2008-2009 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! I just got the phone call this morning that I was accepted. I interviewed the first week of January. Exciting! Pritzker was one of my favorite schools.

To those that received merit scholarships, did you hear when you were accepted, or later on? How long did you wait? Do you think most of the money was given out in January? If it was, that's sad for us '09 interviewees :(

I also got the call this morning :D Director Owen said on the phone that I should get my FAFSA information in in order to be considered for merit scholarships as well as financial aid (not sure why they would need FAFSA for merit), but anyway it sounded like they still have more to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations you guys!! :) Words cannot even begin to describe my envy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptances! Has anyone who interviewed in the last week of Jan heard back yet?

Congratulations to the new acceptees! I'm looking forward to the second look on April 17th! Hope to see everyone there!

Last interview day was this past Tuesday! Keep us updated everyone, I bet a good number of continued applicants hear soon (?).

Last interview day was this past Tuesday! Keep us updated everyone, I bet a good number of continued applicants hear soon (?).

From what I've heard, we'll still hear in small trickles for a while, and then those who haven't been admitted by the end of April will be reviewed again and either waitlisted or denied.

Does anyone know when the next committee meeting will be?

Waiting is the worst part of this process! >,<

Congrats! Pritzker is an AWESOME school. From the faculty, the campus, the Obamaffiliation, the amazing students, and crazy opportunities we have here, I feel like I couldn't have made a better choice in choosing a medical school. Definitely come to Second Look, you'll see why I love it so much.

ETA: And how could I forget true pass/fail???

Perhaps this is a (stupid) question for the general forum, but on the financial aid form, it asks you to choose whether you would like to apply for merit aid, and for loans, and then for need-based scholarship. My question is, is there any reason why one would NOT select to apply for need-based scholarship? I don't know whether I will qualify for need-based or not (likely not since I come from an upper-middle class family), but is there any reason why I shouldn't select the box anyway?

Perhaps this is a (stupid) question for the general forum, but on the financial aid form, it asks you to choose whether you would like to apply for merit aid, and for loans, and then for need-based scholarship. My question is, is there any reason why one would NOT select to apply for need-based scholarship? I don't know whether I will qualify for need-based or not (likely not since I come from an upper-middle class family), but is there any reason why I shouldn't select the box anyway?

You have to submit more info (ie parent stuff) for need-based money, so if you knew for sure you weren't going to get it, you might not bother. If you aren't sure if you are eligible or not, it's worth the hassle of the paper work this time around.

No one knows when their next committee meeting is huh?

i emailed today, they said they meet every week until the beginning of april. i think wednesdays, didn't ask about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any more news on merit based scholarships from anyone lately?

Any news from anyone today? Or maybe they meet today and some will come tomorrow.

No news here...interviewed end of Jan (I'll hit the 6 week mark next week though, so I may still have to wait). Good luck, everyone!

EDIT: Just got the call today from David Owen! I'm IN!!! I'm so excited--this is my first acceptance and I absolutely love Pritzker! :D

Last edited:
Congrats! I just got the call today, it's my first acceptance as well. Five schools to go, and then this delightful process is over. I can't even remember what it's like to not be a medical school applicant... but knowing I'm going to be a doctor is pretty sweet.

No news here...interviewed end of Jan (I'll hit the 6 week mark next week though, so I may still have to wait). Good luck, everyone!

EDIT: Just got the call today from David Owen! I'm IN!!! I'm so excited--this is my first acceptance and I absolutely love Pritzker! :D

Last edited:
Another round of acceptances has apparently gone by without my phone ringing. Sigh :(

Last edited:
I'm waiting for my waitlist letter or rejection letter in late April.

Congrats Podalarius!! It's a huge relief, huh? :)

Good luck Tiare and amph!!! There's still hope yet! :luck:

I've tried looking everywhere on the website and financial aid email for this... but, what is the mailing address we are supposed to send our tax return forms to?

