Oklahoma future 2011ers part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A little birdie told me that Dr. Chung will be returning! :thumbup:

That's great! I was starting to get depressed after all the griping about how O'Don's last test was a lot harder/different than the previous ones. I hope the birdie is right and Chung sticks around for next year too.

Members don't see this ad :)
The sign of future doctors...can't stand to take a vacation. :D

This is perhaps blasphemy, but I would prefer to just go straight through including the summer (then you'd get financial aid for the summer term). I was REALLY attracted to Baylor's 1.5 preclinical years (and tuition)--even considered sitting out another year to establish TX residency to improve my chances. Actually Dean Hall mentioned at the interview that Baylor's curriculum was her favorite.

As an undergrad, I was totally sold on the U.S. higher ed system with its liberal arts/gened foundation as opposed to a state-funded apprenticeship/vocational approach common to other countries. Since actually having to try to make a living with a science degree, however, I have reversed my position completely. As for this step 1 material, there is no reason why they can't teach this stuff in a much cheaper format. Giant waste of time and money to do it this way. :mad: Or maybe we just haven't gotten to the part where knowledge of a Williamson ether synthesis is relevant.

Back on the topic of college football, I shall remain unexcited about it until I see a playoff system. The excess of stupid mistakes and missed kicks relative to the NFL has caused me to lose interest (and yes, I went to K-State when they were a national football power though I never went to a game).

Stoops was the highest paid college coach in the country until today, yet he has a lackluster January record of 4-3, the only notable victory resulting in a lone BCS trophy against a Florida State team that probably wasn't even a top ten team without Weinke's prized receiver. To hear people speak of him around here, however, you'd think he was a God. Apparently the hook and ladder that Boise State pulled hasn't worked for them all year because they practice it every day. A little too full of ourselves to scout? Yet with the resources available to guarantee the guy 3.45 mil in addition to whatever extra we pay him at Childrens to hug sick kids on TV, I still hear of my classmates complaining that the school would not let them take nursing or allied health prereq's due to limited class space. All the while, tuition rises.

Sorry for the rant. I'm ill.

Cool :cool:

That's great! I was starting to get depressed after all the griping about how O'Don's last test was a lot harder/different than the previous ones.

Don't worry about our complaining. What matters is USMLE. If board questions are really O'Don caliber, then I'd rather see them now than later.

I was REALLY attracted to Baylor's 1.5 preclinical years (and tuition)--even considered sitting out another year to establish TX residency to improve my chances.

I too have considered finishing my pre-reqs and retaking the MCAT because I like the way Baylor does things, but I'm not getting any younger, and I can learn anywhere because I usually teach myself, although it would let me save up some more money before school starts as I am actually going to try to make it through med school with no debt (I know I'm crazy). That was the longest run-on sentence I have ever written.

Actually Dean Hall mentioned at the interview that Baylor's curriculum was her favorite.

If Dean Hall thinks that Baylor's curriculum is the way to go, why not change to it? What's the hold-up? I definitely won't change my mind and go somewhere else because of it.

If Dean Hall thinks that Baylor's curriculum is the way to go, why not change to it? What's the hold-up? I definitely won't change my mind and go somewhere else because of it.

:confused: :idea: :confused: :idea::confused: :idea: :confused::idea:

Yeah in the long run, it's become clear to me that all schools give the exact same material. (Although if you wanna know about gout, you've come to the right place!) The USMLE is standardized, so the schools are too. A systems-based approach just seems a little bit more relevant to me than a subject-based one.

Thing about Baylor--admission seems to be part voodoo. I'm pretty sure that I took a class or two five years ago that would keep me out. Competition is just too great. They claim to be private, but it is more public than most public schools. I am curious about two things--why did they switch from TMDSAS to AMCAS, and how do they manage to get by offering a 12K tuition? I suspect that I already know the answers...

That's good news! Any update on your grade hell? :luck:

The current plan is to wait and see what Dr. Chung has to say when (if) he returns. I'm pretty confident that I will get my grade if he does come back. Unfortunately because what was said during orientation was a little confusing (poor grammar) it's not going to mandate a grade change. :mad: But, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

"The preferred term is trekker, not trekkie...If it came down to choosing between Star Trek and a girl, I'd have to choose Star Trek." Please turn on Beauty and the Geek if you are not watching it already.

For you 2010ers, if you hadn't noticed on the hippoBB, you can get 2nd edition Neuroscience book in good-mint cond for $20 at Rattcliffes. The one I bought was mint and the CD wasn't even opened. 3rd editions are ~$100.

