Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying here as well. I visited here for an open house, and thought it was pretty cool. This school is actually what started my interest in osteopathic medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Top DO school for me! IS, not that it matters (I don't think).

do they accept students with a 7 in Verbal?

do they accept students with a 7 in Verbal?

They do mention an 8+ in all sections to be considered "competitive." But, I think if everything else is in line, you'll be cool.

Applying here as well. Probably my number one choice. I LOVE Philly!

Applied here OOS. Never been to Philly, but I'd love to check it out! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully PCOM is quick with sending secondaries... but I have heard from a source that we will not get secondaries till mid to late July. :yuck: I just filled out my VCOM secondary.. wish I would get PCOM soon. Once they submit June 27th first round of MD we will probably get slammed.

I meant since they don't send secondaries right away at least an email that they received your primary. That's what another school I applied to did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend said that PCOM has not started anything for the next class yet. They do not know when they are going to start yet.

Applying here as well (OOS). Does anyone know the IS:OOS matriculant ratio, just out of curiosity?

Yikes! This isn't my account! Someone needs to learn to log out of shared computers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Still no secondary yet, I keep getting "informational" emails that psyche me out though lol

secondary wont be until around aug 1

My friend said that PCOM has not started anything for the next class yet. They do not know when they are going to start yet.

Not true, we've known when we were going to start since like November. It's been on the Nucleus

Does anyone know if you can substitute one of the three science faculty letters with a letter from a DO?

Does anyone know if you can substitute one of the three science faculty letters with a letter from a DO?

I asked this during open house last year (November 2013) and was told "no". Three faculty letters are required if you aren't going through a "pre-med committee" (i'm not). These can be from any combination of undergraduate proper, undergrad post-bac, and/or graduate school.

I'm beginning to feel anxious! Can't wait to get the secondary! Aiiii!

I'm beginning to feel anxious! Can't wait to get the secondary! Aiiii!

Breathe. It'll get here. You are in the same boat as everyone else waiting, and well ahead of people who won't even be verified by the time you get the secondary.

This process is crazy making, but we will get through it. Find something else to do/work on/think about instead of just waiting. The time will pass much faster that way.

Reactions: 1 users
I kind of want to call and ask because I will have to make a decision at lecom before I even interview here

Am I the only one happy that they're waiting to send the secondary??? I'm swamped right now...

Reactions: 1 users
PCOM's my top choice school! Been that way since I decided on DO. Retaking mcats this Sept. 6 and shadowing will finish by October at the latest. Is submitting primary by mid-Sept or mid-Oct really late for PCOM because of rolling admissions? I wanted to put all my focus on MCATs first, but I'm wondering if it's actually better to juggle for Fall 2015 cycle.

PCOM's my top choice school! Been that way since I decided on DO. Retaking mcats this Sept. 6 and shadowing will finish by October at the latest. Is submitting primary by mid-Sept or mid-Oct really late for PCOM because of rolling admissions? I wanted to put all my focus on MCATs first, but I'm wondering if it's actually better to juggle for Fall 2015 cycle.

You only want to apply once when your application is the strongest it can be - I don't know your stats but I would honestly wait until the next cycle if I were you.

You only want to apply once when your application is the strongest it can be - I don't know your stats but I would honestly wait until the next cycle if I were you.
I see. Thank you. I really want to give it a go though because, as for many of us, med school is a dream goal and it's a bit devastating to pushm (I'm already backed up by a year), but I definitely agree with what you're saying about applying when my app is the strongest.

Here are some of my stats: 3.5 cgpa, over 300 clinical hours (volunteered in oncology and ER dept. at HUP), over 300 non-clinical volunteer hours (volunteered at many places with service fraternity, including senior home for two years and soup kitchen for two years), Vice President of Service 2013-2014 of Alpha Phi Omega, started school official intramural andclub badminton, and won 1st place in citywide Psychology research competition against graduate and other undergraduate students. I believe I am currently only missing my mcat scores and shadowing a DO (preferably with LOR). What do you think?

Last edited: