2009-2010 Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, exactly, I was wondering if MD/PhD students, JAMP students, and PPC students were included in that figure (13 total from these 3 categories). If not, 22 acceptances from the waitlist is quite a few.

I could punch a baby.

Members don't see this ad.

I think 'I could punch a baby.' translates to hurry up and let us know about some acceptances... I could be wrong though.

Maybe TexasPKP just really likes punching babies....

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, yeah, maybe :laugh: I was just confused as to why "JAMP students" was highlighted from my quote lol.

Lol, yeah, maybe :laugh: I was just confused as to why "JAMP students" was highlighted from my quote lol.

Yep, whoole new meaning... haha. gotcha. :)

I actually interviewed on the same day as a guy in the JAMP program... I think there are only 8 this year--or maybe there were 8 from his UG? Does every school in Tx have JAMP students? I wouldn't know--I went to UG out of state... But, I guess they have a pretty sweet deal.. He interviewed at every med school in Tx... must be nice!

Yep, whoole new meaning... haha. gotcha. :)

I actually interviewed on the same day as a guy in the JAMP program... I think there are only 8 this year--or maybe there were 8 from his UG? Does every school in Tx have JAMP students? I wouldn't know--I went to UG out of state... But, I guess they have a pretty sweet deal.. He interviewed at every med school in Tx... must be nice!

There are definitely moer than 8 total...I go to UT and I think there are AT LEAST 8 at UT alone. There are JAMP students at every school in TX pretty much...there's even 1 or 2 at Rice.

I was just expressing my general sentiments towards JAMP. Thats what it could cause me to.

Yeah, there's a few JAMP students from several schools in Texas. I believe they are guaranteed interviews from every medical school in Texas except for Baylor and El Paso. Also, their interviews can take place at any time during the cycle (before pre-match, after pre-match, etc.), and they aren't guaranteed admission any where. They do have to maintain at least a 3.5 GPA every year to stay in the program though.

lol someone call the admissions office and ask them what is taking so long!

Yeah, there's a few JAMP students from several schools in Texas. I believe they are guaranteed interviews from every medical school in Texas except for Baylor and El Paso. Also, their interviews can take place at any time during the cycle (before pre-match, after pre-match, etc.), and they aren't guaranteed admission any where. They do have to maintain at least a 3.5 GPA every year to stay in the program though.

I believe it's only a 3.25, and a 23 MCAT

^^ That's a joke. An absolutely joke.

I am going to hunt down Filo and demand some e-mails be sent out. Who's with me?

Start the movement!

I'm with you if my name is his acceptance list! Otherwise, I'm not sure I am emotionally prepared to wait for the third batch!

As far as JAMP'ers go I concur with TexasPKP completely.

And to clarify, if JAMP students are able to "achieve" the minimum MCAT and GPA required, they are guaranteed acceptance to one of the Texas schools. Not necessarily any specific one, but they are assured an M.D. nonetheless. Absurd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay, I didn't realize it was 3.25 GPA and guaranteed admission, that's interesting. But apparently on the TMDSAS website it says that MD/PhD applicants and assured acceptance programs (JAMP, PPC) are not included in the match. So I guess this confirms that 22 were accepted from the waitlist last year.

If it says that MD/Phd and assured admissions applicants are not included in the match (128 matched according to the stats sheet) then it means that MD/PhDs and assured admissions applicants are in that 22 number, along with waitlist people.

So, per the aforementioned stats sheet, something like 14 MD/Phd people and who knows how many JAMP people and other assured admission applicants are in that number. So using this as a model, only a handful--8 or less--were taken from the waitlist.

And Doc-
I don't have anything against JAMP people per se--if I had qualified I would have jumped at the opportunity to be guaranteed admittance to med school--I'm just upset that a program exists that gives preference to an applicant simply because of race or socioeconomic status instead of merit.

Indeed, it probably wouldn’t bother me half as much if they required JAMPers to have minimum stats greater than or at least equal to regular decision matriculates instead of the demonstrably lower stats they currently require. Just saying.

