Oklahoma future 2011ers part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's "Dudgeon" or something like that. I remember seeing that billboard.

You got it! It's just weird to realize that people you went to school with are doing very staid things like selling insurance.

Members don't see this ad.

You got it! It's just weird to realize that people you went to school with are doing very staid things like selling insurance.

staid: 1. of settled or sedate character; not flighty or capricious.
2. fixed, settled, or permanent.

That makes twice I've had to look up a word that you have used.

It's probably pretty useful to go tomorrow anyway. Dr. Blair did say this wasn't mandatory, though, so if you really can't go, it's not a big deal.

I heard that he pretty much roasted the students with his questions.

I'm surprised at how many students are going to lecture. The phys guy seems entertaining, but there were definitely a few cold glares in my section of the audience when he made the Stillwater reference.

That makes twice I've had to look up a word that you have used.

Indeed the extent of your pulchritude far exceeds normal limits. Rarely has mankind witnessed such a synergistic explosion of sensual body voluptuousness and piquant facial appearance.

Does the extent of my garrulity inhibit the efficacy of my compliments? I hope not.

Thanks for the compliments, Wiz...I had to look up your p-word that you threw out there earlier though.

P-words are my specialty. :p :) :p :D :p :scared: :p :eek: :clap: :sleep:

How they let me into medical school with such obvious mental abnormalities is a mystery to me....

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some questions that I think you all might know the answer to:

When is financial aid (i.e., stafford loans) distributed?

When is the acceptance form + $100.00 due?

Married couples, do you find that the stafford loans are adequate?

Are the scholarships more for financial need or academic badassness?

piquant: Pleasantly pungent or tart in taste; spicy. :laugh:

When is financial aid (i.e., stafford loans) distributed?

Here in Oklahoma they like to sit on it a couple of weeks to make sure that you don't take the money and bolt. I don't remember the exact date, and my blasted online banking won't let me search transactions back that far, but I...um, wait a sec, I have something here. Yes, here it is...August 25. Our orientation was like the 10th-12th, eh? So yeah, about two weeks into the school year. They sat on the scholarships a little bit longer.

When is the acceptance form + $100.00 due?

I think that my letter may have had a deadline on it someplace. My out-dated MSAR says two weeks. I'll front you the cash if you're short.

Married couples, do you find that the stafford loans are adequate?

Maybe if I didn't have to take the loans I would be part of a married couple by now... I'm saving my leftover cash for a mail-order bride. :thumbup:

As a married unit, I think that you can make up to 110K household and still claim lifetime learning on your taxes. It's been a few years since I could claim it, but I think you get something like a fifth of your tuition as a credit up to a cap (used to be $1000, prolly a bit more nowadays).

There are also Grad Plus loans which I think I will be taking next year if they don't raise the $189,125 lifetime cap on Staffords. I will have maxed out before M4 otherwise, and I have the credit to be eligible for Grad Plus now. Since Grad Plus is new and we're approaching an election year, I'm worried that it might not be on the table when I need it later. True the interest might be greater (insight please?), but that doesn't concern me right now.

Are the scholarships more for financial need or academic badassness?

The bigger recruiting awards (10K is the figure I've heard most often) are probably already distributed. The others are divided over half of the class (including those who already got a big one), and they range from a few hundred to a few thousand. Some say that those have a need component but I have a hard time believing that because they gave me mine before I ever submitted a FAFSA to OU. Either that or they saw the suit that I showed up in at my interview and inferred from there.

There are at least four others here who were met with more dead presidents than I upon matriculation, but darn it, people like me.

These scholarships look to me like they go away unless you get straight A's (i.e. mine is already toast) the first year, as the significant majority of those at the scholarship dinner last year were MS 1's.

To answer the next logical question...

There were approximately 30 in our class with a 4.0 after the first year (approximately one fifth). Obviously there were a lot than that after the first semester - Phys and Neuro killed it for a lot of people. The reason I know that one is that at the little scholarship luncheon, the people that had a 4.0 got a nice little asterisk next to their name. I don't remember the exact number, but like I said, I'm pretty sure it was somewhere in the 25-30 range.

