado hit Mississippi or something? Have faith that things will work out.

Last edited:
I think they are still holding out for those people who can boost the school's stats. That's what this is all about. People are p'od about losing their deposits too. Their attitude is mostly, "I don't care about telling them anything now. They've taken my money." Don't loose hope. There aren't a lot of people who have extraordinary MCAT scores. For example, meeting someone with a 42+ is uncommon and you can be sure they are trying to hold on to those people. Also, it's a huge commitment, when Katrina hit, do you think people would have chosen to come here over a nice, dry, and "hurricane-less" state? Didn't some tornado hit Mississippi or something? Have faith that things will work out.

As an aside, I'd like to recognize your whimsical take on the whole application process. Your posts always make for quality reading.

where's your proof?
At the May 1st meeting, they spent their time rating/rescoring everyone that was NFA'd. It will take at least a week to recalculate those scores (which is this week). At a minimum, no one should get a letter or email this week. Next Thursday is the 15th, when many of those already accepted will say 'yea or nay' or lose their deposit. Some of those folks will be willing to lose their deposit if they should be accepted at a school of their preference should they get off the wait list after May 15. So, there are two factors, those who say 'yea or nay', and a couple who don't say because they are waiting/hoping they're taken off the wait list at their preferred choice. As it stands now, technically speaking, all spots have been given out. But those two previously mentioned options open up spots.

It is very unlikely that anyone will hear anything before the 15th of May. After that date, perhaps some preferred applicants will hear by email (or not). But most will hear by letter which folks could reasonably expect to start looking for around the 20th of May.

I don't know the timing of this to be fact, it just makes logical sense. So people, don't make yourself crazy waiting for the next 12 days. Start making yourself crazy after that :)

Last edited:
Yea obviously that opens up a spot. I'm telling people they didnt offer anyone spots these last two meetings so dont freak out when you dont get an acceptance letter this week.
Thanks B0ss. I know what you are saying to be true and am glad to have confirmation of same.

I know they force us to buy a computer at the beginning of the year. Does anyone have an idea what the specs are going to be for next year? Or what they were for last year? Are we allowed to install third party stuff on them? Can I dual boot linux (I'll be really impressed if anyone on this forum can answer this one)?

I am in dire need of a new machine, but I don't want to end up buying two laptops if this one will do what I need.
Nope, you cannot dual boot/install linux or other third party software. they lock the laptops down hard from my understanding. Don't know the specs but know someone that has one and doesn't like it very much (full disclosure - that person is a Mac fan). :)

Thanks B0ss. I know what you are saying to be true and am glad to have confirmation of same.
So, to clarify, will acceptances (essentially ppl taken off the waitlist) be through email? And rejection or continued waitlist be through snail mail? Just curious...

So, to clarify, will acceptances (essentially ppl taken off the waitlist) be through email? And rejection or continued waitlist be through snail mail? Just curious...
No one knows for certain. According to rumor/posts from previous year's threads, some people received emails last year. To be safe, you should monitor your SPAM folder to be sure. It can change from year to year so who knows for sure what's going to happen this year...I would expect, only the admissions committee.

Acceptances come by snail mail and email, apparently. It seems (and this is just speculation) that those who are notified of their acceptances by email are those whom LSU is trying to get in touch with quickly; i.e., those who probably have acceptances elsewhere, which LSU knows about.

I keep dreaming about receiving letters. It gets weirder every time. Last night the letters arrived in those weird eggs that pantyhose come in. I wish they would tell us already.

I keep dreaming about receiving letters. It gets weirder every time. Last night the letters arrived in those weird eggs that pantyhose come in. I wish they would tell us already.
Well then. Was the news good or bad?

Well then. Was the news good or bad?
Haha It's been both. Last night it was actually neither. Last night they (the letters in pantyhose eggs) all arrived in a sharps box that I had to reach into, and there was a roster that read who had received a letter, but I woke up before anyone got to my name. Clearly the waiting is getting to me. I mean, reaching into a sharps box for acceptance to medical school? What is this, a bad episode of Survivor?

Has anyone set up their school account? I just looked at the camp tiger survival guide the L1 rep sent out and it said to activate our email account to get info on BLS but I haven't figured out how.

Wondering the same. I haven't heard a peep except for Camp Tiger and Pre-Matriculation Program emails.

Same as y'all ... I received an email the other day about orientation days being Aug 6-8.. Other than that, static!

tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...

