University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soonereng

Double Trouble
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is just a continuation of the last thread that will always get closed.

The previous incarnation can be found here.

Members don't see this ad.

This is just a contination of the last thread that will always get closed.

The previous incarnation can be found here.

Thanks, soonereng! Way to be on top of things.

So I'm finally getting to the Chung videos. WOW they are great! I really like O'don's videos, but only if Odon is doing it. Chung does an amazing job covering everything and usually repeating it three times a piece. So... :thumbup: to Chung. I think that I will be watching them sooner next TB. Although they are starting to make me tired, being 12 minutes long a piece.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Dr. Chung's videos. :D

I'm now getting to your nasal cavity notegroup, Jwax. I'm scared of its length. :scared: J/K. :)

I love Dr. Chung's videos. :D

I'm now getting to your nasal cavity notegroup, Jwax. I'm scared of its length. :scared: J/K. :)

Yeah, I've been too scared of it to look at it myself! :oops: I kinda opted to not look at many notegroups tonight. Just mostly the pharynx / larynx area. The thing that I am still most confused about is anything with a ganglion and autonomic association. The only thing I know is sympathetic supply generally comes from superior cervical ganglion. All the other ganglions (ciliary, semilunar, otic, pterygopalatine....) are all just going to have to wait until just before the written tomorrow. I'm in the early practical group :( so I have a little time to just focus on the written after the practical :).

Have fun with those notes - they were a biatch... all of that autonomic stuff in there confused the crap outta me. I tried to just write exactly what was said and added a little via the aid of wiki.

I met someone else today who told me my notes were awesome and I deserve a notegroups writer of the year award. :D I liked it. He ragged on me for their lenght though... I apologize sincerely for every note group I write that is 10 + pages. I just can't seem to cut 'em down w/o ditching pictures and useful info.

Okay time for bed! Almost 7 hours of sleep in store for me tonight... minus the hour I'll spend tossing and turning.

I ended up skimming it. Now I'm on the larynx and then it's bedtime for me too! Good luck to everyone tomorrow. :luck:

I apologize sincerely for every note group I write that is 10 + pages. I just can't seem to cut 'em down w/o ditching pictures and useful info.

To me, a 10-page or longer notegroup document is just fine, as long as it's that length because of the pictures. I personally love when the pertinent pictures are in the document. Saves tons of time looking back at the presentation, etc.

Things that I've noticed about pulling all nighters for tests:

1. My grades for these test are generally lower. I haven't been able to determine if this is a function of not being prepared or a function of sleep deprivation. I think the former is more likely to be true.

2. My ability to recall memorized facts does not decrease much with sleep deprivation, but my ability to drive, do math, and shave properly does decrease. Lucky, critical thinking tasks are at a minimum in medical school. Yes, shaving is a critical thinking task.

3. At about 3:30, I find it much easier to stay up all night. If I give up, its usually before that time.

4. I will spend at least 2 hours during the all nighter exploring facebook.com, digg.com, youtube.com, webcomics, and computer science blogs (if I can just prove P=NP I'll die a happy man).

5. I end up posting very nerdy, unfunny, stupid posts on a website read by people that go to my school, but who I have never spoken more than 20 words in person to in the past 1.5 years.

5. I end up posting very nerdy, unfunny, stupid posts on a website read by people that go to my school, but who I have never spoken more than 20 words in person to in the past 1.5 years.

This sort of makes me sad. :( I like your posts on hippo. I appreciate all the people who post there, especially during test block when we all want to waste time. It's too bad that most people in our class don't post there -- it seems like the 2009 people had a much more active online personality.

I can't pull all nighters because I just don't have the discipline. I haven't done it since ugrad, so close to 10 years ago, and that was generally for writing papers.

I'm just dropping in to post in the new thread.

Oh, and good luck to everyone on the anatomy exam.

worst. birthday. ever.

I was let down by the absence of the tadalafil question (pun intended). That whole test sucked.

Members don't see this ad :)
This sort of makes me sad. :( I like your posts on hippo. I appreciate all the people who post there, especially during test block when we all want to waste time. It's too bad that most people in our class don't post there -- it seems like the 2009 people had a much more active online personality.

I can't pull all nighters because I just don't have the discipline. I haven't done it since ugrad, so close to 10 years ago, and that was generally for writing papers.

Don't be too sad. I didn't mean for that to sound depressing or anything.

Anyway, I'm about to fill out that AMA letter to rep/senators. I'm wondering if I should just use the stock talking points...

I've personally never been ass-raped by a donkey, but if I ever have cause to, at least the sensation will be familiar.