I bought one today after going by the mod for the first time since parole and picking up all the junk I ran off and left after that HB final. I'm hoping that'll be the only book I buy and just syllabuses for the rest. :thumbup:

The current plan is to wait and see what Dr. Chung has to say when (if) he returns. I'm pretty confident that I will get my grade if he does come back. Unfortunately because what was said during orientation was a little confusing (poor grammar) it's not going to mandate a grade change. :mad: But, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Smitty--

This is just my opinion and you have to do what feels right to you - but, hey, I forgot to tell you on page 25 that your kiddo is really cute.

I think you're making a mistake to wait for Chung. From what I know, I think the chances that he'll be back are just about zero. The problem is, the longer you wait the less likely it is that even Chung could fix the problem. Chung's grammar may not have been perfect, but as far as I know, everyone in the room understood that ARS would not be used to hurt your grade - I know I did. There's no shame in a "C" in anatomy, but a "B" is a lot better and it's a pretty important grade. If I were in your position, I would not want to go through a confrontation or anything like that, but my advice would still be - go to Dr. Schmidt next Monday while something can still be done about this. I don't think you'll have to be aggressive, because this is so clearly not right.

Might not be a fun experience, but I think it's worth it.

NonTrad - I totally agree. I met with Dr. Schmidt today with all of my anatomy grades, the syllabus, my ipod with the lecture, and a transcript that I typed out of what was said. I am not taking this lying down! He was the one who told me that Dr. Chung would be returning within a few weeks. He also said that if he doesn't return pretty early in the semester that he would sit down with me and O'Don about it and because the wording was unclear he probably wouldn't mandate a grade change.

For all you 2011er's the chances of Chung's return are looking up. :thumbup:

NonTrad - I totally agree. I met with Dr. Schmidt today with all of my anatomy grades, the syllabus, my ipod with the lecture, and a transcript that I typed out of what was said. I am not taking this lying down! He was the one who told me that Dr. Chung would be returning within a few weeks. He also said that if he doesn't return pretty early in the semester that he would sit down with me and O'Don about it and because the wording was unclear he probably wouldn't mandate a grade change.

For all you 2011er's the chances of Chung's return are looking up. :thumbup:
Good for you! Of course Dr. S isn't going to promise a grade change when O'Don isn't in the room. Sounds pretty positive to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!!

And I would be pleased as anything to be wrong about Chung's returning. That's great.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061227/ap_on_re_us/sex_blog_lawsuit

If you're bored... this is relevant for all the comments on pre-allo about "Do adcoms look at myspace / facebook / xanga?!?!?!?" but I thought I'd post it here for fun.

I also wish we didn't choke during bowl games.... I turned off the TV as soon as Boise State made their 2 point conversion. Why we didn't go for it???? We did it once (twice, actually) earlier. I got so Fing tired of listening to the commentators talk about David & Goliath & blah blah blah, Cinderella story... Please! Why does everyone hate OU???? :mad:

On an unrelated note, does anyone happen to have Netter's flashcard's or something along those lines they'd like to donate to me for the upcoming semester? I'm taking anatomy & I might as well have all the tools I can, right? I just don't feel like purchasing any more stuff. Let me know - I live in da city so it wouldn't be hard to meet up on campus w/you.

Actually, I'm thinking I'll be at the OUCOM library this Sunday to interview prep (i.e. read through old NEJM & JAMA). My interview is Wednesday! Woohoo! Except I was more ready for it back in November now I'm just a little more nervous :eek: . Cheers to knowing my fate in +/- 2 weeks! Barring any major snowstorms, of course! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning a trip to Las Vegas in May and I wrote it on my calendar and I wrote Vagus. Will life ever be as it used to be?

J-wax, you are welcome to borrow my anatomy books. I have Netters and Rohens and the netters flash cards. You have to come and get them though. I live in SW okc. 802-3373.

I'm planning a trip to Las Vegas in May and I wrote it on my calendar and I wrote Vagus. Will life ever be as it used to be?
lol

I've been having med school dreams every night for the last week or so.
Or they at least have someone from school in em. One had a bunch of alien spaceships and some of my modsters. I think I watched that Disclosure Project on youtube too many times.

check this out...south Korean med students get robots to practice delivering babies. http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...OC_0_US-KOREA-BABIES-ROBOT.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

Jwax, when they ask you what you've done since your last interview tell them you were the 2006 Time Magazine's Person of the Year. :D Good Luck. :thumbup:

"But I'm too wet to go to jail!":laugh:

They couldn't arrest them for anything? How about reckless driving and public indecency/indecent exposure?

