2020-2021 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Yale University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:

Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?

MD applicants: Please answer either one of the following questions
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.

While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.

Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Excited to be applying here!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Good luck to everyone! I'm just applying for the lottery here, but who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone from Yale elaborate on the "Yale system"? I heard the Yale vibe is very chill and there are no internal rankings! also best of luck to everyone applying!

Would love the chance to ask a current student a couple quick questions :)

Would love the chance to ask a current student a couple quick questions :)
You might want to look at Yale school specific thread from a couple years ago and find someone who CTE'ed there. They might respond if they are still active.

Current MS4 here applying to residency this year. If you have questions, feel free to DM me. The guy who ran admissions when I applied has retired, so I'm not as familiar with the current admissions process but will gladly answer any questions you have about being a student here.

Reactions: 3 users
can someone from Yale elaborate on the "Yale system"? I heard the Yale vibe is very chill and there are no internal rankings! also best of luck to everyone applying

The vibe is very chill and you are correct that there are no internal rankings at any time - not for preclinical or on clerkships. Preclinical grades are all pass/fail (if you remediate a course, it's just listed as Pass on the transcript as well). Clerkship exams are in-house (i.e., not NBME shelf exams), are also pass/fail, and do not affect your clerkship grade. There is no curve or limit to Honors on clerkships, so anyone who does well can earn Honors regardless of their peers' performance. There's no AOA or any of that kind of crap either. Do keep in mind that while the med school will not rank you, your department may rank you versus other students applying to that specialty for residency. I do not know which departments do this and which do not, or what system they use to do it, but generally, our rank list is fire regardless.

The "Yale system" to me just means that most things are chill/don't matter and you can focus on what you need to do for your own education and career. Attendance is not mandatory for lectures, and although there are some mandatory workshops etc. for preclinical (as required by the AAMC), you can choose what to do with most of your time. Even anatomy lab isn't mandatory lol. During clerkships you have a lot of choice for different hospitals and subspecialties for each of the core rotations, and except for internal medicine, you do not have to work weekends. There is also a lot of freedom after clerkships, when you have 17 months that you get to schedule in any way you see fit - research time, whatever length of dedicated Step time you want, electives, different sub-Is, whatever. You can also take the fully-funded fifth year to do whatever you want, which is popular right now due to COVID-19.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
@Cigar how have you felt about living in New Haven? E.g. are you so busy you don't really notice or care, do you feel safe everywhere or know you can only be in certain areas at certain times, is having a car reasonable or is public transportation better than having your own car, is it easy to make and maintain friendships even though you're not going to class all the time, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
@Cigar how have you felt about living in New Haven? E.g. are you so busy you don't really notice or care, do you feel safe everywhere or know you can only be in certain areas at certain times, is having a car reasonable or is public transportation better than having your own car, is it easy to make and maintain friendships even though you're not going to class all the time, etc.

I would say of all the things about Yale, New Haven is the weakest point due to its small size, relatively high cost of living, and long winters. There are good restaurants (especially pizza and Italian food lol), and there is good availability of outdoor activities for people who like hiking etc. Night life is limited to a few bars, and you will run out of new things to do pretty quickly. It's not uncommon for students to take weekend trips to Boston or NYC, which are easily accessible by train. I think the tradeoff of living in New Haven is fine for four years of med school, and I don't regret coming here just because the city itself is a little boring. Most of the time you'll be studying or with the homies doing the same stuff you'd be doing anywhere. I would not say that New Haven or skipping class impacted my ability to make and maintain friendships - I see my crew all the time.

Safety overall is comparable to any urban area. Decades ago, New Haven had significant problems with violent crime, but that is no longer the case. Basic street smarts are sufficient, and people walk around downtown day and night. Generally the worst you'll have to deal with is frequent panhandling.

You can absolutely live in New Haven without a car if you live downtown, which is where most med students live (e.g., the Towers). There are restaurants, grocery stores (Stop & Shop, Elm City Market), convenience stores, pharmacies, and liquor stores that are all within walking distance of the downtown apartment complexes. There are Yale shuttles that service the entire university campus, and there are shuttles between Yale-New Haven Hospital and the affiliated Saint Raphael's Hospital and West Haven VA. Some students live in a nearby suburb, East Rock, that also has shuttle service to Yale and is within biking distance. I didn't have a car in my first year, and several of my friends still don't have one. An issue that may come up is rotating at clerkship sites outside of New Haven that are not near a train station, which may require you to borrow or rent a car for a few weeks of third year. Financial aid and loans are larger that year for travel. Most students don't have to rotate outside of New Haven for more than a few weeks of the year, if at all.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
@Cigar that was super thorough--thank you!! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Current MS4 here applying to residency this year. If you have questions, feel free to DM me. The guy who ran admissions when I applied has retired, so I'm not as familiar with the current admissions process but will gladly answer any questions you have about being a student here.
Does Yale have any love for nontrads (given they have adequate stats)?
How about those with research interest but no significant research experience?

