University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah chung likes the layered questions, but they probably make good practice board questions (the few anatomy questions you'll get).

Please take a look at Ice's NRMP Outcomes link. Take a look at how correlated Step 1 scores are to matching in Gen. Surg or EM. Also remember MOST schools do not use a A/B/C/D grading scheme. In your case, 90% of US seniors match into Gen Surg that apply. There is some self selection, but not that much. Relax, a B in anatomy will not kill your chances for either field. And you'll probably change your mind on what you want to specialize in anyway.

Hell, I got Bs in most of my first year classes and I don't feel like I'll have too much trouble matching in whatever I want (except Plastics, Ortho, ENT, Derm, and Rad onc). The only one I'm interested in that area is rad onc. If I rock the step 1 I can still make that. Of course, I'm willing to move and plan to apply pretty broadly if needed for whatever I decide to specialize in.

Members don't see this ad.

This is the joy in wanting to match in either IM or Psych. I theoretically don't have to worry about my grades -- that doesn't mean I don't, but it's not logical. But yeah, people generally match where they want to match, and you don't have to be a rock star to do surgery or EM.

Bleh, I'm not studying any more tonight. Doing a full day of MMI makes for a pretty sad day.

Yeah chung likes the layered questions, but they probably make good practice board questions (the few anatomy questions you'll get).

Please take a look at Ice's NRMP Outcomes link. Take a look at how correlated Step 1 scores are to matching in Gen. Surg or EM. Also remember MOST schools do not use a A/B/C/D grading scheme. In your case, 90% of US seniors match into Gen Surg that apply. There is some self selection, but not that much. Relax, a B in anatomy will not kill your chances for either field. And you'll probably change your mind on what you want to specialize in anyway.

Hell, I got Bs in most of my first year classes and I don't feel like I'll have too much trouble matching in whatever I want (except Plastics, Ortho, ENT, Derm, and Rad onc). The only one I'm interested in that area is rad onc. If I rock the step 1 I can still make that. Of course, I'm willing to move and plan to apply pretty broadly if needed for whatever I decide to specialize in.

Yay - I don't want to do any of those! I wish I still wanted to do psych ;). Thanks for the reality check. I am definitely one of those people who thinks OMG if I don't get all A's I will never get the residency I want! And I panic about it often. I am trying not to, but still.... I am in a foul mood and I am a pessimist to begin with. So I'm feeling gloomy. I think I am done for tonight because my brain feels too overwhelmed to go on. We rented Knocked Up and dinner is in the oven. :thumbup:. Oh, and we've got our first fire of the season! I :love: having a fireplace.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am definitely one of those people who thinks OMG if I don't get all A's I will never get the residency I want!

You may not.

J/k :D

The rest of your post sounds like a recipe for trouble, oh say, NINE MONTHS FROM NOW...:thumbup: at least you have an appropriate title to scare the living **** out of you. Prolly, I haven't seen it yet...

I think a lot of us don't want to study.

Three cheers for quotes out of context! :D

:smuggrin: Nicely played, sir.

Knocked Up (as a movie) wasn't that great (not sure about knocked up as a reality, that might be okay). It was a little bit unrealistic... I would have preferred a different ending. Eh...

After watching the movie, spent another 2 hours studying anatomy... :thumbdown: Went to Taco Bell yesterday when I was in scrubs and white coat after leaving the hospital and a girl there asked me what I was studying to be. I said I was going for my M.D. She told me to have fun with that... she'll stick to being a CNA. At this point, it seems like I might have been wiser to go for a nursing degree. Much less hassle, it doesn't matter as much how well you do, and it doesn't take so freaking long. Sigh... if only I didn't have control issues and like the idea of being called "Doctor" vs "Nurse" (even though I'll get called nurse all the time even after I'm a doc)...

Whatever. I'm in a less foul mood than earlier, believe or not. My head finally cleared out and I no longer feel like I'm on drugs.

Why do I have these ridiculously long posts about nothing? Sorry guys...

So, I am really bombing the lipid metabolism questions on the Qbank. Is it just me or are they out of left field compared to what Dr. Oslen discussed? I am pretty confident that she never mentioned a lot of the details listed on there. Like, did she ever mention that LCAT is activated by A-1, or are we just supposed to assume that since A-1 appears in HDL that must be an accurate statement.... I really hope Olsen's questions don't look like this tomorrow, or I am in trouble.