Yeah, complement does release chemotactic factors. I completely don't remember what question you're talking about, so that's all I got. :) As for miskeying, I believe Dr. B. implied that she would look at your answer book if that happened. She said something like don't do it, but I've saved students in the past before or something.

Yeah, complement does release chemotactic factors. I completely don't remember what question you're talking about, so that's all I got. :) As for miskeying, I believe Dr. B. implied that she would look at your answer book if that happened. She said something like don't do it, but I've saved students in the past before or something.

Dr. Blair did that for me last spring, went to the exam to see if I had answered one that I skipped on the scantron. Of course I had scratched out nonsensical answers, which left four or so, but hadn't made clear which one of the survivors I wanted. That's when I started just taking the exam like you were going to turn it in without a scantron and just coding my choices afterwards...

Dr. Blair did that for me last spring, went to the exam to see if I had answered one that I skipped on the scantron. Of course I had scratched out nonsensical answers, which left four or so, but hadn't made clear which one of the survivors I wanted. That's when I started just taking the exam like you were going to turn it in without a scantron and just coding my choices afterwards...

That's pretty nice. I'm always worried about miskeying, which means I do the anal check my scantron versus my answer sheet thing before leaving.

That's pretty nice. I'm always worried about miskeying, which means I do the anal check my scantron versus my answer sheet thing before leaving.

I have a pretty detailed method... I cross out the answers I don't want on the exam, circle my choice AND write the letter of my answer to the side. I do this for the whole page, then I fill in the letters on my take home answer sheet. About halfway through the exam, I transfer these answers to the bubble sheet. I do 10 at a time, then go back and check to see if these ten match the ten I have on my answer sheet.

I am really anal on that particular area. I don't want to lose points for being inattentive and miskeying, just for not knowing the answers.

Anatomy practical = ehhh... coulda been worse. Got to talk to odon during the exam so that was pleasant. He winked at me, which I know he does to everyone but winks are hot. So, not mad at Odon anymore :D.

I'm blatantly avoiding studying for the anatomy written...

The pharm key is posted. :thumbup:

Yeah, it really is too bad about the hippo board. Previous classes have been pretty open to using it and been willing to post negative things about the school. For reason, our class is so scared of being dinged for being unprofessional that we're all scared to use it. I honestly don't know if those feelings are merited, but I think it's too bad we all feel that way.

Speaking of the board and being read by higher ups, Leon did ask me remove a study guide I posted once because he thought it would reflect poorly on him -- it's the one where he did the review session for Hanas. I guess he thought Hanas would be pissed or something. Anyway I thought it was lame.

So do we have this pharm guy again who can't be bothered to update his syllabus?

i refuse to grade my test, i am sure i got phucked.

Anxiously awaiting anatomy answers to be posted....

In the mean time, I've got about 3.5 hours to study HB, then it is time to get pretty to go out and shake my groove thing! I refuse to let school screw up my Halloween this year. Next year, if the same problem occurs, I'll probably choose the responsible path, but this time around I say screw it.

Time for some high yield HB.

i refuse to grade my test, i am sure i got phucked.

I was trying to find the frame of American History X where Ed Norton is post-coital in the floor of the shower, to really convey how well I got punked.

All I could think of on the ride home was "I haven't been fuct like that since grade school" courtesy of another Ed Norton movie...

Then someone honked at me. I normally have NO restraint when it comes to crap like this, but I KNEW it would not turn out well if it came to a scrum. Either a. I'd get run over and die (JR ex-2010 is my hero, so I'm human-powered to school) or b. I'd still be :beat: someone to death with the avulsed stump of their bloody arm yelling "I GOT YOUR AP DURATION RIGHT HERE BITCHES!!!" when the cops showed up. So I just smiled and waved.

I was trying to find the frame of American History X where Ed Norton is post-coital in the floor of the shower, to really convey how well I got punked.

ya i just watched that movie a few weeks ago. the difference is i have to sit on my ass and read the rest of the night in order to not repeat my pharm performance for IHI. i cant lie on my stomach and cry myself to sleep, id like to though.

Hey, guys, I know I haven't been around for a while. I was just looking for some emotional support on that Pharm test. God almighty. I didn't do too swift on the first exam, so I studied my a** off for that exam, and still went down in flames. Like those first two exams are the worst scores I've ever gotten in medical school - by a considerable margin. What's up with that course? I knew IHI was going to be hard, but nobody said "pharm is a killer." Did they change test banks or something?

I just don't get it. I mean, MMI was a back-breaking amount of material but I did OK. What is the deal with pharm???

I'm depressed.

So any advice on what to focus on for the HB Tb2?

