Oklahoma future 2011ers part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
err make that saterday....not going to class friday and having so many days off in a row is great, but i have no idea what day it is!

i cant spell for s*it either

Members don't see this ad.

Well I take it back. I just rode my bike to the bookstores around campus (actually I walked it after biting it hard 3 times on the ice) and the main roads around here are pretty decent. Neighborhood streets are horrible, however.

I haven't been out personally, but my husband went out yesterday and said that it was "so much fun", I think this translates into pretty icy. He wanted to take the baby out to go do donunts! He is pretty much insane I think.

Also one of his dump trucks flipped over on the highway last night, it's totalled. The highway patrol said that he couldn't call a wrecker to move it until Wednesday because of the road conditions.

I'm kind of hoping the roads are okay enough and school is open tomorrow. I'm going crazy here in this house! And last semester that snow day screwed everything up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to make a trip to the liquor store yesterday cause I was out of sam adams.... The roads were pretty slick around my house, but 44 had been bladed pretty nicely

An emergency run, eh. :D Man, we should have bought some booze -- at least that would have made being stuck at home more tolerable. :)

We're heading to Stillwater today, so I hope the roads are decent for that. I guess 35 should have been cleared.

Any guesses on when we'll hear anything from the school? I was originally expecting a Tuesday or Wednesday notice, but I'm questioning this due to the weather.

Stupid MLK day - keeping the mailman away :mad: ;)

Rachel D - think you'd be available for me to drop by & pick up those Netter's flashcards on Wednesday evening ~9:45? Since you're in south okc & I'm in n. okc & have to drive back from Norman at that time, it'd be conveinent. PM me and we can work out details. . . Oh, and I will smell like cadaver at that point in time :D .

FYI - Those of you feeling the "cooped-up blues" might consider grabbing whatever that might work as a sled and finding anything remotely resembling a slope. The packed sleet was so slippery that it barely took any angle at all to get decent sledding. Hubby and I went sledding yesterday and had such a blast that we are gearing back up for another run later this afternoon, despite all the sore muscles.

The roads in the city that are snow routes or highways are definitely drivable. The interstates are almost completely cleared. The roads in Stillwater are horrible, including 51, which was just a sheet of ice. :scared: None of you are probably stupid enough to drive to Stillwater today, though. :)

The roads in the city that are snow routes or highways are definitely drivable. The interstates are almost completely cleared. The roads in Stillwater are horrible, including 51, which was just a sheet of ice. :scared: None of you are probably stupid enough to drive to Stillwater today, though. :)

I quit having reasons to drive to Stillwater when my then fiancee transferred to OU. :p

And regarding the weather, there's a notice on www.ouhsc.edu/insideHSC saying that campus will be open tomorrow. Dang. :p My wife just got a phone call from her department head saying she doesn't have to work tomorrow (Moore Public Schools).

Was there class on Friday morning?

I know the afternoon got cancelled.

Oh and the roads would be much better if everyone would just get the **** out of my way. There were lanes before it snowed, there are still lanes now...

I quit having reasons to drive to Stillwater when my then fiancee transferred to OU. :p

And regarding the weather, there's a notice on www.ouhsc.edu/insideHSC saying that campus will be open tomorrow. Dang. :p My wife just got a phone call from her department head saying she doesn't have to work tomorrow (Moore Public Schools).

Aw, come on -- Stillwater's so much fun. :) On a semi-serious note, it is sort of fun for us because my parents are in California, and they have a hot tub and wine. :D

Freeze, to my knowledge, we had class Friday morning. I wasn't there, but the campus didn't close until noon. However, there are no mp3s for Friday, which is weird. Don't those usually get posted immediately?

Maybe JG has started low-balling the tapers too...:rolleyes:

Maybe JG has started low-balling the tapers too...:rolleyes:

Yeah, he charged $5. :D Luckily, no -- the person who recorded 'em just posted on hippocrates and said he'll be putting them up soon. Apparently some power outage caused problems with posting them.

