2013-2014 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have it on good faith that the much anticipated Facebook group will be created next week sometime, or at least a push will be made for it to be created next week.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have it on good faith that the much anticipated Facebook group will be created next week sometime, or at least a push will be made for it to be created next week.

I am so ready to meet some fellow nerds.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hey sorry to be a bother, and this is probably not the place to ask but I have a quick question. I know they take the 32 hour rule at NO, but does it specifically have to be a post bacc? I was thinking of tacking on another major (biology related, so the classes would all be upper level sciences) and gain the 32 credit hours that way. I have a 33 MCAT and feel good about my application besides the clearly low uGPA (its been an upward trend).

hey sorry to be a bother, and this is probably not the place to ask but I have a quick question. I know they take the 32 hour rule at NO, but does it specifically have to be a post bacc? I was thinking of tacking on another major (biology related, so the classes would all be upper level sciences) and gain the 32 credit hours that way. I have a 33 MCAT and feel good about my application besides the clearly low uGPA (its been an upward trend).

Unless someone has been told differently, it's post-bacc. science credit.

Email from my big buddy today and Certiphi background check yesterday. Nice to feel like the process is moving along. Still waiting on decisions from a few schools but i'm almost positive I'm gonna matriculate here.

Does anyone know when the next admissions committee meeting is?

Does anyone know if they're sending out more IIs?

Would they include tomorrow's interviews at Friday's meeting or do they usually have a backlog of files to review?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes they are for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. Haven't got an interview yet unfortunately and I was really hoping to have that under the belt by now.

Hello everybody!! I just recently interviewed here, so I decided I should endure the wait with you guys. Good luck everybody!

Interviewed here last week! They're meeting on Friday (January 24) and sending letters out the following week, and I think the first Advocacy meeting is February 7, but I'm not positive.

Hey guys, I have a very remedial question, but you all are my future classmates so I figured I'd ask here!

On FAFSA, for the colleges section we designate the schools we want our FAFSA sent to correct? I'm a non-trad and it's been a few years since I've done one of these.

Thanks so much!

Yeah, it'll ask for the school code. I don't remember it off hand but at medschool.lsuhsc.edu it tells what it is under the financial aid section

What's the difference between adcom meetings and advocacy meetings?

Adcom meetings are general meetings of the admissions committee. At these meetings, they discuss (among other things) recent interviews. A small number of applicants are offered acceptance following adcom meetings, but most are either rejected or waitlisted. When an applicant is waitlisted, one of the people who interviewed them volunteers to be their advocate. At advocacy meetings, the fates of the waitlisted applicants are discussed, with each applicant's interviewer acting as their advocate. Following each advocacy meeting, there will be a large flux of applicants from waitlist to accepted status.

Adcom meetings are general meetings of the admissions committee. At these meetings, they discuss (among other things) recent interviews. A small number of applicants are offered acceptance following adcom meetings, but most are either rejected or waitlisted. When an applicant is waitlisted, one of the people who interviewed them volunteers to be their advocate. At advocacy meetings, the fates of the waitlisted applicants are discussed, with each applicant's interviewer acting as their advocate. Following each advocacy meeting, there will be a large flux of applicants from waitlist to accepted status.

K thanks! So when do they discuss/how do they decide who to interview next? Or is there no meeting for that?

Wondering if admissions actually met or not on last Friday given that many public offices were closed due to ice rain...?

Wondering if admissions actually met or not on last Friday given that many public offices were closed due to ice rain...?
I heard LSU closed last Friday (at least the campus in BR did) so the advocacy Mtng might have gotten pushed to today.

I heard LSU closed last Friday (at least the campus in BR did) so the advocacy Mtng might have gotten pushed to today.

Now they will be closed until the end of the week, due to the inclement weather.

Now they will be closed until the end of the week, due to the inclement weather.
Aw man, dealing with sub-zero temperatures in the Midwest right now I would LOVE some "inclement weather" in LA :rofl:

Guess I won't be checking my mail like a crazy person. Where did you get this information from?
I teach so I have been checking local school closings on the news obsessively. It was reported on WWL and nola.com that LSUHSC would be closed thru Wednesday, possibly Thursday.

