Oklahoma future 2011ers part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wiz, I like the PA School Reject line above your avatar...nice. :laugh:

Yeah I was involved in a few disputes over the break in which I wanted to make it clear. What makes me most atypical among med students is that I attempted to become a practitioner by other means (PA, advanced-practice nurse, MD/PhD) even with an MD acceptance in hand before finally just giving up and going the traditional route. The choice that I've made is far from what I would consider to by my dream career. I have spent many hours explaining my situation, but it still seems like nobody gets it.

Exlaw - your preceptor's son is in my mod. He is supposed to be a really nice guy!

Did he come back this semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Exlaw - your preceptor's son is in my mod. He is supposed to be a really nice guy!

I was wondering if there was some relation. Your mod mate seems really nice, so I guess it's not surprising that his dad is nice. :) I feel guilty, though, because I'm trying to see if I can change it to an overnight spot on one of those few available dates, all of which stink.

Did he come back this semester?

I have no idea. I haven't been up to the school yet. I noticed his name on the PCM rotation sheet. I know last semester he was questioning whether this is really what he wanted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine this is the last time you guys should have to hear about this... but my interview is tomorrow! Yay? If I can just make it through this time tomorrow without looking like an idiot or giving attitude, things should be good. Good luck to anyone out there who might be interviewing as well.

*gulp*

I imagine this is the last time you guys should have to hear about this... but my interview is tomorrow! Yay? If I can just make it through this time tomorrow without looking like an idiot or giving attitude, things should be good. Good luck to anyone out there who might be interviewing as well.

*gulp*

Be mature and logical! You got it! :luck:

Let us know how it goes :)

*gulp*

You'll do great! :luck:

*gulp*

Good luck! I'm pretty sure I left feedback on this site but beware, I know there is at least one guy who is a really tough interviewer. Everything I heard was that OU has really laid back interviews and I was caught totally off guard. If you end up in that kind of situation (crossing my fingers for you that you don't!) just have confidence, they do that to everyone they interview and are just trying to make you crack. Sorry to say, it worked on me and is the reason I was a reapplicant. At the workshop all of my interviewers wrote that I was awkard or something awful like that.

Anyway, I know you will do great! Let us know how it goes.

Good luck! I'm pretty sure I left feedback on this site but beware, I know there is at least one guy who is a really tough interviewer. Everything I heard was that OU has really laid back interviews and I was caught totally off guard. If you end up in that kind of situation (crossing my fingers for you that you don't!) just have confidence, they do that to everyone they interview and are just trying to make you crack. Sorry to say, it worked on me and is the reason I was a reapplicant. At the workshop all of my interviewers wrote that I was awkard or something awful like that.

Anyway, I know you will do great! Let us know how it goes.

Yeah, exlaw remembers I was one of the unlucky 10 applicants who got stuck with mean interviewers that were NOT conversational. I don't know if I would say I cracked, but I sure didn't handle it well. At my reapplicant workshop, I was told that I seemed argumentative & defiant & stuff like that during my interview. I get into a corner & I guess I go on the offensive. :rolleyes: Oh well, live & learn, right? Maybe this time I'll get the chatty Kathy interviewers....

Thanks again, guys!

Does anyone else think that Dr. Garrett sounds like Super Dave Osborne?

Hey Jwax,
How did your interview go? :cool:

Hey Jwax,
How did your interview go? :cool:

It went pretty darn good! I think things are looking good :D ! I'll write more in a while, just wanted to say THANKS for everyone's support and I hope I'll get to be in the class of 2011!

It went pretty darn good! I think things are looking good :D ! I'll write more in a while, just wanted to say THANKS for everyone's support and I hope I'll get to be in the class of 2011!

Congratulations!!!! Would love to hear all the details. Will be waiting patiently for your next post. :cool:

I need some advice because I felt like I had a good interview today. But I am a little gunshy about having a good interview. Last year I had a good interview, got waitlisted, and then rejected. Is it a different story when you are a reapplicant and an improved MCAT (24 to 32)? I honestly do not know what to expect.

Hey Jwax, what time was your interview? I interviewed today as well (9:00am). Who were your interviewers and what did you think? Doesn't it feel great to have it over with? PM me about it if you would feel more comfortable.

By the way, I just heard a commercial that said, "Eat Right. Exercise. Take Garlique Daily." Say it fast...I wondered, how do people function if they don't take garlique daily? I take garlique every morning when I wake up and sometimes my wife gets on to me for not putting down the toilet seat!

