2010-2011 University of Nebraska Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it random or like higher stats first, then down the list?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's higher stats first. But, I'm not really sure. Also, not everyone has interviewed, there are still dates scheduled for January.

Is anyone sending update letters? If so, what are you saying in them and how are you addressing the committee?

I thought about sending an update letter, but I decided against it because all I have to say is how much more I want to get into UNMC than anywhere else. I figured that would just look like I was sucking up, so I decided against it for the same reason I decided not to write any thank you notes to interviewers (which I was urged not to do by an MD who said it makes him gag when he receives a thank you note after an interview).

On another note, a few lucky people may possibly receive an acceptance today (or soon at least). Keep your fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, applicants! Hope you start hearing positive results soon!

Anyone get a letter (or heard of someone getting one)? Or are we not going to hear until the new year...

I don't think it's higher stats first. But, I'm not really sure. Also, not everyone has interviewed, there are still dates scheduled for January.

Is anyone sending update letters? If so, what are you saying in them and how are you addressing the committee?

It is absolutely higher stats first. Like most medical schools, they admit on a rolling basis. They accept the best students first, see who accepts their acceptance, then move down the list until their class is full. [This is straight from my interviewer]

I thought about sending an update letter, but I decided against it because all I have to say is how much more I want to get into UNMC than anywhere else. I figured that would just look like I was sucking up, so I decided against it for the same reason I decided not to write any thank you notes to interviewers (which I was urged not to do by an MD who said it makes him gag when he receives a thank you note after an interview).

On another note, a few lucky people may possibly receive an acceptance today (or soon at least). Keep your fingers crossed!

For what it's worth....

Gigi Rogers, the admissions director specifically said during my visit "It is a good idea to write thank you notes to interviewers." She also said you should NOT write update letters, and instructed that if you had actual updates, like new involvements or resume items that you should email them directly to her with a short description. She said do not write them as "letters to the committee" but rather like you did on AMCAS.

Also, Hello! I'm a new member and an in-state applicant to UNMC. I interviewed December 10th, and am very excited to hear back. If you're in state feel good knowing you have roughly a 50% chance of getting accepted, and I know of at least 10 people who are total idiots that applied this year, so you shouldn't have any problem getting admitted over them. That puts you at about 53% :)

Last edited:
Gigi Rogers, the admissions director specifically said during my visit "It is a good idea to write thank you notes to interviewers."

I really hope it doesn't actually make a difference in the admissions decision, because I was really on the fence about this. Personally, I think the idea of sending a thank-you note to an interviewer is ludicrous, and if I'm ever in that position I will make it clear that I don't want to receive any. I finally decided not to after speaking with my advisor, a respected physician at Mayo, who told me he hates receiving thank-you notes in this context. Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciated my interviewer taking the time to see me. He was friendly, knowledgeable, and we got along very well. However, sending a thank-you note conveys exactly zero information about my qualifications as a potential physician, and furthermore it makes me seem like a desperate suck-up. He knows damn well that I appreciate his contribution to the process, and that I would like him to look favorably upon me. He doesn't need a note to tell him that. What's next? We should send flowers to our interviewers? We should give them a massage? Take them to dinner?

It's not necessarily high stats first, but it's definitely most desirable first. If they run their process like most schools, then they will have ranked us all and placed our applications in a nice hypothetical stack organized according to who is the most awesome. They accept people from the top of the stack in batches, and eventually they will fill their class spots. Assuming they don't overaccept, at this point they will wait until accepted students decline their offers, and as spots open up they will continue to move further and further down the application stack until they finally have all spots filled. Some of the students who are near the top of the stack but haven't been accepted yet will be put on the wait list in March, which just means "you are sort of near the top of the stack, so you might get in if spots open up."

At least that's how I understand it.

It is absolutely higher stats first. Like most medical schools, they admit on a rolling basis. They accept the best students first, see who accepts their acceptance, then move down the list until their class is full. [This is straight from my interviewer]

For what it's worth....

Gigi Rogers, the admissions director specifically said during my visit "It is a good idea to write thank you notes to interviewers." She also said you should NOT write update letters, and instructed that if you had actual updates, like new involvements or resume items that you should email them directly to her with a short description. She said do not write them as "letters to the committee" but rather like you did on AMCAS.

Also, Hello! I'm a new member and an in-state applicant to UNMC. I interviewed December 10th, and am very excited to hear back. If you're in state feel good knowing you have roughly a 50% chance of getting accepted, and I know of at least 10 people who are total idiots that applied this year, so you shouldn't have any problem getting admitted over them. That puts you at about 53% :)

Gigi also said that they review the applications in random batches... does this mean they divide the applicant pool into tiers (like top, middle, bottom 3rds, etc) THEN pull random batches from those? Don't get me wrong, I agree that it makes sense to admit the best applicants first then go down the list, but it doesn't seem consistent with what I was told during my interview.

