Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Incoming students......class of 2019. Were you given any other information (binder mailed?) etc.
other than your nucleus ID and password and information on that site to date?

I got an email from Student Affairs I believe with a New Student Welcome Booklet as an attached pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know if PCOM typically sees any movement in July? Still holding on to some hope here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if PCOM typically sees any movement in July? Still holding on to some hope here!
A good place to search is previous year's sites. I am on other sites (2014-2015) because of my applications this year and other schools seem to be having some movement. A few are beginning the third week in July however. (orientation) PCOM's orientation begins August 10th. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
There were some acceptances pulled from the waitlist throughout July the previous 2 years. So there is definitely still hope. Good luck to us both!

Reactions: 2 users
Incoming students, class of 2019................Where are you living in Philadelphia? Willing to share information of location etc.

Hey all! Congrats to all of you future docs, can't wait to follow in your footsteps in a year :) I'm gonna be a biomedical sciences student in the Fall, and I had a question about parking I'd rather not ask the Bursar office and was wondering if anyone could help me out with. So according to the website, general public parking in the garage is a flat $5/day that's paid upon exiting the garage, but it also says that garage parking is free after 5PM. So does that mean that say if I were to enter the garage at 4:45 and get a ticket, but if I left at like 10:15PM, I wouldn't have to pay? I ask this because biomedical sciences classes are in the evening and start at 5, and I'm thinking if I'd be able to save a ton on parking if I didn't have to pay those days I have classes. Anyone know what the situation is?

Hey all! Congrats to all of you future docs, can't wait to follow in your footsteps in a year :) I'm gonna be a biomedical sciences student in the Fall, and I had a question about parking I'd rather not ask the Bursar office and was wondering if anyone could help me out with. So according to the website, general public parking in the garage is a flat $5/day that's paid upon exiting the garage, but it also says that garage parking is free after 5PM. So does that mean that say if I were to enter the garage at 4:45 and get a ticket, but if I left at like 10:15PM, I wouldn't have to pay? I ask this because biomedical sciences classes are in the evening and start at 5, and I'm thinking if I'd be able to save a ton on parking if I didn't have to pay those days I have classes. Anyone know what the situation is?

I'm fairly sure if you enter before 5 you got to pay regardless of when you leave

I have a quick question regarding letters of rec for those that applied last year. I took research as a class for graded units (BIO XXX) and received a LOR from my PI. When I contacted PCOM to ask if this was ok, I was told it was fine as long as the class code (BIO XXX) was noted in the letter. Seeing as I waived my rights to the letter I have no clue if the class code was noted. On the flip side, I wrote in my primary I received graded units for taking research as a class... Any idea if this letter will count as a science letter? For a few other schools it has counted, but I know every school is different.

I have a quick question regarding letters of rec for those that applied last year. I took research as a class for graded units (BIO XXX) and received a LOR from my PI. When I contacted PCOM to ask if this was ok, I was told it was fine as long as the class code (BIO XXX) was noted in the letter. Seeing as I waived my rights to the letter I have no clue if the class code was noted. On the flip side, I wrote in my primary I received graded units for taking research as a class... Any idea if this letter will count as a science letter? For a few other schools it has counted, but I know every school is different.
You're good.

So, I just checked my application, and everything else is shown as being received except my secondary application (even the secondary fee o.0). Anyone else having this issue? I already submitted the secondary way back last week.

The website says it can take up to 15 business days to be updated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'M IN!!! Omg I am I dreaming??? Literally buried deep in my MCAT book because I was going to retake it THIS FRIDAY and I GOT THE EMAIL!!

Reactions: 12 users
I'M IN!!! Omg I am I dreaming??? Literally buried deep in my MCAT book because I was going to retake it THIS FRIDAY and I GOT THE EMAIL!!
Omg!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! I know you waited as long as I have. Now, spread some of your luck to me.

Reactions: 2 users

Congrats!!!! :)

Congrats!!!! Throw the MCAT books away! I did!

Last edited:
When is the white coat ceremony anyone know?