Members don't see this ad :)
I need some advice because I felt like I had a good interview today. But I am a little gunshy about having a good interview. Last year I had a good interview, got waitlisted, and then rejected. Is it a different story when you are a reapplicant and an improved MCAT (24 to 32)? I honestly do not know what to expect.

From my understanding -- yes, it's a very different story. With a 24, you probably have to have an absolutely fantastic interview to get accepted. With a 32, I think a good interview will cut it. Last year, your interview was about proving yourself. This year, it's more about showing that you're acceptable. Also, being a reapplicant, especially one with a major application improvement, is a plus at OU. Some schools supposedly don't like reapplicants, but OU seems to love 'em.

Anyway, congrats to both you and Jwax for having good interviews! Hopefully, that big red envelope will show up soon -- and, no, it won't be Pizza Hut coupons this time. ;)

Hey Jwax, what time was your interview? I interviewed today as well (9:00am). Who were your interviewers and what did you think? Doesn't it feel great to have it over with? PM me about it if you would feel more comfortable.

By the way, I just heard a commercial that said, "Eat Right. Exercise. Take Garlique Daily." Say it fast...I wondered, how do people function if they don't take garlique daily? I take garlique every morning when I wake up and sometimes my wife gets on to me for not putting down the toilet seat!

Bringing up your mcat that much is huge. I think you would have to really bomb the interview to not get in. I'm assuming that if you got an interview with a 24 last year that your GPA must be pretty good. Unless you are a complete jerk you should have a very good chance!

"I could end up behind the wheel of an airplane tomorrow, or on the moon." - Beauty from Beauty and the Geek

Am I the only one with this guilty pleasure?

"I could end up behind the wheel of an airplane tomorrow, or on the moon." - Beauty from Beauty and the Geek

Am I the only one with this guilty pleasure?

I think I watched the first season of that show. My guilty pleasure now is the flavor of love, Flava, Flave....You know what time it is!

Never watched it. Who's that Dave Osbourne guy, too? Yeah, I'm culturally clueless. :)

Dave was like the poor man's Evil Knievel (however you spell it).

Not sure if he was a real stunt man or just a comedian.

Wikipedia article on Super Dave Osborne

You tube video of Super Dave on the Jimmy Kimmel show

Ahh -- I think I've seen him before. Thanks!

So I've got a question for those of you who did an overnight at St. Anthony's. I'm going on Friday and am confused about some things. One, do I bring my own evaluation form and just give it to someone? Two, I heard people got sent home early in the fall, but the instruction sheet says you can't leave -- is that a problem? Three, is it as scary and disorganized as they make it seem?

I've also got a question about the service tonight. Since I thought we were supposed to wear our white coats, I haven't dug out my suit jacket and know it's really, really wrinkled. Would it be horrible if I don't wear a suit?

So I've got a question for those of you who did an overnight at St. Anthony's. I'm going on Friday and am confused about some things. One, do I bring my own evaluation form and just give it to someone? Two, I heard people got sent home early in the fall, but the instruction sheet says you can't leave -- is that a problem? Three, is it as scary and disorganized as they make it seem?

Finally, a Q I can answer! You can also talk to our common acquaintance who shares a last name with our PCM course director because she was with me. I showed up in scrubs which turned out to be fine with the residents. They didn't make me change into theirs or anything like that. They suggested to wear my white coat too (though I didn't bring mine) to keep people from asking us to give sponge baths or something. One of the four of us brought an evaluation form and left it with a resident.

There is no problem with leaving early. In fact, I kinda thought that they were tired of babysitting us. It was slow the night that I was there, and the only potential baby delivery had already passed by the time we got to the floor.

Here's the thing about Saints that I didn't know before I went there. Their services (med, ob/gyn, ER, medicine) appear to be covered by their family medicine program, so it doesn't really matter which service you are assigned to (at least the evening I was there) after hours.

The house officer should have all of the team lists printed out, and he/she can assign you all to find a patient to interview somewhere in the hospital. Most of them will be med/surg even if your assignment is ER. I think that this is an easier place to interview than a clinic because the pt literally has nothing else to do but sit in bed. I REALLY did not want to go into an ER waiting room for an interview--disaster waiting to happen in my past experience.

As for the instruction sheet talking about "looking for action," Saints is just as understaffed as everybody else. I don't like to bother nurses personally, and it really didn't look like there was a lot of "action" happening. The teams will know about it if there is any, so I wouldn't mess with nursing.

