2009-2010 Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if i were to put a&m at the top of my ranking now, would that help me get pre-matched in this 2nd batch? do they look at that??

No, they won't even see it...even during the match period, the schools themselves won't see where you rank them...they submit a ranked list of all of their applicants, which is then matched against the ranking which each of their interviewees gives them.

Members don't see this ad.

I really need to stop checking this obsessively. This is bad for my health.

For real. LOL, every time someone pre-matches, I die a tiny bit inside :laugh: Today, UTMB pre-matches are what makes me sad because nothing to speak of is happening on the A&M thread... :rolleyes:

So here's a funny story about my lack of pre-matches affecting my subconscious:

This morning right before I woke up, I was having the most lovely and realistic dream of waking up, checking my email and finding a pre-match offer to A&M :love:

In my dream, I was telling my husband and dad and friends about how the ranking goes in the match, and how no matter how I ranked the schools, I would still hold onto my dearly loved pre-match offer.

It was so real that I truly believed it for half a second when I woke up. :rolleyes:

And then I realized... there was no way it could be true.

...I hadn't posted anything on SDN about my acceptance in the dream! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
So here's a funny story about my lack of pre-matches affecting my subconscious:

This morning right before I woke up, I was having the most lovely and realistic dream of waking up, checking my email and finding a pre-match offer to A&M :love:

In my dream, I was telling my husband and dad and friends about how the ranking goes in the match, and how no matter how I ranked the schools, I would still hold onto my dearly loved pre-match offer.

It was so real that I truly believed it for half a second when I woke up. :rolleyes:

And then I realized... there was no way it could be true.

...I hadn't posted anything on SDN about my acceptance in the dream! :laugh:

Hope your dream comes true!:xf:

I am already planning on register for another MCAT and study for it.......

Hope your dream comes true!:xf:

I am already planning on register for another MCAT and study for it.......

I hope so too!

And yeah, as much as I don't want to, I've already charted out my next study plan to retake the MCAT if need be...

But I'm still staying hopeful! :luck:

Hey, I know there has been some speculation/confusion as to when A&M will send out more pre-matches. I interviewed today, and Filo said that they will be meeting tomorrow/Monday, and giving out their second and final big pre-match for sure on the 21st. It will include both people who interviewed prior to November 16th and people who have interviewed since then.

Hope that lets some people relax a little and maybe only check their email 5 times instead of 15 tomorrow :laugh:

Good luck everybody, and good luck to the M1's on your final tomorrow! :luck:

EDIT: Forgot- he said they would be giving out either 100 or 140, I can't remember. Think it was 140.

Hey, I know there has been some speculation/confusion as to when A&M will send out more pre-matches. I interviewed today, and Filo said that they will be meeting tomorrow/Monday, and giving out their second and final big pre-match for sure on the 21st. It will include both people who interviewed prior to November 16th and people who have interviewed since then.

Hope that lets some people relax a little and maybe only check their email 5 times instead of 15 tomorrow :laugh:

Good luck everybody, and good luck to the M1's on your final tomorrow! :luck:

EDIT: Forgot- he said they would be giving out either 100 or 140, I can't remember. Think it was 140.
Yay! Checking my email furiously on the 21st...

1820 applied, 708 interviewed, 337 were accepted, 129 enrolled (Usnews, 2008): I'd imagine 140 (out of 337) seems more likely.

Awesome, thanks for the good news!! And for confirming that the offers will be sent out on the 21st, which I've been trying to say for a while now, lol...

But wow, if it ends up being 140, that certainly is quite a bit. Last year they sent 379 offers total...so if that is any indication of what this year will be like, they have only sent approximately 240 or so (this is of course excluding match and waitlist offers). Hopefully we all get some good news come Monday! :thumbup:

Yay! Checking my email furiously on the 21st...

1820 applied, 708 interviewed, 337 were accepted, 129 enrolled (Usnews, 2008): I'd imagine 140 (out of 337) seems more likely.

