2010-2011 University of Nebraska Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if anyone, or if anyone has heard of someone, being rejected post-interview yet?

I have not; I know of approximately 10 people in the cycle right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted this week. Interviewed on the first possible non-EDP date (wasn't it Oct. 1 or so?)

I was accepted this week. Interviewed on the first possible non-EDP date (wasn't it Oct. 1 or so?)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

If you don't mind sharing with us....What were your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

If you don't mind sharing with us....What were your stats?

Click his MdAppps link right under his username on the left.

Last edited:
Quote:

Click his MdAppps link right under his username on the left.

Ahh, I see. Sorry, I did not know that you could do this. Thanks, I am a long time stalker but I finally decided to join!!!

Well, this week was unfortunately not the week.

I'm getting antsy.

Well, this week was unfortunately not the week.

I'm getting antsy.

Nevermind, letter was in the mail.

Flat out rejected with a 3.92 cumulative, 4.0 science, 30 mcat and what I thought was a solid interview. Pretty shocked honestly.

Nevermind, letter was in the mail.

Flat out rejected with a 3.92 cumulative, 4.0 science, 30 mcat and what I thought was a solid interview. Pretty shocked honestly.

No freaking way! Are you IS or OOS?

UNMC med school, statistically speaking, is one of the easiest MD schools to be admitted in USA for in-state students.

I hear from other students that, if you have a 3.6 + 30 MCAT + average interview you will be heavily favored to be admitted if you apply EDP.

Do you also have the clinical experiences? UNMC is heavy on primary care....you MUST have shadowing/clinical volunteering...etc etc to be admitted, I would think.

Last edited:
I interviewed on October 22nd and STILL haven't heard anything from UNMC. Should I call them to see what's up or just keep waiting?

Don't worry about calling. I interviewed Nov 5th and have not heard anything back yet either. When I called they said they have not even looked at my application yet because they were behind this year.

Accepted! OOS/35/3.8...... best of luck to everyone still waiting, never let what might happen or won't happen in the future keep you from enjoying the present.

Hey Ethereal, I've been following your posts and frankly I'm also stricken that you didn't get in. Also very worried, because I think of our stats as being somewhat equivalent, though opposite (my GPA is fine and my MCAT is great). I thought I'd offer my condolences and wish you good luck on the rest of your cycle.

I interviewed on december third and haven't heard anything either...I've been accepted to unsom, but I really wanna stay in omaha! Just to clarify, acceptance comes via email and rejection comes through snail mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! OOS/35/3.8...... best of luck to everyone still waiting, never let what might happen or won't happen in the future keep you from enjoying the present.

Congrats! When did you receive your letter?

Thanks! The letter came last week. I also received an email a day or two after I got the letter. Considering I interviewed in December and I’m OOS, the review process is definitely random. Unless you’re Nostradamus or an exceptionally gifted octopus, there’s no telling when the decision will come so just pass time in the way that intelligent and successful individuals have throughout history….. booze hard with good friends.

……and yes I promptly sent in a thank you note after my interview. However, I’m sure anyone who was sooooo inconsiderate as to not send in a thank you note could compensate by sending in a well written letter of interest/intent (talk about how beautiful the facilities where, how thankful you were for the opportunity, say something that stood out to you during the interview, and the fact that you haven’t wanted something this bad since you wanted to ride the elephants at the Omaha zoo when you were 5..... or 15…. Or last month)

Do you think one should use snail mail or email to send the letter of interest/intent? I will definitely try the elephant angle...

I'm no adcom but I'd say snail mail. Just make sure to use a nice template and be sincere, don't overconcern yourself with details as you'll end up having the problem of paralysis by analysis.

So no one has heard any new news good or bad??? Silent still on this front.

Just received an acceptance letter this afternoon. IS/26/3.8……who says a low MCAT score will keep you out!!!

That is awesome! What do you think put you over the top? Great EC's or interview or thank you letter(JK)...I think my mailman has been holding out on me.

I can only assume my E.C.’s gave me the push I needed. As a non-traditional applicant with a very unique background I had several experiences that I’m sure they don’t see very often. My interview was great as well. But who really knows what they look for right?