Here is a tidbit, though, that will help you in your interview. Snatch the chart first! Many M1's (hell M3's) are tentative about these things, but the floor doesn't care as long as you don't run off with it. I learn a lot more that way because the chart has stuff like their med history on it that the pt won't remember, and I think I learn more out of the interviewing experience by grasping what the pt DOESN'T understand.

Last bit of advice... Practice your physical exam skills too even though it's not required. My pt let me do a mini-physical on her, and I was appreciative because she was larger than most of the people who will let me practice.

I've also got a question about the service tonight. Since I thought we were supposed to wear our white coats, I haven't dug out my suit jacket and know it's really, really wrinkled. Would it be horrible if I don't wear a suit?

I wouldn't worry about it. You look great in anything. :thumbup:

Should I feel guilty about not having been to class since Monday morning? Maybe I should start studying.

Finally, a Q I can answer! You can also talk to our common acquaintance who shares a last name with our PCM course director because she was with me. I showed up in scrubs which turned out to be fine with the residents. They didn't make me change into theirs or anything like that. They suggested to wear my white coat too (though I didn't bring mine) to keep people from asking us to give sponge baths or something. One of the four of us brought an evaluation form and left it with a resident.

There is no problem with leaving early. In fact, I kinda thought that they were tired of babysitting us. It was slow the night that I was there, and the only potential baby delivery had already passed by the time we got to the floor.

Here's the thing about Saints that I didn't know before I went there. Their services (med, ob/gyn, ER, medicine) appear to be covered by their family medicine program, so it doesn't really matter which service you are assigned to (at least the evening I was there) after hours.

The house officer should have all of the team lists printed out, and he/she can assign you all to find a patient to interview somewhere in the hospital. Most of them will be med/surg even if your assignment is ER. I think that this is an easier place to interview than a clinic because the pt literally has nothing else to do but sit in bed. I REALLY did not want to go into an ER waiting room for an interview--disaster waiting to happen in my past experience.

As for the instruction sheet talking about "looking for action," Saints is just as understaffed as everybody else. I don't like to bother nurses personally, and it really didn't look like there was a lot of "action" happening. The teams will know about it if there is any, so I wouldn't mess with nursing.

Here is a tidbit, though, that will help you in your interview. Snatch the chart first! Many M1's (hell M3's) are tentative about these things, but the floor doesn't care as long as you don't run off with it. I learn a lot more that way because the chart has stuff like their med history on it that the pt won't remember, and I think I learn more out of the interviewing experience by grasping what the pt DOESN'T understand.

Last bit of advice... Practice your physical exam skills too even though it's not required. My pt let me do a mini-physical on her, and I was appreciative because she was larger than most of the people who will let me practice.

I wouldn't worry about it. You look great in anything. :thumbup:

Should I feel guilty about not having been to class since Monday morning? Maybe I should start studying.

Cool, thanks, Wiz! I'm gonna have to leave early anyway probably because of the predicted freezing rain. :(

Yeah, I went to class on Monday and HB yesterday. That's it. Who am I kidding -- there's no way I'm going to regularly make it 8 am classes. :oops:

Ahh -- I think I've seen him before. Thanks!

I switched my rotation to Friday too. So I guess I will see you there!

Mine was at 11. It feels SOOOO great to have it over and done with!!!! Amazing really.

I think I'll give more details at a later date. I'm just not in the mood to rehash (again). All I'll say is that my interviewers were wonderful, and that I am optimistic that they liked me.

Hopefully we will be seeing red next week!

Oh and an 8 point improvement is surely enough to make you golden in their eyes! It makes you golden in mine! :) :luck:

Okay, I'm starting to feel a bit cursed here with this weather. A few hours ago, they said the freezing rain wouldn't start until around 9 pm tomorrow. Now, they're saying that it'll start tomorrow afternoon and that it won't get above freezing after that until Sunday. So, I guess I'll have to debate how much to risk my life to get to my preceptorship. Rachel, what do you think you'll do?

What sucks is the email we got from the pcm department stated that there are no other rotations to schedule us on, so I have no clue what happens if we can't make it.

Okay, I'm starting to feel a bit cursed here with this weather. A few hours ago, they said the freezing rain wouldn't start until around 9 pm tomorrow. Now, they're saying that it'll start tomorrow afternoon and that it won't get above freezing after that until Sunday. So, I guess I'll have to debate how much to risk my life to get to my preceptorship. Rachel, what do you think you'll do?

What sucks is the email we got from the pcm department stated that there are no other rotations to schedule us on, so I have no clue what happens if we can't make it.

