University of Illinois c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well.. No letter in Western Pennsylvania today. :shrug:

Let's hope Illinois-ans get their letters today so we have a frame of reference.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm envious of how early you guys get your mail! My mailman doesn't get here until 3:30ish!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm envious of how early you guys get your mail! My mailman doesn't get here until 3:30ish!

Seriously!!! Our mail arrives anywhere from 1pm-4pm. Talk about a nail-biter!!!!!! I'm never home when it arrives anyway, so my husband will have to have the burden of watching, waiting, and eventually... OPENING!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I must be lucky because my mail is usually delivered between 10:30am-12:30pm!

Nothing today in NE Ohio :shrug:

I am a pre-vet student at U of I, and I live less than 5 minutes away from the vet school. Got my mail this morning, nothing at all! Makes me question whether the admissions decisions have even been sent out lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Seriously Illinois, just one time get things out on time!

I am starting to get a little frustrated now... haha.

So, if they mailed the letters Friday, that means they've only have Saturday and Monday to be processed by the USPS, guys. It can take mail 4-6 days standard to get to its destination. We're at 2.5 days. And that's if campus mail picked them up Friday.

I understand you're anxious; been there, done that three times. But realize there really is nothing the school can do once the letters leave their hands.

Reactions: 3 users
So, if they mailed the letters Friday, that means they've only have Saturday and Monday to be processed by the USPS, guys. It can take mail 4-6 days standard to get to its destination. We're at 2.5 days. And that's if campus mail picked them up Friday.

I understand you're anxious; been there, done that three times. But realize there really is nothing the school can do once the letters leave their hands.
Ah that makes sense! I just need it to get here before Friday because I'm going out of town for 5 days and I wanna know so I don't drive my BFF crazy on vacation haha

Ah I'll be waiting on your posts before I get excited to get my mail now haha

I did some creeping and saw that last year they sent the letters on Friday and somehow both IS and OOS received their letters the following Monday.. Im hoping it's just the USPS taking their time.

I didn't realize that it was a Monday. It was whatever the first of March was. Lol. That's all I remember. I thought it was Wednesday, but I couldn't tell you what day today is, to be honest.

Y'all... we still don't have our clinic schedules so you may be waiting. We were supposed to get them by today and still nothing.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't realize that it was a Monday. It was whatever the first of March was. Lol. That's all I remember. I thought it was Wednesday, but I couldn't tell you what day today is, to be honest.
Yesterday (Monday) I literally thought it was Friday all day until nighttime.... lol. I was a little sad when I realized I had the whole week to go until the weekend.

Oh! Maybe I'm wrong. I was just going by the date stamp!

Anyway, learning a lesson in patience.

You're actually correct!! I forgot last year was a leap year. So it was Tuesday the 29th. Lol

I know there is a lot of flux in the offices right now. I'm trying to be patient, but the more I see about delays or the clinic schedules not being out for student.... I don't know, I just don't want that to be the story for the next four years. It makes me a little apprehensive.

Reactions: 6 users
I know there is a lot of flux in the offices right now. I'm trying to be patient, but the more I see about delays or the clinic schedules not being out for student.... I don't know, I just don't want that to be the story for the next four years. It makes me a little apprehensive.
Yes. Same here.

While I get the apprehension, remember that each vet school has it's own special problems. It's just that not all schools have so many 'incidents' in such rapid succession. Many of the problems have been because of the state, NOT the school itself.

Like we've said multiple times, 2017-2020 kind of got stuck in the middle of major staff changes. Half of ASA retired because they had been here for forever and they just got new people not that long ago. These people are learning as they go how to deal with the magnitude of paperwork that has to be done to deal with all of us. Yes it's frustrating but it's not a permanent problem. By this time next year all the new people should be well versed enough to do things faster. Plus, like pinkpuppy said, the stupid state of Illinois is still dragging its heels to make a budget for the entire state, which in turn means there was a hiring freeze for a LONG time. I.E. the school was banned from hiring anyone to replace those who were retiring for quite some time. As soon as they got a chance, they hired like 3 quickly but again they're new. No one is fast at a high maintenance job like ASA right away.

Fellow type A! I just would hate to feel like I'm paying a buttload of money to wait for a clinic schedule... What are you current students doing in the meantime? Does it mean you won't have as much time in the clinics?

Bad news, y'all. I emailed the school and got a reply.. the letters have NOT been mailed yet, but will be in the next few days.

Reactions: 9 users
Fellow type A! I just would hate to feel like I'm paying a buttload of money to wait for a clinic schedule... What are you current students doing in the meantime? Does it mean you won't have as much time in the clinics?

There's still this week and next week before the next quarter starts. So first and third years still have finals to focus on next week. The problem for the third years is that many had off campus externships to organize. They'll still have the same amount of time in the clinics.

Bad news, y'all. I emailed the school and got a reply.. the letters have NOT been mailed yet, but will be in the next few days.
Lol maybe if we're lucky we'll get our letters before Christmas. Just kidding, and I hope that didn't offend anyone.

I have wanted to go to Illinois for a long time, I really think you have a point. But unfortunately, going to Illinois means I'll have to deal with Illinois political budget nonsense and watch it screw with a great program for 4 years. :smack:
While I get the apprehension, remember that each vet school has it's own special problems. It's just that not all schools have so many 'incidents' in such rapid succession. Many of the problems have been because of the state, NOT the school itself.

Is it a big envelope for acceptance and small for waitlist/rejection?

They would never shorten our clinical experience because of this. We just may not have anything confirmed until the last minute. We have finals next week and then OSCE and Milestone the week after when first and second years start up their last quarter. The week after that is spring break and then once we come back from that, we go into clinics. There's still time but we're definitely not overjoyed. A lot of my class is very Type A and I'm here just like "as long as I get my off-campus time off I don't care" so they're way more annoyed than I am.