For more of what I had to say about scholarships, go back to this post (just click the arrow, I don't want to quote the whole thing here):

The man behind the curtain thanks you.

piquant: Pleasantly pungent or tart in taste; spicy. :laugh:

You know it, sweetie. Zesty! I hope that your husband isn't a diabetic since a kiss from your sweet lips would send him into DKA. :oops:

Is that a little much?

If we were on Beauty and the Geek, I'd totally be your partner. {Smitty}

Hey Wiz...Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it. And thanks for the deposit offer, but I got it! Peace.

BTW-I guess I am just going to meet w/ the financial aid peeps tomorrow to discuss the huge debt that is going to be my future! Are they pretty helpful? They seemed very knowledgeable about making the correct financial moves during the interview presentation, but now that I am actually going to medical school I am very worried about the financial issues involved, i.e., stafford loan caps, etc.:confused:

Thanks again!:)

Hey Wiz...Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it. And thanks for the deposit offer, but I got it! Peace.

BTW-I guess I am just going to meet w/ the financial aid peeps tomorrow to discuss the huge debt that is going to be my future! Are they pretty helpful? They seemed very knowledgeable about making the correct financial moves during the interview presentation, but now that I am actually going to medical school I am very worried about the financial issues involved, i.e., stafford loan caps, etc.:confused:

Don't sweat it Nick...I'm doing staffords 100% as a single father of two boys (eg...more food costs, clothes, etc) and I'm expecting to hit the cap when I'm done but my finishing med school and the cap will hit about the same time...I also used stafford to support myself and my kids during undergrad. So I'll think you'll be fine. I'm taking out the full 38.5k/yr and it keeps us in all the necessities.
Johnny

Being married and having a little crumb-snatcher on the way, I was real worried about financial matters. I bought a house in June of last year, so I was worried about making payments and whatnot.

I didn't take out anything other than the stafford, and have been okay. Will I be okay over the summer? Dunno.

That's a good idea! My ******* was still classified as a nursing student, so I never got any aid offer. I thought that they were just slow until I finally contacted them in late July. The first person I talked to told me that I was just SOL, but after I got through the first couple of guardians, I finally found someone who could help me. I eventually got it straightened out, but the point is that I was literally holding back my resignation letters from my jobs because I didn't know if I was going to be able to actually start this year. Likewise I had a job offer on the table to move to Baylor, and the grace period on my previous student loans had expired without me knowing. Mucho stress! :eek: I was walking around school like a zombie during orientation because I had been working literally up to the hour that orientation started.

It took them a while to get everything straightened out, so the take home message is to get this stuff settled as soon as you have decided to come to OU. The last step should be to sign your promissory note, so once you do that, you're good to go.

You will get a packet from these people sometime between now and August:

http://www.medloans.com/

You can visit their website for the basics, but what I learned is that this is nothing more than an advertisement to use the Stafford lender that is paying the AAMC to market for them, namely Dollar Bank which then feeds the debt to Sallie Mae. The max you can Stafford out is $38,500 per year, $8500(?) of which is subsidized, but you are free to choose whatever lender you want. Talk to exlaw about choosing a lender. She picked a better one than me. All will have some pitch as to why they are cool.

I think that the OUHSC allowed budget is a $40K or the like (check the website, but it will probably change if/when they jack the tuition up again). For the remainder, they will offer you a Lew Wentz loan or similar offer. If you are in-state and/or have a working spouse, I wouldn't fret much about having to borrow more; but there are Grad PLUS loans too if you need them. Private lenders are also kind to medical students.

I don't know much about your situation, but I still had tens of thousands in debt from my previous educational adventures. I knew that even working as much as I had been for the last three years as a med tech, I would always be running away from the green monster known as debt. (You should have seen my credit card debt after grad school--a 3 with four zeros.) The reason for this rambling is that I knew that this career path was just about the only viable risk I had to ever see myself back in the black having already been rejected to PA school and repeatedly dissed from MD/PhD.

