University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The big NMS book is, well, big, so reading the whole thing is a pretty significant time commitment. I was able to make it through a big chunk of it since I didn't scrub a lot, but it's probably not a worthwhile endeavor for most people. I'd stick with pestana and NMS casefiles. Pretest is a cheap way to get practice questions, but the questions are insane like usual.

Members don't see this ad.

The big NMS book is, well, big, so reading the whole thing is a pretty significant time commitment. I was able to make it through a big chunk of it since I didn't scrub a lot, but it's probably not a worthwhile endeavor for most people. I'd stick with pestana and NMS casefiles. Pretest is a cheap way to get practice questions, but the questions are insane like usual.

I used Surgical Recall, part of the casebook, and... that was about it, I guess. I also made a B. :rolleyes:

My only professional responsibility for the next week (besides 12 hours of CVICU coverage tomorrow) is putting together a 5 minute max unknown teaching file presentation for this radiology rotation.

I love my internship.

My personal unrequested advice for the surgery shelf (and too late now

Like I said focusing only on the NMS book would be how I would have done it if I had the rotation to do over again. With only 4 wks left it would be practically impossible. I just hated the NMS casefile book. Too many holes in it for me.

Pretest is a cheap way to get practice questions, but the questions are insane like usual.

Did you check out the question book from the library for the rotation Jwax? It wasn't great, but it's free. I'll send you some questions too later if I remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
Parts of southwest Oklahoma are still without power and won't have any hope of getting it back for at least one more week. My power came back on night before last only off for 6 days, but the lack of power I could live without but no water for the last 3 days was really bad. I have a NG "Cold water heater" (notice cold water heater, why would anyone need a hot water heater ha ha) so hot showers were still nice at the beginning and a NG cook range for a little heat.

Hey what did you guys do during med school with health insurance? do you recommend going through the school or finding my own?

I don't know very many people who really like the Macori insurance you are offered through the school. It has been some time since I've looked, but it seemed expensive as hell for more than just the student, and you are IIRC locked into going to the FMC clinics. I went the BCBS route. But I will say, I think I was only asked to provide proof of insurance once or twice.

I don't know very many people who really like the Macori insurance you are offered through the school. It has been some time since I've looked, but it seemed expensive as hell for more than just the student, and you are IIRC locked into going to the FMC clinics. I went the BCBS route. But I will say, I think I was only asked to provide proof of insurance once or twice.

I looked at BCBS, but it was ridiculously expensive for me I guess because I'm a female and over 30. For traditional students (especially guys) it might be a better option. I've done Macori all 4 years, which isn't great, but I haven't really needed it either.

I can't remember exactly, but it seemed like BCBS was both cheaper and more encompassing than Macori, but that may have been ms1 when I was seeing what student +1 plans would cost. I think I was paying around 300/mo or so, for me and my son.

Well it would be for me and my wife, but we will both be students. I have to just run the numbers and see what happens. Thanks for the input

Well it would be for me and my wife, but we will both be students. I have to just run the numbers and see what happens. Thanks for the input

Just make sure things relating to any preexisting conditions or hobbies/interests are covered before committing to it.

Two examples I know about...

For myself - Durable Medical Equipment was only covered up to the first $500 when I was there, which I would have blown through in 2 weeks. Thankfully my wife worked full time while I was a student and we only had to pay 20% copays.

For a classmate - had an accident while riding his motorcycle which resulted in a broken forearm that needed surgical repair - not covered by Macori since the injury was the result of operating a "2 or 3-wheeled motor vehicle".

Here's the info for this year, which I seriously doubt will change.

Last edited:
Before school started, I looked at both BCBS and Macori options. For this year, the Macori plan for just the student for a year ran around $1400 for Plan I and $800 for the bare bones Plan II. BCBS plans with a comparable deductible were $50-70 more on a per-month basis when compared to those costs (when I ran my numbers). I chose to go with the Macori option II because I never have been one to go to the doctor much and I don't take any meds. Your student health fee gives you free access to the family medicine center, which should be able to handle the majority of your common ills.

