2019-2020 Nebraska

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I tried logging on but must not be accepted anywhere yet because this tool is not available for me. Love the idea though, maybe it will work for others!
The tool opens on Wednesday so try again then!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know a lot of current M1 and M2, and I recognize that at least 20 on that page are current students
omg huge sigh of relief!!! i hate to be the dweeb that keeps referring back to the numbers, but... if they started releasing decisions mid-jan and will go until mid-march... we're only at the halfway point (excluding a handful of EDP applicants). they should have like ~50% of their seats open still. not to mention withdrawals/waitlist movement after that point. we should be okay, guys. it's not over yet.

I tried logging on but must not be accepted anywhere yet because this tool is not available for me. Love the idea though, maybe it will work for others!
Tried this earlier today, and didn’t work

Reactions: 1 user
so from what I've gathered, we should receive a letter probably on a Friday, no change will be made to the UNMC portal online, and you'll get an email if your letter was lost –correct?

so from what I've gathered, we should receive a letter probably on a Friday, no change will be made to the UNMC portal online, and you'll get an email if your letter was lost –correct?
You’ll get a follow-up email no matter what

Reactions: 2 users
That’s interesting. How do you figure it will be on a Friday?

welp. got the post-ii R yesterday in the mail. it was dated Feb 7. was feeling hopeful about this school but i'm relieved that i got a decision one way or another. good luck to all the rest of you.

• Sad
welp. got the post-ii R yesterday in the mail. it was dated Feb 7. was feeling hopeful about this school but i'm relieved that i got a decision one way or another. good luck to all the rest of you.
Sorry to hear that :(

• Sad
Does anyone know if people have been waitlisted or not or does that get told in March?

Does anyone know if people have been waitlisted or not or does that get told in March?
I haven’t heard of anyone being waitlisted yet. While I am not certain, I think that might get told in March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear ): are you IS or OOS

Received the rejection letter yesterday, dated 21FEB2020.

• Sad
Did you have strong ties?
Yes, strong ties to the university, but not to the state/city. I researched here and got a pub a few years ago. During my app review with one of the deans, he didn't say anything about "ties not being strong enough" or anything like that. Seemed like all they though was my MCAT couldve been a little better.

Anyone who has received an R-- definitely sign up for the phone call/meeting that Admissions offers. They're very candid about it, they have all their notes in front of them, and they'll tell you exactly what they liked and didn't like about your app. Great feedback if you're going to reapply.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, strong ties to the university, but not to the state/city. I researched here and got a pub a few years ago. During my app review with one of the deans, he didn't say anything about "ties not being strong enough" or anything like that. Seemed like all they though was my MCAT couldve been a little better.

Anyone who has received an R-- definitely sign up for the phone call/meeting that Admissions offers. They're very candid about it, they have all their notes in front of them, and they'll tell you exactly what they liked and didn't like about your app. Great feedback if you're going to reapply.
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Low as in a few points or several? That’s kind of terrible to not let you in based on one or two mcat points, it sounds like your application is pretty solid otherwise...

Low as in a few points or several? That’s kind of terrible to not let you in based on one or two mcat points, it sounds like your application is pretty solid otherwise...
Hmmm he told me the average for this year's admitted class was a 513 and I came in at a 508. So... more than a couple of points, I suppose. But I was surprised to hear about that because MSAR from last year says the average was 510, and a 508 fell between 25th and 50th percentile according to that data. So I didn't think my MCAT was alarmingly low or anything.

If what he said was true, the jump from a 510 average to a 513 is kind of big. I know it's only three points, but when it comes down to how the test is scored, the difference between scoring a 510 and a 513 is technically greater than the difference between scoring a 525 and a 528. I mean it's not like asking applicants to reach a 513 is unreasonable, but to higher the standard from a 510 to a 513 in one application cycle is kinda big.

I think in-state bias definitely came into play a little here for me, though. I did think I was a fairly strong candidate for this school otherwise. But the dean dude on the phone told me that if I reapply, I should expect to retake and hit that 513 average, or probably even a bit higher since expectations are higher for OOS students. I'm also kinda bummed out because, like, if you were gonna turn me down because you thought my MCAT was low... you had already known that from the day my application was complete, so what was the point of inviting me to an interview to turn me down because of my MCAT score? Just playing devil's advocate (and sure, a little salty), but I think the rationale here was sort of lame lol

Reactions: 3 users
Hmmm he told me the average for this year's admitted class was a 513 and I came in at a 508. So... more than a couple of points, I suppose. But I was surprised to hear about that because MSAR from last year says the average was 510, and a 508 fell between 25th and 50th percentile according to that data. So I didn't think my MCAT was alarmingly low or anything.

If what he said was true, the jump from a 510 average to a 513 is kind of big. I know it's only three points, but when it comes down to how the test is scored, the difference between scoring a 510 and a 513 is technically greater than the difference between scoring a 525 and a 528. I mean it's not like asking applicants to reach a 513 is unreasonable, but to higher the standard from a 510 to a 513 in one application cycle is kinda big.

I think in-state bias definitely came into play a little here for me, though. I did think I was a fairly strong candidate for this school otherwise. But the dean dude on the phone told me that if I reapply, I should expect to retake and hit that 513 average, or probably even a bit higher since expectations are higher for OOS students. I'm also kinda bummed out because, like, if you were gonna turn me down because you thought my MCAT was low... you had already known that from the day my application was complete, so what was the point of inviting me to an interview to turn me down because of my MCAT score? Just playing devil's advocate (and sure, a little salty), but I think the rationale here was sort of lame lol
You have all the right to be salty! Also did not mean to out your score by any means, I know that is personal (my apologies). I just hate that a test score and a GPA is what it boils down to. We are actual real people who, yes, spent a lot of time in the library, but spent time doing other amazing and important things too. That score does not represent your entire application, and I do not appreciate people being rejected for that one and only reason. It’s ridiculous because that is still a stellar score.

