University of Illinois c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hope you guys enjoyed watching the third years eat their lunch in LAC 100 lol. I had a mom giggle at me as I shoveled in a chocolate cupcake sporting scrubs and a blue hat. I felt like we were on display haha. I hope everything went well for everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ahh I hope I did well enough... I feel like I didn't answer as well as I could've :/

Reactions: 1 user
@batsenecal - SO nice to meet you today. I had a great day. No matter what happens I am thrilled about how everything went. And it's a great school. Y'all made me feel so welcome. Thank you!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh I hope I did well enough... I feel like I didn't answer as well as I could've :/

No use stressing now. You did what you could! Now all you can do is enjoy the next two weeks or so and so your thing.

Reactions: 3 users
@batsenecal - SO nice to meet you today. I had a great day. No matter what happens I am thrilled about how everything went. And it's a great school. Y'all made me feel so welcome. Thank you!!!!!

All y'all made everything so easy. Lol. We were making everything up on the fly, so the patience everyone had was awesome.

Thanks! Are you one of the people who asked if I was on SDN? A couple of people asked.
Yup! I said hi to you at check-in and asked you about your last name! I had glasses, curly hair, bangs, blue suit & black turtleneck. So nice to meet you in person!

Yup! I said hi to you at check-in and asked you about your last name! I had glasses, curly hair, bangs, blue suit & black turtleneck. So nice to meet you in person!

You were the first SDNer of the day!!

I feel the same way, hopefully they realize that a lot of that is just nerves! Either way, I had a (mostly) great time applying and gave it an honest effort so I'm really trying not to worry about it anymore.

I felt my interview went pretty well. I could have explained myself a bit more on some questions, but I'm not feeling too bad about it. I had a later interview and I could definitely tell that my interviewers were exhausted! It lasted about 15 minutes.

Good luck to everybody!

I felt my interview went pretty well. I could have explained myself a bit more on some questions, but I'm not feeling too bad about it. I had a later interview and I could definitely tell that my interviewers were exhausted! It lasted about 15 minutes.

Good luck to everybody!
Yeah mine was about 15-20. They asked me to come in about a half hour early, which caught me off guard because I was planning on using that time to calm down and prepare a bit more. They gave me about 5 min, I think they were about as ready to be done with today as I was.

Yeah mine was about 15-20. They asked me to come in about a half hour early, which caught me off guard because I was planning on using that time to calm down and prepare a bit more. They gave me about 5 min, I think they were about as ready to be done with today as I was.
Yeah I went in about 20 minutes early for my interview. There were so many people interviewing and I was surprised they were ahead of schedule!

Yeah I went in about 20 minutes early for my interview. There were so many people interviewing and I was surprised they were ahead of schedule!
I think I heard someone say there were a bunch of cancellations, but not all because of weather. Like that people accepted a spot somewhere else within the last week and cancelled their Illinois interview (so YAY FOR US?!)

Ok, I'll just go ahead and jump in with this. Anyone know how they will notify with final decisions? Do they call? Email? Sorry, I had to. I'm just now getting home and reality is setting in - bundle of nerves. :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'll just go ahead and jump in with this. Anyone know how they will notify with final decisions? Do they call? Email? Sorry, I had to. I'm just now getting home and reality is setting in - bundle of nerves. :nailbiting:

They mentioned in the info session they planned on sending decisions by snail mail on Feb. 24th (possibly slightly earlier). They were not clear about whether or not an email would also be sent, but for sure snail mail.

Per Dr. Foreman, they will mail letters by February 24 and try to send emails sometime after that. No calls AFAIK.

They mentioned in the info session they planned on sending decisions by snail mail on Feb. 24th (possibly slightly earlier). They were not clear about whether or not an email would also be sent, but for sure snail mail.
Ok thanks. My interview was right before the first info session and I couldn't make the second. Thank you!!!

Does anyone know how many IS applicants were interviewed?

I think their PowerPoint said 137 but that may have been last year (typically around 150). Great odds as 80 are accepted initially!

I think their PowerPoint said 137 but that may have been last year (typically around 150). Great odds as 80 are accepted initially!
I think it was 137 IS and ~200 OOS

It sounds like a bunch of people cancelled their interviews though. I and at least few others started way early for interviews because there wasn't anyone before us.

It sounds like a bunch of people cancelled their interviews though. I and at least few others started way early for interviews because there wasn't anyone before us.

Mine started 10min late! I checked my room number like 10times to make sure I was in the right place

Mine started on time but only took 10-15 minutes so I'm sure whoever was after me went early!

Ahhhh Yes, I like all this information it gives me hope! I'm just so ready to finally be a vet student!

And the worse part is once the office makes their decisions it'll feel like eternity til we know; gotta love snail mail :p

Didn't Dr Foreman say they were also going to email us too once they make decisions?

I think he said that they were hoping to but the lady who isn't new and who is the one who normally does the emailing just had a baby so it might not happen? I think that's what he said?

I would not hold out hope for an e-mail. lol. ASA is swamped taking care of the 4th and 3rd years (hopefully). Y'all got 6 days till they mail out. Then a few more days til they get to your mailboxes. :)

I think he said that they were hoping to but the lady who isn't new and who is the one who normally does the emailing just had a baby so it might not happen? I think that's what he said?
Uhh, maybe. I know the woman he was talking about was the one in contact with us last year, but we were only snail mailed last year for admissions too.

I'm not sure about this cycle (with all the turn over) but in the past they sent emails way later than the letter in the mail...I'm a creep I accept that.

Hey all! I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself late in the game. I've been an SDN lurker for over a year, but just made an account as decision time draws near. U of I is my IS school, so here's to hoping we all hear good news next week.

