2012-2013 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
adCOM week!!!! good luck everyone :)

Personal request for those who have been accepted and know that they aren't going…If you could withdraw your acceptance to open up some spots for us, then you would just be so awesome :D

Withdrew my acceptance this morning. Good luck to those in review!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who knows they're not going, can you please withdraw your acceptance for us :D
I would love you forever :)

Just withdrew my acceptance. Hope one of you guys gets my spot!

Hey everyone...I recently have been accepted to UIC COM and I am really excited about this opportunity....I was placed at the Chicago site so I am pumped about that. However, I am a little concerned about the tuition though......Im a OOS resident so it very very expensive for me.....but at the same time, this is one of my top choice schools and I am trying to narrow it down.......do OOS people at UIC receive scholarship money???? Have any of you accepted students receive scholarship information so far???...or do they generally wait to give out that information??? I would really appreciate some help with this matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently withdrew but can give you my two cents. I was also OOS and have been working awhile but I don't have too many assets. My financial aid from UIC was simple: 40k in federal unsubsidized loans per year, and almost 60k in grad plus to cover the rest of COA. No scholarship for me but obviously individual situations are different. I ultimately withdrew because of these financial factors. But good luck!!! And congrats! This is a great school!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Hey everyone...I recently have been accepted to UIC COM and I am really excited about this opportunity....I was placed at the Chicago site so I am pumped about that. However, I am a little concerned about the tuition though......Im a OOS resident so it very very expensive for me.....but at the same time, this is one of my top choice schools and I am trying to narrow it down.......do OOS people at UIC receive scholarship money???? Have any of you accepted students receive scholarship information so far???...or do they generally wait to give out that information??? I would really appreciate some help with this matter.

Im OOS as well. If i do not qualify for one of their tuition remission waivers I'm withdrawing. It's sad and I really liked the school, but it's financially unneccesary to spenf that much for a US medical education if you have other acceptances. My faculty interviewer even bought up that the tuition is too hight for OOS students.

How do you know if you qualify/apply for their tuition remission programs?? Also When does that information come out???/

Im OOS as well. If i do not qualify for one of their tuition remission waivers I'm withdrawing. It's sad and I really liked the school, but it's financially unneccesary to spenf that much for a US medical education if you have other acceptances. My faculty interviewer even bought up that the tuition is too hight for OOS students.
How do you know if you qualify/apply for their tuition remission programs?? Also When does that information come out???/

Going to second look. This is a casual day right? Street clothes okay?

Well, I'll be going slightly above street clothes level. Mostly because my notion of street clothes is the first ****ty t-shirt I grab from my closet.

Well, I'll be going slightly above street clothes level. Mostly because my notion of street clothes is the first ****ty t-shirt I grab from my closet.

Supposed to be business casual I think?

Going to Second Look day as well. It looks like a casual day from the emails!

btw guys ... did you receive formal invitations? And also ... did we need to reserve a spot by replying to invitation email??

Going to Second Look day as well. It looks like a casual day from the emails!

btw guys ... did you receive formal invitations? And also ... did we need to reserve a spot by replying to invitation email??

The invitation email was the only invitation. It did say to RSVP by April 12th - you may want to email Linda Singleton to make sure you can still reserve a spot.

Hello Friends. It may be a bit early for this type of question. How do we register for our M1 classes? Does the university give us a schedule or do we make our own schedule just like we did in our undergrad? Any ideas??

Thanks! I just emailed her. I hope I can still join you guys on Friday! ;)

You should be fine. I think the email said you only had to RSVP if you were bringing someone.

Edit: looks like there were two emails about Second Look day. One with the agenda that doesn't mention RSVPing, and another that is just the invitation that DOES mention RSVPing. So...I just email Linda Singleton too lol. I doubt it'll be a problem.

Last edited:
You should be fine. I think the email said you only had to RSVP if you were bringing someone.

Edit: looks like there were two emails about Second Look day. One with the agenda that doesn't mention RSVPing, and another that is just the invitation that DOES mention RSVPing. So...I just email Linda Singleton too lol. I doubt it'll be a problem.

Hey Blaughable. Thanks for your input my friend. I really want to go tomorrow, but I still haven't received any reply from Ms. Singleton yet. So I am not sure if I should come or not. Lol. But lets see ... hopefully she will reply very soon!

Btw ... did you get any reply from her? I hope not. Aah... jk. ;)

She replied to me about an hour after sending it. This was like two weeks ago though.

