2010-2011 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah! Same reaction. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: Let the suffering continue!

Did anyone get any other email? I have a bad feeling about this. It seems people who were accepted to the waitlist were contacted by email earlier in the month (Such as MandolinMD).

7 days!!! (a la The Ring)

I have a bad feeling too, but I'm just hoping for the best. Have they done this before? I mean...why would they all of a sudden decide to use snailmail? Wouldn't it be more convenient to email all of us?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a bad feeling too, but I'm just hoping for the best. Have they done this before? I mean...why would they all of a sudden decide to use snailmail? Wouldn't it be more convenient to email all of us?

I'm a first year at ULSOM. Until this year, all notifications were done via snail mail.

I'm a first year at ULSOM. Until this year, all notifications were done via snail mail.

Applicants from last year said they received alternate list notifications through email, not snail mail. Some said acceptances were snail mail last year, but not alternate list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say I'm very optimistic. I received the email but since they told us that they had already filled their class, I feel like those who get letters are being rejected.. unless someone has received an acceptance in the past few months? Wouldn't it be reasonable to think those who impressed the committee would be put on waitlist when all the class spots have been offered? Maybe I'm just negative.. this entire experience has not exactly been the best one. :(

I can't say I'm very optimistic. I received the email but since they told us that they had already filled their class, I feel like those who get letters are being rejected.. unless someone has received an acceptance in the past few months? Wouldn't it be reasonable to think those who impressed the committee would be put on waitlist when all the class spots have been offered? Maybe I'm just negative.. this entire experience has not exactly been the best one. :(

I know vampie. Hang in there. I've been waiting since September. Many others are in the same boat. I'm hoping for good news, and I'm hoping the same for everyone else. I wonder how long it will take for the letter to get to Lexington.

I know vampie. Hang in there. I've been waiting since September. Many others are in the same boat. I'm hoping for good news, and I'm hoping the same for everyone else. I wonder how long it will take for the letter to get to Lexington.

I actually think most people receiving notifications in the next couple of days will be for wait-list spots.... since they sent out a wave of rejection mails earlier this month. And if you look at their record from 2010.... 386 interviewed, 256 were accepted, 155 enrolled.... they don't interview a lot of people; and as of 2/1/11, they had already filled their class with 160 students (probably a lil more).... so another ~90 students will be accepted off between now and when the waitlist starts to move - which is expected since they say that at least a 3rd of the wait-list will eventually get in. Just my 2cents...

Good luck to all waiting, I would prefer to look at the glass as half full.

I actually think most people receiving notifications in the next couple of days will be for wait-list spots.... since they sent out a wave of rejection mails earlier this month. And if you look at their record from 2010.... 386 interviewed, 256 were accepted, 155 enrolled.... they don't interview a lot of people; and as of 2/1/11, they had already filled their class with 160 students (probably a lil more).... so another ~90 students will be accepted off between now and when the waitlist starts to move - which is expected since they say that at least a 3rd of the wait-list will eventually get in. Just my 2cents...

Good luck to all waiting, I would prefer to look at the glass as half full.

Thank you for the optimism! We could use some around here. :)

I was going to guess that maybe they expected some seats to come open before they rank the alternate list and were holding on to some people for acceptance w/o having sat on the waitlist.

I was going to guess that maybe they expected some seats to come open before they rank the alternate list and were holding on to some people for acceptance w/o having sat on the waitlist.

I hope that's the case. I'll let you know.

Applicants from last year said they received alternate list notifications through email, not snail mail. Some said acceptances were snail mail last year, but not alternate list.

i stand corrected

Maybe the letter will travel super fast and get here tomorrow.

Anyone get their letter yet??

My friend got a rejection letter last Friday. Could this mean that the letters sent since Tuesday are to the on-hold group?

Hope springs eternal!

Anyone get their letter yet??

My friend got a rejection letter last Friday. Could this mean that the letters sent since Tuesday are to the on-hold group?

Hope springs eternal!

I didn't get my letter. Boo. Maybe tomorrow if it travels by warp speed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing today either, but when I went to check my status, it said this on the login page:

**All notifications have been sent out via traditional letter mail.**
If you have been waitlisted, you will be able to check your rank (top 1/3, middle 1/3, bottom 1/3)
via the check status tab on this site by May 6th.

Got my letter...it's bad news for me this time. Good luck everyone else.

Received my letter today. Alternate list. Does anyone know how they rank the list? For example, does rank depend more on MCAT/GPA or interview scores? Good luck to everyone out there waiting.