If you take any kind of medication, I would not go with the Macori plan. All you get with them is a pharmacy discount card. Also, to add to the Macori bad stories: my roommate, who is also on the plan, still had to go get an ortho referral from the family medicine center when he tore his achilles tendon. I guess going to the Presby ER wouldn't suffice for this. This delayed is initial consultation with the surgeon by a few days, he was pretty upset. So buyer beware with Macori, just cross your fingers and hope nothing bad happens.

Like I said focusing only on the NMS book would be how I would have done it if I had the rotation to do over again. With only 4 wks left it would be practically impossible. I just hated the NMS casefile book. Too many holes in it for me.

Did you check out the question book from the library for the rotation Jwax? It wasn't great, but it's free. I'll send you some questions too later if I remember.

Tried to do the casefiles book but I just hate it. It is organized in a way that does not work for my brain. Checked out the lange q&a book, but I've heard it was terrible. Debating whether to use it or not. Did the questions you sent (which kicked my a$s). Pretty sure today is going to involve Pestana, reading over the oral top 10 document, and pounding through some recall chapters w/a little first aid for the wards mixed in. I ought to have bought an actual text. Especially since....

I'm going to be a surgeon now!!!! :D Husband approved, I've decided, done deal. Scary. I won't be done with training until at least 2016, and it'll be 2018 if I do a trauma/critical care fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tried to do the casefiles book but I just hate it. It is organized in a way that does not work for my brain. Checked out the lange q&a book, but I've heard it was terrible. Debating whether to use it or not. Did the questions you sent (which kicked my a$s). Pretty sure today is going to involve Pestana, reading over the oral top 10 document, and pounding through some recall chapters w/a little first aid for the wards mixed in. I ought to have bought an actual text. Especially since....

I'm going to be a surgeon now!!!! :D Husband approved, I've decided, done deal. Scary. I won't be done with training until at least 2016, and it'll be 2018 if I do a trauma/critical care fellowship.

Congratulations on making the decision!

Make sure your husband takes a picture of you before starting internship, though. :p

Congratulations on making the decision!

Make sure your husband takes a picture of you before starting internship, though. :p

Shush! I've spent the last few weeks convincing him that he will indeed still get to see me during residency, and I intend to make good on my promise. Somehow.

Shush! I've spent the last few weeks convincing him that he will indeed still get to see me during residency, and I intend to make good on my promise. Somehow.

He will get to see you... sleeping. :laugh:

I'm off to bed now. Gotta rest up. Flying to Florida for a week's vacation on Monday.

So you still want the trauma/ER stuff, but you just want to spend most of your time doing bowel surgery... :smuggrin:

It'll be 2018 no matter what you do with your life.

Congrats on the clarity!

It is so wonderful to figure out exactly what I want to do with my life, and exactly where I want to go for residency.

The problem now is I don't want to do anything else. 2 months of medicine is going to make me homicidal.

It is so wonderful to figure out exactly what I want to do with my life, and exactly where I want to go for residency.

The problem now is I don't want to do anything else. 2 months of medicine is going to make me homicidal.

So you know where you want to do residency now too? Interesting. :idea: You'll have to tell me where next time I see you.

And yes, IM will make you go crazy, just enjoy the relatively late rounding even though it lasts all day long.

So you know where you want to do residency now too? Interesting. :idea: You'll have to tell me where next time I see you.

And yes, IM will make you go crazy, just enjoy the relatively late rounding even though it lasts all day long.

I can tell you now - I would love to stay here. I loved the residents, I like our hospitals, I think there is a great variety in cases, and the faculty is amazing. We've got several Hopkins trained faculty and several former Hopkin's faculty members. Amazing trauma department. Night float during the week so it seems (unless I'm being dumb) you don't have to take overnight call during the week. It's a good setup.

My IM team looks pretty nice right now, so it might turn out ok. Excited about not having to be there until ~7:30 or so tomorrow though rounding until noon makes me want to stab myself in the eyeballs. So does daily lecturing.

I did get to do an LP today though - my first and it was a success.

Last edited:
Step II Questions:

Do you have to have completed 3rd year before you take the exam?

If not, do you think they'll let me skip a day (or two) on psych (my last rotation) to go down to Houston to take it?

