2008-2009 University of Illinois (UIC) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, me too. Did anyone this year actually get that "applicant waitlisted" ?

I didn't think I could get any more anxious from waiting but I think my heart skipped a beat when I saw the status change.

Members don't see this ad.

so what do you guys think the odds are the status change means acceptance v. rejection? I'm not holding my breath for an acceptance but i guess you never know...

A final decision was made on your application on . Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks, please contact the Admissions Office. No decision will be given over the telephone.

Two things don't bode well:

1) The message just feels impersonal.
2) More than one of us actually got it, and I doubt they are still accepting very many people.

But we'll see what the mail man brings. Good luck all. Maybe they just set everyone's status to this regardless of rejected / accepted. You'd think it would say Accepted if you were accepted though.

Started my AAMCS 2010 today. It is actually quite therapeutic.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
yea i agree with you. so no one has gotten waitlisted, strange...
hopefully we'll get the letter in the mail soon.

Yes, we all got that message and the CBC email was verification of an acceptance. Nothing is official though until you receive a big packet.

i got a cbc email from buffalo where i was accepted earlier... will i get another one for UIC or not?

I don't think you do based on earlier posts. Might just have to wait for snail mail. Sorry!

A final decision was made on your application on . Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks, please contact the Admissions Office. No decision will be given over the telephone.

We are no longer 'decision pending'!!

We'll find out whether we're all accepted, waitlisted, or (most likely) rejected soon enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget; you need titers verifying immunity, not just dates of immunization. Additionally, some people may not be able to meet the June 15th deadline (i.e., just started the Hep B series, etc.). If so, submit whatever you can and keep in contact with the admissions office. They'll work with you if you need a reasonable accommodation.

Oh man, I thought I was done with my immunizations, but I noticed I needed immunizations AND a titer for hep B. Definitely my fault...

Don't forget you need a 2 step TB test and not the regular 1 step TB test.

Oh man, I thought I was done with my immunizations, but I noticed I needed immunizations AND a titer for hep B. Definitely my fault...

Don't forget you need a 2 step TB test and not the regular 1 step TB test.

This is how many trips to my doc and lab I've made to get my immunizations done:

1: Presented the immunization form to my doc and she gave me the TB skin test and a lab req for varicella titer.
2. Returned to doc to read TB and to get second TB skin test.
3. Went to lab to draw blood for varicella titer.
4. Returned to doc to read second TB skin test.
5. Doc forgot Hep B titer so went back to get lab req.
6. Went to lab to get Hep B Ab titer.
7. Doc forgot I needed Hep B Ag titer as well, so picked up req and went to lab to re-draw blood.
8. Finally submitted immunization form to UIC, got email saying I needed titers for measles, mumps, etc. (my doc mis-read and thought it was either or, so since she put down dates for when I was vaccinated, it was fine).
9. Went back to lab yet again to draw blood for remaining titers.
10. Done!

I visited the lab a total of 4 times and to the doc 5 times and was jabbed 6 times (my veins are small). For the period from February-April, I had constant bruises on my arms and kept having to explain myself. So morale of the story is: READ WHAT IS NEEDED AND TELL YOUR DOCTOR VERBALLY! UIC is quite strict and your doctor can easily overlook a requirement. And hypnix is right in that you need the 2-step. It's not just for the dance floor :p

We are no longer 'decision pending'!!

We'll find out whether we're all accepted, waitlisted, or (most likely) rejected soon enough.

Yeah, I just hope it comes at the end of the week. Whatever size letter, big or small, just something.

Nothing but crickets here.

I think (completely guessing tho) that the lack of update is a good thing? I think those of us who have a status change, are prolly rejected (since its the majority) and those who havent been decided upon will get wait listed...

all speculation

I think (completely guessing tho) that the lack of update is a good thing? I think those of us who have a status change, are prolly rejected (since its the majority) and those who havent been decided upon will get wait listed...

all speculation

Meh... we'll just have to wait and see.

my status has also changed, same message.

Status changed today from Decision Pending to Applicant is Waitlisted.