Unfortunately Dr. Tucker's questions are a little ambiguous. Know the abuse pictures and what would cause each thing. I'd recommend focusing on notegroups over the syllabus just because her syllabus is so lengthy. I remember having some questions about what the safest types of sex were adn what to do if you had a patient with heart disease who wanted to have sex with his wife. What's the best option there? I don't think there's much prep you can do for the spirituality stuff, and Monnot's material is all on her powerpoint (or at least it was last year).

I'm looking at the Tucker stuff on hippo to see if I can remember anything. I do think there were questions on the sexual identity stuff, which is pretty straightforward. Know that to get your easy points. Know the phases in the sexual response cycle. Know about female masturbation. We did not have to know STD stuff, but I don't know if you guys are expected to know it or not. Probably important to know that you can't normally recognize when someone is gay and also the biological stuff she mentioned there. Know what home environment exposes a child to the most risk (stepfather, unemployment, substance abuse, etc.). Know the sexual dysfunctions and how to treat them.

D@mn, it sounds like I'm telling you to know everything.

So any advice on what to focus on for the HB Tb2?
I'd be careful with tomorrow's exam. We were always told that Dr. Tucker's test questions were outrageous but she was pretty reasonable last year. She may have decided that the pendulum swung too far in the "easing up" direction. But I would take her material seriously. Very seriously. And, while her sex stuff is amusing, she obviously has a big personal investment in the domestic violence stuff - know it. Know all her stuff - you might think some of it's fluff, but she doesn't.

Don't get rattled when you walk in and see a special weird Scantron with "A" through "I" answer bubbles. I thought it meant there would be more than 5 answer choices on multiple choice - but it's really for her matching sections.

Hey, guys, I know I haven't been around for a while. I was just looking for some emotional support on that Pharm test. God almighty. I didn't do too swift on the first exam, so I studied my a** off for that exam, and still went down in flames. Like those first two exams are the worst scores I've ever gotten in medical school - by a considerable margin. What's up with that course? I knew IHI was going to be hard, but nobody said "pharm is a killer." Did they change test banks or something?

I just don't get it. I mean, MMI was a back-breaking amount of material but I did OK. What is the deal with pharm???

I'm depressed.

We need the hugs smiley. Yeah, I don't know what's up with pharm. I would rank today's test as definitely harder than the last IHI test. Yeah, I thought it would be a tedious but not super challenging class.

Oh yeah, adding my one thought about pharm studying. I think we need more question banks. With that type of pure memorization material, question banks are really helpful, and we have nothing except the Okie Notes, which are old and drugs they don't even teach anymore.

Don't get rattled when you walk in and see a special weird Scantron with "A" through "I" answer bubbles. I thought it meant there would be more than 5 answer choices on multiple choice - but it's really for her matching sections.

Nice to know. I definitely had interpreted that as there being more than five answer choices on the MC.

I guess I better get started.

that sounded like a jwax comment.
LOL!!! Well, sexual dysfunction and domestic violence are her subspecialties - I mean, she does research on that stuff. I thought it was very fun being an old guy when she was teaching the class "hip street slang" for certain things. I wanted to go up to her after class and say, "actually, I haven't heard that term used since 1982."

I can drown my sorrows in chocolate. Normally, I never "do" Halloween - too family-oriented for me. But, this year, to be nice to the little kids in the 'hood down here, I bought chocolate. I completely forgot about the dog. There's no way I'm spending an evening with her locked in a bedroom trying to tear the door off the hinges. It's going to be drawn blinds and darkness on the front porch at Non-Trad's house tonight after all. Although my dog would still like to give you a treat, glp.

I completely forgot about the dog. There's no way I'm spending an evening with her locked in a bedroom trying to tear the door off the hinges. It's going to be drawn blinds and darkness on the front porch at Non-Trad's house tonight after all. Although my dog would still like to give you a treat, glp.

that dog is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I know this was an old q, but we never have internet time so I'm behind :( Anyway, want2beadoc wanted to know how much of the first two years is clinically relevant. The answer...
...surprisingly, alot :( I would say greater than 1/2, though certainly not 100%. I do know that lots of things that I blew off in the first two years are coming back to haunt me this year. But the GOOD news is that if it's really important, you'll get it again 3rd year. You may wonder why we have to do it the first time you're going to get it again, but there really is a reason. They would not have time to teach it if you'd never had the material before. Third year "teaching" is more like reaching into your brain to tickle a memory you thought you'd forgotten... which takes much less time. They don't really need to "explain" anymore, they just remind you.