Anyone remember the dates that we will be doing our mock CS? It would be super convenient if I could do that then in the following days fly out to Houston to take it. I'm expecting to have a pretty heavy load early in the year (planning Trauma/CC month in July, Sub-I in August, +/- away rotation in Sept) so I don't think I can take it during that time and I'm pretty sure my clinical skills are going to deteriorate in 4th year so the sooner the better.
The dates have already filled up for the entire time we have break, other than one day (but I already have a flight purchased to visit my folks in CO during that one date so I can't make it).

I also would like some repeated advice on when to schedule CK. It would probably be in my interests to take it early enough for residency programs to be able to see it when I apply, but again, my first few months of 4th year are going to be pretty intense so I don't expect I could take it until Sept at the earliest. Unless I took it over the break :eek:. Is late Sept too late? Or is late Sept/mid October going to be soon enough that residency programs will be able to see it?

Thanks.

*Edit*

Looking through the step II forums, it seems like most people would recommend someone in my position take the exam earlier rather than later. So, I'm thinking now I ought to do something easy in July (like... geriatrics?) then sub-i in August and trauma/cc in Sept. Would rather do trauma first, but it seems like Sept is too late for a sub-i... right? Applications are due by the beginning of Sept or the end? Why do I know so little about applying for residency when I knew so much about applying for med school? Ugh.

*Re-Edit*

Glad I wasn't anxiously awaiting an answer. A former frequent flier of SDN gave me some info so I guess I know most of the above questions now. Currently thinking maybe a rural rotation in July, Step II CS for sure during that month, CK likely. Then the trauma/cc sub-I (apparently it IS a sub-I so I wouldn't have to do trauma and another sub-I month) in August, then maybe an away in September.

Last edited:
Glad I wasn't anxiously awaiting an answer. A former frequent flier of SDN gave me some info so I guess I know most of the above questions now. Currently thinking maybe a rural rotation in July, Step II CS for sure during that month, CK likely. Then the trauma/cc sub-I (apparently it IS a sub-I so I wouldn't have to do trauma and another sub-I month) in August, then maybe an away in September.

I've been on an interesting internet connection, to say the least. I could read posts, but I couldn't reply. Same thing on FB. Couldn't load yahoo, but could zombiehunters.org. Not that I believe in zombies. :cool:

But I didn't really have much to add. Especially after I realized you weren't talking about CK.

All the big news next week means is that I have even less time to get my house market-ready....:eek:

All the big news next week means is that I have even less time to get my house market-ready....:eek:

I'm starting a year early on it. New granite countertops in the kitchen this week to go along with the refinished cabinets and all new appliances. Repainted the entire exterior and replaced some of the siding. Hope to have it on the market next month but who knows when it will sell...

Jwax, some thoughts for your scheduling stuff. Both CK and CS in July sounds like a good idea. I did CS in July and had zero regrets about that. But to save yourself some extra anxiety, check the score release dates to pick which time in July to take it. I took in on the 2nd day of a new score release period, so I had to wait almost the full 3 months. If I had taken it just a few days earlier, I would have gotten my score nearly 2 months earlier.

For CK, it's definitely an easier test than Step 1, so you don't need to allot a ton of time studying for it. As for timing, though, it's so dependent on your Step 1 score, the specialty you're applying to and when that specialty generally gives interviews.

As for aways, I don't really know since I didn't do any. I can say they're probably not super critical for general surgery, especially since you like your home program. From what I've heard, though, any time before November is OK. November might be OK, too, except you might have to take time off to interview elsewhere.

Congrats to everyone for matching and not having to scramble! At least I'm presuming all of you smarties matched. Match party is Thursday? :xf:

Went ahead and scheduled CS for July 9. Will set CK for sometime around the end of July. :eek:

Need to work on finding where I want to go for an away. I know an away isn't necessary, but I'd still like to do one for the experience more than anything else. It just sounds like fun.