Speaking of recording lectures, are you mac people thinking about getting windows so you can watch the broadcast stuff? It's one of those things where I'm changing my mind every two seconds.

I hadn't considered the prospect because I usually just follow the PPT separately, run the mp3 through quicktime for speed control, and keep my syllabi handy...

I may have a copy of it though, or the virtual PC program from OSU IT. I can't vouch for it's utility, as the Office for Mac I downloaded didn't work. I had to have them mail me one, so I may have a $5 bursar bill when/if I ever return to Stillwater. But I'll look anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oatmeal Raisin cookie bars were the answer, so we broke out the ingredients, bowls, etc.

In an unforeseen stroke of genius I hand the can of raisins to my wife and say, "Here are the raisins. I love you."

Go ahead... say it out loud without the period in the middle. It'll nearly make you sick.

I still don't get this... :confused:

And regarding the weather, there's a notice on www.ouhsc.edu/insideHSC saying that campus will be open tomorrow. Dang.

Be careful if you are driving to campus in the morning. I went in to work today at about 1400 and drove back home at 2230. The highways were fine, but the on and off ramps were not. In particular, I had some major issues exiting southbound 235 at 10th street. I had to have enough momentum to make it up the hill, but there was no way I would have been able to stop in time had there been somebody in front of me. Likewise when I tried to move east onto campus--everything was still ice/snow-packed, and my poor little Civic was not capable of stopping upon brake application. Fortunately I didn't run into anything.

I will say that it looked like they were trying to scrape the streets and clean off the parking lots, but I'm not planning on driving in tomorrow until my work shift (evening). (Let's face it, though, when was the last time I was spotted in class anyway?) I'm definitely not impressed with the cleanup efforts (or lack thereof). I might as well put ice skates on my car. I guess the only plus is that I just bounce off of stuff that I run into.

Damn NR, I've had that "King of Wishful Thinking" song in my head for a couple of days now. I finally gave up and downloaded it. I'm gonna have to start ignoring those old school You Tube links on the DB.

Hey does AV ever post/read stuff here? If so, congrats man!

in order to improve server response (or Lee's just busting all the mod's balls), all threads with 1K+ posts will be closed and a new thread started.

Beware of this in case our thread gets closed. MCW 2010 had a part 2 opened. Also, some of the old threads have been deleted resulting in some post numbers dropping. DrMom's were cut in half. :eek:

Her post total dropped from 32K to 15K overnight because they deleted some of the old conversational threads according to mssheadoc.

Beware of this in case our thread gets closed. MCW 2010 had a part 2 opened. Also, some of the old threads have been deleted resulting in some post numbers dropping. DrMom's were cut in half. :eek:

Scary. I bet she worked hard for that post count. :) So I need to make 2 more posts? :oops: I need to get in more fights on the pre-do board. ;)

Scary. I bet she worked hard for that post count. :) So I need to make 2 more posts? :oops: I need to get in more fights on the pre-do board. ;)

Yeah I read the thread about diets. I think that there were some pretty misinformed posts over there. There is nothing wrong with a vegetarian diet, but I think that one or two of those posters must have some kind of strange caveman machismo upbringing that keeps them from becoming educated.

I've only been an SDNer for a few months, but it's clear that the premed threads are much more active around here. I sometimes enjoy messing with them a little bit, but the repetition can get to be a little much. Most of the "what are my chances" Q's can be answered with an MSAR or a little web research, and I have already grown tired of the "these practitioners are pushing docs out of business" talks on allo. Occasionally I post on new threads for the simple fact that a novel point is being seemingly brought up. Most of the specialty threads are dormant, and I don't think that anyone reads financial aid.

I must say that I have enjoyed talking to people in other parts of the country, however, because what I have realized is that there seems to be no significant difference in overall med school content (DO or MD) among accredited programs. Admissions requirements are definitely variable, but after you get in, it seems to matter very little where you went.

yes....you're doomed. YOU'RE ALL DOOOOOOMED!!!!!

hehehehhahahaaaamuahahahaha!!!!!