If the weather is bad before I'm set to go around 5:00 I won't go. I will just find someone to interview for my paper.
If I do go I won't be there long. I know Dr. Sparks will let us shadow at the family medicine clinic if we need to interview someone.

I'm gonna rescind my advice about Saints. This weather looks nasty. I wouldn't mess around with physical exam skills--just ask your Q's and scram (if you even want to go at all). They also give you meal vouchers, but I wouldn't want to stay any longer than I had to.

For the few years that I have lived in Oklahoma, I have never been that uncomfortable with inclement weather because I'm used to much worse north of here. Lately, though, I've had to reverse my position because the numbskulls around here don't seem to understand the concept of salting the roads before and during the precipitation. A few weeks ago, the city just sat around and let our main throughfares get snow/ice packed. Several hours into the blizzard, not a single truck had been down Northwest Expressway nor May (where I live). Then they became unusable for an extra day or two unnecessarily, offices had to remain closed, and businesses lost tons of revenue. I guess that the roads are pretty bad relative to the rest of the country anyhow so nobody cares. :mad: Some of us drive fuel-efficient cars around here, so salt these mo-fo's before we get hit with the freezing rain! Methinks I shouldn't have signed up to work the weekend. :eek:

I saw some people start chuckling when it was announced that our notegroup chair was representing the class Thursday night.

I'm gonna rescind my advice about Saints. This weather looks nasty. I wouldn't mess around with physical exam skills--just ask your Q's and scram (if you even want to go at all). They also give you meal vouchers, but I wouldn't want to stay any longer than I had to.

For the few years that I have lived in Oklahoma, I have never been that uncomfortable with inclement weather because I'm used to much worse north of here. Lately, though, I've had to reverse my position because the numbskulls around here don't seem to understand the concept of salting the roads before and during the precipitation. A few weeks ago, the city just sat around and let our main throughfares get snow/ice packed. Several hours into the blizzard, not a single truck had been down Northwest Expressway nor May (where I live). Then they became unusable for an extra day or two unnecessarily, offices had to remain closed, and businesses lost tons of revenue. I guess that the roads are pretty bad relative to the rest of the country anyhow so nobody cares. :mad: Some of us drive fuel-efficient cars around here, so salt these mo-fo's before we get hit with the freezing rain! Methinks I shouldn't have signed up to work the weekend. :eek:

I saw some people start chuckling when it was announced that our notegroup chair was representing the class Thursday night.

Yeah, they really don't seem to do anything about the roads. They don't salt at all in Oregon because of environmental reasons, so it could be worse. :) The one major storm I lived through in Portland shut the city down for almost a week, so it's as bad there. From my recent experiences, I think New Mexico doesn't do a good job of clearing roads, either.

Yeah, I don't know if I'm going to go or not. I'm sure I can find someone to interview somewhere if it doesn't work out.

Her speech last night was interesting. Did she grow up around ministers? It sort of sounded like she had some of that type of training.

It just couldn't f*ckin wait til this evening to do all this ice storm crap.
Grrr

I have all my junk boxed, uhaul reserved for noon, a friend from my mod coming over at noon to help me with the couches, electric and cable scheduled for disconnect tomorrow morning, utilities transferred to my lil place in mcloud...
and now people are ice skating in my parking lot :smuggrin:

yep

time now to call and undo everything til monday. lol

It just couldn't f*ckin wait til this evening to do all this ice storm crap.
Grrr

I have all my junk boxed, uhaul reserved for noon, a friend from my mod coming over at noon to help me with the couches, electric and cable scheduled for disconnect tomorrow morning, utilities transferred to my lil place in mcloud...
and now people are ice skating in my parking lot :smuggrin:

yep

time now to call and undo everything til monday. lol

Argh, bad timing. :( The initial prediction was that nothing was supposed to hit until around 9 tonight, but I guess that was wrong. My recent experience with weather is that it's always as bad and usually worse than predicted. :)

OU/OUHSC shutting down at noon today as per the e-mail you all hopefully received.

Best sign so far that this is going to get ugly, OSU-Stillwater shut down today at noon as well. I can't remember ever seeing OSU shut down for inclement weather.

Hopefully we don't lose power this weekend. My wife and I rented movies just for this occasion, and I stole the last box of hot chocolate mix from an old lady's cart at Wal-Mart this morning.

See you guys on Tuesday!

I love youtube :D

You can find vids of almost anything. saddam hanging...street fights...a guy busted stroking to world of warcraft...ufos...robert tilton with gas...car wrecks...etc.

