University of Illinois c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's also 5 people on the deferred list to accommodate too. I'm thinking that there will be significantly fewer initial acceptance and some wait list movement as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I suspect UofI might have more declines this year since they are so behind in their acceptance letters (People might get nervous and accept other offers before hearing back and may decide to stick with those offers). That's just what I think obviously, because that's what I would probably consider doing if I were in your shoes and worrying like you guys are.
That's exactly what I did! I'm Illinois IS and already accepted an offer elsewhere. So at least a spot will be opening up for someone else!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, nothing in the mail again today.
I figure if they hadn't sent them out Tuesday the EARLIEST they would've gotten sent out would've been yesterday(but we don't know if they were or not). So I probably wouldn't start hoping until Saturday or Monday or something haha

I hope letters will be sent out tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 user
There's also 5 people on the deferred list to accommodate too. I'm thinking that there will be significantly fewer initial acceptance and some wait list movement as well.
Dr foreman told us in the info session they'd be accepting 80 IS and 120 OOS, if I remember correctly

Yep, it's looking like my roommate gets to join the circle of people waiting for my letter! I'm not sure if I put down my parents address in IN or mine in SC and I'm going out of town tomorrow so...everyone is under strict orders to call me if they get that letter! I keep telling them it's like a terrible game show.

That's exactly what I did! I'm Illinois IS and already accepted an offer elsewhere. So at least a spot will be opening up for someone else!

I did the same thing. I want to get residency elsewhere from IL ASAP. Looking for a state that isn't broke, tax isn't insanely high on everything, and is more business-friendly. Figure getting out now will be better in the long run considering I have no desire to stay an IL resident.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A girl I work with who applied told me today that on Tuesday when she had called they told her that the letters had not been sent out yet. So it might be a few more days lol

if you plan on coming here, get used to the waiting game. it will never really change. hope you get answers soon!

Reactions: 3 users
My spring break is next week, and I bet my letter will come the day that I leave town haha. I have already told my friend that is staying here that she better be prepared to go get my mail the second I text her because I can't wait anymore bahahaha. :rofl: My friends think I am insane at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you plan on coming here, get used to the waiting game. it will never really change. hope you get answers soon!

They'll have a new anatomy professor, so they won't be waiting for three weeks to get those grade. ;)

Hey guys, so I called admissions (mainly because there is an issue with mail delivery at my apartment complex), and the woman who answered said they are sending letters today. She was extremely kind/ apologetic on the phone. To be fair, hearing back within 3 weeks is still incredibly fast! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 13 users
Do you know if they send emails too? or only letters? I couldn't find out on their website.. Thanks!

Do you know if they send emails too? or only letters? I couldn't find out on their website.. Thanks!
It seems like they are focusing on sending letters. It was suggested that emails might not be sent? I may be wrong.

It seems like they are focusing on sending letters. It was suggested that emails might not be sent? I may be wrong.

I would not count on any emails from this point until you send in a deposit.

During the interviews the dean said that they also send emails.

But it sounded like a maybe. And from previous years it looks like the emails followed snail mail and were not sent at the same time. So we will receive our letters first.

Dr foreman told us in the info session they'd be accepting 80 IS and 120 OOS, if I remember correctly

Is that true??? That seems like a big OOS number!!! (I'm not arguing... that means better odds for me if so!!!!)

Is that true??? That seems like a big OOS number!!! (I'm not arguing... that means better odds for me if so!!!!)

I think so. It may have been what they typically accept. It may be a few less due to the overacceptance last year.

No that's what happened this past year. Normally I think they accept 70 IS and 60 OOS, for a class size of 130. But last year their OOS acceptances for matriculation jumped from around 20% up to 60%, hence why they admitted more students last year. This year they are admitting far less students up front and will be very hesitant to pull students off the waitlist, at least prior to April 17th. They want a class size this year between 120 and 13o students.

No that's what happened this past year. Normally I think they accept 70 IS and 60 OOS, for a class size of 130. But last year their OOS acceptances for matriculation jumped from around 20% up to 60%, hence why they admitted more students last year. This year they are admitting far less students up front and will be very hesitant to pull students off the waitlist, at least prior to April 17th. They want a class size this year between 120 and 13o students.

