2010-2011 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awwwwwww waitlisted today via email.

Members don't see this ad.

Totally forgot about this school. Invited to interview today. Debating on taking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! Completed August 16th...here's to hoping!

Complete August 20 and also waiting to hear...

Anyone know/remember when the commitee meets to discuss interviewed applicant? I want to say the second monday of every month but I could be way off.

Just wondering about when i should be expecting news if I interviewed Oct 15th.

Hi Guys,

I have an interview at Rochester next week and I was wondering if anyone thinks it is still possible to get a student host?! ... all this travel is getting expensive and I wanted to cut cost... unfortunately I did not think of contacting a student host sooner :( ... Either way I am very excited, this is one of my top choices!

Best of luck to those that will be interviewing next week and to those of you still waiting to hear.

Just got the interview invite 2 minutes ago. complete oct. 12th I don't know why so early, I have fairly avg. stats. 3.77 32R. They might not do things chronologically there.

Anyone that interviewed on 10/21 hear anything back yet?? Had a great time at this interview and am getting really nervous with this wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Can anyone here comment on how the interview day was? Relaxed or did you have any complaints about it? Also, how hard is it to get a student host? Looks like my interview will be in late January or in Feb at this point... Just got an interview invite this morning! Super excited! Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Congrats to everyone who got in!

Hi everyone! Can anyone here comment on how the interview day was? Relaxed or did you have any complaints about it? Also, how hard is it to get a student host? Looks like my interview will be in late January or in Feb at this point... Just got an interview invite this morning! Super excited! Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Congrats to everyone who got in!

Congrats on the invite. Mind sharing complete date? Stats? IS/OOS?

My interview day was really really relaxed. It was a while ago, but if I recall correctly there was a few intros then a fin aid presentation then about 2 hours where you had your first interview/could sit in on classes/explore a little bit. After that was a tour and lunch, then you had your second interview at some point in the afternoon. I am pretty local so I had the last interview of the day so I had a lot of time to kill (almost 2 hours) but I was a serious outlier; and getting to talk to students was awesome.

The best part was that their admissions waiting area was this little lobby like area where they have free coffee/tea/hot chocolate for all the students (and interviewees) so it was a really high traffic area and students loved to wax poetic about the school and even a 4th year was there to hang out with interviewees before her rotation.

Both the interviews were super-low stress, some of the interviewers go in completely blind (they don't even read the little essays and activities that you provide U of R) which leads to an even more relaxed, conversational style interview.

U of R was an amazing place and I am so happy to be accepted there, and while I am still waiting to hear back from some other schools that I would love to go to, U of R will be near the top of my list no matter what.

Got the call around 1215. Interviewed 10/21. Really excited. Absolutely love this school.

Getting really excited bout this school as i am reading up on it!!!! Does anyone know about the ART? I read that they pay medical education if you choose to do the 1 year out... so is that just for the year out or for the whole education(unlikely)? Interview in 2 weeks!!!!

Rejected via email this morning, pre-interview :(

Was hoping for some love since I'm from the Rochester, NY area. Oh well!

Rejected pre interview... 3.9/36 instate =(
wow. thats harsh. I loved Rochester but gonna have to withdraw no more cash for travel. Hopefully the spot opens up for someone. Really hard to let go :(

Rejected pre interview... 3.9/36 instate =(

Sorry to hear that, but would you any of you guys who recieved the rejection email today mind sharing your complete date? Just wondering if I should be expecting that soon too.

Sorry to hear that, but would you any of you guys who recieved the rejection email today mind sharing your complete date? Just wondering if I should be expecting that soon too.

I was complete August 16th.

Rejected pre-interview too... 3.88 / 32S

I was complete mid-August

Hrrmm...think they decide on acceptances around the same time they decide on interviews? Anyone know exactly when they meet to make post-interview decisions?

I don't think interview invites are in chronological order here, but who knows.

rejected today pre-interview. was complete mid August.

rejected pre-interview :( looks like there were a lot of those today

Rejected pre-interview, complete 9/8, 3.7, 31. Sounds like there were a lot of applicants who were rejected - doesn't make me feel as bad.

I was complete on 9/22, and haven't heard anything since the email that said all my materials were in.

It seems like most of the people here were complete much earlier, so Rochester probably still needs to review my application.

With all the pre-interview rejections, no news is good news, I suppose.

Accepted also. called at 4:30 yesterday and i interviewed nov 1st!

im so excited. i LoveLoveLove this school :)

Congrats!!! Unfortunately withdrawing from this school!!! Im sure its an awesome school i was getting really excited about them but no cash.
ps my bff sister name is adaeze lol

waitlisted... really liked this school too, I'm from the rochester area so this is a real bummer...

accepted yesterday! interviewed 10/29. good luck everybody!