Oh okay, I didn't realize it was 3.25 GPA and guaranteed admission, that's interesting. But apparently on the TMDSAS website it says that MD/PhD applicants and assured acceptance programs (JAMP, PPC) are not included in the match. So I guess this confirms that 22 were accepted from the waitlist last year.

JAMPers participate in a match, just not the Feb 1 match. I believe that their match is in January.

Also, keep in mind that just because their minumum requirements are low, doesn't necessarily mean that all of them are that low. That just means that they can't score below those minimums otherwise they jeopardize their admissions. Alot of JAMPers could easily be as competitive as regular applicants. After all, they do get admitted into JAMP their freshman year.

Having said that, if they score below those minimums they can still be accepted on a 'case by case' basis.

I'm not a JAMPer, it wasn't around when I started or even finished school but when I found out about it, I was curious and looked up the info.

Sensing a lot of hate for the JAMP program. Interestingly, one of my interviewers (MSII) at A&M is a JAMPer. Seems to be doing okay for himself...

One of my interviewers was also an MS-II JAMPer. He was awesome!

Last edited:
Cher25, ya he was awesome! I'm assuming it was the same guy, can't be too many MSII JAMPers giving interviews up there.

Hemo, not attacking your comments at all. I just think some people have this preconceived notion that JAMP is all about race. I just find it ironic because my interviewer was a white country guy.

Personally, I think it is a great program because I know first hand socioeconomic status can limit one's options. A minimum 23MCAT with no section below a 7 and 3.25 GPA doesn't set the bar THAT low. Technically, I wouldn't have even made it by JAMP standards due to my 6 in verbal!

Hi everybody!

I've been lurking around the Student Doctor Forums for a while now. I've been reading this thread to try to see when A&M will release its next batch of prematch offers, but my persistent lurking seems creepy somehow, so I thought I'd join the fun!

I interviewed in mid-August, and have been biting my nails since, hoping to get in to A&M. I really liked the school - seems like a great place to go. Congrats to everyone who has prematched here! Everyone else - good luck!

-Jeff

If it says that MD/Phd and assured admissions applicants are not included in the match (128 matched according to the stats sheet) then it means that MD/PhDs and assured admissions applicants are in that 22 number, along with waitlist people.

So, per the aforementioned stats sheet, something like 14 MD/Phd people and who knows how many JAMP people and other assured admission applicants are in that number. So using this as a model, only a handful--8 or less--were taken from the waitlist.

Right of course, sorry, they are not included, so they are included in the remaining 22. But remember that 14 MD/PhD were accepted...only 3 actually matriculated. Along with 6 PPC and and 4 JAMPers. So that means 9 were accepted from the waitlist...not as high as 22, but still not bad I guess.

And I have nothing at all against JAMPers. A couple of my good friends are in the JAMP program, and I also had looked into it, but unfortunately did not qualify. Now, PPC...those guys have it easy. Lol jk :D

Cher25, ya he was awesome! I'm assuming it was the same guy, can't be too many MSII JAMPers giving interviews up there.

Hemo, not attacking your comments at all. I just think some people have this preconceived notion that JAMP is all about race. I just find it ironic because my interviewer was a white country guy.

Personally, I think it is a great program because I know first hand socioeconomic status can limit one's options. A minimum 23MCAT with no section below a 7 and 3.25 GPA doesn't set the bar THAT low. Technically, I wouldn't have even made it by JAMP standards due to my 6 in verbal!

Wow. Same guy also interviewed me. Nice guy.

Certainly, there will be no acceptances sent out today, since the medical school is conducting a round of interviews, right? Uggh!!

What's PPC?:confused:

Partnership in Primary Care. It's a program at Texas A&M which was made to increase the amount of primary care physicians in rural areas. Students who apply have to be from medically underrepresented areas (but honestly, as long as your not from Dallas, Houston, San Antonio you can get in) and apply during their last year of high school or first year of college. They have to maintain a 3.25 at the end of their first year, and a 3.5 after that. They are guaranteed into Texas A&M medical school after graduation, and are not required to take the MCAT. They're also set up with clinical/shadowing opportunities throughout their undergraduate career. Also, if they apply to other medical schools, their guaranteed seat is taken away, but they can still be accepted by Texas A&M. Mostly everyone I know in this program is pretty legit though, and would most likely receive multiple medical school acceptances.