Oh no! :scared:

Speaking of dread, I don't want to go to lab today. I hate lab -- I never wanted to see that room again. :(

Also, when the heck is it going to get above freezing?!

Don't. :cool:

Speaking of dread, I don't want to go to lab today. I hate lab -- I never wanted to see that room again. :(

Trudat. :thumbup: I had a thread about lab a while back, but I learned that it is more about demystifying the human body than learning. :confused: I was well demystified before I got here. A cadaver is nothing compared to fresh specimens in the path lab. :eek: I guess we get to demystify a brain now.

Also, when the heck is it going to get above freezing?!

Weather.com is projecting highs of 40 for Thursday and Friday, but the local news is saying more like 36/38. Dunno if it matters, more snow is coming this weekend. Hopefully next week will be better.

I hate to get on a soapbox, but I just don't understand why nobody attempted to clear some neighborhood roads. There are businesses, schools, and churches closed 3-4 days after the last precipitation. Are we supposed to sit at home and pray for sun or something? My neighborhood is still a skating rink. I promised myself a couple of years ago that I would stop complaining about how much more I liked living in Kansas (keeping in mind that the Kansas I grew up in was before the conservative coup) than Oklahoma, but this is testing my resolve.

I'm afraid that this weather is giving me an excuse not to study since I've been forced to use the Union gym instead of my regular health club. Can't study there. :thumbdown:

Neighborhood streets are awful. I hit two curbs today going 10 miles/hour around corners. It is supposed to snow on saturday now? sigh.

Are we supposed to sit at home and pray for sun or something? My neighborhood is still a skating rink. I promised myself a couple of years ago that I would stop complaining about how much more I liked living in Kansas (keeping in mind that the Kansas I grew up in was before the conservative coup) than Oklahoma, but this is testing my resolve.

I'm afraid that this weather is giving me an excuse not to study since I've been forced to use the Union gym instead of my regular health club. Can't study there. :thumbdown:

Yeah, I think so. The whole official plan revolves around it getting above freezing. It's worse in Stillwater where I think 6th and Perkins are the only clear roads. :eek:

Yeah, I guess I could skip lab. It's not required, is it? :cool:

Neighborhood streets are awful. I hit two curbs today going 10 miles/hour around corners. It is supposed to snow on saturday now? sigh.

Yep. Initially, the forecast said it was going to now but that it'd be in the high 30s so roads wouldn't be affected. Now, it's changed, and they're saying it'll snow and be below freezing. Last night, Gary England said we'd get 3 to 6 inches. :mad:

Yeah, I think so. The whole official plan revolves around it getting above freezing. It's worse in Stillwater where I think 6th and Perkins are the only clear roads. :eek:

Yeah, I guess I could skip lab. It's not required, is it? :cool:

Yeah, the roads in Stillwater are pretty bad. Perkins and 6th appear to be the only ones that were plowed, though a couple other roads are getting slightly better. There is still no way I will get out and drive because I have a rear-wheel drive truck that, even with a number of sand bags in the bed, gets zero traction. :thumbdown:

I also don't understand why only select sidewalks are plowed on campus. All they do is use a gator-like vehicle with a plow on the front. One would imagine that it wouldn't take too long to cover all of campus. I thought about purchasing some ice skates for my treks to class.

Yeah, the roads in Stillwater are pretty bad. Perkins and 6th appear to be the only ones that were plowed, though a couple other roads are getting slightly better. There is still no way I will get out and drive because I have a rear-wheel drive truck that, even with a number of sand bags in the bed, gets zero traction. :thumbdown:

I also don't understand why only select sidewalks are plowed on campus. All they do is use a gator-like vehicle with a plow on the front. One would imagine that it wouldn't take too long to cover all of campus. I thought about purchasing some ice skates for my treks to class.

Yeah, they didn't clear all the sidewalks on the OUHSC campus. For some reason, they cleared the sidewalks all going one way, but they didn't clear the sidewalks connecting those sidewalks. Basically, you could go north/south without any problem, but the east/west sidewalks were treacherous. Weird.