Also, Gigi said to our group "thank you notes are welcomed if you wish to send them" but not necessarily a good or bad idea.

Gigi also said that they review the applications in random batches... does this mean they divide the applicant pool into tiers (like top, middle, bottom 3rds, etc) THEN pull random batches from those? Don't get me wrong, I agree that it makes sense to admit the best applicants first then go down the list, but it doesn't seem consistent with what I was told during my interview.

They review the applications in random batches, and once they are reviewed they are probably assigned a score, at which point they are placed in a hypothetical stack in ascending order. Then acceptances are handed out from the top of that stack.

Haha, :laugh:

So they decide until March 15, but those who are on the waitlist, what's the latest they could get news of an opening, like May/June?

Anecdotal at best, but my older friends of mine admitted in past years have all heard before the end of january.

Haha, :laugh:

So they decide until March 15, but those who are on the waitlist, what's the latest they could get news of an opening, like May/June?

My girlfriend's friend (hah, I know I'm not sounding very credible here...) was accepted to UNMC in the middle of July. I do not know the circumstances, but I know she was not admitted during the regular cycle (obviously), so I can only assume she was waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! So happy right now :love:. Was not expecting it at all, at least not this early.

Accepted! So happy right now :love:. Was not expecting it at all, at least not this early.

Congrats! I'm very happy for you. Can you tell us how you found out and when? You are in-state, right?

Congratulations! do you mind also telling us your interview date? Thanks a bunch!

Congrats -- would you mind sharing some details about your stats? Was it just a letter in the mail?

Thanks guys! I interviewed Oct. 29 as an in-state UNL student. My stats were about average: 3.8 cGPA/3.7 sGPA, 29N. I'm sure it was my interview performance that got me in and perhaps my extracurricular activities. I hope all of you guys get in, best of luck!

Also, I found out Wednesday (22nd) but the letter packet was marked Dec. 17 so it probably came on the 20th or 21st. I didn't check the mail because I thought I wouldn't have gotten anything!

Thanks guys! I interviewed Oct. 29 as an in-state UNL student. My stats were about average: 3.8 cGPA/3.7 sGPA, 29N. I'm sure it was my interview performance that got me in and perhaps my extracurricular activities. I hope all of you guys get in, best of luck!

Also, I found out Wednesday (22nd) but the letter packet was marked Dec. 17 so it probably came on the 20th or 21st. I didn't check the mail because I thought I wouldn't have gotten anything!

Congrats, I'm at UNL also, maybe we've had a few classes together...?

I'm sitting at a 3.93 cumulative, 4.0 science, 30R mcat, and interviewed Dec 10th. Hopefully I will have good news soon also!

hey guys i'm new on here. I interviewed on December 3rd or 4th I believe. I am instate as well. I have also interviewed at UNSOM because my parents are living in nevada. My stats are 3.63 cGPA 3.5 sGPA (I had a 2.7 my first year at UNL, did miserably in calculus and stats, but had a 3.9 since then at Wesleyan University) and 36P on mcat. UNMC is definitely my first choice and probably the best school I can get into. I had some criminal background issue that's really holding me back as of now, but hopefully the admission committee will see past that and let me in this year. Good luck every one!

Congrats, I'm at UNL also, maybe we've had a few classes together...?

I'm sitting at a 3.93 cumulative, 4.0 science, 30R mcat, and interviewed Dec 10th. Hopefully I will have good news soon also!

Perhaps we have, lets see, I had Biochem with Bailey this semester, did you have that?

Your stats are better than mine so you should definitely get in. Let us know when you get the acceptance letter!

Perhaps we have, lets see, I had Biochem with Bailey this semester, did you have that?

Your stats are better than mine so you should definitely get in. Let us know when you get the acceptance letter!

Nope, I'm in biochem with Bailey next semester. The only thing I'm worried about is that my mcat score is pretty wonky (12 PS / 11 BS / 7 VR). Hoping that 7 doesn't affect my chances too adversely. Were you in anatomy this semester?

hey guys i'm new on here. I interviewed on December 3rd or 4th I believe. I am instate as well. I have also interviewed at UNSOM because my parents are living in nevada. My stats are 3.63 cGPA 3.5 sGPA (I had a 2.7 my first year at UNL, did miserably in calculus and stats, but had a 3.9 since then at Wesleyan University) and 36P on mcat. UNMC is definitely my first choice and probably the best school I can get into. I had some criminal background issue that's really holding me back as of now, but hopefully the admission committee will see past that and let me in this year. Good luck every one!