I’m also confused how the average was 513 since MSAR showed lower? I wonder if 513 is maybe the average of accepted OOS applicants.

You have all the right to be salty! Also did not mean to out your score by any means, I know that is personal (my apologies). I just hate that a test score and a GPA is what it boils down to. We are actual real people who, yes, spent a lot of time in the library, but spent time doing other amazing and important things too. That score does not represent your entire application, and I do not appreciate people being rejected for that one and only reason. It’s ridiculous because that is still a stellar score.
No no, no worries. I've posted it publicly before haha I guess I don't have anything to hide. And yes it's unfortunate. I feel like a d*ck for saying this but I was kind of annoyed that some applicants on my interview day weren't on their best/professional behavior, because they probably knew they had it in the bag. Certainly not everyone there-- I'm not generalizing. But... when you're casually saying "this is the only school I applied to" or joking around with your college buddies during the interview day, it kinda made me feel like some of the in-state kids do have it pretty easy :/

• Wow
I’m also confused how the average was 513 since MSAR showed lower? I wonder if 513 is maybe the average of accepted OOS applicants.
The dean dude said 513 is the average for this current cycle of people that they're admitting, I believe.

No no, no worries. I've posted it publicly before haha I guess I don't have anything to hide. And yes it's unfortunate. I feel like a d*ck for saying this but I was kind of annoyed that some applicants on my interview day weren't on their best/professional behavior, because they probably knew they had it in the bag. Certainly not everyone there-- I'm not generalizing. But... when you're casually saying "this is the only school I applied to" or joking around with your college buddies during the interview day, it kinda made me feel like some of the in-state kids do have it pretty easy :/
I felt the same way at my interview! It was the only one I had after 8 rejections under my belt and there were students making inappropriate jokes and talking on the tour...interesting you had a similar experience it sounds!

• Sad
do y’all think the majority of decisions left to send out are just WL? I have no idea what to expect and I’m losing hope

This is was my initial concern as well (to your last paragraph). I'm in the same boat as you with the MCAT and I'm sure they'll tell me the same thing. But if you knew the MCAT was too low then why wasn't I screened out earlier? Call me salty too haha.

do y’all think the majority of decisions left to send out are just WL? I have no idea what to expect and I’m losing hope
I don’t know about the majority of decisions left but it seems like there’s not many more acceptances to be given since the Facebook page has over 90 members. I would think there are accepted students who haven’t joined the page yet as well.

This is was my initial concern as well (to your last paragraph). I'm in the same boat as you with the MCAT and I'm sure they'll tell me the same thing. But if you knew the MCAT was too low then why wasn't I screened out earlier? Call me salty too haha.
I feel the same as well. Why interview us if our metrics would be screened out anyway? Salty here too given how much money it took to be there for an interview. I’m OOS.

I don’t know about the majority of decisions left but it seems like there’s not many more acceptances to be given since the Facebook page has over 90 members. I would think there are accepted students who haven’t joined the page yet as well.
I’ve signed up for USPS informed delivery specifically for UNMC, they better come through soon no matter what the decision is

Can you please share/PM your stats? My student is also waiting to hear back?
Who was the dean that you spoke too? Thanks

Hi all- current M1 here (procrastinating). Probably about half of the Facebook page members are current students, keep your hopes up! I know the UNMC waiting process is tough. Also for what is worth I think they told us during O-week that our class average MCAT was a 511 or 512 and we have consistently outperformed classes above us through out the blocks so far. Not sure what that means for admissions but worth noting!

Reactions: 5 users
So this week has to be the week, for those that haven’t heard?

Just received an A! But it's conditional? The letter says they have filled all the spots in the class and that my application will be in an active status until someone withdraws their acceptance and then I get an official letter of acceptance. If I don't, then I automatically get deferred to the class of 2021. Is this a waitlist or a conditional A?

Just received an A! But it's conditional? The letter says they have filled all the spots in the class and that my application will be in an active status until someone withdraws their acceptance and then I get an official letter of acceptance. If I don't, then I automatically get deferred to the class of 2021. Is this a waitlist or a conditional A?

Congrats!!! Do you live in Omaha? Curious, hoping maybe I will receive something today or tomorrow. It sounds like a conditional acceptance, so whether it ends up being this year or next year...you're in! Much better than an a rejection

I think this is good? I think this pretty much means yes, but if you don’t then we will get deferred and accepted to 2021. Someone correct me if I’m wrong?

I assume this means that everyone who hasn’t heard yet has been added to WL if their class has been filled?

Is a wait list different than a conditional acceptance?

Waitlist you could be accepted or rejected, conditional acceptance is like....you're accepted. But it could be class of 2024 or class or 2025 depending on the amount of people that turn down their acceptance. no matter what you're accepted with a conditional acceptance

IS or OOS? I wonder if all acceptances that are sent out from here on will be like this then.

IS or OOS? I wonder if all acceptances that are sent out from here on will be like this then.

I feel like they would send out more general waitlist positions than conditional acceptances, otherwise they would essentially fill the class for next year

Congrats!!! Do you live in Omaha? Curious, hoping maybe I will receive something today or tomorrow. It sounds like a conditional acceptance, so whether it ends up being this year or next year...you're in! Much better than an a rejection
I go to school in Iowa so it was postmarked 3/6