Also, I think it's safe to assume that they won't be sending out acceptances today, since they are conducting interviews. And I wouldn't expect them to send any out tomorrow either, since that's when they meet to rank the interviewees...it would make sense to just include those interviewees in the next batch of offers.

This is getting real old. Might as well stop waiting and let it be at this point.

so A&M tells everyone to expect a second batch of acceptances around the beginning of December and they do not send any (as far as I can tell)...what a sick joke!

Also, I think it's safe to assume that they won't be sending out acceptances today, since they are conducting interviews. And I wouldn't expect them to send any out tomorrow either, since that's when they meet to rank the interviewees...it would make sense to just include those interviewees in the next batch of offers.

I'm not so sure, I interviewed at UTSA the same day they gave out 2nd batch of prematch offers (Nov 23rd) but I'm sure we weren't included in that batch. So I wouldn't automatically discount tomorrow-- just to give you some neurotic hope for tommorrow :) As someone was saying earlier, the logistics of giving two more batches out before the end of this year is getting tight.

That's true, who knows how exactly this process works. I just remember hearing two sets of dates for when offers would be sent - "mid-december", or December 21st. So any time next week, December 14-18, or at latest the Monday after, December 21st, sounds like a reasonable estimate. But tomorrow would be nice too :)

Also it seems reasonable that in addition to ranking today's interviewees, they could also decide upon the 2nd batch offers. Perhaps a long Friday?

Could be. The reason I didn't think it would be tomorrow was because I was told specifically by some one on admissions that no offers would be sent this week, so from Monday itself, I wasn't expecting anything this week..

Hey Guyz, I interviewed yesterday and just to clarify Filo said there wont be any pre-match offers until after the last date of Interview which is Dec 17th (so Im guessing only 2 batches) Good Luck and just be on the look out starting next week because they can always change their minds :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cool, thanks for the information. That would probably mean that December 21st is the date, which is what I've been thinking all along. Everyone sit tight until then and hopefully we all get some good news :thumbup:

Hey Guyz, I interviewed yesterday and just to clarify Filo said there wont be any pre-match offers until after the last date of Interview which is Dec 17th (so Im guessing only 2 batches) Good Luck and just be on the look out starting next week because they can always change their minds :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I was there too yesterday :) They expect to give out about 100 more offers to the people that have interviewed since Nov 13, after the last interview date as kingM said.

:xf:

I was there too yesterday :) They expect to give out about 100 more offers to the people that have interviewed since Nov 13, after the last interview date as kingM said.

:xf:

I am pretty sure with the offers they will be extending that everyone who interviewed will be considered and not just those that have interviewed since Nov. 13. They wouldn't extend so many offers to such a limited pool of interviewees.

I am pretty sure with the offers they will be extending that everyone who interviewed will be considered and not just those that have interviewed since Nov. 13. They wouldn't extend so many offers to such a limited pool of interviewees.

It is entirely possible that everyone is considered. I didn't know exactly how to interpret what Filo said about that, but it was right before they rushed us off to the gross anatomy lab tour and I got distracted by lots of fun looking cross sections and forgot to ask for clarification.. :laugh:

Actually I take back what I said ...

If they interview about 20 weeks, and give out 400 pre-match acceptances approximately (and 300 have already gone out), then the 5 weeks between Nov 13 - Dec 17 should get roughly 1/4th of the acceptances... or 100 acceptances.

However, again, I wasn't sure when I heard him say it :) Just exploring the possibility.

And the interviewed about 200+ in this period. They aim to interview 800. All the math makes sense in my head.