And then you're like OOOOOHHHHHHH now I remember that Dr. Ross lecture that he's currently pimping me on TWO YEARS LATER... yes he is my attending right now, yes he is pimping me on his FIRST YEAR lectures (To residents: "Don't answer for them, they've had the lecture, they know it.") and yes he is making me read an article from 1959 and yes some articles from 1959 are actually on Ovid. Now that I've ranted, tell me if I answered any of your question :)

I saw that you had an inapparent vertebral artery. Did it look like a massive hose the size of an average carotid? If so, they saved last year's body for that part specifically.

Actually, no. I got that one right. I'm referring specifically to the supposed mylohyoid line that looked an awful lot like the submandibular fossa. And a few other ones too. :mad:

...surprisingly, alot :( I would say greater than 1/2, though certainly not 100%.

It's good to hear that. Gives new meaning to my life. ;)

In undergrad I took a wonderful class in neuroscience. We got to read a lot of the older articles, such as the Penfield and Broca papers. That information will always stick with me. Unfortunately I thought that my ms1 neuroscience course would be like that, and I was sadly mistaken. Reading those articles make you feel like your part of the discovery or something. You get the see the messy flaws and science in progress.

I understand why our neuroscience course is structured that way (because of the sheer volume of information), but it does take a lot of the spirit out of the information.

I really need to be sleeping or studying...

...surprisingly, alot :( I would say greater than 1/2, though certainly not 100%. I do know that lots of things that I blew off in the first two years are coming back to haunt me this year.

i hope its the same half i am learning. :D

So if anyone wants to see my babies, they and my wife will be in mod 213 during the HB test tomorrow, but you'll have to hurry, because when I'm done, we're getting the heck out of Dodge for the weekend.

Is Robbins worth it? I only have the Q book, but I feel like I'd like to see more images for the slide part of the exam. There don't seem to be a lot of them in the powerpoints.

ive never opened mine so i dont know.

I really like the pictures in Robbins because they have nice captions that tell you exactly what you're supposed to look for. :)

sounds like i should open mine up today and take a look. :)

sounds like i should open mine up today and take a look. :)
I very highly recommend Robbins' "Pocket Companion." It's a BRS-type version of the impossibly-long main text. It has the level of detail you need for Dr. H - BRS Path might have enough to pass boards, but it's not enough for an exam. I was desperate and bought both the Pocket Companion and the pathophysiology photobook that come with Robbins.

But what the heck do I know? I can barely pass a stupid pharmacy exam.

I can barely pass a stupid pharmacy exam.

And this is why I take people with a grain of salt when they say things like "my lowest exam score yet by a considerable margin." ;) :D

Everyone has different pain thresholds I guess. But save the depression for when you go sub-70 and can really use it. That way, you haven't built up a tolerance and can really dwell in the depths of doubt and self-loathing.

Good to see you around these parts. Which sounds funny since I see you already.

I like big Robbins, but after emailing Holliman about my method and him basically saying you'll be really knowledgeable about things I may not ask, I haven't used it near as much. But it didn't seem to help last block anyway. I've reduced its use to the phrases in italics and the pictures with captions. I do use the qbook for it though, with the understanding that some of it doesn't apply. If I miss a q, go to the syllabus and can't answer it correctly, I toss it from my score. Like Chung's though, the explanations are money.

And totally unrelated to school, does the font on some these threads change boldness as it goes from, shunts if you will, left to right across the page on anyone else's screen? It isn't my display, but I wondered if it might be something else.

Hey, Freeze! Point taken. If a sizeable number of people did as crappy as I did or worse, I'll quit my carping (which is what I'm beginning to hear since I've been complaining). Last pharm phiasco, nobody else seemed very upset and I was well below average wondering what the heck I'd done wrong. Which is what's upsetting this time - I studied my tail off for that stupid test. I've gotten grades below what I wanted before, but I usually knew the reason why. This time, well, my best wasn't nearly what I wanted. If I could do OK on that rotten MMI test, I know it's not early-onset Alzheimer's.

I'll also take your advice and shelve the Robbins and start reading the actual IHI lectures. Ick.

As for smearing... must be one of those Apple things! You guys got your revenge on a couple of the MMI lectures, and probably didn't even know it. The PowerPoint pictures were compressed in an Apple-only format that wouldn't display on a Windows machine for love or money. Why I wanted to see the pictures so bad I took 2 hours to find the right format translator, I have no idea. They weren't that exciting when I was finished!

In the interest of clarity, I mean the 1500 pager. I can't speak on the utility of the pocket book. It might help, but I have the qbook and the monster.

And I like hearing the complaining, then the avg is like 87%. You know the type, but the ones who you usually hear are whining because they missed 3 and not 2, or some other similar level of pointless distress. It reminds me of professional athletes crying like babies about more money. I dunno. I'm just ready to get the week over with so I can stop feeling guilty about drinking before noon.