"The University of Louisville mailed scholarship awards the latter part of the week of March 21. Local letters should be arriving in the next three to four days with a longer period for out of state mail. As in most years, the number of deserving candidates far exceeds our ability to fund scholarships. If awards are not accepted we will make re-awards as funding permits.

Feel free to contact the Financial Aid Office at 502-852-5187 for information on the Financial Aid Award (FAN) notification timeline."

Why would they send this? Why couldn't they just tell people/not get the hopes of people that aren't going to get scholarhips?

Post if you get anything

"The University of Louisville mailed scholarship awards the latter part of the week of March 21. Local letters should be arriving in the next three to four days with a longer period for out of state mail. As in most years, the number of deserving candidates far exceeds our ability to fund scholarships. If awards are not accepted we will make re-awards as funding permits.

Feel free to contact the Financial Aid Office at 502-852-5187 for information on the Financial Aid Award (FAN) notification timeline."

Why would they send this? Why couldn't they just tell people/not get the hopes of people that aren't going to get scholarhips?

Post if you get anything

I have received the exact same email. I think they send that to everyone to cause us to frantically check our mailboxes everyday for the next fews days :laugh:

Post if you get anything

i'm confused. will everyone get a letter regardless of whether or not they are awarded a scholarship? or is it only people who are getting scholarships? in which case, how will we know if we DON'T get one???

:( Any luck with any other schools?

Oh, not really. Still waiting on a few. I think I was too honest about my medical condition, but I believe that most of my interviewers, especially those who are in that particular field, were most curious as to my treatment, etc. I was asked a lot of questions, and was very forthcoming, but in the end, I believe it may have affected me negatively. Time to start getting things together for reapplication.

Does anybody knows what takes place at the housing seminars?

i'm confused. will everyone get a letter regardless of whether or not they are awarded a scholarship? or is it only people who are getting scholarships? in which case, how will we know if we DON'T get one???

I'm wondering this as well. I got the impression that everyone would get a letter regardless, but perhaps this isn't correct?

My letter came in the mail today. I live in Virginia, not that far. It was dated the 24th NOT the 22nd. Anyway, waitlisted. Said it'll be ranked and we'll find out our rank on May 6th.

I'm wondering this as well. I got the impression that everyone would get a letter regardless, but perhaps this isn't correct?

If you don't get anything in a week or so, I would just call the phone number provided to ask whether you received a scholarship or not.

I'm out of state and haven't gotten a letter yet :xf:

My letter came in the mail today. I live in Virginia, not that far. It was dated the 24th NOT the 22nd. Anyway, waitlisted. Said it'll be ranked and we'll find out our rank on May 6th.

Also put on Alternate list.... my letter just came in today (Texas)... May 6th can't come soon enough.. good luck guys.

I am sorry I meant Housing Day on May 21st and June 25th. Does anybody knows what happens that day?

oh i have no idea... how did you find out about housing day? i must have missed something here, someone fill me in! :confused:

also have not gotten any letters about scholarship or lack thereof... ?_?

This is from the Blackboard page:

Housing Information

The Office of Medical Student Affairs will host two Housing Day's for the Class of 2015. The tentative dates for Housing Day are:
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Each session will begin at 9:30am. Location and additional details are to come. Please visit the Housing Info. tab on the left for information, apartments, independent listings, and listings from agents.

This is from the Blackboard page:

Housing Information

The Office of Medical Student Affairs will host two Housing Day's for the Class of 2015. The tentative dates for Housing Day are:
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Each session will begin at 9:30am. Location and additional details are to come. Please visit the Housing Info. tab on the left for information, apartments, independent listings, and listings from agents.

My understanding of the "housing days" are that they will just provide an official time and place for students looking for roommates to meet... they may have some sort of presentation on areas of town/popular complexes, or maybe even employees of some of these complexes... But i took it to not really be that big of a deal based on what they said at the pre-orientation(I can't remember what they said, thats just the feeling I got).

I am having trouble setting up my CardMail Account. Is anybody else having the same problem?

Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those who are still waiting for news...before you know it, your first year will be almost over and you'll be wondering how time flew by so fast.

For those of you who are offered the opportunity to participate in the Pre-Matriculation Program, go for it. It will take a load off during the first round of tests in the fall.

anyone else get any word on scholarships yet? i live in louisville and i haven't heard anything... guess that means no $ for me.

anyone else get any word on scholarships yet? i live in louisville and i haven't heard anything... guess that means no $ for me.

I hope that's not the case, 'cause I'm in Louisville and haven't gotten anything either. :scared:. Any current students that can shed some light on it? Do they send out letters to everyone regardless, or only to students who got some sort of scholarship?