Also, there was a question (#24 from the biochem web page version of the qbank) that asks how much ATP net is produced by the metabolism of Palmitic acid. In the syllabus, it actually breaks that down by saying it is 131, but the answer accepted is 129. Now, in the notes, it mentions that Fatty acids must be activated to Fatty acyl CoA, but I don't see a mention of ATP expenditure... let alone 2. Am I missing that information from elsewhere or was this a mis-key?

Can you tell I am freaked-out/concerned?

So, I am really bombing the lipid metabolism questions on the Qbank. Is it just me or are they out of left field compared to what Dr. Oslen discussed? I am pretty confident that she never mentioned a lot of the details listed on there. Like, did she ever mention that LCAT is activated by A-1, or are we just supposed to assume that since A-1 appears in HDL that must be an accurate statement.... I really hope Olsen's questions don't look like this tomorrow, or I am in trouble.

Also, there was a question (#24 from the biochem web page version of the qbank) that asks how much ATP net is produced by the metabolism of Palmitic acid. In the syllabus, it actually breaks that down by saying it is 131, but the answer accepted is 129. Now, in the notes, it mentions that Fatty acids must be activated to Fatty acyl CoA, but I don't see a mention of ATP expenditure... let alone 2. Am I missing that information from elsewhere or was this a mis-key?

Can you tell I am freaked-out/concerned?

I think a while back slackerqueen mentioned the same concern, so I don't think you should be too freaked. I would help you out, but I don't know what you are talking about w/my once over of Olsen's stuff :confused:. Maybe by midnight tonight I'll know what you were talking about.

The questions under Olsen's heading are considerably more reasonable (although there are actually some question bank duplicates). I still missed a fair number of them because when you are dealing with pathways that intermingle, it seems like you have a pretty broad range of possibilities. It would be nice if they she would provide more definitive questions. Oh, and once again, I see it mentioned nowhere that ApoC activates LPL. I guess I know it now... but I'm still displeased with the method of learning.

On a positive note, Weigel's questions make me feel more reassured. DeAngelis seems to be more of a big picture guy too... and Sveda. So, it looks like 3 more runs through Olsen's material and I'll be good on her stuff. Should only take about 12 hours...:sleep:

I don't know Olsen's material too well either. I really hate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone think we need to memorize this equation?

V = (Vmax) [(S) / (S) + (Km)]

Cuz I don't want to.

The figures that Olsen has don't correlate too well to her text. The fact that ATP is needed for fatty acyl CoA synthesis is in the picture on page H-10.

:beat::beat::beat:Sorry guys, I have to release angst somehow w/out resorting to breaking things. ;)

Ok, why do both Km and Vmax change with Uncompetitive inhibition. It is effectively removing the enzyme so the Vmax will be less, but I am a little foggy on why the Km shifts. Does the fact that the substrate is stuck to the enzyme mean that the affinity is technically higher? I mystified.

Ok, why do both Km and Vmax change with Uncompetitive inhibition. It is effectively removing the enzyme so the Vmax will be less, but I am a little foggy on why the Km shifts. Does the fact that the substrate is stuck to the enzyme mean that the affinity is technically higher? I mystified.

Don't think...memorize. MD = Memory Degree.

Editing to not be such a jerk about it: Km = Vmax / 2; If Vmax decreases, Km is obligatorily decreased as well if the actual affinity of the enzyme stays the same (same initial slope) which is the case for uncompetitive inhibition.

:eek: :scared: :barf:

Why did God have to create so many enzymes??? :mad:

I think he started with 7, but then we evolved. ;)

Just goes to say that improvement isn't always for the best :rolleyes:.

So it's the bottom of the 9th and my Rockies are down one run. I dug my CR hat out of the closet to cheer them on. Take it to game 5 boys! :luck:

Editting to say... it would have been nice if they could have not lost on a strike-out...

Good luck to everyone! :luck:

As an aside, med school was much easier before the babies came. I got little sleep last night between feedings and very little studying done this entire test block.

<----- {Gets ready to see grades fall by two gpa points as he sees a return to engineering looming ominously ahead.} :(

Note to self: Next time you start med school, don't be pregnant with twins...

Good luck to everyone! :luck:

As an aside, med school was much easier before the babies came. I got little sleep last night between feedings and very little studying done this entire test block.

<----- {Gets ready to see grades fall by two gpa points as he sees a return to engineering looming ominously ahead.} :(

Note to self: Next time you start med school, don't be pregnant with twins...

:smuggrin: On the bright side, if you failed this semester you would not be pregnant with twins starting medical school.