10er's--is the calendar correct that we have no PCM next week? The syllabus says that we have week one of our rotations, but we have yet to receive our assignments to my knowledge.

Hey folks.

We're finally back in town and looking to do some used car shopping this weekend.

Any advice or how much you can reasonably expect to haggle down the advertised price? We're looking at used cars in the Ford Fusion/Toyota Corolla size range, possibly the next step up if the price is right. My wife's Taurus has seen enough miles and is starting to give us more trouble than it's worth.

We've got her old Taurus for a trade-in as well as a little saved for a down payment, which should bring down the price a little from what I can tell.

This is the first time either of us will have bought a car without adult supervision. ;)

Any advice or how much you can reasonably expect to haggle down the advertised price? We're looking at used cars in the Ford Fusion/Toyota Corolla size range, possibly the next step up if the price is right. My wife's Taurus has seen enough miles and is starting to give us more trouble than it's worth.

We've got her old Taurus for a trade-in as well as a little saved for a down payment, which should bring down the price a little from what I can tell.

I've never bought a used car from a dealer before, but I dread those situations. Last time I made my deal online with Fowler Honda. I got a new Civic at 15K with 1.9% financing. Very low pressure, very reasonable salesman (though the dealer's warranty was a waste).

My best guess is that it will depend on what you're bringing to the table. If you're trading and have excellent credit, then they will want to do business with you, and you should be able to bring them down. Just tell them what you're willing to pay and leave if they start in with the games. With some of the bigger dealers in the metro, it's true that they won't care if you walk out (especially if your credit sucks), but they are also the ones known for poor quality.

Depending on the age of your car, you might also have better luck selling it private party and then just making a bigger down payment.

I have to say that the auto industry is one in which both foreign companies seem to make a superior product and dealers can easily get away with screwing the consumer. For years I've been looking for that elusive dealer whom everybody seems to agree is honest, but I've come up short so far.

On the issue of financial advice, how does anybody feel about claiming spring tuition on 2006 for a lifetime learning credit? I believe that the rule says you have to pay for it in 2006 for it to count, however, mine is covered by scholarships and loans, so the bill has already been paid by monies tendered on my behalf. Thing is, my 2006 income was significantly larger than my 2007 income will be, so the credit has much more value to me in 06.

Hey folks.

We're finally back in town and looking to do some used car shopping this weekend.

This is the first time either of us will have bought a car without adult supervision. ;)

the advertised price is meaningless. use a good website like edmunds http://www.edmunds.com/apps/usedmatrix/UsedMatrix to figure out what the car is worth and then bargain from there. it is also wise to figure out what you taurus is worth bc it doesnt matter if you get a good deal on the car you buy if they give you a bad deal on the trade in. edmunds is great bc it gives you what the car is worth dealer retail, private party, and trade-in value. if you can buy something a few hundred dollars over trade-in value then you are probably getting a good deal. if their best offer is over dealer retail value you should prob looks elsewhere. ive never actually bought a used car on my own. its one of those things i feel certain i will screw up the first time.

Having bought a couple used and new cars on my own (2 & 2), here's my advice. Do your homework. Don't buy the first time you step on a dealer's lot. Go to all of the dealer's lots that you think have the car you are looking for. Test drive all of them. All used cars are not created equal, even if the price is. Know the dollar differences for different features (auto vs manual, etc.).

I agree that the advertised prices are bunk. Check out kbb.com and nada.com as well as the edmunds. Even these prices are at best ballparks. I have bought below what they suggest and I have bought above as well. It depends on the market. Don't expect to get out of your trade what they suggest, but don't get totally screwed either.

I work with a guy who ran his father's car lot while he was being treated for cancer. He tells me that there is a buyer for everything at any price. Know what you want to pay (make sure it's realistic according to the aforementioned websites) and don't pay more than that. I have walked out on deals for $200 difference on a $25,000 car because the guy was just trying to milk me. I went down the road and got the deal I wanted. Be patient.

