UCVM 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My application is also in! February seems like forever away! Best of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd advise to start prepping for interviews sooner than later! I started prepping for interviews after I received the offer and it was a time crunch. If anyone wants to know some of the resources I used feel free to reach out <3

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when references are due? Is it today?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it’s December 12 (told over phone by Kristy).

Has everyone else's reference submitted or are you biting your nails waiting for some still?

I have one left 🙃 and it’s my prof who I’m hoping is still checking her work email ahaha

Reactions: 1 user
I have one left and it’s my prof who I’m hoping is still checking her work email ahaha
Oh man! The stress is real with waiting for these remaining references lol

Good luck to everyone waiting for interview invites! If you have any questions I am happy to answer!

Reactions: 4 users
Also just got an interview invite! I'm a little bit stressed as my thesis is due the same week but I'll get through it. Good luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to pay for my CASPer test but the total they’re giving is wrong? The form UCVM sent out says $56 + tax but the website isn’t adding the distribution fee ($16), so it’s just coming out to ($40)?

I'm also having issues, and when I press pay it says it's the incorrect amount for my selection and I can't proceed. I the casper support people for help.

Congrats everyone! I also got my interview invite email 2 hours ago!

I got an invite as well! Great job everyone :)

I'll be one of the interviewers again this year! See you all soon 👀

I'll be one of the interviewers again this year! See you all soon

Nice!
Question though - and I apologize if this has been answered in the past - how does it work when you know the interviewee? Like could my supervisor interview me if he was previously selected as an interviewer?

Nice!
Question though - and I apologize if this has been answered in the past - how does it work when you know the interviewee? Like could my supervisor interview me if he was previously selected as an interviewer?
I don't believe you can have an interviewer that you know. In our interview they told us if we knew our interviewer we had to speak up and vice versa.

Yes we have to declare if there's anyone we know that is applying! I don't think I know any of you personally but please let me know if I do :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone ever done the MMI prep day offered at the U of A? Was it helpful?

Has anyone ever done the MMI prep day offered at the U of A? Was it helpful?
I did it last cycle online as well as 2020 in person and it was super helpful! I thought it prepared me well for the real thing.

Last edited:
Good to know! Is it like a mock MMI? Or just kind of a presentation? Is it manned by staff or industry people?

Good to know! Is it like a mock MMI? Or just kind of a presentation? Is it manned by staff or industry people?
It's a full mock-MMI manned by professors, industry people/vets, and uofa staff.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a full mock-MMI manned by professors, industry people/vets, and uofa staff.
Yep! It's a mixture of profs, industry and graduate students doing a full MMI run through. I will be one of the interviewers (I think, the list isn't final yet), and an email was sent out to all grad students asking for help with the interviews. We have a very set evaluation criteria though so it's just good practice talking in front of someone and then we can give you the "answers" we are provided with.

I actually did them in 2018, and thought they were really well done, but some of the feedback was...meh. Just good practice, but I wouldn't get overly worked up and change your whole style over one persons comments.

Yep! It's a mixture of profs, industry and graduate students doing a full MMI run through. I will be one of the interviewers (I think, the list isn't final yet), and an email was sent out to all grad students asking for help with the interviews. We have a very set evaluation criteria though so it's just good practice talking in front of someone and then we can give you the "answers" we are provided with.

I actually did them in 2018, and thought they were really well done, but some of the feedback was...meh. Just good practice, but I wouldn't get overly worked up and change your whole style over one persons comments.

Oh ok, that’s super helpful!
Yeah, I’m definitely going to go - I don’t have much practice with interview-like situations.
I’ll keep your feedback comment in mind haha!

Hi all! Just wanted to pop in and say congratulations to everyone who received an interview offer!

As we near closer to your big days, I have my two-cents to share (if prepping for "non-preppable" tests is your style hehe). Keep in mind this is what worked for ME and may not be the case for everyone!
  • Essay: I practiced writing timed essays on a variety of subjects at random, from personal statements to hot topics and current events. Get comfy writing under pressure and aim for quality over quantity.
  • MMI: Deep breaths - before and after every station. Treat each station as a fresh start, because it is! I flubbed up a few times between nerves and tech issues. It is what it is, breathe and move on.
    • I practiced everywhere (on my drive to school, in the shower, before bed, at work...). The goal was to get comfortable delivering a longer, complete response within the timeframe. HOWEVER, there is something to be said about delivering a succinct and complete response, then ending the station early. Do what works for you!
    • There are books out there (e.g. BeMo) that have decent pointers, but do think critically about their advice. I think authenticity and personality mean more in the end than a cookie-cutter answer. That said, I did read all the books cover to cover 😅
Even after all that, I went in absolutely riddled with anxiety but guess what? So does everyone AND your interviewers know that! Be kind to yourself. When the dust settled, I realized I'd actually had fun.

No matter the outcome of the application process, be proud of yourself. I tried three times, other people in my class have tried more while others got in on their first try. We will all be amazing vets one day, regardless. Don't give up and good luck!

Oh, thinking back to last year's MMI I do actually have some advice. It sounds very simple, but important to remember when under stress:

Read the prompt.