It is entirely possible that everyone is considered. I didn't know exactly how to interpret what Filo said about that, but it was right before they rushed us off to the gross anatomy lab tour and I got distracted by lots of fun looking cross sections and forgot to ask for clarification.. :laugh:

It actually sounded like Filo said that they would only consider the recent interviewees(Nov and Dec-I might email him to clarify), however, Im pretty sure they will review the interviewees from the whole interview season.

I did not realize that they sent out 300 acceptances in the first batch. If thats the case then FML. I should have gotten in. (Lol not trying to be bitter or anything)

I'm 100% positive that the offers that are extended can include anyone regardless of when they interviewed; I had this clarified by Filo himself. The reason being that they rank all of their interviewees into one list, as each interview progresses. So some one who interviewed before November 13th could be ranked higher on their list than some one who interviewed after, and thus more deserving of an offer of acceptance.

Sorry to be off topic but I'm a first year at TAMHSC COM (College Station campus) right now, and I'm trying my best to avoid studying for our head and neck final. I thought I'd add some input about acceptances based on my experiences last year, which is not to say it will be the same this year.

My understanding, which I believe has already been stated, is that A&M participates heavily in the pre-match period, and that generates the majority of those who matriculate. If I remember correctly there were 3 waves of roughly equal amounts of offers, although I don’t remember the actual dates I think they gave out the last prematch offers in mid December. It seems like a bunch of people in my class had a semester off due to prematching. There also seemed to be a significant amount of movement on the waitlist so definitely don’t give up hope, if you get an interview you have a real chance of making it in. Looking at the stats they interview seven or eight hundred people and end up with 150-170, but many of those people will go to other schools based on personal preference. I’d like to think if you interview your real chances are 1:2 or better.

When I interviewed (at the CS campus) it seemed pretty laid back but I think that is pretty variable based on who you get, so if you haven’t interviewed yet just be yourself and try to enjoy it. I interviewed in September so I’m not really sure how late the interviews run. Also as previously mentioned come early to get better parking as the business school is right down the street and the parking lot adjacent to the Reynolds building fills pretty fast. You may also consider getting a cab.
If there are any other questions I can answer about A&M or College Station, I’m far from an expert, but I’ll do my best to try. Best of luck to all of you, hopefully I’ll see some of you here in BCS next fall.

I did not realize that they sent out 300 acceptances in the first batch. If thats the case then FML. I should have gotten in. (Lol not trying to be bitter or anything)

Yeah, it kind of blew my mind too. I didn't know they gave so many out, but I actually interviewed at another Texas school on the first day of the pre-match and they made an announcement during lunch that they'd send 300-400 prematchs earlier that day... :eek:

...needless to say, it was a bit disheartening to hear that and go interview, but what can you do? There's always the match! :xf::xf:

I'm 100% positive that the offers that are extended can include anyone regardless of when they interviewed; I had this clarified by Filo himself. The reason being that they rank all of their interviewees into one list, as each interview progresses. So some one who interviewed before November 13th could be ranked higher on their list than some one who interviewed after, and thus more deserving of an offer of acceptance.

Best wishes to everyone who has interviewed then!! :D It really was a nice, low-key day... everyone was so helpful and caring!

Yeah, the only bad thing for students who interviewed before November 13th is that if we weren't ranked in the top 300 (or however many offers were sent out in the first batch) after the first 600 interviews, what is the likelihood of us being in the top 100 when compared to the 200 students who interviewed after November 13th? Basically, the only way that students who interviewed before November 13th could receive an offer is if they just barely missed the cut for the first round (for example ranked 301-330 or so).

Also, thanks for the info, igtloap. Has anyone considered the possibility that they might be looking to extend more offers during the match this year? I know that in years past they have filled up most of their spots during the pre-match...but it sounds like they have also normally had three rounds of pre-match offers, where as this year they are setting it up for only 2. Just a thought.

It seems like a bunch of people in my class had a semester off due to prematching. There also seemed to be a significant amount of movement on the waitlist so definitely don't give up hope, if you get an interview you have a real chance of making it in. Looking at the stats they interview seven or eight hundred people and end up with 150-170, but many of those people will go to other schools based on personal preference. I'd like to think if you interview your real chances are 1:2 or better.