On the issue of financial advice, how does anybody feel about claiming spring tuition on 2006 for a lifetime learning credit? I believe that the rule says you have to pay for it in 2006 for it to count, however, mine is covered by scholarships and loans, so the bill has already been paid by monies tendered on my behalf. Thing is, my 2006 income was significantly larger than my 2007 income will be, so the credit has much more value to me in 06.
Well, I'm back in my winter chalet in the hood in OKC. I got back in the early hours Friday morning. The dog had been acting like her tummy was upset so I put her in the backyard but once we went to bed, I was out until after noon. Apparently she did have an upset tummy because there was an accident (I'll spare you the details) sprayed from my bedroom to the back door, which covers every carpeted room in the house. Had to go to WalMart to buy a "Green Machine" extractor and, five hours and two bottles of shampoo later, that's how my afternoon went. I should be glad it didn't happen on a school day. The carpet is certainly nice and clean.

Now that I've had my "share and care"... Wiz, I haven't researched the lifetime learning credit, I'm embarrassed to admit - my MS is in taxation, but you'd never know it. I'm in the same position you are - 2006 income will be much higher than 2007. I know you can't claim Spring tuition but you can certainly claim the Fall part of tuition that was paid with loans - the fact that it was a loan and you didn't pay cash is irrelevant - it's ultimately coming from your assets.

At least, that's the general taxation principle. Since I'm in the same boat, I'll research it and get back to ya.

Now that I've had my "share and care"... Wiz, I haven't researched the lifetime learning credit, I'm embarrassed to admit - my MS is in taxation, but you'd never know it. I'm in the same position you are - 2006 income will be much higher than 2007. I know you can't claim Spring tuition but you can certainly claim the Fall part of tuition that was paid with loans - the fact that it was a loan and you didn't pay cash is irrelevant - it's ultimately coming from your assets.

At least, that's the general taxation principle. Since I'm in the same boat, I'll research it and get back to ya.

Well I've been working on it today. I made too much money in 06 to claim lifetime learning :( The student loan interest deduction is also for people making less than me, so I'm out of luck there too.

Married people can make something like 110K and still take the educational credit. :smuggrin:

Also, there is presently no "tuition and fee" deduction line on the 1040 (my only saving grace). My online H&R tax calculator says that Uncle Sam won't let you consider it until February, and I think that the cap is still at 4K. That means it wouldn't help me to claim spring anyway especially since I had financial aid apply all of my scholarships to that term's tuititon and fees.

You could claim Spring, but you may have earned too much for 2006. You can claim the loan portion but not the scholarship portion. I earned too much at the Pink Palace through 7/31 to claim much of anything (I bet you did, too, Wiz). But if I work next summer at the hospital, I bet I can wipe out my entire federal tax liability. Yippee!! You might want to save Spring for 2007 taxes.

Lifetime Learning Credit Questions and Answers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.11. If a student (who is not claimed as a dependent on anyone's Federal income tax return) pays qualified tuition and related expenses using a combination of a Pell Grant, a loan, a gift from a family member, and some personal savings, what expenses may be taken into account in calculating the Lifetime Learning Credit the student may claim?

A.11. The student may take into account only out-of-pocket expenses in calculating the Lifetime Learning Credit. Qualified tuition and related expenses paid with the student's earnings, a loan, a gift, an inheritance, or personal savings (including savings from a qualified state tuition program) are taken into account in calculating the credit amount. However, qualified tuition and related expenses paid with a Pell Grant or other tax-free scholarship, a tax-free distribution from an Education IRA, or tax-free employer-provided educational assistance are not taken into account in calculating the credit amount.

Q.14. May a parent or student claim a Lifetime Learning Credit for tuition paid in advance of when the academic period begins?

A.14. Generally, the credit is available only for payments of qualified tuition and related expenses that cover an academic period beginning in the same calendar year as the year in which payment is made. (An academic period begins on the first day of classes, and does not include periods of orientation, counseling, or vacation.) An exception, however, allows a parent or student to claim a Lifetime Learning Credit for payments of qualified tuition and related expenses made during the calendar year to cover an academic period that begins in January, February, or March of the following taxable year. Because the Lifetime Learning Credit does not apply to expenses paid before July 1, 1998, this exception does not apply to tuition paid before that date to cover academic periods beginning before or after that date.

(From IRS Notice 97-60.)

Income limits increased. The amount of your lifetime learning credit for 2005 is gradually reduced (phased out) if your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is between $43,000 and $53,000 ($87,000 and $107,000 if you file a joint return). You cannot claim a credit if your MAGI is $53,000 or more ($107,000 or more if you file a joint return). This is an increase from the 2004 limits of $42,000 and $52,000 ($85,000 and $105,000 if filing a joint return). See Effect of the Amount of Your Income on the Amount of Your Credit, later, for more information.

