University of Missouri vs SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moops

Which would you choose and why? (Even if you aren't consider either)

Members don't see this ad.

depends what you yourself are like.

UM Columbia is well regarded for primary care and rural medicine. It is located in Columbia, MO though. Is that somewhere you want to live? It's certainly a cheaper school than SLU but only by ~$10k/year.

UM Columbia is my state school but I didn't apply as I didn't want to live in Columbia for the next 4 years and I was afraid the clinical exposure would (inevitably) predominantly prepare me for a rural/pcp career, which is not what I want.

So out of the two I'de probably go to SLU even though I didn't apply there either for other equally valid reasons.

welcome to my current dilemma
come on in
leave your thoughts....

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not big into rural medicine and um focuses on that- plus i heard that slu places pretty well into residencies, including wash u's...

i'm in state at missouri, but i'm still prefering slu right now..

If Missouri would have accepted me, I would have probably gone there. I would rather be in St. Louis, but I don't see how you can justify the extra tuition. It will amount to around $60,000 extra over the 4 years. The students at Mizzou seemed happy and remarkably unstressed.

The only reason that I would consider SLU over Mizzou is for personal reasons, namely my wife has a great job in STL. She doesn't want to quit.

This is hypothetical for me, though, since Mizzou rejected me, post-interview. It was quite a shock, since I felt that my app was strong.

howdy folks...
I had somewhat of the same dilemma, and I declined SLU after much thought and agonizing. I absolutely adored SLU from the moment I stepped in to the building, but I talked to a lot of people about residency placement and curriculum, and thinking about the money, I decided Mizzou was more to my liking if I were to go out-of-state. I was more comfortable with the college-town feel of Columbia, and the only think holding me back right now is the PBL-curric. Ultimately, though, in comparison to other schools I'm thinking about, I dropped SLU because of cost, and am holding Mizzou for its primary care rep.

The same thing happened to me, JBJ. Strong app, rejected post-interview. When I talked to them about why, it seemed kinda bull****ty to me. They listed the "problems" with my app. But I know of at least three people waitlisted that had less of what they said I lacked than I did.

But I was kind of leaning away from them, anyway. The PBL curriculum seemed nice, but it seemed like they pushed it too much, almost. It seemed like you were teaching yourself everything. I think I would rather learn a little more in lecture rather than be trapped in the library researching stuff every day.

I had somewhat of the same dilemma, and I declined SLU after much thought and agonizing. I absolutely adored SLU from the moment I stepped in to the building, [...] I dropped SLU because of cost
Both are good schools, but I think SLU has the edge over Mizzou. If I had to choose, it would be Saint Louis because of what I've heard of the students being happy there and because of their great rep. Good luck. ;)

8 years later.. how have the reputations of each of these schools changed? I'm having a difficult time finding board scores and pass rates for each.

Curriculum-wise, I understand that MU is more PBL-based, and SLU is more traditional. Are there any current students who can shed some light on either of these schools?

How many pairs of jean shorts do you own?

Do you have or have you ever had a mullet?

8 years later.. how have the reputations of each of these schools changed? I'm having a difficult time finding board scores and pass rates for each.

Curriculum-wise, I understand that MU is more PBL-based, and SLU is more traditional. Are there any current students who can shed some light on either of these schools?
I'm way more into traditional curricula. And as things go along, I'm more interested in P/F as well.

I know very little about either school but I thought I remembered reading that SLU does well on the boards and I know for sure they have a respectable match list. You should take neither of those into consideration, but you already know that. :thumbup:

Yea, I saw the match lists. What do I look for in those, though? Do i look at how many people got into high-end specialties like derm or the actual institution they end up at?

Holy necroposting, Batman! This post is old!

Mizzou has very few secrets. Problem-Based Learning Outcomes: Ten Years of Experience at the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine.

Match lists for the past eight years are also available here: http://som.missouri.edu/match/

But...looking at scores and match lists is a waste of time. Matching, in general, is about individuals. Sure, you need the school to have opportunities for research and aways, but it's really about the individual. Plus, you're likely to end up choosing something very different from what you think you want to do right now. Third-year clerkships can be very enlightening. Good students match at good places.

It's more important to go to a school where you can be successful. If you have multiple acceptances choose a place that has the best "fit." The best fit is where you'll be the most successful, and that will help you match more than anything else. Fit can mean different things to different people (curriculum, city size, closeness to family, cost, etc.). "Know thyself."

This is a really interesting post to me. I am going to be applying to both schools this next cycle. Do you think that a 3.9 and 28 would be competitive to either?

This is a really interesting post to me. I am going to be applying to both schools this next cycle. Do you think that a 3.9 and 28 would be competitive to either?

In-state .. you'd have a shot at either, but you will need to show them that you are a stellar person in your interviews. If you're out of state you'd have a better chance at SLU, MU is very in-state biased. If you can raise your MCAT above at least a thirty, i would think that it will make a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.