2018-2019 University of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Rochester School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary received this morning and sent.
Maybe 5 check boxes then complete. Lovely deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"Participated in a formal summer research and / or enrichment program related to a career in the health professions (i.e., SMDEP funded by R.W.Johnson Foundation or other competitive program)"

Do Summer Programs for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) count?

+5! God I wish all my secondaries were this simple.

Reactions: 1 users
"Participated in a formal summer research and / or enrichment program related to a career in the health professions (i.e., SMDEP funded by R.W.Johnson Foundation or other competitive program)"

Do Summer Programs for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) count?

I don't think summer research would count here, I think they're trying to target people who took competitive career or leadership programs! Can't hurt to ask though.

I don't think summer research would count here, I think they're trying to target people who took competitive career or leadership programs! Can't hurt to ask though.

And I wouldn't be surprised if those questions were specifically for informational/research/survey reasons and not necessarily admissions directly. Especially because you have that stuff on your primary anyways and the questions are oddly very specific!

Does it show your guys' LORs as received? Mine aren't and wondering if there's anything I need to do specifically or just wait.

Nvm just saw email after submitting

But it literally says summer research?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to submit this today since it was just a few checked boxes, but I have four LOR's that will arrive by the end of the month I'll send through AMCAS. I know for some schools, you should wait to submit the secondary until LOR's are designated for that school, otherwise they'll only look at the first 3 letters you designate. Is it safe to submit and then designate LOR's later?

I'd like to submit this today since it was just a few checked boxes, but I have four LOR's that will arrive by the end of the month I'll send through AMCAS. I know for some schools, you should wait to submit the secondary until LOR's are designated for that school, otherwise they'll only look at the first 3 letters you designate. Is it safe to submit and then designate LOR's later?
I submitted mine today before designating letters because I like to live dangerously. They sent this in their confirmation email:
"Your application will become complete when we have received ONE of the following:
  • Committee Letter
  • Pre-Health Packet
  • 3 Individual Letters - if you indicated via AMCAS that, for example, you have 5 individual letters arriving, the first 3 letters to arrive will make your application complete.
  • For MD/PhD candidates, 3 individual letters plus 1 additional letter in support of your MD/PhD application is required.
Any additional letters received after your application is complete will be downloaded from AMCAS. However, we cannot guarantee that the Committee will have access to those letters when your application is reviewed. Unfortunately, our system does not allow us to hold applications for the arrival of additional letters."

So it looks like you will be complete and reviewed when secondary and three letters are in. The could review the fourth letter, or they could not depending on when your app is reviewed. If you're really concerned about them reviewing the fourth it may be best to wait until it's ready before submitting.

And I wouldn't be surprised if those questions were specifically for informational/research/survey reasons and not necessarily admissions directly. Especially because you have that stuff on your primary anyways and the questions are oddly very specific!
I think this is highly likely

But it literally says summer research?
my bad, I really am not speaking from an informed place, but I'm thinking something very competitive like an NIH postbacc rather than like the undergrad summer research program at my college. But I could be wrong, I'm not sure what they're going for.

my bad, I really am not speaking from an informed place, but I'm thinking something very competitive like an NIH postbacc rather than like the undergrad summer research program at my college. But I could be wrong, I'm not sure what they're going for.
I think there are a lot of people who did formal, NIH-funded research over the summer through an undergraduate program. I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to read it that way, but I also am not terribly informed!

Secondary submitted, thank you Rochester for having the best one ever.

Reactions: 2 users
I just applied (primary). Thoughts on when I'd get the secondary invite?

Interviewed here last cycle and chiming in - you do have prompts to answer if you receive an II here.

Just applied! Hoping they show some love to a low gpa candidate!

No secondary and no Casper? Is this my dream school!?

I received an interview invitation this morning. OOS.

II!

Completed 2nd week of July
LM low 70s. OOS. ORM. Excited!!

Last edited:
II received today! Submitted 7/27, cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.67, MCAT 528

II just a little bit ago! Excited to visit. Complete 7/15, stats in signature.

II today as well! My first one, super excited. OOS LM 77

I submitted my secondary on 7/27, but since there was no secondary I wasn't able to update the school on any of the activities I have started this summer/fall semester. Is it weird to send an update letter this early in the cycle? My ECs could definitely use some work

Interview invite today! First one, whoop whoop. Submitted 7/19. OOS LM 76

Reactions: 3 users
Got an II!! glad its before winter heh

Reactions: 4 users
II just now.
Are there any current students at UR here who are willing to share some experience of the interview? Thanks in advance!