I hope that's not the case, 'cause I'm in Louisville and haven't gotten anything either. :scared:. Any current students that can shed some light on it? Do they send out letters to everyone regardless, or only to students who got some sort of scholarship?

i didn't get any notice about scholarship money, nor did i receive any. though, i only know of 3 people in my class who are on some type of scholarship. on the other hand, no one really talks about it. so, maybe, scholarship kids are a silent majority. my impression has always been that there isn't a great deal of money available for scholarships in medical school. but, again, how would i know? lol

I've received no notifications of any kind. I'm in Nashville. I wasn't exactly expecting anything, but I thought maybe I had a shot. Sounds to me like there are some people who expected money who haven't gotten any yet.

I've received no notifications of any kind. I'm in Nashville. I wasn't exactly expecting anything, but I thought maybe I had a shot. Sounds to me like there are some people who expected money who haven't gotten any yet.

I received the email a few weeks back saying they were sending out scholarship notifications. Did this email go to everyone?
Plus, will everyone get at least a letter in the mail or should we all just give up hope if we haven't received anything by now.
Either way, I'm SUPER excited about Louisville next year and am just waiting out my time in Florida finishing up my undergrad degree.
Who is going to one of the Housing Days? Anybody have any ideas where they are thinking of living?

I received the email a few weeks back saying they were sending out scholarship notifications. Did this email go to everyone?
Plus, will everyone get at least a letter in the mail or should we all just give up hope if we haven't received anything by now.
Either way, I'm SUPER excited about Louisville next year and am just waiting out my time in Florida finishing up my undergrad degree.
Who is going to one of the Housing Days? Anybody have any ideas where they are thinking of living?

yeah, i think everyone got that email, but unsure as to whether or not we will all get letters saying whether we got a scholarship or not, or if the letters are just going to people who did get scholarships.

enjoy your time in florida while it lasts! i miss my undergrad days there + the amazing weather, but am excited to start med school nonetheless!

My understanding of the "housing days" are that they will just provide an official time and place for students looking for roommates to meet... they may have some sort of presentation on areas of town/popular complexes, or maybe even employees of some of these complexes... But i took it to not really be that big of a deal based on what they said at the pre-orientation(I can't remember what they said, thats just the feeling I got).

Hey guys, I'm a 2nd year at UofL. As I recall, "housing days" are a day they take you around to a few apartment complexes that are popular among med students. Of course, it also gives you the chance to meet other students looking for housing that may also be looking for roommates, so that's a plus. Crescent Centre is a close, popular choice though it is a little expensive for how small the places are. River Oak and anything on Mellwoood are very popular and pretty nice. The Highlands are ridiculously cool if you can find a good deal on a place. Really close to bars, shops, etc.

I will say that the people I knew that lived in Phoenix Place (which is right next to the school's parking garage) gave nothing but horrible reviews about it. Like, robbery and assault kind of negative reviews. Maybe things have gotten better in the year that people moved away from there, but that might be worth checking up on.

Hey guys, I'm a 2nd year at UofL. As I recall, "housing days" are a day they take you around to a few apartment complexes that are popular among med students. Of course, it also gives you the chance to meet other students looking for housing that may also be looking for roommates, so that's a plus. Crescent Centre is a close, popular choice though it is a little expensive for how small the places are. River Oak and anything on Mellwoood are very popular and pretty nice. The Highlands are ridiculously cool if you can find a good deal on a place. Really close to bars, shops, etc.

I will say that the people I knew that lived in Phoenix Place (which is right next to the school's parking garage) gave nothing but horrible reviews about it. Like, robbery and assault kind of negative reviews. Maybe things have gotten better in the year that people moved away from there, but that might be worth checking up on.

I haven't heard any negative reviews this year. However, I also haven't asked anyone about it since Christmas. It's possible that their opinions have changed.

Last edited:
I haven't heard any negative reviews this year. However, I also haven't asked anyone about it since Christmas. It's possible that their opinions have changed.

It's possible it's gotten better. There were some shady incidents there first semester of first year and several people left because of them. Hopefully they've done something about the security, because it would be a really convenient place to live.

I heard a rumor that U of L is switching to the 8-12 class schedule next year. I had not heard about this at either my interview or the financial aid meeting. I would have expected them to let us know, but anyways has anyone else heard about any schedule change for next year?

that would be SO great if it were true! as for me, this is the first i've heard of it.

I heard a rumor that U of L is switching to the 8-12 class schedule next year. I had not heard about this at either my interview or the financial aid meeting. I would have expected them to let us know, but anyways has anyone else heard about any schedule change for next year?

-this is very cruel of you if this is just a rumor...

Status
Not open for further replies.