(From Publication 970, 2005.)

Thanks!

Since I've had my income split over multiple jobs, I've been claiming zero and having extra taken out to cover the gap. I should come close to breaking even this year, but I should get a refund a year from now.

Thanks!

Since I've had my income split over multiple jobs, I've been claiming zero and having extra taken out to cover the gap. I should come close to breaking even this year, but I should get a refund a year from now.
Don't pay H&R Block too much when you have a tax guy in your mod. People are usually noticeably nicer to me around April 15. :laugh:

Don't pay H&R Block too much when you have a tax guy in your mod. People are usually noticeably nicer to me around April 15. :laugh:

:D Yeah I do the taxes myself and then compare it to what HR calculates. I'm an easy taxpayer because I only take the standard deduction. No spouse, dependents, investments, assets, or property here. They're not too bright with their website since they'll do it all for you and don't ask for money until you want to file. They used to do free taxes with a 37K income cap, but I don't know if that is still the case.

Hey folks.

One possibility if you dread the "haggling" aspect of buying - CarMax. It's like the Wal-Mart of car buying. I don't know how competitive the prices are, but they are at least up-front. Just a thought.

When I bought mine (used 2003 Neon SXT), we basically went up and down Broadway extension up here in Edmond - there's probably at least 10-15 lots to browse.

So... uhh... we bought a new car.

I asked for advice and then promptly ignored it. We got what we feel like was a pretty good deal on a new Focus, so we brought it home. I actually feel better with my wife in a new car versus a used. Oh well. :p It was our first car buying experience, we learned a lot, and like I said, I at least don't feel like we got robbed. :p

It's a pretty blue 2007 Ford Focus 3-door hatchback. I'm loving the gas mileage on it already.

See you all bright and early on Monday! ;)

So... uhh... we bought a new car.

I asked for advice and then promptly ignored it. We got what we feel like was a pretty good deal on a new Focus, so we brought it home. I actually feel better with my wife in a new car versus a used. Oh well. :p It was our first car buying experience, we learned a lot, and like I said, I at least don't feel like we got robbed. :p

It's a pretty blue 2007 Ford Focus 3-door hatchback. I'm loving the gas mileage on it already.

See you all bright and early on Monday! ;)

Cool! :thumbup: When I was in the market for a car last spring, I noticed that they offered great deals on the focus. It's supposed to be a good car.

So I was pathetic and tried to open some of the presentations for physiology, and it looks like they're loaded in that way where you need explorer to open them. :(

Jwax, when they ask you what you've done since your last interview tell them you were the 2006 Time Magazine's Person of the Year. :D Good Luck. :thumbup:

Good advice! Thanks! ;) Do you think they'd realize I was lying?

Thanks, soonereng, exlaw, & benoit for the well-wishes & cheering. Thanks, RachelD for the digits ;) I'll give ya a call sometime soon. I'll probably try to arrange a meeting on my way back from class sometime the week of the 17th.

"But I'm too wet to go to jail!" Hilarious. I also like the robot birthing baby. That's pretty nifty. I want one of those for my birthday!

So, I didn't go up to OUCOM library. Instead, I'm sitting up at IHOP freeloading their internet & browsing articles through OU library ejournals. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, they don't have NEJM on there so I can't read that... which is lame b/c that seems like the good one to read.

My interview shirt is at the cleaners, my suit is haning neatly on the hanger, my boots are all ready to be shined, I've got a manicure set up for Tuesday night... I think I'm ready looks-wise. If only I could remember why I wanted to be a doctor in the first place??? j/k :smuggrin:

Updates on my life: my fiance & I won a free 3 day 2 night trip to Vegas (or Vagus as some of us call it) and I got horrible food poisoning on Thurs nite and was sick all day Friday. The-end.

Good advice! Thanks! ;) Do you think they'd realize I was lying?

Well it's not really a lie since You were the Person of the Year.:laugh: :smuggrin:

time_cover_narrowweb__300x4100.jpg

Way to go Rachel...got yourself an ER rotation :thumbup:

Exlaw is gonna be a GynoGirl ! :D

Nontrad is doing internal/pulm med...sounds interesting.

Freeze got allergy? lol what IS that?

I'll be doing the family practice this time ;)

Exlaw - your preceptor's son is in my mod. He is supposed to be a really nice guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.