I was just wondering if anyone has heard any news (good or bad) from nebraska in the last week? I'm really hoping this is the week for me. I'm an OOS/3.85gpa/31mcat. What do you think my chances are?

Any thoughts about sending a letter of interest/update on volunteer work, etc for those with status unchanged?

Ugh so tired of waiting, my friend got a rejection on saturday through snail. I just wanna know good our bad so I can make plans for the fall.

At least you know if you have not been rejected there is a chance. Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he had other acceptances!

^^ that's true, thanks for being positive! He was accepted to do program in kc, but I think wanted unmc bad. Stats were 27/3.6 I think, instate.

So I was a little disappointed from the lack of mail today, but around 4pm I got a nice email from Gigi saying:

The Student Health Immunization form link that was provided on your acceptance letter to the University of Nebraska College of Medicine is no longer valid.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you and congratulations.

Gigi Rogers

I guess that means I'm in?!! I'm hoping the letter will show up tomorrow.

My cousin received her rejection letter today.

Her stats were 3.7 GPA, 35 MCAT, and instate. She is shocked - thought her interview went superb. This just shows how unpredictable the process is - she applied EDP too.

So I was a little disappointed from the lack of mail today, but around 4pm I got a nice email from Gigi saying:

The Student Health Immunization form link that was provided on your acceptance letter to the University of Nebraska College of Medicine is no longer valid.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you and congratulations.

Gigi Rogers

I guess that means I'm in?!! I'm hoping the letter will show up tomorrow.

Boy have I got some good news for you... I got the same email, so I replied because I also hadn't gotten a letter yet. That email was sent to accepted students, and my letter was sent on Friday, waiting for me all nice and cozy in my mailbox when I got home! I suppose yours is on the way too :) Congratulations! Speaking of nice and cozy... it's going to be 70 and sunny all week here in Phoenix, just like pretty much every week in winter. I guess this means I'll have to buy a jacket and some closed-toed shoes now?!

I got my acceptance letter yesterday! What an amazing experience and relief! I hope everyone that is still waiting hears back soon.

In other news, my wife is also due with our first child during the first week of class! It should be interesting.

I got my acceptance letter yesterday! What an amazing experience and relief! I hope everyone that is still waiting hears back soon.

In other news, my wife is also due with our first child during the first week of class! It should be interesting.

Dude that's gonna be a wild week for you. I'll let you copy my notes :)

Accepted February 10, 2011! Received February 12, 2011. UNMC class of 2015! Happy Day!

Has anybody who was accepted started the financial aid process? Is there a fb page for class of 2015? Thanks

I was wondering if there were any current students reading this thread, and willing to share their perspective. You can't gleam everything from an interview day, after all...

I'd be open to any information about your perception of your school, but some ideas for starters:

• How receptive have you felt the administration is to fixing problems?
  • How would you describe your class (e.g. the M2 class) to your parents? (i.e. how's the group dynamic?)
  • Did the structured curriculum in M1/M2 leave you sufficient time to learn on your own independently?
  • What is your opinion of the clinical years - esp. the 3rd year curriculum? Are you pleased with how rotations are structured and graded? What is your impression of the role of M3/M4s on the wards - interaction, or just shadowing and scut work?
  • How helpful is the school in the residency application process? How does the school collect info for the dean's letter? Do you feel the school does a good job in exposing you to all the specialties out there?
  • Have you felt the methods of assessment to be fair and helpful in your learning (i.e. tiered instead of Pass/Fail)?
  • Have you felt UNMC pushes PC hard once you're a student, or is it respectable to show interest in the specialties early?
Appreciate anything you'd be willing to share. Thanks very much!

I haven't heard back yet and I am wondering if that is a good thing or bad thing. If we haven't heard back yet then does that mean we have been waitlisted? How many people haven't heard back yet?

I haven't heard back yet and I am wondering if that is a good thing or bad thing. If we haven't heard back yet then does that mean we have been waitlisted? How many people haven't heard back yet?