So I threw the roulette ball onto the wheel. What's done is done. Some people would choose to watch the ball roll along the circumference all the while stressing over what specialties will pay ten years from now, how much doctors' salaries are impacted by the sliding of insurance reimbursements, their own ability to match a competative/well-paying residency, lifestyle considerations, what that damn gunner on the other side of the room just made on his exam, etc. etc. etc., but I'm like WTF? Life is too short. I was born into this world poor as dirt; I'd like to think that at least I'm making a difference even if I never make my money back with the career that I've chosen. I'm just grateful that most of the loveliest 2010er's are my age. :love:

This post is way too long and serious for my liking. I need to redeem myself...

When you come for orientation, you will meet one of the sweetest dark-haired beauties ever born in the 1970's. When you find yourself questioning your own feelings for your wife, you will know that you have met RachelD. (Just don't stare--she's taken.)

SDN--such a wonderful weapon of procrastination. :sleep:

That's a good idea! My ******* was still classified as a nursing student, so I never got any aid offer. I thought that they were just slow until I finally contacted them in late July. The first person I talked to told me that I was just SOL, but after I got through the first couple of guardians, I finally found someone who could help me. I eventually got it straightened out, but the point is that I was literally holding back my resignation letters from my jobs because I didn't know if I was going to be able to actually start this year. Likewise I had a job offer on the table to move to Baylor, and the grace period on my previous student loans had expired without me knowing. Mucho stress! :eek: I was walking around school like a zombie during orientation because I had been working literally up to the hour that orientation started.

It took them a while to get everything straightened out, so the take home message is to get this stuff settled as soon as you have decided to come to OU. The last step should be to sign your promissory note, so once you do that, you're good to go.

You will get a packet from these people sometime between now and August:

http://www.medloans.com/

You can visit their website for the basics, but what I learned is that this is nothing more than an advertisement to use the Stafford lender that is paying the AAMC to market for them, namely Dollar Bank which then feeds the debt to Sallie Mae. The max you can Stafford out is $38,500 per year, $8500(?) of which is subsidized, but you are free to choose whatever lender you want. Talk to exlaw about choosing a lender. She picked a better one than me. All will have some pitch as to why they are cool.

I think that the OUHSC allowed budget is a $40K or the like (check the website, but it will probably change if/when they jack the tuition up again). For the remainder, they will offer you a Lew Wentz loan or similar offer. If you are in-state and/or have a working spouse, I wouldn't fret much about having to borrow more; but there are Grad PLUS loans too if you need them. Private lenders are also kind to medical students.

I don't know much about your situation, but I still had tens of thousands in debt from my previous educational adventures. I knew that even working as much as I had been for the last three years as a med tech, I would always be running away from the green monster known as debt. (You should have seen my credit card debt after grad school--a 3 with four zeros.) The reason for this rambling is that I knew that this career path was just about the only viable risk I had to ever see myself back in the black having already been rejected to PA school and repeatedly dissed from MD/PhD.

So I threw the roulette ball onto the wheel. What's done is done. Some people would choose to watch the ball roll along the circumference all the while stressing over what specialties will pay ten years from now, how much doctors' salaries are impacted by the sliding of insurance reimbursements, their own ability to match a competative/well-paying residency, lifestyle considerations, what that damn gunner on the other side of the room just made on his exam, etc. etc. etc., but I'm like WTF? Life is too short. I was born into this world poor as dirt; I'd like to think that at least I'm making a difference even if I never make my money back with the career that I've chosen. I'm just grateful that most of the loveliest 2010er's are my age. :love:

This post is way too long and serious for my liking. I need to redeem myself...

When you come for orientation, you will meet one of the sweetest dark-haired beauties ever born in the 1970's. When you find yourself questioning your own feelings for your wife, you will know that you have met RachelD. (Just don't stare--she's taken.)

SDN--such a wonderful weapon of procrastination. :sleep:

You probably missed her impromptu showing on the bi-weekly histo closed circuit feed last week; it looked like she was the only one in class. It was like The RachelD Show during the breaks...

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably missed her impromptu showing on the bi-weekly histo closed circuit feed last week; it looked like she was the only one in class. It was like The RachelD Show during the breaks...