Reactions: 9 users
I talk to Alan like once a week because he's awesome and yes the woman with the most experience in the office is out on maternity leave. He has one person who's been there for 4 months and another that's been there maybe a month. You're most likely going to get snail mail before an email. Alan's working hard to get the rest of us our schedules so we know what we're doing in like a month. Good luck everyone!

I don't know if anybody knows any info about this, but I heard rumors that UIUC is having problems with its accreditation because of its lack of funding? I looked into it on the avma website and found that they were subject to a "focused site visit" in January, but other than that I don't totally understand what that means?
The first link is a list of schools that are having visits, and the second link explains what a focused site visit is.

https://www.avma.org/professionalde.../colleges/pages/coe-upcoming-site-visits.aspx
https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...es/Pages/coe-pp-accreditation-evaluation.aspx

Can somebody clear up for me what all this means, and whether UIUC is actually in danger of losing its accreditation like I've heard or if this is all just rumors (I hope its all just rumors!!!!).

I can only speak indirectly, but I doubt UIUC will lose its accreditation due to lack of funding. They were asked about the state budget at one of the information sessions, and vet med will not be affected by the lack of state budget this year. Dr Foreman said in a "doomsday situation" (since he believe this will never happen) in which they continue to not have a budget in Illinois in following years, U of I will start taking funding from less popular classes/majors first, his example being Slavic languages. As vet med is very popular, historic to the school, and considerably "important", the school will not be affected.

Again I can only speak directly based on what Dr Foreman said at the info session, since I'm not currently even at Illinois, much less their vet program, but sounds like rumors to me.

We had the site visit because of my class and the effects of had on changes to the budget (as far as what we were told).

As far as losing accreditation, we would have probably have been put on limited accreditation immediately after the site visit. In my opinion, that's probably what took them so long to send interview invites. They were waiting to see what the site team said.

TLDR: It's fine. We probably wouldn't have interviewed you if we were losing our accreditation to begin with.

Thank you! thats very reassuring! I had heard it from a few people so I started to get concerned but its good to know all of that now :)

I don't know if anybody knows any info about this, but I heard rumors that UIUC is having problems with its accreditation because of its lack of funding? I looked into it on the avma website and found that they were subject to a "focused site visit" in January, but other than that I don't totally understand what that means?
The first link is a list of schools that are having visits, and the second link explains what a focused site visit is.

https://www.avma.org/professionalde.../colleges/pages/coe-upcoming-site-visits.aspx
https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...es/Pages/coe-pp-accreditation-evaluation.aspx

Can somebody clear up for me what all this means, and whether UIUC is actually in danger of losing its accreditation like I've heard or if this is all just rumors (I hope its all just rumors!!!!).
We were never in danger of losing accreditation. The site visit was to make sure the school could meet the AVMA's education requirements for the large first year class. If the committee found that we were lacking, we may have been placed on probationary status and been told to fix the problems. That still isn't 'losing' accreditation. As far as I know, we passed the visit. We are most certainly not the first school to have a site visit. Like said above, Michigan has an issue, I think Purdue has issues a few years back, etc. New schools aren't even fully accredited until they graduate their first class.

Site visits can happen when a school expands its class size (intentionally or unintentionally...), adds new facilities, etc.

I'm already tired of waiting....it's only Tuesday :confused:

Reactions: 7 users
I'm leaving my home Thursday-Sunday. Debating on whether I should have my sister open it if it gets here when I'm gone lol

I'm leaving my home Thursday-Sunday. Debating on whether I should have my sister open it if it gets here when I'm gone lol

I imagine you'll probably get it next Tuesday or Wednesday, so I think you'll be good. :)

Getting very excited about decisions! Illinois is my #1 choice! Kinda nervous at the same time lol

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah I kinda figured, just imagining scenarios if it doesn't happen how I expect.
I was thinking that too. It will be hella awkward to have my parents text me like "lol nope good try though" if I don't get in. If i get accepted that will be a pretty awesome phone call, but its almost more uncomfortable to have your family tell you that you didn't get in than you opening the letter yourself and then telling your family the bad news (that is IF it is bad news, which hopefully it wont be!). Wish I could be there for when the letter comes too!

Reactions: 4 users
I was thinking that too. It will be hella awkward to have my parents text me like "lol nope good try though" if I don't get in. If i get accepted that will be a pretty awesome phone call, but its almost more uncomfortable to have your family tell you that you didn't get in than you opening the letter yourself and then telling your family the bad news (that is IF it is bad news, which hopefully it wont be!). Wish I could be there for when the letter comes too!

They sent the letter to my parents' house instead of my apartment because I forgot to change the info. My sister called me and asked if I wanted her to read it to me over the phone. It was my third and last try, so she knew she held the rest of my life in her hands in a very literal way. lol. She was more afraid than I was.

Exactly! Especially since I've been waitlisted/rejected everywhere else and this is my last school... Would be awesome if I got in, because then I could celebrate with my bf while I'm visiting him, but also super awkward if it was "uhhh.... sorry. 3rd waitlist"

Exactly! Especially since I've been waitlisted/rejected everywhere else and this is my last school... Would be awesome if I got in, because then I could celebrate with my bf while I'm visiting him, but also super awkward if it was "uhhh.... sorry. 3rd waitlist"

Yep I'm hearing from my last two schools next week and I really want to be able to have something other than waitlisted to tell people!!

Reactions: 2 users
Better than what I've got; only rejections. U of I is my last hope! Wish U of I kept me as updated as I do for them on referred clients; so many faxes haha

Thread so quiet... are we all just holding our breath or what??? ;)

I mean... I am....

Reactions: 4 users