Congrats to everyone for matching and not having to scramble! At least I'm presuming all of you smarties matched. Match party is Thursday? :xf:

Went ahead and scheduled CS for July 9. Will set CK for sometime around the end of July. :eek:

Need to work on finding where I want to go for an away. I know an away isn't necessary, but I'd still like to do one for the experience more than anything else. It just sounds like fun.

Thanks! The bad news is that a good number of people didn't match in a lot of different specialties (not just the uber-competitive ones). So my advice for everyone next year is to research a lot on the specialty you're going into and to apply and interview broadly. Specific #s vary based on fields, but don't assume you'll get a spot at your home program because it's not a guarantee. And of course don't assume that you shouldn't take the application process seriously because you're not applying in a ROAD specialty.

Also, it sounds like taking CS and CK early is a good idea because people who are scrambling are getting asked about those scores. Of course the exception for CK is if you did great on Step 1 and feel like you can't guarantee you'll do as well on CK.

Thanks! The bad news is that a good number of people didn't match in a lot of different specialties (not just the uber-competitive ones). So my advice for everyone next year is to research a lot on the specialty you're going into and to apply and interview broadly. Specific #s vary based on fields, but don't assume you'll get a spot at your home program because it's not a guarantee. And of course don't assume that you shouldn't take the application process seriously because you're not applying in a ROAD specialty.

Also, it sounds like taking CS and CK early is a good idea because people who are scrambling are getting asked about those scores. Of course the exception for CK is if you did great on Step 1 and feel like you can't guarantee you'll do as well on CK.

Do you guys have your own Tulsa Reveal? You know, like ours, only smaller? Here's to hoping everyone up there got good news...

Somebody needs to post the match list ASAP after noon... ;)

They didn't give it to us in Tulsa, and it's not on hippocrates yet. It would be awesome if anybody else wants to post it. Off the top of my head for Tulsa specialties --

Psych -- 3
Anesthesia -- 3
EM -- 2
FM -- 2
Neuro -- 1
Ob/gyn -- 1
Vascular Sugery -- 1
Derm -- 1
Neurosurgery -- 1
Urology -- 1
Prelim surg -- 1
Peds -- 5
IM -- 2

Particular programs for us --
Psych -- OHSU (me!!), OU-Tulsa, UC-Davis
EM -- OU-Tulsa (2)
FM -- Providence Milwaukee (Portland, OR)
Neuro -- Methodist (Houston)
Ob/gyn -- LSU-Shreveport
Vascular Surgery -- Cleveland Clinic
Derm -- Univ of CT
Neurosurgery -- University of Cincinnati
Urology -- Henry Ford (Detroit)
Prelim surg -- Greenville, SC
Peds -- Columbia, Rush, SLU, OU-Tulsa (2)
IM -- OU-Tulsa, Scott & White
Anesthesia -- OU, Emory, UAB

It came to our email, but in .docx, which I can never open. I'll have to see if the PC will open it...

Is it too early for next year's first years to pop in and say hi?

Hope the fourth years had good news today... er, yesterday. :)

OK, here's a breakdown of the match list. * means Tulsa students.

Family Medicine (23)
Integris Baptist, OKC (5)
OU-OKC (4)
Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI
OU-Tulsa (2)
SW OK Family Med Center, Lawton, OK
St. Anthony, OKC (5) * (one Tulsa grad, 4 OKC)
Ventura County Medical Center, Ventura, CA
Prov Milwaukee, Portland, OR *
UAMS, Fayetteville, AR
Research Medical Center, Kansas City, MO
Univ of Texas Health Sciences Center, Tyler, TX

Anesthesiology (8)
OU (4) * (one Tulsa, 3 OKC)
Emory, Atlanta, GA *
UAB, Birmingham, AL *
University Hospitals Case Medical Ctr, Cleveland, OH
WSU/Detroit Medical Center, MI

Psychiatry (10)
U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
U of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
OU-OKC (3)
OU-Tulsa (2) * (one Tulsa, one OKC)
Barnes Jewish, St. Louis, MO
OHSU, Portland, OR *
UC-Davis, Sacramento, CA *

FM/Psych (1)
U of Iowa, Iowa City, IA

Orthopedic Surgery (5)
Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA
SAMMC, Lackland AFB, TX
U of S Florida, Tampa, FL
U of Florida, Jacksonville, FL
Banner Good Sam, Phoenix, AZ