Sorry I missed it. :(

Fun Histo/Embryo break jokes. Surreptitiously pressing the microphone buttons while discussing inane topics. Not only can everyone hear you in the mods, but now they're on camera as well.

Not that I would condone that kind of activity.

It did amuse me and some of the others that watched from the mods. ;)

Fun Histo/Embryo break jokes. Surreptitiously pressing the microphone buttons while discussing inane topics. Not only can everyone hear you in the mods, but now they're on camera as well.

Not that I would condone that kind of activity.

It did amuse me and some of the others that watched from the mods. ;)

heh....oh the good times in histo

The doctor bagel thing is a cat nickname. I picked my user name on a whim in 2002, so it's time for a change.

She started in the lounge, so I think that she'll get to it eventually. :thumbup:

Still conflicted over whether or not I should have switched.

Okay I just figured out how to rate threads. Somebody rated this one terrible. :eek:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Okay I just figured out how to rate threads. Somebody rated this one terrible. :eek:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

:mad: :( You know, though, I guess it is pretty boring to anybody but us. Still, losers!! :)

So I'm really digging this homeschooling thing. Listening to lectures at 1.5x saves a ton of time. Also, I came come to sdn when I get bored. :) The social isolation's a bit of a drag, though. :(

So what did that one professor say about Stillwater? I've decided I officially like Stillwater more than OKC.

:mad: :( You know, though, I guess it is pretty boring to anybody but us. Still, losers!! :)

So I'm really digging this homeschooling thing. Listening to lectures at 1.5x saves a ton of time. Also, I came come to sdn when I get bored. :) The social isolation's a bit of a drag, though. :(

So what did that one professor say about Stillwater? I've decided I officially like Stillwater more than OKC.

Me too. If you need to go to the store or a restaurant, it's pretty much right down the street. Shame that the best clothing store is Old Navy. I'd take Tulsa over either, though. One of my MS 2 friends commutes from Tulsa (when she has to).

The prof said the name "Bernoulli" in the proper French manner and then switched over to a redneck accent and said that people from Stillwater pronounce it "Ber-new-li" (or something like that). The crowd was pretty much silent, but there were a couple of OSU'ers sitting near me who weren't pleased. He was a little bit funny, but he was also trying too hard to be an entertainer IMHO.

I'm sure we'll read about it on the discussion board during Spring Break...

I bet it was one of those vengeful MCW 2010er's. :mad:

You're piquant too, exlaw. :thumbup:

Me too. If you need to go to the store or a restaurant, it's pretty much right down the street. Shame that the best clothing store is Old Navy. I'd take Tulsa over either, though. One of my MS 2 friends commutes from Tulsa (when she has to).

The prof said the name "Bernoulli" in the proper French manner and then switched over to a redneck accent and said that people from Stillwater pronounce it "Ber-new-li" (or something like that). The crowd was pretty much silent, but there were a couple of OSU'ers sitting near me who weren't pleased. He was a little bit funny, but he was also trying too hard to be an entertainer IMHO.

I'm sure we'll read about it on the discussion board during Spring Break...

I bet it was one of those vengeful MCW 2010er's. :mad:

You're piquant too, exlaw. :thumbup:

Aww, thanks! :)

That comment sounds pretty freaking lame. I was just thinking that one of the advantages of Stillwater over OKC is that the schools are better, and it has a more educated population. I'm guessing that dude's never been to Stillwater. :thumbdown:

I wish there was a way to see who gives the ratings. I just gave us 5 stars because we're super cool.

Well, I say this is a great thread. Anyone want to chime in on how to rate it?

By the way, anyone have advice for someone who is interviewing on the very last day of the season? It will be a busy week. My interview on the 8th is the same day as one of my boys' birthdays and the day before my soon-to-be-born son is due.

Pray for Mrs. Tiagao, she needs it. :laugh:

Funny I had a French professor who taught Fluid mechanics pronouce it like that... at least I thought he was French.

Well, I say this is a great thread. Anyone want to chime in on how to rate it?

Under the page numbers at the top of the page, there is a "rate thread" option.

You can also subscribe to it in which it will send you an email when a new post arrives (either instantly, daily, or weekly). If you couldn't already tell, mine is set for instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.