Thanks for the info...Either way, Good Luck to everyone. Filo did say that last year they accepted about 50-60 people off the wait list when it started moving. (Dr Hiner can you confirm he said this?) I think we all have a good chance :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Filo did say that last year they accepted about 50-60 people off the wait list when it started moving. (Dr Hiner can you confirm he said this?) I think we all have a good chance :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I can't remember the exact numbers but I think he said like 10-15% maybe? I know he said 12% a few times. My gut says it probably wasn't that much, but then again, I really don't remember :p

The 1:2 ratio mentioned by someone else is legit though. From the interview packet, one stats sheet says ~400 acceptances from ~800 interviews.

Yeah, the only bad thing for students who interviewed before November 13th is that if we weren't ranked in the top 300 (or however many offers were sent out in the first batch) after the first 600 interviews, what is the likelihood of us being in the top 100 when compared to the 200 students who interviewed after November 13th? Basically, the only way that students who interviewed before November 13th could receive an offer is if they just barely missed the cut for the first round (for example ranked 301-330 or so).

That's a good point... and a hopeful point for us late interviewees wigging out because we're scared that we're just interviewing for waitlist spots.

A&M has a history of using prematch heavily, but that doesn't mean they won't use match more this year. To me there seemed to be more people talking about getting accepted to A&M this time last year. That aspect is total speculation at this point but there is no doubt that many people with high stats and/or good luck will often hold on to multiple offers until match or their out of state results come in. I guess what I'm saying is that there are plenty of seats to still be filled between prematch, match, and waitlist.

Also I know quite a few people who made it in earlier than me but had later interview dates. No one is out of the game yet, and I really would try to not worry about the waitlist until match is over.

A&M has a history of using prematch heavily, but that doesn't mean they won't use match more this year. To me there seemed to be more people talking about getting accepted to A&M this time last year. That aspect is total speculation at this point but there is no doubt that many people with high stats and/or good luck will often hold on to multiple offers until match or their out of state results come in. I guess what I'm saying is that there are plenty of seats to still be filled between prematch, match, and waitlist.

Also I know quite a few people who made it in earlier than me but had later interview dates. No one is out of the game yet, and I really would try to not worry about the waitlist until match is over.

Thanks for the hope...Regardless when you interviewed, I think we all have a good chance of getting accepted (1:2 Ration seems accurate:)) Good Luck and I cant wait till after the 17th :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah, I can definitely see there being a lot of movement on the waitlist. The reason being, that in all honesty, most Texas medical schools are "ranked" above A&M, which is a good thing, for admissions purposes anyways. Students who matched into A&M who later on are accepted off of the waitlist for other Texas schools (UTSW, UTMB, UT Houston, San Antonio) would most likely take those offers over A&M. This in turn would free up more open seats for students waitlisted at A&M :)

Yeah, I can definitely see there being a lot of movement on the waitlist. The reason being, that in all honesty, most Texas medical schools are "ranked" above A&M, which is a good thing, for admissions purposes anyways. Students who matched into A&M who later on are accepted off of the waitlist for other Texas schools (UTSW, UTMB, UT Houston, San Antonio) would most likely take those offers over A&M. This in turn would free up more open seats for students waitlisted at A&M :)

I believe this to be true and the good news is that honestly all the schools in Texas are great schools and, in my opinion an honor to attend. When I got in, I had a choice between A&M and an expensive private school out of state. I talked to as many residents and younger attendings as I could and the consensus seemed to be that your success in medical school will mostly be contingent on some combination of your work ethic, natural talent, and luck, not so much the school itself. How much debt you will have when you graduate should be a huge consideration.

I'm not saying pedigree has no value, but that in the end you'll be a lot happier if you go to a school where you like the environment, city, and intangibles. I've had an awesome time at A&M and don't regret coming here for a second.

So kill your interviews if you haven't yet and with any luck I'll meet you guys/gals next July.

Status
Not open for further replies.