I'm sure people are getting phone calls. I'm just resigned to the fact that I will never be one of those people. Waiting for the April filtering of the continued pool...

No one's heard anything yet today huh? Maybe they couldn't meet yesterday.

Don't give up hope! I got taken off the waitlist last week and received a merit scholarship today. Best of luck to everyone else!

how can you tell if the "pritzker grant" scholarship is need-based or a merit-based? do they make a distinction?

Anyone ever heard of someone's financial aid package increasing after they've already received their award letter, or is that amount pretty much final? I thought I read a post about this somewhere, but just wondering.

I actually read the same thing drjm-- In one of the old "class of ___" posts (can't remember which year) someone mentioned their award being raised after May 15th. My guess is they granted scholarships to people who chose not to attend Pritzker and thus the school had more money available to dole out after those people formally withdrew.

Don't give up hope! I got taken off the waitlist last week and received a merit scholarship today. Best of luck to everyone else!

Dispatchblue, first off, congratulations. Second, were you a "continued" applicant or an actual wait list applicant? I've been continued for a very very long time. If anyone on this forum knows, I was wondering where the acceptances/rejections for Uchicago stand right now. Have they filled up their class?

Why is this school so expensive!? Got my aid letter a few days ago and the budget is over 66K for the first year! Then, after looking at the aid website, I saw that it's even MORE expensive in years three and four (over 80K). That's, like, 300K in debt if all you get are loans!

someram--

You might want to check out the Pritzker Podcast "To Be Continued" which talks about what it means to be a continued candidate.

I was continued early in the app process and accepted this month. I have no idea where they stand in making their class, but I believe the don't make a waitlist at all until later in April?
-------------------------------------------
Does anyone out there have information on Graduate Student Housing? Is it worthwhile? Is any of it nice? Are certain buildings notorious for being better/worse than the others? I'm realizing it's difficult to apartment shop from 1,000 miles away...

Why is this school so expensive!? Got my aid letter a few days ago and the budget is over 66K for the first year! Then, after looking at the aid website, I saw that it's even MORE expensive in years three and four (over 80K). That's, like, 300K in debt if all you get are loans!

Isn't this pretty typical of most schools' budget? Plus, UChicago is pretty generous with financial aid.

Isn't this pretty typical of most schools' budget? Plus, UChicago is pretty generous with financial aid.

Psh not generous to me. All I see are loans, and my family isn't exactly basking in wealth.

I dunno, 66K seems steep to me. Granted, I haven't gotten a lot of aid packages yet, but the one other I have is 45K.

Seems like admission of SDN-ers has been slow in the past week or two huh...

and another week goes by without news....

they should be finishing up reviewing the last set of interviews though so hopefully more thought will be given to people who were continued early on in the process...maybe....

anyone know when we should expect the wait list to be put together?

Does anyone know how long Pritzker has been "true" p/f?

Anyone know if they are still meeting? Or is it wait-till-the-waitlist time?

When I emailed D. Owen earlier this year he said they will be accepting people "into April" so maybe this week and next we can wait neurotically for a phone call and then resign ourselves to waiting for the wait list

When I emailed D. Owen earlier this year he said they will be accepting people "into April" so maybe this week and next we can wait neurotically for a phone call and then resign ourselves to waiting for the wait list

Good to hear I suppose. The waiting doesn't really suck anymore because I'm so used to it and not really expecting anything anymore at this point.

Especially after waiting for my post-interview rejection at Feinberg. Oof.

..................?

This is getting old by the way. Don't know why I get all revved up for Thursdays really considering that I don't actually know that they have any real significance.

This thread has been really quiet and it's making me sad :(

My guess is that everyone is taking a break before wading through the continued list. We'll probably hear soon!!!

Holy MACARONI they accepted me off of the continued list! Good luck to all of you!

I'm coming out of hibernation to comment that I was called this morning by Dr. Owen and was also accepted off of the continued list.

Status
Not open for further replies.