They will accept more than 70 IS, because some will inevitably decline and they want 70 IS students in their attending class. So it is likely that they will send out about 80 IS acceptances. I am sure it is similar for OOS. They will initially accept more than 60 OOS. This initial acceptance number is what will be lower, but it is not outrageous to think it will remain 80 for IS.

Reactions: 2 users

They will accept more than 70 IS, because some will inevitably decline and they want 70 IS students in their attending class. So it is likely that they will send out about 80 IS acceptances. I am sure it is similar for OOS. They will initially accept more than 60 OOS. This initial acceptance number is what will be lower, but it is not outrageous to think it will remain 80 for IS.

Those numbers are what Dr. Foreman said. The way it works is they are expect about 80% of IS acceptances to actually matriculate (which has been the 10 year average, including my class). For accepting OOS, they are initially accepting around 120 OOS, hoping only about 20-30% accept initially, and then they'll accept more slowly off the wait list till they get to the desired number. This year with my class starting out at 161, they did get their 70 IS students, but 90 OOS students. So, they did initially accept around 150 or so OOS last year. Honestly, it was probably more than that because my class was at 180 in May of 2016.

Most, if not all, schools over-accept initially because of their expected acceptance/deferral/decline ratios.

Even if 50% of OOS students accept their acceptance, that still puts them at their goal of 60 OOS students. They definitely planned it a little more carefully this year. There are at least 5 deferrals that I know of, so we'll see how the wait list moves this year. It was a year of huge applicant numbers, so it'll be interesting to see the stats at the end of it all.

Letters were mailed today so good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 7 users
Those numbers are what Dr. Foreman said. The way it works is they are expect about 80% of IS acceptances to actually matriculate (which has been the 10 year average, including my class). For accepting OOS, they are initially accepting around 120 OOS, hoping only about 20-30% accept initially, and then they'll accept more slowly off the wait list till they get to the desired number. This year with my class starting out at 161, they did get their 70 IS students, but 90 OOS students. So, they did initially accept around 150 or so OOS last year. Honestly, it was probably more than that because my class was at 180 in May of 2016.

Most, if not all, schools over-accept initially because of their expected acceptance/deferral/decline ratios.

Even if 50% of OOS students accept their acceptance, that still puts them at their goal of 60 OOS students. They definitely planned it a little more carefully this year. There are at least 5 deferrals that I know of, so we'll see how the wait list moves this year. It was a year of huge applicant numbers, so it'll be interesting to see the stats at the end of it all.

Thank you for explaining this, bats!!! I didn't know all the details so this was really helpful.

Literally so anxious now that I know the letters are actually sent; before was easier to lie to myself

Reactions: 7 users
I hope we will start getting out letters today!

Good luck everyone! You should get letters today or tomorrow.

4A992DB4-57F0-4BE8-B430-AB9FE8A68DB1-10126-00000FC419A834EF_tmp.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
No letter in PA today.. Hopefully it's tomorrow!

Reactions: 4 users
My friend from Indiana got her letter today! Accepted!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
And so it begins!

did you get letters at your current or permanent addresses (if they're different)
trying to figure out if i should be looking for a letter at school in IL or tell my family in NJ to watch for it

did you get letters at your current or permanent addresses (if they're different)
trying to figure out if i should be looking for a letter at school in IL or tell my family in NJ to watch for it

It's whatever address you have on VMCAS

IS ACCEPTED!!!

Reactions: 11 users
Congrats everyone (and to those who haven't posted yet)! I'm glad you all are getting your answers. I look forward to seeing you all next year!

I'm happy to answer any questions about where good spots to live are, what to expect first year, etc. I'm sure bats and cloverbug are as well!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats everyone! I'll be seeing you guys on clinics then. And yes, I am happy to answer any questions you may have about where to live, what to expect, things to get, etc. Us 3rd years are supposed to have our schedules (finally) today as well. We'll see what happens lol.

I got my letter in CA today and I got in!! Good luck to everyone and hope to see you in the fall!! :)

Southern IL resident and no letter today.

IS resident, but no letter at my Indiana current address today! Hoping for tomorrow!

OOS (Pennsylvania) accepted!!!! (Only takes one!) Dying - am so beyond excited. Can't wait to meet my classmates!!!

Reactions: 13 users