Hey guys, question for those who have interviewed already. Did you have any problems flying in to Greater Rochester Int'l and taxy-ing, like they said in the transport form? Thanks!

Last edited:
what does it mean if you have no notification?

I interviewed 10/28...but no call or anything on the status website =/

what does it mean if you have no notification?

I interviewed 10/28...but no call or anything on the status website =/

Happened to me too. It could mean your interview notes weren't submitted in time for the admissions committee to look at them during the november meeting.

When I got accepted they didn't update the secondary. So no worries if nothing has changed. You can always check the "communication" tab, that does change.

Good luck all.

Happened to me too. It could mean your interview notes weren't submitted in time for the admissions committee to look at them during the november meeting.

For those of you that have interviewed: what did you think of the school? By that I mean, did you get to meet with a lot of students, quality of the facilities, location, etc?

Anyone who interviewed here have any recommendations about where to stay? I'm interviewing 1/7. I've emailed two students about student hosting (one I emailed two weeks ago and the other I emailed a week ago), but I haven't heard back from either. I'm thinking I should start looking for an alternative, but I don't know the area. I'd like to stay as close to the campus as possible. Thank you!

For those of you that have interviewed: what did you think of the school? By that I mean, did you get to meet with a lot of students, quality of the facilities, location, etc?
I thought Rochester was amazing, it is really quite an exceptional school, all of the faculty is really passionate that U of R is an incredible institution. You definitely get to meet a lot of students on the interview day, the waiting area is right in the middle of a busy hallway and right next to the free coffee machine so a lot of students stop buy and procrastinate/tell all the applicants how great the school is.

The facilities are really solid, Strong is a rising hospital, they are getting more and more grant money every year. They are building a ton of new buildings and have just completed several, a Cancer center that is maybe 3 years old, and a huge new research facility that opened last year I think. In terms of housing, there are a lot of cool neighborhoods nearby.

In terms of Rochester, the city, I go to college about 30 minutes away and grew up about 2 hours away and I think its a really awesome city. There are a lot of cool things to do, a great arts/music scene, U of R has a world-class music school (the Eastman School of Music). The bar scene is really great there are some solid places in Rochester. Summers in upstate NY have the most perfect weather possible, and winters in Rochester are just cold, there isn't nearly as much snow as Syracuse or Buffalo. There is a decent skiing place about 35-40 minutes away, its great. If you like sports, they have a minor league everything, Syracuse basketball/football/lax is 1.5 hours away, and the Bills and Sabres are 1.5 hours away in the other direction. Rochester is awesome.

Anyone who interviewed here have any recommendations about where to stay? I'm interviewing 1/7. I've emailed two students about student hosting (one I emailed two weeks ago and the other I emailed a week ago), but I haven't heard back from either. I'm thinking I should start looking for an alternative, but I don't know the area. I'd like to stay as close to the campus as possible. Thank you!
Not a 100% definitive answer, but there is a Staybridge Suites right across the river from the U of R campus, probably a 15 minute walk to the medical school. No idea how much it is though, I am sure there are other hotels in the area that maybe have shuttles to Strong.

I thought Rochester was amazing, it is really quite an exceptional school, all of the faculty is really passionate that U of R is an incredible institution. You definitely get to meet a lot of students on the interview day, the waiting area is right in the middle of a busy hallway and right next to the free coffee machine so a lot of students stop buy and procrastinate/tell all the applicants how great the school is.

The facilities are really solid, Strong is a rising hospital, they are getting more and more grant money every year. They are building a ton of new buildings and have just completed several, a Cancer center that is maybe 3 years old, and a huge new research facility that opened last year I think. In terms of housing, there are a lot of cool neighborhoods nearby.

In terms of Rochester, the city, I go to college about 30 minutes away and grew up about 2 hours away and I think its a really awesome city. There are a lot of cool things to do, a great arts/music scene, U of R has a world-class music school (the Eastman School of Music). The bar scene is really great there are some solid places in Rochester. Summers in upstate NY have the most perfect weather possible, and winters in Rochester are just cold, there isn't nearly as much snow as Syracuse or Buffalo. There is a decent skiing place about 35-40 minutes away, its great. If you like sports, they have a minor league everything, Syracuse basketball/football/lax is 1.5 hours away, and the Bills and Sabres are 1.5 hours away in the other direction. Rochester is awesome.

Thanks for the detailed response. It's really helpful when people like you offer that kind of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.