This years Match(Mostly Completed) Better late than never.
Anesthesiology (8)
Beth Israel Deaconess
LSU New Orleans (x2)
Ochsner Clinics (New Orleans) (x2)
Tulane University (x2)
University of Alabama - Birmingham

Dermatology (7)
LSU New Orleans (x3)
Tulane University
UT Houston
University of Arkansas
Vanderbilt University

Emergency Medicine (x5)
Icahn SOM Mount Sinai (x2)
LSU New Orleans
LSU Baton Rouge
San Antonio Military Medical Center(Brooke Army)

Family Medicine (17)
Baton Rouge General (x3)
Carolinas Medical Center
East Jefferson Hospital (New Orleans)
Jackson Memorial Hospital (Miami)
LSU Lake Charles (x3)
LSU New Orleans (x2)
McLennan County (Waco, Texas)
Mountain Area Health Center(North Carolina)
UC San Francisco
University Hopsital Lafayette (x2)
University of Tennessee - St. Francis

General Surgery (6)
LSU New Orleans (x4)
San Antonio Military Medical Center(Brooke Army)
Vidant Med/ECU

Vascular Surgery Integrated
USF Tampa

Cardiothoracic Surgery
University of Southern California

Internal Medicine (30)
Barnes -Jewish Hospital
Beth Israel Deaconess
Columbia University
Duke Univeristy
Emory University
LSU Baton Rouge (x8)
LSU New Orleans (x7)
Methodist Health System - Dallas
Ochsner Clincs
University of Alabama Birmingham (x2)
University of Arkansas
University of Colorado
University Hospital Jackson, MS
University of Maryland
University of South Alabama
Virginia Commonwealth University

Internal Medicine/Family Medicine
St. Vincent Hopsital (Indianapolis)

Internal Medicine/Pediatrics (2)
LSU New Orleans
UT-Memphis

Neurology (2)
Methodist Hospital Houston
University of Colorado

Child Neurology
Vanderbilt University

Neurosurgery (3)

Case Western Medical Center
LSU New Orleans
University of Louisville

OB-GYN (10)
Duke University
LSU Baton Rouge (3)
LSU New Orleans
Oschner Clinics (New Orleans) (2)
University of Illinois
UTMB -Galveston

Orthopedic Surgery (8)
Massachusetts General Hopsital
University of Alabama Birmingham
University of Arkansas (x2)
University of New Mexico
University of North Carolina
University of South Carolina
University of Texas Southwestern-Dallas

Ophthalmology (4)
LSU New Orleans
LSU Shreveport
University Hospital - Jackson, MS (x2)

Otolaryngology (7)
LSU New Orleans (x2)
Mayo Clinics - Rochester, MN
Tulane University
Wake Forest Baptist

Pathology (4)
Emory University
LSU New Orleans
Texas A&M - Scott&White
University of Utah

Pediatrics (17)
Columbia University
Florida State University
Indiana University
LSU New Orleans (x6)
Medical University South Carolina
St. Louis Childrens Hospital
University of Alabama -Birmingham (x2)
University of California -Los Angeles
University of Colorado
University of New Mexico
Vanderbilt University

Pediatrics-Emergency Medicine
University of Arizona

Plastic Surgery - Integrated (3)
University of Washington Seattle
University of Wisconsin
Wake Forest Baptist

PM&R (5)
LSU New Orleans (x4)
University of Washington - Seattle

Psychiatry (5)
LSU - Baton Rouge
LSU - New Orleans (x4)

Radiation Oncology

Medical University of South Carolina

Radiology (10)
Columbia University
Emory University (x2)
LSU New Orleans
Oschner Clinics (New Orleans)
University of Alabama Birmingham
University of Arkansas
UT Houston
Washington University (x2)

Urology (2)

LSU New Orleans
UT Memphis

Reactions: 4 users
Wow! It looks like LSU really did well this year.

Last edited:
In a very difficult decision, a family member decided late tonight to go out of state instead of LSU-New Orleans. He is withdrawing tomorrow and I hope that one of the wait listed posters here on SDN gets that spot. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
In a very difficult decision, a family member decided late tonight to go out of state instead of LSU-New Orleans. He is withdrawing tomorrow and I hope that one of the wait listed posters here on SDN gets that spot. Good luck!
Thank you for the information and best of luck on your family member's journey!!

The process has been incredibly nerve wracking and it was incredibly thoughtful of you to let us know. Thanks :) That goes for Nate88 too!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received anything from financial aid yet? I haven't heard anything and am beginning to worry.

ACCEPTED!!!!! Notified by phone this afternoon.

Reactions: 13 users
Still nothing....
I don't know if I should call them myself in the next few days or what.

Anyone else hear anything? Any rejections?
I wouldn't worry about not hearing anything yet. I'm surprised anyone has. Give it another couple of days and I'm sure you'll hear something.

Still nothing....
I don't know if I should call them myself in the next few days or what.

Anyone else hear anything? Any rejections?

The woman who called said, "you have been conditionally accepted to LSU New Orleans. Congratulations, your letter is in the mail."

I'm assuming that all of the letters have been sent out. If so, everyone should know by sometime next week. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Would anyone mind pming me the link to the FB page?