Like, read it twice before you formulate your answer. Think you're done and you have extra time? Go back and read it again and make sure you've actually answered the questions/prompt that was given. It seems obvious, and they will tell you the same thing, but it happens a ton where people only answer half the question and completely ignore a second part. As an interviewer last year it was very, very obvious who had panicked and didn't read the whole prompt or didn't read all the parts of a question etc. Sometimes the grading rubric will specifically mark you on whether you addressed everything that you were indicated to, so it's a very easy way to lose points if you miss hitting a question because you were nervous and didn't read as closely as you should have. It's fine even to verbally go back over the prompt at the end, you can't lose marks for it. They'd much rather hear you repeat the questions to yourself like "what is my favourite colour? Yes, I answered that. Why is it my favourite colour? Yes, I addressed that". Much better to go back and ensure you hit every part if you have extra time than to miss out on easy points. It can also be settling to your nerves to go back and summarize that to yourself so that you won't be wondering later if you actually did answer the whole question if you finish a station early (which is fine).

Reactions: 6 users
Hi all! Just wanted to pop in and say congratulations to everyone who received an interview offer!

As we near closer to your big days, I have my two-cents to share (if prepping for "non-preppable" tests is your style hehe). Keep in mind this is what worked for ME and may not be the case for everyone!
  • Essay: I practiced writing timed essays on a variety of subjects at random, from personal statements to hot topics and current events. Get comfy writing under pressure and aim for quality over quantity.
  • MMI: Deep breaths - before and after every station. Treat each station as a fresh start, because it is! I flubbed up a few times between nerves and tech issues. It is what it is, breathe and move on.
    • I practiced everywhere (on my drive to school, in the shower, before bed, at work...). The goal was to get comfortable delivering a longer, complete response within the timeframe. HOWEVER, there is something to be said about delivering a succinct and complete response, then ending the station early. Do what works for you!
    • There are books out there (e.g. BeMo) that have decent pointers, but do think critically about their advice. I think authenticity and personality mean more in the end than a cookie-cutter answer. That said, I did read all the books cover to cover 😅
Even after all that, I went in absolutely riddled with anxiety but guess what? So does everyone AND your interviewers know that! Be kind to yourself. When the dust settled, I realized I'd actually had fun.

No matter the outcome of the application process, be proud of yourself. I tried three times, other people in my class have tried more while others got in on their first try. We will all be amazing vets one day, regardless. Don't give up and good luck!
Thank you for this! How would you suggest going about to find essay prompts? Just google “essay prompts” and go with anything that seems somewhat thought-provoking? Or is there a good website to use as a resource?

Thank you for this! How would you suggest going about to find essay prompts? Just google “essay prompts” and go with anything that seems somewhat thought-provoking? Or is there a good website to use as a resource?
Yeah I think I made a running list of "interview/essay" questions from google, I wish I still had it! A few vet schools in the states also supply example questions if you look hard enough, but theirs are more panel-style interviews rather than MMI/essay so keep that in mind. I also brushed up on some position statements on the CVMA website to stay caught up on current events. Hope that helps!

Has anyone got any follow-up emails since the interview invites went out?

Hello first time applicant here. I know this question has been asked before but has anyone received any updates/follow up emails after the invites? Was hoping to receive a follow up email this week.

Nope. I’ll send an email now and maybe I’ll try to call Kristy on Monday or Tuesday. We need something to make it to the zoom orientation on Thursday… haha

Hello first time applicant here. I know this question has been asked before but has anyone received any updates/follow up emails after the invites? Was hoping to receive a follow up email this week.

No - I’ve been checking my email obsessively

Info will be sent out this afternoon!

The email update did come today but ended up in my junk folder for some reason, so be sure to check!

Scary! Maybe add her email address to your contacts and it won’t happen again?

Good luck everyone for your essay and interview!! You will all do great, and you should all give yourselves a huge pat on the back for making it this far! I'll be in the post-interview Zoom call to debrief and chat with you guys to bring the nerves down and answer any questions you guys might have, so I will see you all on the other side!

Just double checking - Kristy wants us to email her with names of vets we’ve worked with?

Is anyone else getting a server error every time they try and upload their ID photo? I've tried multiple photos (I have checked that it's a .jpg) as well as multiple web browsers, it just won't let me upload it :(

Is anyone else getting a server error every time they try and upload their ID photo? I've tried multiple photos (I have checked that it's a .jpg) as well as multiple web browsers, it just won't let me upload it :(
I know this isn't much help but I remember last year someone had this issue so you are not alone! You could try reaching out to Kristy or IT directly associated with the company they use for the MMI

Strongly recommend attending the zoom debrief session after your MMI if you can spare the time (and not just because I'll be part of that panel but it doesn't hurt 😉). When they sent offers out in June for my year, I remember feeling a little lost and confused with the overwhelming amount of information suddenly being sent my way. So, come with any questions you might have about the program/DVLC/logistics/moving to another city etc. My classmates and I are excited to share what we know and help answer any questions you may have! Best of luck to you all, the c/o 2026 is rooting for you!

Good luck on your essay today, everyone!
giphy.gif

Essay done ✅

I felt like there was so much more I could’ve written but hopefully what I got down was good enough… hopefully it’s not just me who feels that way!

I had a formula going in… still not sure whether that helped or hindered me
Definitely had to go back and cut things for word count though
*edit: I wish we had a debrief for the essay.

Last edited:
I wrote slowly and ended up with 746 not cutting anything. I wish I’d practiced writing essays because I think I would’ve been a bit faster, but still only had so much room so who knows if it would’ve been all that different. I believe I made good points but some of them were better supported than others. I had more examples in mind that I probably could’ve snuck in if I’d written faster in the beginning. Overall I don’t feel terrible about it so I’m glad about that!