2010-2011 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if anyone got an actual decision yesterday. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out if someone belongs on a waitlist or not, right? Ugh.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I recall on the interview they said before they make a waitlist or over accept seats they wait until Febuary to estimate how many people are actually coming to UofL based on their other acceptances. It could be a good thing for people waitng because that means you were not rejected. I am not sure if they rejected anybody after they had an interview yet.

I hope this helps:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
you guys think it's worth going to the orientation? I'm local to Louisville and have good knowledge of the school. I would go but have conflicting plans.
anyone bringing family?

anyone have an idea of what the dress code is for the orientation on Saturday?

I called yesterday and was told that the dress code was comfortable, but nice. Khakis and a button-up with loafers or something to that effect.

you guys think it's worth going to the orientation? I'm local to Louisville and have good knowledge of the school. I would go but have conflicting plans.
anyone bringing family?

Reasons to go:
- If you still aren't sure if you'll be choosing UofL, then I'd go to learn even more/talk to current students/ask questions/get a better feel of the school
- If you are sure you are going to UofL, then you could go to meet your future classmates

I'm not bringing family.

I hate beating this issue to death, and I am not able to go to the orientation I have to work. Can someone asks about the scholarships please? I just want to stop checking my mail if they were sent out already, or if there is no money due to the economy.

Thanks I hope everyone who attends has a good time.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
The official word on scholarships (for those who didn't attend pre-orientation) is that there have been none awarded at this point. This is due to the endowment being low because of the financial downturn. They're trying to decide what the best plan is and should have an idea by mid March from the sounds of it.

The official word on scholarships (for those who didn't attend pre-orientation) is that there have been none awarded at this point. This is due to the endowment being low because of the financial downturn. They're trying to decide what the best plan is and should have an idea by mid March from the sounds of it.

Thanks alot for the info. Did alot of students show up?

Thanks alot for the info. Did alot of students show up?

I don't have exact numbers, but there were a lot more students there than I was expecting. Also for anyone interested, this is the class profile thus far (or at least what I remember of it):

Average MCAT: 10.14
Average GPA: 3.69
Age Range: 19-51
47% Women
13 URMs (I think)

:)
I don't have exact numbers, but there were a lot more students there than I was expecting. Also for anyone interested, this is the class profile thus far (or at least what I remember of it):

47% Women
13 URMs (I think)
OMG!!!!! This is great OUR class seems so diverse. I am so excited.

Again thanks for the info. I wish I could have came

47% Women
13 URMs (I think)

How about the fact that we have Harvard, Yale, Brown, and Vanderbilt alumni. Students from 29 different states. Also, when I did my FAFSA, they told me that scholarships for first years would be given out in April.

47% Women
13 URMs (I think)
Sounds like a strong and diverse class.

47% Women
13 URMs (I think)

wait, 19? that seems really young. they must have skipped some grades or something. thats great for them, but i hope that they have the maturity to handle med school. im sure it will be fine. it just took me off guard.

47% Women
13 URMs (I think)

51?!?! Isn't that a little late in life to start a career in medicine? Any way, does anyone know what the average age is?

My wife and I were trying to figure out the 19 one. Maybe an international student that went through a prep program rather than the typical high school to college path?

51?!?! Isn't that a little late in life to start a career in medicine? Any way, does anyone know what the average age is?

It's never too late!

They said there are 10 non-traditional students (over age 26) but they did not give an average age of the class.

My wife and I were trying to figure out the 19 one. Maybe an international student that went through a prep program rather than the typical high school to college path?

Could be a former WKU academy student with a spring or summer birthday...

16-17: Freshman in college / junior in HS
17-18: Sophomore in college / senior in HS
18-19: Junior in college
19-20: Senior in college

(*cough cough* check out the mdapp for the user whose avatar is a dinosaur.)

Could be a former WKU academy student with a spring or summer birthday...

16-17: Freshman in college / junior in HS
17-18: Sophomore in college / senior in HS
18-19: Junior in college
19-20: Senior in college

(*cough cough* check out the mdapp for the user whose avatar is a dinosaur.)

pokerface.jpeg

I wonder when those of on "Hold" status will be updated.

I am really hoping to hear some news soon.

It's never too late!