I have the same question. I have an offer to do a late interview at another school but I'm waiting to buy the ticket because I don't know if I'm going to be rejected, waitlisted or accepted at UNMC. I sent an e-mail to Gigi recently asking if I should expect anything from UNMC before the end of February, and she said 'No.' So I don't know if this means I will get something next week, or if I will receive something on March 15. Again, does anybody know if rejections/acceptances are still being sent out?

I believe they make decisions until March 15, and then you either receive a waitlist or rejection, at least from what I know. So there is still hope.

So, anybody get anything recently? Do you think they're waiting to send the last batch during the week of March 15?

Also, I am expecting to have to re-apply (although if I get accepted late, great!), so I was wondering if taking the MCAT a third time would be worth it? (I got a 28 first time, and then a 31 the second time)

Regardless, I plan on getting at least two different letters of rec (one from a doctor, and one from a research/work advisor), to apply to different schools (mostly different than the ones I applied to this time), and to take one/two graduate classes while working full-time. If anything, what else should I plan on doing? I have been volunteering at a hospital, but I haven't ever shadowed a doctor...I would like to shadow one soon though (this would be the doctor that I would get my letter of rec from), but I'm having a hard time finding one since neither I nor my family knows one personally...any advice? Thanks.

I was offered a full-tuition scholarship over the weekend, but the letter only talks about the 2010-2011 year, not all four. Anyone else know anything about these?

I was offered a full-tuition scholarship over the weekend, but the letter only talks about the 2010-2011 year, not all four. Anyone else know anything about these?

Are you IS or OOS? The only scholarship I'm familiar with is the NRTS (non-resident tuition scholarship), which is good for all 4 years.

Are you IS or OOS? The only scholarship I'm familiar with is the NRTS (non-resident tuition scholarship), which is good for all 4 years.

I'm in-state. Dr. Hill's wording was "the equivalent of a full tuition scholarship for the 2010-2011 academic year," which makes me think it must have been pieced together from different funds.

So for those who are still on limb with this whole process, have any of you guys been waitlisted yet? If so, do they tell you what tier (or even what number) you are on the list? I'm sure this can be answered by those who have been waitlisted in the past too...Thanks.

So for those who are still on limb with this whole process, have any of you guys been waitlisted yet? If so, do they tell you what tier (or even what number) you are on the list? I'm sure this can be answered by those who have been waitlisted in the past too...Thanks.

I haven't heard anything yet....I interviewed 11/19....no idea what to make out of the situation at all other than since they said decisions would be made on March 15th that I have to know something this week.

I haven't heard anything yet....I interviewed 11/19....no idea what to make out of the situation at all other than since they said decisions would be made on March 15th that I have to know something this week.

Yea, same here.

So for those who have gotten a letter already (acceptance/rejection/waitlist), what does the letter look like from the outside? Big, small, white, colorful? I'd like to know what I get before I get it, if you know what I mean! (I hate opening letters/e-mails like these, and I probably won't read it past the first word until at least a half-hour to an hour after getting over my tears of joy/sadness/disbelief anyways!)

Yea, same here.

So for those who have gotten a letter already (acceptance/rejection/waitlist), what does the letter look like from the outside? Big, small, white, colorful? I'd like to know what I get before I get it, if you know what I mean! (I hate opening letters/e-mails like these, and I probably won't read it past the first word until at least a half-hour to an hour after getting over my tears of joy/sadness/disbelief anyways!)

Okay, nevermind...rejected today: in-state, 28Q(first time), 31Q (second time), 3.78c/3.71s, only extracurricular that is health related is volunteering at a hospital in the ER since last May.

good luck to those who are still waiting!

Last edited:
Wait listed in the bottom half, is there any hope for this year besides a miracle? Stats are 36p, 3.65 gpa, 3.92 not counting freshman year, a lot of volunteering and extracurriculars and part time job, limited amount on the shadowing though.

Wait listed in the bottom half, is there any hope for this year besides a miracle? Stats are 36p, 3.65 gpa, 3.92 not counting freshman year, a lot of volunteering and extracurriculars and part time job, limited amount on the shadowing though.

I was just put on the alternate list Monday, but they didn't tell me my position or tier or anything. Did they tell you yours or do you have to call Gigi or do something else?

Any OOS students holding an acceptance who plan on choosing another school instead? It would be comforting to know if there were any out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.