Pediatrics (19)
OU-OKC (8)
OU-Tulsa (3) * (2 Tulsa, one OKC)
Children's Mercy, Kansas City, MO (2)
St. Louis U, St. Louis, MO *
U of Rochester/Strong Memorial, Rochester, NY
UAMS, Little Rock, AR
Rush, Chicago, IL *
NYP Hospital Columbia, NY, NY *
Grand Rapids Med Education Center, Grand Rapids, MI

Emergency Medicine (7)
OU-Tulsa (4) * (2 Tulsa, 2 OKC)
UAB, Birmingham, AL
Synergy Med Alliance, Saginaw, MI
U of Florida, Jacksonville, FL

Med Peds (3)
OU-OKC (2)
U of Tennessee, Memphis, TN

Radiology (7)
Integris Baptist, OKC (2)
UAMS, Little Rock, AR
UMKC, Kansas City, MO
Texas A&M Scott & White, Temple, TX
OU
Mayo, Rochester, MN

Internal Medicine (14)
Baylor, Houston, TX
OU-OKC (4)
OU-Tulsa *
Yale, New Haven, CT
SAMMC, Lackland AFB, TX
Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC
Barnes Jewish, St. Louis, MO
Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA
Creighton University, Omaha, NE
Texas A&M Scott & White, Temple, TX *
UMASS, Worcester, MA

Derm (4)
OU (2)
OHSU
U of CT, Farmingham, CT *

Ob/gyn (7)
Orlando Health, Orlando, FL
OU-OKC (3)
LSU-Shreveport, Shreveport, LA *
UAB, Birmingham, AL

General Surgery, Categorical (8)
Orlando Health, Orlando, FL
Northwestern, Chicago, IL
Navy Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA *
Baylor U, Dallas, TX
OU-OKC (2)
WSU/Detroit, Detroit, MI

Neurology (8)
OU (2)
Baylor, Houston, TX (2)
Emory, Atlanta, GA
Methodist, Houston, TX *
UCSD, San Diego, CA
U of Iowa, Iowa City, IA

ORL (2)
Wayne State, Detroit, MI
OU

Urology (5)
UT-Houston, Houston, TX
Henry Ford, Detroit, MI *
OU
U of Toledo, Toledo, OH
Mayo, Scottsdale, AZ

Neurosurgery (2)
University Hospital - Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH *
University of Rochester, Rochester, NY

Pathology (1)
UT Southwestern, Dallas, TX

Ophthalmology (2)
U of Kansas, Kansas City, KS
OU

Plastic Surgery (1)
OU

Vascular Surgery (1)
Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH *

Surgery - Prelim (3) (not including people who matched to an advanced position
OU-Tulsa
U of S. Carolina-Greenville, Greenville, SC *
U of Tenn, Chattanooga, TN

Medicine-Prelim (not including people who matched to advanced positions)
OU-Tulsa (3) * (1 Tulsa, 2 OKC)

Last edited:
Hey Dr. Bagel I hope you got your 1st choice! Congrats, either way!

Is it too early for next year's first years to pop in and say hi?

Never too early. Welcome to hell, so they say. Theoretically, it will be worth it in the end but you're in for a bumpy ride! :)

Had a weird adverse reaction to the 4th year's match. Don't know why, but I went into a bit of a state of panic yesterday after seeing how few people matched at OU in gen surg and hearing that 4 people had to scramble to prelim/family med. I feel a little better after seeing Bagel's list. It looks better than I had in my head originally. Just still freaked that I could end up not matching. :(

Had a weird adverse reaction to the 4th year's match. Don't know why, but I went into a bit of a state of panic yesterday after seeing how few people matched at OU in gen surg and hearing that 4 people had to scramble to prelim/family med. I feel a little better after seeing Bagel's list. It looks better than I had in my head originally. Just still freaked that I could end up not matching. :(

Not to worry. I was really, really impressed with the Class of 2010 match list. There's nothing wrong with anybody's specialty, of course!! But I don't think OU has had a class with so many people willing to do primary care in many years, and a significant number of us are staying in Oklahoma. I'm proud of all of us, but I'm especially proud about that.