They said there are 10 non-traditional students (over age 26) but they did not give an average age of the class.

Did they mention how many people have advanced degrees?

Do these numbers come from those that have already matriculated or those that received acceptances? I don't think a waitlist has been formed yet.

Do these numbers come from those that have already matriculated or those that received acceptances? I don't think a waitlist has been formed yet.

Well seeing how they don't know who will matriculate its just who has been accepted... I think the numbers will probably fall down to about where they have been in years past after waitlist acceptances but impressive none the less.

Also, to those who are still waiting to hear, I would estimate there were probably about 100 accepted students at the pre-orientation, and assuming around 2/3rds of accepted students could make it that would be pretty close to a full class at this point.

So if you haven't heard yet I would think you are mostly looking at a waitlist, but the waitlist has moved alot in the past so don't give up hope.

I hope will keep my fingers crossed hoping that everyone hears something GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

The University of Louisville School of Medicine Admissions Committee met yesterday and no admissions offers were extended. During our final meetings in March we will focus on selecting candidates for our wait list, denial and a limited number of admissions. All interviewed candidates (including those presently on hold) can expect one of the above decisions by March 31.

The University of Louisville School of Medicine Admissions Committee met yesterday and no admissions offers were extended. During our final meetings in March we will focus on selecting candidates for our wait list, denial and a limited number of admissions. All interviewed candidates (including those presently on hold) can expect one of the above decisions by March 31.

Ughhh. More waiting. :thumbdown: The awful thing is that people on hold could still be waiting only to be rejected!! :scared:

Hopefully currently accepted people not intending to go to U of L will notify admissions sooner rather than later.

Hang in there people in limbo!! Any good coping mechanisms?

Ughhh. More waiting. :thumbdown: The awful thing is that people on hold could still be waiting only to be rejected!! :scared:

Hopefully currently accepted people not intending to go to U of L will notify admissions sooner rather than later.

Hang in there people in limbo!! Any good coping mechanisms?

I know, why couldn't they have decided that last time? :mad: They ought to just go ahead and waitlist/reject people so we all have a better idea of where we're at.

As for coping mechanisms, grad school keeps me (more than) busy enough to take waiting on med schools off my mind for a while. Out of curiosity, of those also in limbo, are you in the running for any other schools or is UL your favorite?

I have been waiting with no decision since October. I gave up hope; I bet their going to waitlist me. Its ok though Im going to Indiana. Good luck to those waiting. I dont find it fair that they keep on putting ppl off, causes a lot of anxiety.

I have been waiting with no decision since October. I gave up hope; I bet their going to waitlist me. Its ok though Im going to Indiana. Good luck to those waiting. I dont find it fair that they keep on putting ppl off, causes a lot of anxiety.

In that case, you should tell them that you are no longer interested so it will be easier for those of us still waiting.

Maybe now is a good time to write letters of intent.

Last edited:
GRAMMAR POLICE! GRAMMAR POLICE!

......ahh, forget it.

Wow they are still sending invites....The interview was casual, and I love the feel of the UofL town. I wish you luck :xf:

Well, it's almost end of Feb, and no invite :bang: ... not even a reject, just SILENCE. Is there any hope at all????

How about the fact that we have Harvard, Yale, Brown, and Vanderbilt alumni. Students from 29 different states. Also, when I did my FAFSA, they told me that scholarships for first years would be given out in April.

When do you guys think the scholarship decisions will be mailed out?

When do you guys think the scholarship decisions will be mailed out?

I dont know the exact date they find out(I wanna say I read March 15th around here somewhere), but I would guess after they know who has multiple acceptances and where those acceptances are to, they will be making some scholarship offers. If aid is limited(which im sure it is always limited even when the endowment isnt down), they will probably offer people they really want and think they can lure away from UK or other schools.

Aren't most applicants committed to a single school by the acceptance deadline of March 15th? By waiting so late it seems like maybe they are trying not to use scholarships as a bargaining tool, but instead give them to the people who are fully committed to UL. But, who knows?

Aren't most applicants committed to a single school by the acceptance deadline of March 15th? By waiting so late it seems like maybe they are trying not to use scholarships as a bargaining tool, but instead give them to the people who are fully committed to UL. But, who knows?

That deadline is May 15th, not March.

Status
Not open for further replies.