I'm just kidding - I'm sure you'll work it out okay. Don't underestimate the power of guessing. I'm relying so heavily on intuition for biochem this TB it is unreal. I have all the enzymes so effing jumbled in my head that I don't have a clue what does what. :eek:

Good luck everyone. :luck:

OK, thing I hate about test block -- I don't want to sleep as late as possible because I'm worried about oversleeping, but I really don't want to study the morning before a test either (makes me nervous). So here I am, awake when I need sleep but not doing anything productive.

One down, two to go! 3 for you MS1 folks, but does HB really count? :) Oh yeah, HB tip for you guys, look at those abuse photos because they do pop up on the exam. And if a child comes in with a nail in his urethra, you're supposed to remove it. Not sure what exactly that has to do with HB, but whatever.

better this time? it looked like you were done pretty quickly :thumbup:

speed does not imply knowledge of the material, only the knowledge that debating between two answers neither of which i am sure about is not an effective use of my time.

speed does not imply knowledge of the material, only the knowledge that debating between two answers neither of which i am sure about is not an effective use of my time.

werd. I can sit in ELH, floundering, or I can go home and cram whatever is next.

Agreed. Speed != correctness, just that there's no use arguing between questions that you have no clue on. I just spent the last hour wasting time, guess its time to study for pharm.

Agreed. Speed != correctness, just that there's no use arguing between questions that you have no clue on. I just spent the last hour wasting time, guess its time to study for pharm.

Yup... I spent time on a few debating back and forth until I realized I really had no idea WTF the answer was so I picked one and moved on.

That test probably just raped me. I hate biochem.

Ah, pretty. :thumbup: The key is posted.

Yup... I spent time on a few debating back and forth until I realized I really had no idea WTF the answer was so I picked one and moved on.

That test probably just raped me. I hate biochem.

Did you guys get slammed with really hard clinical correlation diabetes questions? I remember that happening last year.

Or waste time on SDN while waiting for the key to be posted. I really don't want to study pharm. :thumbdown:

Yeah, that was a lie. Sometimes I'm such an idealist...

Is anyone here doing a dual degree or know anything about it? Specifically whether the 38.5K you get from Uncle Sam is all you'll continue to get...

Did you guys get slammed with really hard clinical correlation diabetes questions? I remember that happening last year.

I don't think so, except that apparently the question about distinguishing type I from II had a "Least" best way to distinguish the difference that I missed. :mad: The rest of those didn't seem too bad.

It was just all of DeAngelis, Weigel, and Olsen's stuff that was hard. :rolleyes:

I felt like I was taking the MCAT again - when I took the MCAT, I pretty much didn't know the answer for most of the questions and just guessed and hoped for the best. That's what this morning felt like. After ~20 questions in to the test, I quit putting dots beside the questions I was unsure about because almost all of them had dots! :thumbdown:

Ah well. Onwards to bigger and better things.

I thought that the clinical correlation questions were horrid. DeAngelis' questions were pretty awful too. Olson's was so-so, and Weigel/Szweda's questions rocked. :)

Ugh, embryo...I didn't care for this block of it at all.

I hate biochem.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I thought that the clinical correlation questions were horrid. DeAngelis' questions were pretty awful too. Olson's was so-so, and Weigel/Szweda's questions rocked. :)

Yeah, a couple of the CC questions were obscure. Every single thing Szweda mentioned in his review was on the exam, so I rocked (hopefully) all of his stuff. Everything else is up in the air... I agree with Jwax that I was about to stop marking all of the ones I was unsure about.

Oh well. I'm sticking with my plan of not grading my exams until I finish HB so that I don't stress out any more than I already am. :eek:

Oh well. I'm sticking with my plan of not grading my exams until I finish HB so that I don't stress out any more than I already am. :eek:

Not me, I had to know. Well, my biochem grade wasn't 20 points lower like I thought it would be, but it was 10. :thumbdown: :oops: At least I passed.

Oh well, I've known this was coming, but I just gotta get my secret type-A, closet-gunner self (oh no, I'm out Jwax!) to be OK with my performance given the circumstances.

It was just all of DeAngelis, Weigel, and Olsen's stuff that was hard. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I studied DeAngelis' and Olson's stuff way more than Weigel's, but I missed almost all of my questions from those two's material! :mad:

I also didn't think the CC questions were too bad even though I missed one... :confused:

The stafford max is actually $40,500 effective this year. I guess you instaters don't need to know that. Yep, you can go above with GradPlus, and you can also get more staffords if you're enrolled 12 months of the year. Not sure, but I believe the stafford max for 3rd and 4th years is around $45k.