I teach so I have been checking local school closings on the news obsessively. It was reported on WWL and nola.com that LSUHSC would be closed thru Wednesday, possibly Thursday.

Thanks! I just called the Admissions Office and she said they met on Friday so we should still be expecting letters... aaaaaahh

Thanks! I just called the Admissions Office and she said they met on Friday so we should still be expecting letters... aaaaaahh
Ahhhhhh thanks for calling -- I was going to ask if someone wanted to do it! Haha! Did she say when they are going out by chance?

was that meeting a regular meeting or the advocacy meeting?

Dr. Eubanks told us it was a regular meeting on Friday the 24th, and that the next advocacy meeting would be in February (but I don't remember the date for the advocacy meeting).

Ahhhhhh thanks for calling -- I was going to ask if someone wanted to do it! Haha! Did she say when they are going out by chance?
No problem! I now realize my mistake was that I didn't ask if they sent out the letters yet, I asked should we be expecting letters this week. She said yes we should... Anyone want to make an executive decision on what that means? Or we can call back. I didn't leave my name so she doesn't get annoyed with me and shred my application haha

I just called them-bet they love the phone ringing nonstop today haha. She told me they are working on letters now and will send out tomorrow or Monday. Have a good weekend in the meantime :)

Reactions: 2 users
I just called them-bet they love the phone ringing nonstop today haha. She told me they are working on letters now and will send out tomorrow or Monday. Have a good weekend in the meantime :)

Thanks for that info! just found out that our mailman mixed up everybody's mail this morning, and I was getting ready to freak out

Is anyone else getting the email about "forwarding a transcript" to complete the acceptance? What do they want exactly? Official, sealed, sent from the school? Official, sent from us? Unofficial PDF? As usual the front desk is not being very descriptive or clear to me.

I think you are supposed to get your school to mail an official transcript. I know they told me to keep my file updated and after the semester was over to get the transcript to the admissions office. They are open for about 12 more minutes...why not just call admissions?
LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans
Student Admissions
1901 Perdido Street
Box P3-4
New Orleans, LA 70112
(504) 568-6262

They are open for about 12 more minutes...why not just call admissions?

As much as admissions is probably loving answering the 50 (give or take) unnecessary calls a day they are getting asking them "when's the next meeting, where are the letters, how long does mail take to get to X, etc?" I am trying to give them a break so they can actually do their jobs. I figured plenty of people were getting the same email and would know the answer. That's why I asked it here.

Last edited:
I got it as well, I figure they'll want an official transcript from the school so I'm gonna fax my school's registrar the release later today or tomorrow.

Very surprised to receive an II today - complete all the way back in June. Also, I just had my application for LA residency declined, so I figured that was the nail in the coffin for my app. 2.68 uGPA/4.0 gGPA/39. Any tips for the interview? I've been in Nola for almost 2 years now, but most of my experience has been with Tulane rather than LSU.

Very surprised to receive an II today - complete all the way back in June. Also, I just had my application for LA residency declined, so I figured that was the nail in the coffin for my app. 2.68 uGPA/4.0 gGPA/39. Any tips for the interview? I've been in Nola for almost 2 years now, but most of my experience has been with Tulane rather than LSU.

Have a very good and honest explaination for your uGPA, you will more than likely be asked about it.
Know "why medicine", "why LSU-SOM", "what does professional mean".
Enjoy the process, some of the interviewers are remarkable people.
Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

For transcripts, I just electronically sent mine from myLSU, and selected LSUHSC - New Orleans general admissions as the recipient. For another university I went to, I had it mailed to the office of admissions address posted on the website.

For transcripts, I just electronically sent mine from myLSU, and selected LSUHSC - New Orleans general admissions as the recipient. For another university I went to, I had it mailed to the office of admissions address posted on the website.

Thanks, Birds.

Acceptance letter came today- I am in Baton Rouge and the letter is postmarked 1/30. Looking forward to working with you.

Nothing came today for me. I interviewed on the 14th.