It's great when you're iced in
:thumbup:

I may not be a 4.0 medical student but damn... I don't think I will ever manage this kind of stupidity.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/ontario1.html

and...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/hospscrewup1.html

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Some doctors deserve to be sued. :)

So does anybody think it's a bit irresponsible that they're still doing the game thing tonight for our class? The roads coupled with the fact that they're meeting at LiT make it seem like a potential catastrophe.

So at 4:30, I paged the # I was given by the pcm people to let them know I can't make it tonight for my rotation. I haven't received a call back. Is there a point where I should repage them? I'm not up on paging etiquette.

So does anybody think it's a bit irresponsible that they're still doing the game thing tonight for our class? The roads coupled with the fact that they're meeting at LiT make it seem like a potential catastrophe.

It's pretty stupid...especially the "liquid diet" at LiT part.

Booze + Ice storm + driving = *****

So like online, or did you actually leave your house? If so, where's the jealousy smiley? I am feeling so freaking cooped up?

Yeah I'm cooped up too, only I'm cooped up on campus. My car has been in the Childrens garage since Friday morning. I made the decision to camp out here this weekend since a bunch of my coworkers didn't want to drive in, so I've had the luxury of sleeping and working here for a day and a half. At least here I have access to food (of which I keep none in my apartment). I also figured that I needed to catch up on my studies since I didn't go to class last week after Monday. These mp3's are pretty boring. Going back home tomorrow.

I certainly don't remember any weather issues like this in recent history. I'm thinking that when it comes to decide on residency programs, I'll be drawing a line on a map and discarding any choices north of the 34th parallel.

Yeah I'm cooped up too, only I'm cooped up on campus. My car has been in the Childrens garage since Friday morning. I made the decision to camp out here this weekend since a bunch of my coworkers didn't want to drive in, so I've had the luxury of sleeping and working here for a day and a half. At least here I have access to food (of which I keep none in my apartment). I also figured that I needed to catch up on my studies since I didn't go to class last week after Monday. These mp3's are pretty boring. Going back home tomorrow.

I certainly don't remember any weather issues like this in recent history. I'm thinking that when it comes to decide on residency programs, I'll be drawing a line on a map and discarding any choices north of the 34th parallel.

Yep, midwest winter is stupid. :mad: I hate hot weather, too, though, so the south's out. I think I'll just have to go back to the west coast where the snow stays in the mountains where it belongs. :)

Editing to add that being cooped up at work has to be worse than being cooped up at home.

Has anyone been out of their house/apartment this weekend? What are the roads like?

I'm starting to get a little stir crazy; we haven't been outside (unless you count walking the dog. She really doesn't like trying to poop/pee on frozen ground.) since Friday. Is mass travel going to be possible tomorrow? :p I figure the roads are probably okay for a few people, but it'll be a nasty mess with everyone trying to get somewhere tomorrow morning.

Silly me didn't bring any books/syllabi home to study on Thursday cause I thought I'd get it Friday. Oops. At least we didn't lose power, so I have been able to get to Hippocrates. ;)

Has anyone been out of their house/apartment this weekend? What are the roads like?

I'm starting to get a little stir crazy; we haven't been outside (unless you count walking the dog. She really doesn't like trying to poop/pee on frozen ground.) since Friday. Is mass travel going to be possible tomorrow? :p I figure the roads are probably okay for a few people, but it'll be a nasty mess with everyone trying to get somewhere tomorrow morning.

Silly me didn't bring any books/syllabi home to study on Thursday cause I thought I'd get it Friday. Oops. At least we didn't lose power, so I have been able to get to Hippocrates. ;)

I helped a friend move all day Friday and Saturday during the mess. The highways were actually decent on Saturday night, ableit they were a sand/salt/dirt/ice mush and you still had to go slow. I think I ended up going about 40-50mph from Edmond to Norman. The secondary roads were awful and still pure ice everywhere. I got stuck on a hill twice and a semi jack-knifed in front of me one of the times.

I haven't been out to see what Sunday brang, but with a sure-to-not-melt-ice-high of 24, I'm hoping school's canceled tomorrow. If you go out, leave early, drive slow and don't ride anyone's bumper.

I had to make a trip to the liquor store yesterday cause I was out of sam adams.... The roads were pretty slick around my house, but 44 had been bladed pretty nicely

I had to make a trip to the liquor store yesterday cause I was out of sam adams.... The roads were pretty slick around my house, but 44 had been bladed pretty nicely

err make that saterday....not going to class friday and having so many days off in a row is great, but i have no idea what day it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.