Some day, maybe, this stuff will melt.

We really really really need to import some snow plow crews from somewhere farther north. This is a disgrace! My wife's school is cancelled again tomorrow, and she'd bet money they cancel it for Friday as well cause the kids will just be freakin' worthless after spending 6 days out of class. Whenever they do get back it'll be like the first day all over again.

Come on highway folks. Get your act together.

It's kind of funny now that I think about it. I haven't seen a snowplow the whole time.

Any word on the return of Chung or ARSgate?

Nothing yet. I'm wondering how long to wait before bugging Dr. Schmidt about it again. I think I'll give it to the end of next week.

How about you beautiful ladies who got iced out of your hospital rotation?

Well, not super beautiful :), but I haven't heard anything back from Kim yet about what to do. I'm wondering if she's been out of the office or something -- I emailed her Monday night. :confused: Anyway, I have no clue what I'm supposed to do. She said in her email to us last week that there are no other dates available at Saints. I'm wondering if I can just interview someone and call it a day.

Ok, when there is a problem with the "database" on sdn don't keep submitting your post... Sorry...

How about you beautiful ladies who got iced out of your hospital rotation?

I went (reluctantly). It was a waste of time. It took an hour for us to get started and I spent about 20 minutes of the three hours I was there with a patient. We left around 9:45 or so. I would have left earlier but we were locked out of the building where my purse was so we had to wait for the resident to come back.
Exlaw- they probably don't even know you did not show. I'd just make something up for your interview (by "make up", I mean interview a family member :) ).

I went (reluctantly). It was a waste of time. It took an hour for us to get started and I spent about 20 minutes of the three hours I was there with a patient. We left around 9:45 or so. I would have left earlier but we were locked out of the building where my purse was so we had to wait for the resident to come back.
Exlaw- they probably don't even know you did not show. I'd just make something up for your interview (by "make up", I mean interview a family member :) ).

Bleh, I guess I should have gone. :) It should be easy to get someone to interview, though.

You can interview me if you want. ;)

When did you first notice that you were this attractive?

How long does it take your husband to stop thinking about you when you part ways in the morning?

Why do I feel fluttering in my chest when I read your posts?

Do you have a history of unwed female siblings?

Called up admissions today - they said letters were mailed yesterday afternoon. Does that mean it will be in my mail box today?!?!?!?

:clap:

There needs to be a fingers crossed icon.... I am so ready for good news :D .

Rachel - Thanks so much for the flashcards & your Chungs book... I imagine it will be very useful! Let me know whenever you need them back, if you need it before I say "hey, thanks here ya go."

Called up admissions today - they said letters were mailed yesterday afternoon. Does that mean it will be in my mail box today?!?!?!?

Hope so! :thumbup:

Don't fret if it's not there, though. My mail has been slow this week. :thumbdown:

FYI SDN does not seem to be updating right now. I had to stick the quote reference in here by yanking the post number out of the source code. I hope that they fix it soon.

So current MS1s...

You've had 2 weeks to get in the groove. So is the second semester stacking up to be easier or harder than the first in your expert medical student opinion?

So current MS1s...

You've had 2 weeks to get in the groove. So is the second semester stacking up to be easier or harder than the first in your expert medical student opinion?

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten in back into the school groove yet -- I need to work on that. :eek: I think it is harder, though, which matches with what the MS2s told us. One thing about the first semester is that biochem starts off really, really slowly -- seriously, you spend about two weeks covering about 2 days worth of material. That means you can really slack on biochem and only focus on anatomy at the start of school. With the second semester, it seems like both neuro and physiology pick up pretty quickly.

Anybody who interviewed last week seeing red yet???

No red envelope yet! Although I do know someone in Norman who got their deferral letter and he interviewed two days after me. WTF? What is that all about? Anybody else get anything? Is their any other way to get through all this waiting and anxiety w/o booze? I am like a stretched rubber band! I need to see red!

Status
Not open for further replies.