Waitlist C/O 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefullyfuturedogtor

Reaction score
Thought to start one since I haven't seen one!
Currently waitlisted for UC Davis

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted at Colorado!! Praying I get off the waitlist

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist oos oregon !

Waitlist WSU. 💕
Still waiting on other decisions of course!

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted oos Oregon state! Waiting on 4 more school decisions

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone think they will lose the deposit they put down by April 15th if they got off the waitlist at another school? I keep getting asked this question by coworkers/ family and I have no clue lol.

Does anyone think they will lose the deposit they put down by April 15th if they got off the waitlist at another school? I keep getting asked this question by coworkers/ family and I have no clue lol.
That’s the general theme. It’s basically good faith money- you put a deposit down to secure your seat and you lose it if you back out.

Reactions: 2 users
What deposit?
When you accept the offer of admission from the school of your choice, you put down a deposit (often $500). This deposit is used toward your tuition, but should you decide to go to a different school and withdraw from the first one, you will lose that deposit.

Waitlisted international UPEI AVC. Anyone know how soon/how quick people might get pulled off the wait-list?

waitlisted at davis and cornell, waiting on four schools - hoping fingers crosssed for all of us and we all get one <3

Waitlisted at K-State, waiting to hear from four others :)

Waitlisted at KSU! Interviewing with Minnesota this Friday so fingers crossed that goes well :)

Waitlisted IS at A&M- crossing my fingers because this is my only chance for this cycle!

Last edited:
  • Care
Waitlisted OOS at Auburn and LSU. Waiting to hear back from Mississippi 🤞🏻

Waitlisted OOS Auburn, waiting to hear back from Purdue and LMU

That’s the general theme. It’s basically good faith money- you put a deposit down to secure your seat and you lose it if you back out.
I apologize but I am a first-time applicant and just got waitlisted by my #1 school, so if I accept a seat at my backup the only repercussion is losing the deposit and nothing else correct? The update for waitlist does not come out until after the deadline for SDSU.

Waitlisted at Auburn, waiting to hear back from UGA :’)

IS alternate for UW #17, still waiting on 3 others (Iowa, LMU and Mizzou)

How likely is it to be pulled off the waitlist for your IS? I don't understand how it works to be pulled off up until school starts. Is there a deadline for people to get back to the school if they are offered a spot off the waitlist? How do they move to the next candidate?

How likely is it to be pulled off the waitlist for your IS? I don't understand how it works to be pulled off up until school starts. Is there a deadline for people to get back to the school if they are offered a spot off the waitlist? How do they move to the next candidate?
From my understanding, it varies with each school. OOS waitlists move more than IS waitlists because some OOS applicants get into their IS school and want to go there for location and tuition costs. Usually you see movement around April 15th because everyone has to either decline or accept their seat. Sometimes people pull out last minute before classes start, so that's when some people may be pulled off the waitlist! I think it also depends on if your school has separate IS and OOS waitlists or if they're combined. Some schools rank their waitlists, and others just reevaluate all applicants on the waitlist every time a spot opens up and pick someone. I am also new to this process, so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Each school will be a little different, so it’s always best to check with your school! They will tell you how long you have to make a choice when they make the waitlist offer, of course.

Following the 17 April deadline, most students will have made a choice, but there are often ripple effects. A seat opens at school A, and student 1 is called off the waitlist. Student 1 decides to take the seat at school A and gives up their seat at school B, where they had accepted before the deadline.

Now school B has to call someone off the waitlist, and so on, until the classes are once again filled.

Things happen, illness, accidents, etc that might cause someone to give up a seat or defer to the following year, which accounts for why seats may become available through the summer.

Most seats will be filled by the end of April, however. People may be called off the waitlist before the deadline if enough candidates decline their offers in advance. For example, Student X is accepted to 4 OOS schools and their IS. They know they’re going to attend their in state, so they can formally decline all of the OOS offers well in advance of the mid-April deadline, which can in turn cause movement on the OOS waitlists for those schools.

Last edited:
From my understanding, it varies with each school. OOS waitlists move more than IS waitlists because some OOS applicants get into their IS school and want to go there for location and tuition costs. Usually you see movement around April 15th because everyone has to either decline or accept their seat. Sometimes people pull out last minute before classes start, so that's when some people may be pulled off the waitlist! I think it also depends on if your school has separate IS and OOS waitlists or if they're combined. Some schools rank their waitlists, and others just reevaluate all applicants on the waitlist every time a spot opens up and pick someone. I am also new to this process, so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
I am new too, but you hit everything I understand so far.

I apologize but I am a first-time applicant and just got waitlisted by my #1 school, so if I accept a seat at my backup the only repercussion is losing the deposit and nothing else correct? The update for waitlist does not come out until after the deadline for SDSU.
Always check with the school, of course- but that is generally correct. There are plenty of people who want seats, so the schools aren’t going to hold grudges against you if you decide not to attend their program.

My daughter got pulled off the wait list 1 week before classes started. Her school only has 1 combined IS OOS wait list. Like others have said, every school is different.

My daughter got pulled off the wait list 1 week before classes started. Her school only has 1 combined IS OOS wait list. Like others have said, every school is different.
This is what I am afraid of. How did she drop everything and move in so quickly?

Waitlisted OOS at UMN, interview waitlist for Illinois.

• Love
  • Care