WHITE COAT CEREMONY –

Saturday, October 3rd @ 1:30pm
on nucleus and was stated about a month ago on this site.

Any incoming student have a copy of the parking application for permit. Contacted the Bursar's office and they said I can find it on Nucleus? Where? Not on there for me! I only have till July 31st to apply!

You are good as long as the class is noted in the letter. They are very strict with research letters. If they don't accept it you just have to have your professor send them notification of the class. Easy to fix just takes time.

Quick question for incoming students. Did you guys do the medical questionnaire form/have your doctor sign it and turn that in? Looks like you need to get like a TB test and blood drawn to prove you have a certain vaccine? sounds annoying, but if its required I probably should do it...

Quick question for incoming students. Did you guys do the medical questionnaire form/have your doctor sign it and turn that in? Looks like you need to get like a TB test and blood drawn to prove you have a certain vaccine? sounds annoying, but if its required I probably should do it...
Yes, the forms for vaccinations etc took a lot of time, at least in my situation. I was lucky that I was working on it before I was admitted to PCOM. Just sent mine off this week. Vaccination dates are not the only thing needed. They want titers indicating that you have the antibodies of the disease in your system. One particular disease that I had as a child, (according to my mother), my titer came back indicating that I did not have the antibodies. Had to get two vaccines (at least 4 weeks apart) to satisfy the requirement. Second titer had to be given. I hope this answered your question. Also had to have a TB test and blood drawn and up to date tetanus!

Yeah it does, thanks! ugh I just wanted to make sure that I HAD to go through all of that stuff before I did it and found out I actually didn't need to.

any word on the waitlist? I have an ounce of hope left...

Just got my acceptance today. I thought I must be dreaming! have to get everything ready in a week but can't wait to see you all!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my acceptance today. I thought I must be dreaming! have to get everything ready in a week but can't wait to see you all!
Wonderful news! The dust still has not settled for some schools yet so it seems! One week to get it all done!!!!! My thoughts are with you. You will not have time to eat in the next week! lol If you have any questions etc, many of us on this site who are matriculating will be more than willing to help you! Many came to my rescue!!

Last edited:
how much is the deposit for PCOM?

Still haven't heard back from PCOM. I was complete August 5th or so. My stats are 27 MCAT, 3.45 gpa. Has anyone with similar stats gotten an interview?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to be in the Philly area for about a week and am hoping to take a visit over to PCOM as it is my top choice! Anybody have recommendations on whether I should notify the school that I've applied and am interested to learn more about the program? Are there any student ambassadors who I may be able to meet with? Could I potentially observe a class? I noticed on their website they have certain tour dates/open houses, but none of those overlap for when I am there. Would love to hear from anyone that has visited on the best way to show my interest and see the school! Thanks!

I'm going to be in the Philly area for about a week and am hoping to take a visit over to PCOM as it is my top choice! Anybody have recommendations on whether I should notify the school that I've applied and am interested to learn more about the program? Are there any student ambassadors who I may be able to meet with? Could I potentially observe a class? I noticed on their website they have certain tour dates/open houses, but none of those overlap for when I am there. Would love to hear from anyone that has visited on the best way to show my interest and see the school! Thanks!

I'm a current first year. Usually tours happen during open houses and interviews. I went to an open house but went back afterwards when deciding between PCOM and another school after my acceptance. I called them up and went to student affairs. They gave me a tour and I talked to some students and was able to make a decision on schools. So call and ask but no guarantees! As far as sitting in on classes I haven't heard of that happening. The auditoriums fire code is for 260 students and we have 270 in the class so I don't know if they can have visitors. The lecturers are all very good though. All PHDs (DOs and MDs also), give clinical correlations, fairly interesting. My recommendation is to call. I think the OMM faculty would probably be the most excited to talk to potential students! The Nicholas brothers run that show mostly.

(BTW this thread was for last cycle!)

Last edited:
Still have not heard from PCOM. Is there any hope left or shall I start studying again for the MCAT. =(

Still have not heard from PCOM. Is there any hope left or shall I start studying again for the MCAT. =(

You are in last years thread you would most likely get a response in the 2015-2016 thread!(=