Editing to add there was a miskey on the MMI key -- check your email. :)

The stafford max is actually $40,500 effective this year. I guess you instaters don't need to know that. Yep, you can go above with GradPlus, and you can also get more staffords if you're enrolled 12 months of the year. Not sure, but I believe the stafford max for 3rd and 4th years is around $45k.

Ha - I'm instate and very much aware that the max is 40.5K. I can't imagine paying OOS tuition. I'm so flat broke as it is... We will be relying heavily on the credit card for the last month or so before second semester loans get distributed.

So biochem grade turned out to be just about as bad as I thought it would be. I really didn't know jack s***t as far as answers, and my grade reflects that. :cry:. I guess I managed to get into med school w/mostly B's as far as upper division science grades, so maybe I will still get into whatever residency I aim for with mostly B's. I guess I should just start studying for the boards now so I can do well....

The good news is that this exam was only worth 20% of our overall grade.

I guess it's time for embryo. Shortitalian, I have no idea how you have the restraint to not look at your score until after the TB is over. I couldn't do it.

Did they change the lifetime max too? It used to be $189,125. Any idea on what the PLUS rate is?

I'm not really a big fan of the MMI course. Why even have lectures when all of the exam questions are rote memory from the syllabus? Discussing all of the organisms without relevant coverage of antibiotic prescription is pointless from a doctor's perspective. Clinical microbiology in this century is basically dominated by MRSA, yet the class hardly touches the subject. We can't just put everybody with it on IV vancomycin. If you thought the second block was boring, the last (fungus/virus) will be the least interesting (and least relevant to medical practice). /rant

This can be a good thing sometimes. I've done it both ways, and if you are the kind of person who obsesses over making stupid mistakes or gets easily pissed off over very badly-worded questions (like me) that actually have more than one correct answer, it's best to not look at the "right" answers until the week is over.

Since nobody agrees with my anti-test block stance and exam review is usually not possible, I think that I am creating a new viewpoint regarding exams. Make integrative exams that take place on M-W-F. Monday--practicals and/or rote memory, UG-style questions that should be freebies. Wednesday--slightly harder integrative-type questions. Friday--vignette-based clinical questions that force you to find most likely diagnoses based on data provided. At least that way, you would actually have an opportunity to see deficiencies and then improve as the week continues. As it stands now, nobody gives two ****s about what they missed, nor can students really learn from errors.

i would love to see you dean of the COM in 25 yrs.

Since nobody agrees with my anti-test block stance and exam review is usually not possible, I think that I am creating a new viewpoint regarding exams. Make integrative exams that take place on M-W-F. Monday--practicals and/or rote memory, UG-style questions that should be freebies. Wednesday--slightly harder integrative-type questions. Friday--vignette-based clinical questions that force you to find most likely diagnoses based on data provided. At least that way, you would actually have an opportunity to see deficiencies and then improve as the week continues. As it stands now, nobody gives two ****s about what they missed, nor can students really learn from errors.

I think that I like this idea. It really is good, but it wouldn't work since medical schools aren't in the business of making sure that we learn the material. Just another hoop that one has to jump through to get to residency where, like most other professions, the real training/learning happens on the job. :rolleyes:

Or as my mod-mate said, "You hate babies? Huh? Huh?" :D

Seriously though... :beat:Ok, this ends another pointless post. Happy studying everyone!

I think that I like this idea. It really is good, but it wouldn't work since medical schools aren't in the business of making sure that we learn the material. Just another hoop that one has to jump through to get to residency where, like most other professions, the real training/learning happens on the job. :rolleyes:

Every time I freak out about whether or not I'm going to learn enough in medical school to take care of my patients, my SO reminds me that what I need to know to take care of my patients, I will learn in residency. So... just another reason to accept my mediocracy.

The terrible truth is that even though there is very little chance I can improve my grades for really any of our classes this semester (except maybe HB and to a very minor extent maybe anatomy), this doesn't mean that I can just calm down. I am barely making what I'm making with the effort I'm putting in now, so if I slacked off I'd probably end up with worse... :rolleyes: I can only hope to just get through the next 2 years, and that when I get to 3rd year I will be happier. I'm really in this for the clinicals anyways, that's why I go follow my surgeon for 12 hours instead of studying for TB. I just hate our classes. All of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.