Best of luck to you all. Mine changed to the notification in two week message. Does anyone know if they already granted petitions for the campus switch?

Last year's thread discussion of UIC's waitlist and late May decision letters can be found here.

Last year's thread discussion of UIC's waitlist and late May decision letters can be found here.
The pattern is not not good for those of us w/ early status changes. It doesn't look like anyone w/ the "final decision" actually got an acceptance.

well, best of luck to those of you who are wait listed. to the rest of us, i guess we're SOL. oh well. :(

Now that we are more or less certain of what will be coming in the mail, I'd like to say goodbye and good luck to you all. This has been a place to come whine, share our woes, and compare speculations about this extremely long process. I thank you for all you advice and opinions.

At last, the final flicker of hope is fading for my attempts to be in the 09 entering class. Perhaps I will get it right on my 2010 AMCAS...

I believe that this is the best time for unsuccessful applicants to look at the system, instead of putting blame on the school or yourself (if you were invited for an interview at UIC, you should be proud of your achievements and only look to improve upon them rather than put blame on them). The greatest quality of the US is having choice. We all chose to pursue a career in medicine, but the fault of the system is that so many qualified applicants are turned down because medical schools can't enroll larger classes. The medical school application process has turned into a business, with expensive fees, MCAT prep, SMP, etc. And it seems we have to swim inthe system in order to gain admission. Well, I hope that someday we, the initially unsuccessful applicants, will remeber the flaws and work to reform the system. "Together we stand, divided we fall" -Roger Waters.

Anyway, sorry for the longer than intened goodbye. I wish you all success in the future. :)

I'd like to think some of us final decision people will get in. I wouldn't make any assumptions based on what happened to the really small sample of applicants that reported their experience on last year's thread. Only 5 or so really said that they were rejected.

Yea I think so too.. if I do get in I (most likely) won't be going, so i guess one of you waitlisters will get the spot

I'd like to think some of us final decision people will get in. I wouldn't make any assumptions based on what happened to the really small sample of applicants that reported their experience on last year's thread. Only 5 or so really said that they were rejected.

maybe only that few said they were rejected... but 0 said they got accepted... hopefully im wrong, but im not holding my breath at this point.

While nothing is final until you get a letter, the last month or so of interviews were for the waitlist. If your status has changed to anything other than "Applicant waitlisted", then I'm sorry.

While nothing is final until you get a letter, the last month or so of interviews were for the waitlist. If your status has changed to anything other than "Applicant waitlisted", then I'm sorry.
Sorry to belabor the point, but I'm curious... Does that mean that no acceptances went out? What happened to all the openings due to the withdrawals right before May 15th?

Last edited:
Sorry to belabor the point, but I'm curious... Does that mean that no acceptances went out? What happened to all the openings due to the withdrawals right before May 15th?
i assume those go to people on the waitlist.

My status changed and has today's date on it now instead of just saying "a decision was made on ." Not that this means anything, but did anyone else get this?

yea. so does that mean that they didnt decide the other day?

My status changed and has today's date on it now instead of just saying "a decision was made on ." Not that this means anything, but did anyone else get this?

i also have todays date on there.

I got an email from amcas earlier today and I almost peed my pants thinking it was a CBC email.

Alas, they were just informing me that they received one of my transcripts for my 2010 application.

Got my waitlist letter today. 1st half. It seems they are not doing quarters anymore.

Got my waitlist letter today. 1st half. It seems they are not doing quarters anymore.

fsap, do you live in the chicago area?
congrats on the wl!

k. i'm north shore, maybe ill get my rejection tomorrow. lol. i just want closure.

yay letter is here, boo for rejection. oh well. even more thankful for my UB acceptance now. good luck everyone else.

It's almost June now, and nobody has posted that they've been granted a campus switch?! Has anybody been granted a campus switch since May 15th? If so, make some noise.

No news here yet. I believe they are just finalizing the class roster before granting site changes.

It's almost June now, and nobody has posted that they've been granted a campus switch?! Has anybody been granted a campus switch since May 15th? If so, make some noise.

Two people I know had their petitions granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.