I emailed her just yesterday. The problem is that I was abroad for last three months, and I checked the invitation email just yesterday. They actually sent out 3 invitation emails, but only in one email they mentioned about RSVPing before April 12th. But lets see now ... UIC is my top choice and thats the school I want to attend. Tomorrow is an opportunity to meet good people like you and make some lifelong friends! So I really dont want to miss it! :)

Is the committee meeting today?

It is the third Thursday of the month but you never know. They could have delayed it because "Second Look" day is tomorrow or it could have been moved because of the flooding. I'm hoping they are meeting today but I'm not counting on it.

Hey Blaughable. Thanks for your input my friend. I really want to go tomorrow, but I still haven't received any reply from Ms. Singleton yet. So I am not sure if I should come or not. Lol. But lets see ... hopefully she will reply very soon!

Btw ... did you get any reply from her? I hope not. Aah... jk. ;)

Haha, no response yet but I think I'm going regardless if I get a response. :naughty:

I emailed her just yesterday. The problem is that I was abroad for last three months, and I checked the invitation email just yesterday. They actually sent out 3 invitation emails, but only in one email they mentioned about RSVPing before April 12th. But lets see now ... UIC is my top choice and thats the school I want to attend. Tomorrow is an opportunity to meet good people like you and make some lifelong friends! So I really dont want to miss it! :)

If you live in the area, you can try showing up and if there are still spots available, you could likely get one of those. It's a public school, anyone is allowed in our buildings during business hours.

Hello Friends. It may be a bit early for this type of question. How do we register for our M1 classes? Does the university give us a schedule or do we make our own schedule just like we did in our undergrad? Any ideas??

Every M1 has the same classes with the exception of those who "decompress" (i.e. do their first year over two years because they are raising children, or have another approved reason).

http://www.medicine.uic.edu/curriculummaps

Regarding OOS students: Consider speaking with the admissions office about scholarships. Not every OOS person is given scholarships. I'm an M1 OOS with 0 scholarships. I've decided I'm going to repay with the 10 year forgivness program and the income-contingent repayment programs. I'd recommend reading through a document that AAMC published "Education Debt Manager" https://www.aamc.org/download/48764/data/debtmanager.pdf

After reading that, I didn't worry so much about debt. That should calm your fears, there are a lot of programs that people don't know about.

Yup, it was $100.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to receive the campus assignment after mailing the preference card in? I'm anxious because if I don't get the Chicago track, I'll end up going to Rosalind Franklin instead. If I go to Rosalind Franklin, I can still live at home and not take out additional loans for housing. If I get UIC's UPR track, then I will have to take out additional loans to cover the cost of living.

What do you guys think???

--------------------------------------------------------------------- ACCEPTED (x 2) Class of 2017---------------------------------------------------------------------
When thinking about living at home, consider how that will impact your ability to concentrate, on school. If you only half get along with those who are living at home, that could become exacerbated in a higher-stress situation like medical school.

I have a few of questions about the three campuses:
1) on a scale of 0-2 how would you rate mentorship at Chicago, Peoria, and Rockford? 2 being the highest
2) is there a lot of early patient interaction in preclinical years?
3) are there any small group sessions? If so how often?
4) is there a simulation lab that is utilized by students as well as residents?
5) does anyone have a reason that they would choose Rockford over the other campuses?
6) a decent amount of the current students I interacted with during my interview came across considerably arrogant... Of course I'll find that at any school, but I've interviewed at schools in all tiers - I witnessed the most arrogance and least humility at UI. Can anyone comment on that please?
1) on a scale of 0-2 how would you rate mentorship at Chicago, Peoria, and Rockford? 2 being the highest
2) is there a lot of early patient interaction in preclinical years?
3) are there any small group sessions? If so how often?
4) is there a simulation lab that is utilized by students as well as residents?
5) does anyone have a reason that they would choose Rockford over the other campuses?
6) a decent amount of the current students I interacted with during my interview came across considerably arrogant... Of course I'll find that at any school, but I've interviewed at schools in all tiers - I witnessed the most arrogance and least humility at UI. Can anyone comment on that please?