I would stay optimistic, that's a great MCAT score, and it sounds like everything is on a definite upward trend for you. I have a friend who got admitted two years ago who had a fairly similar situation to yours from the sounds of it (rough start, strong finish) and it didn't hold him back. Good luck !:luck:

Interesting, I go to UNL and had Bailey for biochem this semester as well. I was surprised how easy her class was, got an A with little effort.

Well, hopefully we'll be in the same class next year!

Nope, I'm in biochem with Bailey next semester. The only thing I'm worried about is that my mcat score is pretty wonky (12 PS / 11 BS / 7 VR). Hoping that 7 doesn't affect my chances too adversely. Were you in anatomy this semester?

I'm taking anatomy next semester. Heard the lab is a killer.

Interesting, I go to UNL and had Bailey for biochem this semester as well. I was surprised how easy her class was, got an A with little effort.

Well, hopefully we'll be in the same class next year!

Ya, I stopped trying after the first test and still got an A, but I did learn quite a bit. What else did you take this semester and what are you taking next? Perhaps we will have the same class.

Hope you get some good news soon!

I'm taking anatomy next semester. Heard the lab is a killer.

The lab is really killer. It's alot of studying. I *barely* got an A, and I studied ALOT. Definitely have to do alot every day. But since you're already accepted, the stress will be lower, and you will be able to relax and enjoy it more. Whatever you do, do NOT text during Dr. Woodman's lectures!

I would stay optimistic, that's a great MCAT score, and it sounds like everything is on a definite upward trend for you. I have a friend who got admitted two years ago who had a fairly similar situation to yours from the sounds of it (rough start, strong finish) and it didn't hold him back. Good luck !:luck:

Thanks a lot, I knew that I needed to stand out someway due to my lacking areas. That is why I studied my butt off for the MCAT. I really hope to get in this year because some of my friends already got in through early admission and it'd be really convenient since we all studied together during undergrad. Good luck to you too!

Ya, I stopped trying after the first test and still got an A, but I did learn quite a bit. What else did you take this semester and what are you taking next? Perhaps we will have the same class.

Hope you get some good news soon!

I am finished with my premed courses and am graduating, so I'll just be working, shadowing, etc until I matriculate hopefully.

i don't envy the position that a lot of you guys find yourselves in right now. i interviewed last year in the middle of november and got the waitlist letter on march 15. gigi told me that between 3/15 - 5/15, all of the students who receive acceptance to multiple schools are given the time to make their decisions, and then after the middle of may, the waitlistees will be notified of their acceptance. unfortunately, the students who do receive multiple acceptances aren't necessarily held accountable to make their decision by 5/15, so those that are waiting might not find out until late summer. luckily, i was relatively high on the list and found out on 5/17 that i got in.

for what it's worth, my stats were bachelors in biology (3.66 gpa/3.3 science gpa), masters in public health (3.8 gpa), 30P mcat, loads of extracurriculars and shadowing experiences.

also, if you don't get in this year, make sure you take advantage of the exit interview with gigi. she will walk you through your application and tell you where you need to improve. i was rejected twice before i got in.

as far as the committee sessions go, here's what i remember from gigi: each application is presented to the committee, they talk it over, and then bring it to a vote. if an application receives a resounding positive majority, acceptance is granted. if an application receives a resounding negative majority, acceptance is denied. if an application receives a luke-warm, but positive feelings, it is put back in the pile for consideration at a later date.

it may be a little late in the game if you haven't already done it, but i would definitely write a thank you note to the interviewer. their job is to advocate on your behalf to the admission committee. this part of your med school career is about making people like you. if you have to butter some people up to get ahead, then you better do it.

does anyone know if we send updated transcripts gigi? does it have to be official, or can it be unofficial?

does anyone know if we send updated transcripts gigi? does it have to be official, or can it be unofficial?

It can be unofficial. I called the office awhile ago and they said I could just print my grades off (like through the student self-service or whatever) and mail it in.

it may be a little late in the game if you haven't already done it, but i would definitely write a thank you note to the interviewer. their job is to advocate on your behalf to the admission committee. this part of your med school career is about making people like you. if you have to butter some people up to get ahead, then you better do it.

Does anyone know someone who has gotten in without writing a thank-you note? I didn't write one originally because I was strongly urged not to, but I am beginning to feel like it may be more important and influential than it rightfully should be. I may just have to suck it up and write something after all...

Does anyone know someone who has gotten in without writing a thank-you note? I didn't write one originally because I was strongly urged not to, but I am beginning to feel like it may be more important and influential than it rightfully should be. I may just have to suck it up and write something after all...