I can't really figure-out what happened to our class as far as the 3 or 4 who didn't match... I think they obviously didn't have enough "safety programs" ranked - there really is no reason for a U.S. allopathic graduate to have to scramble, IMO...

I would second the advice on taking CS and CK early. Leave yourself time to study for CK - I studied longer and increased my score a fair amount over my Step 1 score (which wasn't shabby, by any means) - I didn't have my CK score for my first few interviews, but I think it did help my final rankings after it came out - the number of love notes I got in the mail definitely seemed to go up. You get the score back in 4 weeks or less (mine was 3), so I would take time to make sure you're adequately prepared. As long as you did reasonably well on Step 1, I personally don't think you need to have CK posted to get interviews; you should have it before final rankings.

CS is another matter. My thought is that OU allows us too much freedom on CS. Some schools require CS passage for graduation, and I think we're going to have to do something like that. CS isn't all that difficult if you just spend a few days studying First Aid for CS, but I think that it is definitely not the blow-off that it used to be - the NBME is serious about it. As Bagel was saying, it can take over 3 months to get your score back - and you may not leave yourself enough time to re-take the test and get another score before residency starts if you happen to fail (I've heard of at least one person who had to sit out of residency for a year because of not having a passing CS in time for licensure). I don't think many programs require CS to rank, but at the last minute some of mine made it clear that they preferred to have it. I had originally scheduled my exam in January and had to move it back to December 11. Even that would have been cutting it way too close if I'd failed and had to re-take. It's a stupid exam, it costs too much, it takes too long to get scores back - but you have to have it, so I think the earlier the better (as long as you haven't lost your clinical skills over a summer break - I took mine during my EM rotation, and was definitely more up-to-speed on interview skills).

Never too early. Welcome to hell, so they say. Theoretically, it will be worth it in the end but you're in for a bumpy ride! :)

Unfortunately general surgery seemed to be one of the specialties that had the most people not matching. You certainly don't have to be a superstar to match in GS, but I think people underestimate its competitiveness and don't apply to enough programs. Also, be suspicious of people giving you outdated information because most fields have gotten more competitive in the past few years.

Unfortunately general surgery seemed to be one of the specialties that had the most people not matching. You certainly don't have to be a superstar to match in GS, but I think people underestimate its competitiveness and don't apply to enough programs. Also, be suspicious of people giving you outdated information because most fields have gotten more competitive in the past few years.

Have a pretty strong plan set out in my mind. Relatively confident I can work it out. Think if I rank ~15 or so places, including some "safety" places, it should be ok. Just going into it with the respectful thought that it is easy to not match and there are no guarantees. Anyways... going to worry about that at a later date. Like, November. For now... 5 more weeks of internal med. 2 weeks of ortho. 6 weeks of psych. Then third year is over!!! So pretty much in 5 weeks third year is done for me. Just study and psycation time. ;)

CS set for July 9, CK set for July 26. Intending on a rural rotation at one of the "blow-off" places. By the way, if you have any insight that the hippocrates document about rural locations didn't provide (ie you'd like to tell me which is the best place for my step II study prep and which one is not), let me know. I've heard some insight but since these are just a few reports here and there, more is always better.

CS set for July 9, CK set for July 26. Intending on a rural rotation at one of the "blow-off" places. By the way, if you have any insight that the hippocrates document about rural locations didn't provide (ie you'd like to tell me which is the best place for my step II study prep and which one is not), let me know. I've heard some insight but since these are just a few reports here and there, more is always better.

I did my rural in Altus. I wouldn't call it a vacation or blow off location, but I definitely liked it. You work with a family physician. Most days are 7ish to 5ish. If he has patients in the hospital (0-3, usually), you round on them together in the morning then go to clinic. He does his own OB, including C-sections. I got to scrub in on three during the month, with about 4 or 5 vaginal deliveries. They put me up in a hotel and gave me free meals at the hospital cafeteria.

He had to go do an emergent C-section one afternoon, so I got to run the clinic practically by myself for about 2 hours. :p