Like we've said multiple times, 2017-2020 kind of got stuck in the middle of major staff changes. Half of ASA retired because they had been here for forever and they just got new people not that long ago. These people are learning as they go how to deal with the magnitude of paperwork that has to be done to deal with all of us. Yes it's frustrating but it's not a permanent problem. By this time next year all the new people should be well versed enough to do things faster. Plus, like pinkpuppy said, the stupid state of Illinois is still dragging its heels to make a budget for the entire state, which in turn means there was a hiring freeze for a LONG time. I.E. the school was banned from hiring anyone to replace those who were retiring for quite some time. As soon as they got a chance, they hired like 3 quickly but again they're new. No one is fast at a high maintenance job like ASA right away.

I would agree with that. I moved out of Illinois two years ago and got a letter last month from Illinois department of revenue asking me to pay some tax from 2015 that I have already paid for..

ASA staff be like...
EC21515E-0371-4CAA-B9F1-8FADCCEC9343-9082-00000E243597A377_tmp.jpg

p.s. sorry, guys, I had to!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Our class officially has our A block and some lucky students have a few more lol. We're now joking that we'll get our schedule one block at a time.

What did you get?!
I have equine med. I wanted to get horses out of the way because they hate me. I've met maybe 3 that don't get fussy around me. Give me an eagle over a horse any day lol.

I have equine med. I wanted to get horses out of the way because they hate me. I've met maybe 3 that don't get fussy around me. Give me an eagle over a horse any day lol.

lol I feel the same way as a person without much equine experience. They are very smart, and if I am not confident around them, they know it right away and try to take advantage of it

lol I feel the same way as a person without much equine experience. They are very smart, and if I am not confident around them, they know it right away and try to take advantage of it
I've gotten better around them but I think they know that I'm a weak little thing so they know they can toss me around if they want to. I also have crap for knees so equine rotations are going to be lots of pain.

my roommate right now is on the equestrian team and she is amazing at riding. and there's me, who looks at a horse funny and he runs away.

to each our own, I suppose :laugh:

Out of curiosity, since we haven't gotten letters yet, can any current students (or otherwise) let me know what Illinois' contingencies are on an acceptance? I got accepted to OK State and theirs were just for me to get a C or better in the last two prerequisites I'm taking for them- is it the same for IL, or do they have different ones (ie, finish your degree, get X grade or better in ALL your classes this semester...)

I'm not sure if that's a thing or not, but I wanted to ask.
Edit: Not sure about IL having different contingencies, not whether or not they have contingencies in the first place.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, since we haven't gotten letters yet, can any current students (or otherwise) let me know what Illinois' contingencies are on an acceptance? I got accepted to OK State and theirs were just for me to get a C or better in the last two prerequisites I'm taking for them- is it the same for IL, or do they have different ones (ie, finish your degree, get X grade or better in ALL your classes this semester...)

I'm not sure if that's a thing or not, but I wanted to ask.
Edit: Not sure about IL having different contingencies, not whether or not they have contingencies in the first place.
I don't believe there is anything specific stated in the letter, but I'm pretty sure it's required of you to get a C (or C-, depending on the school) in any remaining prereqs to remain eligible for admission. An admission offer doesn't mean you get to fail any remaining prereqs because that would disqualify you. Hope that makes sense.

I don't believe there is anything specific stated in the letter, but I'm pretty sure it's required of you to get a C (or C-, depending on the school) in any remaining prereqs to remain eligible for admission. An admission offer doesn't mean you get to fail any remaining prereqs because that would disqualify you. Hope that makes sense.
Yeah, that makes sense. I knew that all the schools of course require you to finish all your remaining prereqs, but I wasn't sure if there were any vet schools that required certain grades in non-prereq remaining classes or anything. I have a friend going to PT school that is required to get at least a B- in all her remaining classes (prereq or not), and I didn't know if any vet schools had higher expectations like that, rather than "just getting through" the last prereqs.

Yeah, that makes sense. I knew that all the schools of course require you to finish all your remaining prereqs, but I wasn't sure if there were any vet schools that required certain grades in non-prereq remaining classes or anything. I have a friend going to PT school that is required to get at least a B- in all her remaining classes (prereq or not), and I didn't know if any vet schools had higher expectations like that, rather than "just getting through" the last prereqs.
I've never heard of a school requiring certain grades for non-prereq courses, but I would say that you shouldn't entirely blow off the last semester and barely pass.

Good to hear! No plans on blowing off my classes, but wanted some affirmation that I can relax just a tiny bit!
There are definitely stories floating around about students getting offers rescinded because they stopped caring about their last semester, but I can't attest to the truth behind those. There's been posts on here about this before if you really want to go digging, but as long as you don't suddenly start getting D's it likely won't even be an issue.

Maybe today? Ugh I'm tired of waiting. I know they're swamped, but it's driving me insane not knowing.

Maybe today? Ugh I'm tired of waiting. I know they're swamped, but it's driving me insane not knowing.
I'm sorry you guys are being made to wait this long, I totally understand the frustration. Hopefully you all hear very soon (and good news at that).

I'm sorry you guys are being made to wait this long, I totally understand the frustration. Hopefully you all hear very soon (and good news at that).
It would be nice to have my first acceptance instead of my third waitlist this year :nod:

It would be nice to have my first acceptance instead of my third waitlist this year :nod:
Well, I suspect UofI might have more declines this year since they are so behind in their acceptance letters (People might get nervous and accept other offers before hearing back and may decide to stick with those offers). That's just what I think obviously, because that's what I would probably consider doing if I were in your shoes and worrying like you guys are.

I hope! Though just keeping the waitlist open will give me a better chance than last year haha.