Yale (91% aid) vs. UChicago Pritzker (100% aid)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ballin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now, which one would you guys choose?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends how much money the 9% remaining would be. If it were inconsequential and easily payable after graduation, I'd go to the university where I would feel happiest. If 9% = $90,000 or another ridiculous amount, go with the 100% aid.

They're both essentially free. If you talked to Yale, you could probably actually squeeze the extra 9% out of them.

Go to whichever program you prefer. Money's not really an issue here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now, which one would you guys choose?

Assuming 9% is off tuition, that comes to around 16k over 4 years. Assuming it is off COA over 4 years thats around 28k over 4 years. The difference in money so small (compared to normal med school debt) and you'll have no trouble paying off either. Ask yourself if you would rather go to Uchicago or go to yale and buy a new car for residency. If you feel you'll do better at yale, thats more than worth 28k, but you can't go wrong. I personally would choose chicago, but they're both great.

When you say aid, do you mean scholarships + grants, or scholarships + grants + loans?

I think the 9% is really negligible, and you can definitely negotiate with yale to try to get them to throw you some money.

As you for sure know, these are two very different programs. More accurately, Yale's program is VERY different from everything, lol I would figure out where the best fit is and go with that. :)

Please excuse my ignorance, but didn't everyone have to make a decision on schools by May 15th? You got significant scholarships at both schools, so that leads me to believe you didn't get off of a waitlist to be put in your position... what gives?

Please excuse my ignorance, but didn't everyone have to make a decision on schools by May 15th? You got significant scholarships at both schools, so that leads me to believe you didn't get off of a waitlist to be put in your position... what gives?
I think he actually was pulled off the waitlist at Yale and is talking about need-based financial aid there

Why is Yale so different? I hear that about their program, but I've never understood why.

Why is Yale so different? I hear that about their program, but I've never understood why.

check it out: yale bulletin (start at pg 21)

Edit: To the OP, money isn't really a huge consideration anymore - choose where you feel most comfortable. Follow thy gut instinct...

Both schools are pretty equal. Go with location. What city do you like better, new haven or chicago? haha

I don't think that Yale's fiancial aid package is negotiable. As other posters have mentioned 9% is neglible. Go with where (school and location) you would rather spend the next four years. I was accepted to both and I thought them to be awesome, but I definetely preferred Pritzker.

Another thing to consider. Is your aid from Pritzker need-based or merit based and do you anticipate your financial circumstances to change in the next four years. It might be something to consider. Good luck choosing.

Yale...even though UofC is great nothing compares to an Ivy League School

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=5772157

You are truly foolish. There are a number of incidents where Yale students have been victims of crime. Having gone to Yale, I can vouch for thing. However, if safety is an issue, both schools are generally safe. You just need to know which areas to avoid. I know many students who had to make this same decision. Most of the time, it tends to come down to location. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.