Although I am not certain about UNMC specifically, I know people who have gotten into other schools without sending a thank you note. Of course, I don't think a thank you note probably weighs very significantly. It's simply, as aperson put it, buttering up. Someone with good enough stats, interviewed well, etc, probably shouldn't be too worried.

Nonetheless, I don't think sending a thank you letter will hurt your application (Gigi specifically mentioned to my interview group that they are welcomed) so it's probably not a bad idea to just send one anyway.

I don't think it's make or break honestly. Personally, I think sending one now looks like you originally meant to, and then you forgot.

At this point, your interviewer thinks that you chose not to send one, which obviously you didn't.....so they can make whatever they please out of that. If you send one now, several months later, I think it just looks like sloppy attention to detail, and that you're desperate.

Just my $0.02.

Well, at this point, I think we should stop discussing the mysteries of the thank you card. Does anyone know how many people have been accepted up to this point? And when do you all think the next round of acceptances will go out in the mail? This Friday?

Well, at this point, I think we should stop discussing the mysteries of the thank you card. Does anyone know how many people have been accepted up to this point? And when do you all think the next round of acceptances will go out in the mail? This Friday?

Try not to get too anxious yet, I know about 5 people personally who applied and none of them have heard anything. I saw a past thread from 2 years ago I believe and it seemed most people heard at the end of january, not the beginning.

I was informed that the next round will be near the end of this month.

ethereal45 said:
At this point, your interviewer thinks that you chose not to send one, which obviously you didn't.....so they can make whatever they please out of that. If you send one now, several months later, I think it just looks like sloppy attention to detail, and that you're desperate.

What if I explained in the note that I was strongly urged not to write one, but that I have now been convinced otherwise and have decided to write one so as not to appear unappreciative?

I was informed that the next round will be near the end of this month.

What if I explained in the note that I was strongly urged not to write one, but that I have now been convinced otherwise and have decided to write one so as not to appear unappreciative?

Where did you hear that from?

And re: the thank you note, I think you need to stick with your original inclination, don't send it, and stop driving yourself crazy. Four sentences and a stamp don't change many years of grades nor do they add points onto your MCAT.

Jackie O'Hara on the admissions staff. Plus, on last year's thread there were no acceptances posted in January until around the 30th, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's still 3 weeks until we hear again.

And re: the thank you note, I think you need to stick with your original inclination, don't send it, and stop driving yourself crazy. Four sentences and a stamp don't change many years of grades nor do they add points onto your MCAT.

I got into Northwestern without writing thank you notes. I did jot a short one for Nebraska and haven't heard back yet.

I don't think it makes one ounce of difference. I only bothered writing one to interviewers who went out of their way to help me (e.g. my UNMC guy took me on surgical rounds after our chat, which was fun and something he didn't have to do).

What if I explained in the note that I was strongly urged not to write one, but that I have now been convinced otherwise and have decided to write one so as not to appear unappreciative?[/QUOTE]

This was a joke, right? Either way, it made me imagine receiving such a thank you note, and definitely gave me a hearty chuckle.

This was a joke, right? Either way, it made me imagine receiving such a thank you note, and definitely gave me a hearty chuckle.

It's not so much a joke as me wondering if there is any way to write a thank you note 3 months late without looking like an idiot. As you might imagine, I will not actually be sending one at this point. I just hope it doesn't make a difference.

Well, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I kind of forgot about it until it started to seem too late. Even though they encouraged us to write them on interview day, I really can't imagine it making a difference. I have a little too much respect for the admissions process to think something so trivial would affect the adcom's decision in any way.

Since I know everyone likes hearing this stuff.....my girlfriend's roommate got an acceptance on New Years Eve, and she interviewed in early November. For what it's worth.

Her stats are roughly 3.9 cum/science + 30 mcat + not great extra curriculars / very boring letters of rec

Since I know everyone likes hearing this stuff.....my girlfriend's roommate got an acceptance on New Years Eve, and she interviewed in early November. For what it's worth.

Her stats are roughly 3.9 cum/science + 30 mcat + not great extra curriculars / very boring letters of rec

It must have been delivered before new years eve then, because I am pretty sure new years eve is a federal holiday when new years is on a saturday (which also makes the timing weird if the adcom supposedly meets on thursdays).

I didn't realize that the adcom would meet between christmas and new years at all. Just goes to show you, this process is unpredictable.

Last edited:
I interviewed 1/7. I have a very strong feeling that people will receive letters next week.

I interviewed 1/7. I have a very strong feeling that people will receive letters next week.

Same, I am very optimistic this week will be the week.

Also, some more info: I've talked to 4 people who interviewed 12/10 and none of them had heard anything either way.

I was just wondering if anyone, or if anyone has heard of someone, being rejected post-interview yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.