I think those stats are incorrect...if you look at the stat sheet that A&M gave us during the interview, it said last year they interviewed 799, accepted 379, and had 150 matriculate.

I think those stats are incorrect...if you look at the stat sheet that A&M gave us during the interview, it said last year they interviewed 799, accepted 379, and had 150 matriculate.

So, let's compromise and say they interviewed 750 students and of those 750 students, 250 have been offered acceptances. Now there are roughly 500 students left with no correspondence. If 140, or so pre-match offers are sent out on Monday then we only need to be in remaining top 28-30% of the remaining 500 students. How do we feel about those odds?

Honestly, they could be picking 9 out of 10 remaining students and I would still find a way to doubt my chances. Oh the medical school application process, you have to love how it makes worthy people feel unworthy!!

Last edited:
So, let's compromise and say they interviewed 750 students and of those 750 students, 250 have been offered acceptances. Now there are roughly 500 students left with no correspondence. If 140, or so pre-match offers are sent out on Monday then we only need to be in remaining top 28-30% of the remaining 500 students. How do we feel about those odds?

Honestly, they could be picking 9 out of 10 remaining students and I would still find a way to doubt my chances. Oh the medical school application process, you have to love how it makes worthy people feel unworthy!!

Yeah, that's a good way of looking at it. Lol but honestly, I'm not sure that we have to compromise on the stat sheet that TAMU HSC itself gave us... Also, judging from the fact that they are looking to expand their class size, they should be looking to interview even more people than the 799 interviewed last year. But then, acceptance offers should go up as well.

So if we consider that they interviewed 799 (~800) last year, and made offers to 379 (~380), and 140 more offers will be going out Monday...that means 240 offers have been made, out of 800 interviewed. So, there are 140 spots for 560 interviewees, or approximately 25%. Very close to the estimate you had given.

Also, this is of course not taking into account all of the applicants "screened out" during the interview process, which is in the hundreds, according to some interviewers that I've talked to. Those applicants are not ranked, and thus are not even considered for acceptance. Also, some of the 380 offers came from the match and waitlist (probably in the 20's).

But basically, if you were able to do well in your interview and not be screened out, and have stats near their average (3.68 GPA, 31 MCAT), you have a very good shot at this point...probably just barely missed the cut from the first round.

I encourage everyone who's interested to read the thread posted below started by a TAMU HSC medical student who was on the interview committee. He gave a lot of specific information about admissions and the medical school in general.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=468541

We were told specifically by Diaz the director of admissions at Temple that 300 acceptances have already been sent. And that the admissions people will meet on Monday 21st of December to decide the remaining prematch offers. Based on the numbers of last year prematch acceptances around 80 acceptances will be sent out, if not less. If you don't get a prematch offer by the 23rd then you will not receive one (as they are out for the holiday break). G'luck to everyone!

We were told specifically by Diaz the director of admissions at Temple that 300 acceptances have already been sent. And that the admissions people will meet on Monday 21st of December to decide the remaining prematch offers. Based on the numbers of last year prematch acceptances around 80 acceptances will be sent out, if not less. If you don't get a prematch offer by the 23rd then you will not receive one (as they are out for the holiday break). G'luck to everyone!
Oh gosh thats such a small percentage..

Members don't see this ad :)
That is weird they told you 300- Filo specifically said 245 had been given, 2 rescinded for illegal actions.

So sad I cannot make it...

You've been accepted to like 5 GREAT schools of which include UTSW and you got a FULL ride to Texas Tech... you should be happy! It kind of makes me feel bad that you're upset you can't go to this school. It's like Bill Gates complaining he's poor to the destitute.

That is weird they told you 300- Filo specifically said 245 had been given, 2 rescinded for illegal actions.

I seriously hope it is only 245. And it's strange that they even told you about the "illegal actions". Wonder if it's those TCU kids caught in a drug ring.