ANSWERS FOR CHICAGO CAMPUS...
1. Hard for anyone to say, nobody goes to all three locations. I can tell you that at Chicago there is a lot of access to physicians.
2. There is as much patient interaction as you'd like at the Chicago campus. We are all paired up with a physician and follow them for a minimum of 6 visits in the m1 year and a max of as many as we would like. Additionally, you can choose a resident from any specialty to follow, for those that want to explore specialties early.
3. The bulk of the material is taught in lecture. Anatomy and Essentials of Clinical Med are heavy on small group.
4. The simulation lab is top notch. It's used by everyone. We have dedicated time during workshops to practice skills. I always leave early, so, there's plenty to time. Nobody is rushing you out of there ever at the Chicago campus.
5. I don't know.
6. I adore my classmates, I'm sorry that some people rubbed you the wrong way. It's a large class, so, you'll find likeminded folks. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised at how personable every has been to me.

Did anyone get a decision made status change yet?
I keep refreshing and nothing yet. Hoping and praying for it!!
Good luck to everyone waiting :)

ANSWERS FOR CHICAGO CAMPUS...
1. Hard for anyone to say, nobody goes to all three locations. I can tell you that at Chicago there is a lot of access to physicians.
2. There is as much patient interaction as you'd like at the Chicago campus. We are all paired up with a physician and follow them for a minimum of 6 visits in the m1 year and a max of as many as we would like. Additionally, you can choose a resident from any specialty to follow, for those that want to explore specialties early.
3. The bulk of the material is taught in lecture. Anatomy and Essentials of Clinical Med are heavy on small group.
4. The simulation lab is top notch. It's used by everyone. We have dedicated time during workshops to practice skills. I always leave early, so, there's plenty to time. Nobody is rushing you out of there ever at the Chicago campus.
5. I don't know.
6. I adore my classmates, I'm sorry that some people rubbed you the wrong way. It's a large class, so, you'll find likeminded folks. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised at how personable every has been to me.

What about research opportunities during the year, are there programs?

What about research opportunities during the year, are there programs?
In terms of summer research:

1. It's easy to get a position in a lab, or to get a position in clinical research at the Chicago Campus (I'm at that campus and can only tell you about that). That position may or may not be paid.

2. Research grants: the main program through which people get research grants from UIC is the Craig Fellowship:http://www.medicine.uic.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=515172&pageId=3749036

There are a number of sessions dedicated to figuring out which faculty members to approach, and how to best construct a plan for a research project. As a basic timeline, that grant is due in late Feb. So, students were thinking about this in January. There are also other grants out there beyond UIC. I applied for a research grant through the Gold Foundation, to do community-based research. Community based research opportunities are harder to find but they are out there. We have a huge School of Public Health and their faculty have worked with students interested in community or population-based work.

Remember not all research is in a lab. There are people working on chart reviews, surgical stuff, and working directly with patients on clinical trails. So, If you're willing to pass on the grant money, you'll have many options to choose from. If you absolutely need the grant money for the summer, then you will have to work harder at it.

Global Health research requires more time to prepare. Often you need to jump on an existing project. You can look into faculty from GMed or School of Public Health.

Has there ever been a status change on a Friday? Or is it usually Thursday night?

if anyone needs a place to stay Friday night after second look. Message me. I'll forward your request to the class. But please include your phone number so we don't have to send endless messages.

So I'm guessing that there was no admissions meeting today because of:
A) the insane flooding
B) Too busy bc of second look day tomorrow

Or they could have met but the admissions office isnt updating bc of the same reasons

Haha, no response yet but I think I'm going regardless if I get a response. :naughty:

Haha. I am thinking about doing the same thing. Hopefully they will welcome both of us with open arms. Lol. ;)

If you live in the area, you can try showing up and if there are still spots available, you could likely get one of those. It's a public school, anyone is allowed in our buildings during business hours.

Sounds good. Thats what I am planning to do. Hopefully they will have some spots available for students like me and Blaughable.

Every M1 has the same classes with the exception of those who "decompress" (i.e. do their first year over two years because they are raising children, or have another approved reason).

http://www.medicine.uic.edu/curriculummaps

Thanks for your reply my friend. I really appreciate it. So class scheduling will be different than undergrad school. ... I still have some qs though. I am sorry if they sound stupid. Lol. Do we still get to pick time slots for those classes? Can we also choose our professors or does university assign us professors for those classes? Thanks in advance. :)

Sharpie: They've usually been posting decisions on Friday after the meeting. Take that for what it's worth, because it is possible they didn't meet at all yesterday. I've been waiting for a decision since December :/

Status
Not open for further replies.