Does Yale have any love for nontrads (given they have adequate stats)?
How about those with research interest but no significant research experience?

Yes, there are plenty of nontrads here, including me. Usually a good handful of people every year in their late twenties or early thirties, people who had different careers before medicine, people who already have PhDs, etc. Although research is generally emphasized once you're here, as reflected by the required thesis, there are people who are admitted with minimal prior research experience. If you've got good stats and other stuff that's interesting about you, it won't tank your app if you don't have research experience. As a nontrad you've probably got cool things to talk about other than research too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Prompts:

Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?

MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.

While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.

Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 5 users
Secondary Prompts:

Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.

@TheDataKing
Thank you.
Is there a word or character count on that?

Note that, in addition to having to "answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.", MD/PhD applicants also have two additional prompts:

M.D. Ph.D Statement
Write a statement (approximately 500 words) concerning:
  • Your reasons for wishing to undertake the combined MD/PhD program, rather than the MD program alone.
  • The specific PhD program that you propose to follow at Yale.
  • The strengths of that Yale graduate program and its faculty as they relate to your career goals.
M.D. Ph.D Publication Information
Please list any original work published or submitted for publication. At this time, there is no need to submit copies unless requested.

cheers

cc: @TheDataKing

For the question to list all courses taken online, would this apply to courses that were moved online due to COVID in the spring? Also when reporting these courses, should it include course number, semester/year completed as well?

Reactions: 4 users
Received a secondary and I'm OOS. I assume they don't screen for secondaries?!

MD/PHD Applicants: answer question 2 (not 1). Is it correct? Thanks

Secondary Prompts:

1. While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.

2. Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.

Yes.

+1 OOS without verified application

Reactions: 2 users
What do they mean by Academic positions that are not Research? Should I list being a Teaching Assistant as such?

Secondary Prompts:

@TheDataKing

Note that, in addition to having to "answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.", MD/PhD applicants also have two additional prompts:

M.D. Ph.D Statement
Write a statement (approximately 500 words) concerning:
  • Your reasons for wishing to undertake the combined MD/PhD program, rather than the MD program alone.
  • The specific PhD program that you propose to follow at Yale.
  • The strengths of that Yale graduate program and its faculty as they relate to your career goals.
M.D. Ph.D Publication Information
Please list any original work published or submitted for publication. At this time, there is no need to submit copies unless requested.

cheers

cc: @TheDataKing

Hey guys, I'm an MSTP applicant and I was wondering for the secondaries, how should I differ my approach to prompts #2 and #3? They both seem to want to know why Yale for MSTP?

For the question on the academic section asking to " Please list all courses taken online" should you include classes that went online in March after COVID hit?

+1 OOS unverified app. So I've gotten a couple secondary applications from schools with an unverified app, which I didn't realize was a thing. Is it still better to aim for a fast turnaround time, or are they not even going to look at it until my primary is in?

For the question on the academic section asking to " Please list all courses taken online" should you include classes that went online in March after COVID hit?
I'm going to. I took one other class online so I'm gonna have two different headings like "classes taken online voluntarily" and "classes moved online due to campus closure." Then they can do with that what they will

Does anyone else have the LoRs as showing "incomplete" on the portal?

Does anyone else have the LoRs as showing "incomplete" on the portal?
Yup, mine are listed as received, but on the main portal it still says that they're "incomplete"

do we need to specify about all online courses or just online premed courses?

Yup, mine are listed as received, but on the main portal it still says that they're "incomplete"

I emailed admissions and they said not to worry about the "incomplete" as long as the other page shows all of your LoRs have been received. They think it's a programming issue on their end that should be fixed soon.

Would using the optional essay at the end as a "Why Yale" be an appropriate use of the space, or is that not really appropriate here?

Would using the optional essay at the end as a "Why Yale" be an appropriate use of the space, or is that not really appropriate here?

given that you already have two essays in the yale secondary, i feel like it would be a little fluffy to do this

is the optional essay/section a good place to mention that you have family in the area, as an OOS applicant? or is that irrelevant?

In the research prompt, is it okay to pay mention to research experiences already mentioned in activities/snapshots as a way to explain my experience development?

For the question to list all courses taken online, would this apply to courses that were moved online due to COVID in the spring? Also when reporting these courses, should it include course number, semester/year completed as well?
What did you end up doing for this?

I did, but if you have a bit about "Why Yale" in your other essays it might be redundant. I personally had a lot more to say about my fit than was reflected in my other essays/app, so I did a nice "Why Yale" essay.

Are yall just putting everything in the snapshot?