Yeah I wondered if I should post that, but decided why not- they were obviously very forthcoming about it. He was reminding us to not put ourselves in bad situation, because every school reserves the right to rescind acceptances.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Maybe they were rounding up? Filo said they sent out 279 acceptances and that they would send out 100 more next week. (Interviewed on 12/10)

I will be checking my email and having my phone on me all day tomorrow. *Crossing fingers*... good luck, all!

I will be checking my email and having my phone on me all day tomorrow. *Crossing fingers*... good luck, all!

You will not be alone!! My neurotic behavior will be appropriately amplified today.

Good luck to all!! I wish everyone the best and I hope that we all receive the good news we have all been praying for.

good luck everyone! hope everyones dream comes true!

i could barely sleep last night...

If today is indeed the fateful day, does anyone have time predictions?

Last edited:
If today is indeed the fateful day, does anyone have time predictions?

sorry for those frantically waiting for the a&m thread to come on top. no i havent heard anything. reason why i say this, is because i ALWAYS freak out when the thread is bumped to the top, and i dont have an email hahah

i assume later in the afternoon. thats when they sent out their first batch of prematches on november 16th. around 3:30-5pm

im freaking out and in shambles right now fjdkalfjdksla

I think I just broke my refresh button on my computer.

GAH! I was completely expecting to hear something by now! Where are the emails?!

GAH! I was completely expecting to hear something by now! Where are the emails?!

Either they aren't sending them until around 5, or they're waiting until tomorrow. I do not want to spend another day checking my email like this so I really hope they go out soon.

Accepted- 437 pm --->Good Luck to you All

great here we go...i'm feeling another heartbreak :(

great here we go...i'm feeling another heartbreak :(

I thought I would feel better about this than I am right now. Please...good news!!!

Congrats King!!

I GOT ACCEPTED. 4:48pm :):):):):)

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!! :)

What are the stats (mcat/gpa/interview date?) of those who got accepted today?

Early Christmas for a few of us, it seems! Good job guys... I hope I'm among you come Feb 1 :luck::luck:

holy cow, i got just got my acceptance. that was out of the blue, i thought one of my interviews went terrible. this whole thing is such a crap shoot.

OMG ACCEPTED 4:37 PM!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):)

I seriously can't believe it...best Christmas gift ever. Good luck to everyone still waiting; I hope it works out for you all! :thumbup:

Accepted today at 3:08pm (mountain time)!!! Interviewed 12/10 so freaking excited seeing as I didn't think I was going to get accepted this cycle!!:soexcited:

Congrats kingM, pman9691, fiat, Server10 & DocInTrainin10! :)

congrats to those who got an acceptance today! For the rest of us we will probably have to wait till the match to hear back from the Texas schools. I suggest finding something to take your mind off of this process until match day. Good luck :rolleyes:

Aww no fear guys maybe they'll send them tomorrow:oops:. I didn't get one either:(

Aww no fear guys maybe they'll send them tomorrow:oops:. I didn't get one either:(

I feel like you and I are ALWAYS in the same boat... Crappy boat to be in... haha :)

Trying to be optimistic, so happy holidays to everyone and congrats to those who have been accepted!

Hey Guys,

For those who haven't heard back, don't worry because there is still match. Also, check your emails tomorrow because I saw on this thread that someone received a pre-match offer a day after the first pre-match batch went out.

This is my first medical school acceptance and I am thankful to Allah for this. My stats arent the strongest and I don't think this school is all about stats, which is why I believe I got accepted ( Interviewed-12/10/09)I prayed a lot and I am really happy that I got this offer. I will be attending this Medical school coming this fall. Anyone else for sure going to attend here? Is there a FB group?

Good Luck to you and don't give up hope. Everything happens for a reason!!

Last edited:
For those of you who don't have an acceptance:

I know it's disheartening -- I was there too -- but hang in there. Historically, A&M isn't a match-heavy place, but some people do match to the school.

Also, as other prematch offers go out, and when people accepted to A&M match elsewhere in February, there will be seats freeing up -- leading to waitlist movement.

I agree that the statistics don't look too entirely promising, but you still have a chance. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and understand that you might still receive that email.

Status
Not open for further replies.